Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Difference Between some .308s ?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Am looking at branching into the deer stalking next season thanks to another member of Boards who was good enough to take me out stalking last week for my first time and it made up my mind that I definitely want to get into it next season.
    I spoke to 2 RFDs today and told them both my intention to get into the stalking.
    The 1st lad shows me 2 .308s, a Blaser and a Sako, pricing the Blaser, 2nd hand at €1600 and well over a grand for the Sako 2nd hand.
    The 2nd RFD I went to showed me a Remington 700 with a silver barrell, brand new for €850 - Is there such a huge difference between Blaser \ Sako and Remington .308s to justify such a big price difference for your average shooter do ye think ?
    I'm interested to know ye're thoughts....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, yes, you'll get what you pay for. The Sako is the one I'd have of the bunch (But I'm biased - I do have one). If you don't pay now, you'll inevitably pay for upgrades to stocks and triggers, maybe bedding jobs, barrel crowns, maybe even rebarrelling altogether if it doesn't shoot well enough for your tastes, and it might even cost you quite a bit more in the long term. That's just me though. Factor in the cost of a top-notch trigger replacement for your Remington and you just bought the Sako, which doesn't need one. Try haggle with the dealer. If you can get the Sako for closer to the grand mark, I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

People say the Sako's are the closest you will get to a custom rifle from the factory. The Blaser is a rifle for life and looks like it is.

Some people like the Remingtons but at €850 new your still only getting half the rifle of the other two.

All will shoot and kill deer but it's like comparing cars - Audi to Ford, Toyota to the old Skoda's. You pay's ya money and you pick your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I've a Factory .308 Remington that I bought brand new for a grand and it clovers @ 100 yards with Hunting ammo.

I had a sako 6.5 also a fine rifle
    I like Blasers as they are very fast cycling.

However............................................
    For deer stalking all will do the same job.
    I was out today, saw a doe and Fawn at 25yards as they ran into heavy cover.

None of the rifle could have taken the shot required today.

If you can afford it, buy the Blaser. Very short rifle with the same length of barrel.Sako can be a heavy rifle.
    Remington has killed more deer than any other rifle;)

I would not buy the cheaper Remingtons.
    Remington offer Rifles to suit several price ranges

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=72

The above is a seriously accurate Remington .308 and is still a couple of hundred cheaper than a sako

I hate when people do not compare like with like;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

850 for a new stainless remmy is a good price.
    A good sako would be better but being second hand one doesn't really know. no risk no fun
    edi

Advertisement