Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Australia? Don't leave your manners at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The snobbery towards people who wear jerseys as a casual item of clothing is bloody annoying.

And accusations of being a snob because you don't understand why someone would wear a sporting jersey socially are equally bloody annoying.

To me, a sporting jersey is a statement. It's a statement of support for a team, a nationality, a side, and all of the incumbent implications that go with that. Hence I find it peculiar when people wear those jerseys socially because I feel like it makes the above statements in a social setting. (It never occurs to me that either people wear them because they have nothing else clean, or because they're comfortable.) Then I wonder why people feel the need to make those statements in a social setting.

I have a t-shirt with a slogan that says 'If I have to find Jesus, does that mean he's hiding?' and a picture of a bearded character in a long white robe peeking out from behind a bush. I don't wear it unless I'm prepared for people to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I don't think that was aimed directly at you sweeper.

but Xavi is right, people instantly judge people on GAA jerseys, but not Man Utd jerseys etc
    I myself have done it several times, but we are in Australia, it can get bloody hot and sports jerseys can be ideal (they seem to be sweat resistant)

I wear my white Utd jersey a lot in the summer, as I can go for walks without looking ridiculous with huge sweat marks on my back and underarms.

FWIW I feel the same way about GAA and soccer jerseys.

So it doesn't matter what sporting top you have on, I'm judging you.

/sulks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

I never wear a GAA or soccer jersey in a social setting, but it doesn’t bother me if someone does. I would be more inclined to wear a rugby jersey – but only because I think they look better (I’m more of a GAA fan too).

To be honest, I think the whole ‘Bondi backpackers’ thing is blown out of proportion. I drink there regularly and have yet to see any real trouble. Sure, the Irish there drink too much – but I have yet to see any violence - not one punch thrown, in nearly the year I have been there. I don’t believe any of the Irish there purposely bother any locals (think back to that A Current Affair piece - saying the Irish stand out on the street and dont let him pass... bull***t).

It looks a lot worse because it is in a shopping area – so if someone is being removed from a pub or there are any arguments/shouting/singing outside, it looks a lot worse than if it were in Kings Cross or somewhere.

I am not embarrassed to be Irish in any way, but its disappointing to see that we are being seen in this light. Pity something can’t be done to show that we add to the area in some way and offset some of the negative publicity.

I understand $000’s were raised for the Queensland floods in the Tea Gardens (and possibly CnBull) a few months ago – I’d imagine 90% of this would have been from the Irish backpackers/residents but wonder if anyone even noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

hussey wrote: »
    I but Xavi is right, people instantly judge people on GAA jerseys, but not Man Utd jerseys etc
    I myself have done it several times, but we are in Australia, it can get bloody hot and sports jerseys can be ideal (they seem to be sweat resistant)

What would fairdinkum Aussies know about GAA jerseys?

It's only another Irishman whou would recognise that it's an Irishman running around being "Irish" in a GAA jersey.

It's not like Aussies would stay up all night to watch a GAA match, like they might to watch a match involving world renown teams like Man United and Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And accusations of being a snob because you don't understand why someone would wear a sporting jersey socially are equally bloody annoying.

How difficult is it to understand that some people treat a football shirt in the same way they treat a t-shirt or a shirt for Target? It's an item of clothing that's comfortable so I wear it.

As in my previous example, do you frown upon someone wearing a U2 Elevation Tour t-shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FWIW I feel the same way about GAA and soccer jerseys.

So it doesn't matter what sporting top you have on, I'm judging you.

/sulks
    I'm from Dublin. I support their GAA teams. I also own a Dublin jersey. I'll wear it out next Sunday when i watch the leinster final. I think thats reasonable.
    This would be making a statement, as you suggest above.

But I've also wore it to the gym, or out for a run. As mentioned its sweat resistant. Or if i was popping up to the shop i might throw it on. In this case its just a piece of Casual clothing. It might not be suited to your taste, Which is fine. But i think that judging me for wearing it is silly. As for the other poster, who suggested I'm insecure, I assure you that your assumption is ridiculous. I'd never judge somebody on their clothing, i think its sorta prejudiced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

On the clothing front we all Judge on clothing.

If we did not judge on clothing why would we bother personnally selecting items to wear.

We expect to be judged on what we wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MyKeyG wrote: »
    GAA jerseys my $%&£. I don't think I've ever met a Kiwi not wearing an All Black shirt capable of swearing like a sailor, falling about the place drunk.

Yes, almost every shop that sells T-shirts in New Zealand has one that says: "I support two teams: New Zealand and whoever is playing Australia." I really liked the Kiwis when I was there, and their heavish drinking didn't make them obnoxious.
    MyKeyG wrote: »

If the author wasn't so overly dramatic I might have believed it but alas this article to anybody with more than two brain cells in their head reflects a chip on his shoulder that goes far beyond his lies.

I agree. he sounds like one of those Irish immigrants in Australia who is forever ranting on about the evils of immigration. Basically, the message that twerps like that want to convey is: look at me and all the slobs where I came from, and which I'm not. Pathetic.:rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin. I support their GAA teams. I also own a Dublin jersey. I'll wear it out next Sunday when i watch the leinster final. I think thats reasonable.
    This would be making a statement, as you suggest above.

But I've also wore it to the gym, or out for a run. As mentioned its sweat resistant. Or if i was popping up to the shop i might throw it on. In this case its just a piece of Casual clothing. It might not be suited to your taste, Which is fine. But i think that judging me for wearing it is silly. As for the other poster, who suggested I'm insecure, I assure you that your assumption is ridiculous. I'd never judge somebody on their clothing, i think its sorta prejudiced.

To continue to dig my wardrobe-racism hole, while I don't think it's weird for you to don your jersey to watch a match on TV or in the pub (because that's donning the colours to support the team, which is what those jerseys are for, and I'd even accept you wearing your item of sports apparel while going to the gym or going running, given that it's an item of sports apparel - if I see you and your mates out wearing matching sporting jerseys and you're not either watching a sport or exercising, then yes, I think you look like a big statement-making bunch of muppets.

If I see a bunch of Man-U shirt wearing englishmen while I'm in Amsterdam, I assume it's a stag party; if I see a bunch of GAA-wearing Irishmen in St Kilda, I assume it's a bunch of drunken backpackers.

If they're GAA-wearing St Kilda-going rebel singers, it makes me cringe and yes, I do assume they're a bunch of morons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

*Double post*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The snobbery towards people who wear jerseys as a casual item of clothing is bloody annoying. I'm no Eire 32 head but I'll wear my Dublin jersey on a Saturday afternoon while out shopping or my Shelbourne jacket when it's pissing down with rain. They're, imo, nice and comfortable.

Granted there are **** who wear it as some sort of uniform but they're also the type who don't see anything but the inside of an Irish bar so aren't all that significant anyway in the grand scheme of things.

Is someone who wears a U2 t-shirt (god forbid) seen in the same light? Of course not.

You have hit your own nail on the head there. **** wear GAA jerseys abroad. U2 are a band so it is apples and oranges.

Zambia wrote: »
    On the clothing front we all Judge on clothing.

If we did not judge on clothing why would we bother personnally selecting items to wear.

We expect to be judged on what we wear.

Exactly. I would have the same attitude to someone who wore this..

Atheist-T-Shirts.jpg

To the poster who thinks one is prejudiced because of the clothes they wear I say grow up and be a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Funny thread and boy, does it go way off on a tangent.

Young Paddies abroad are the same in most western countries. Anyone who doesn't recognise what they do in themselves must have had quite a special childhood.

backpacking_FINAL.jpg

jank wrote: »
    Exactly. I would have the same attitude to someone who wore this..

To the poster who thinks one is prejudiced because of the clothes they wear I say grow up and be a man.

That's an interesting point you make about that "There is probably no God" T-shirt.

This is the one I'm wearing now. Just out of curiosity, what conclusion about me does it prompt in you?

My own feeling is that people look at T-shirts, but rarely give them a second thought.

To continue to dig my wardrobe-racism hole, while I don't think it's weird for you to don your jersey to watch a match on TV or in the pub (because that's donning the colours to support the team, which is what those jerseys are for, and I'd even accept you wearing your item of sports apparel while going to the gym or going running, given that it's an item of sports apparel - if I see you and your mates out wearing matching sporting jerseys and you're not either watching a sport or exercising, then yes, I think you look like a big statement-making bunch of muppets.

If I see a bunch of Man-U shirt wearing englishmen while I'm in Amsterdam, I assume it's a stag party; if I see a bunch of GAA-wearing Irishmen in St Kilda, I assume it's a bunch of drunken backpackers.

If they're GAA-wearing St Kilda-going rebel singers, it makes me cringe and yes, I do assume they're a bunch of morons.
    But's that's different. If there's a whole group of people in matching jerseys, without an obvious reason, then they've made a consciences effort to look the same. I agree they look like muppets. but this would apply if they wore matching tops from Ed Hardy. And i don't see how it applies if I'm alone in Coles

Me and a mate both own the same Henley top, i cringe if we both show up wearing it.

And i don't see how it applies if I'm alone in Coles

Ah now in fairness, all bets are off if you're alone in Coles. I live in a town where at least 25% of the shoppers in Coles are in their pyjamas and a further 25% are in their bare feet. You'd be positively posh in your Dublin jersey.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    That's an interesting point you make about that "There is probably no God" T-shirt.

This is the one I'm wearing now. Just out of curiosity, what conclusion about me does it prompt in you?

My own feeling is that people look at T-shirts, but rarely give them a second thought.
    I think you have something against lesbians ? But I dont know why...

LOL i never said i felt prejudiced against. I was talking about how you sound. Bigoted or narrow minded might have been better. I found you statement that only **** wear sports tops rather pathetic.
    If you had of said people who wear only sports tops then I'd agree. Its pretty sad. But i find it baffling that I'm labeled a wanker if i throw it on to grab milk and bread in the morning.
    I'm not offended or anything. I wear it only a few times a year. I'm not too concerned about your opinion of me on those days.

• Advertisement

I think you have something against lesbians ? But I dont know why...

Interesting reply, but I'm curious as to what you exactly mean by it. In fact, I have nothing against lesbians, probably because I have met only a few of them in my life and never had to suffer the pangs of regret that must result when a guy fancies a lesbian, but she is unattainable for him.

BTW, I think the text says: "Eat a beaver - save a tree". Isn't that something that also a heterosexual male could conceivably do?:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Wearing GAA and rugby jerseys abroad? To me it is just a sign of insecurity. The only times it would be acceptable is Paddys day or when going to an actual match with Ireland in it! Otherwise what are trying to prove?

I wear my Munster jersey quite a lot at home in Ireland... I'm a proud Munster supporter! Equally I wear my Ireland Rugby shirt.
    So..... if this is the way I dress regularly at home, and I feel comfortable in this attire, why is it so suddenly unacceptable for me to dress like this in another country?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

I agree with the article.

I was shocked travelling around Sydney on the lovely sunny evenings that every patch of green space wasnt decorated with a cider party, or a gang of youths screaming abuse at passersby, as is normal for my area.

Australian society, and the Police do not tolerate (ignore?) lawlessness the way Irish society and the Gardai do.

I wear my Munster jersey quite a lot at home in Ireland... I'm a proud Munster supporter! Equally I wear my Ireland Rugby shirt.
    So..... if this is the way I dress regularly at home, and I feel comfortable in this attire, why is it so suddenly unacceptable for me to dress like this in another country?
    When you get to Melbourne you wear that Jersey whenever you like Munster Girl.

Well as it is Russian I have no idea what it says but the Anti-Beaver sign is either some witty thing about vaginas or a statement about Beaver hunting.

Why wear such a t-shirt if one is not going to look at it again!?

One may look at it and think "liberal greenpeace hippy douchbag", someone else may think "Fair play dude!"
    All depends on your outlook on the world of course.

Edit: didnt see the post above.

Interesting reply, but I'm curious as to what you exactly mean by it. In fact, I have nothing against lesbians, probably because I have met only a few of them in my life and never had to suffer the pangs of regret that must result when a guy fancies a lesbian, but she is unattainable for him.

BTW, I think the text says: "Eat a beaver - save a tree". Isn't that something that also a heterosexual male could conceivably do?:);)
    I just see the no beavers sign.

LOL i never said i felt prejudiced against. I was talking about how you sound. Bigoted or narrow minded might have been better. I found you statement that only **** wear sports tops rather pathetic.
    If you had of said people who wear only sports tops then I'd agree. Its pretty sad. But i find it baffling that I'm labeled a wanker if i throw it on to grab milk and bread in the morning.
    I'm not offended or anything. I wear it only a few times a year. I'm not too concerned about your opinion of me on those days.

So your conclusion is that I am a bigot because I dont like people wearing GAA jerseys abroad as if its some statement about their irishness! Wow, and you call me narrow minded? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why are people so preoccupied with what someone else is wearing? you are all gonna grow up to be curtain twitchers

I just see the no beavers sign.

It was the same with me until I spent a long time translating it. My wife bought it in Russia and the salesperson told her it was something to do with beavers destroying the forests there. Full marks for salesmanship!:)

BTW, I just saw a young man wearing a Lawndsowne rugby shirt here in the centre of Tallinn. He was behaving impeccably and had two really fine-looking women with him - Irish I think.;)

• Advertisement

To get away from T-shirts, one thing that never registered with me until fairly recently - because I spend as little time as possible in Dublin - is the number of women who go shopping in their pyjamas. It was only when I was visiting my daughter in Dublin and she commented disgustedly on it, that I began to notice it. Now I see it's spread to Tullamore, Portlaoise and places like that. I still don't get worked up about it, although I find it singularly unappealing, but my daughter and wife - both not Irish - think it is the height of slobbery.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement