Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Thread in Limerick City Forum.

Options
  • 19-02-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056184902

A complete thread destroyed by a mod who simply could have deleted the offensive posts and the personal information that was posted.

Since the original post was removed I will clarify the thread.

A person posts that he found a passport, posts the persons name and says "PM me if you want it back, have a reward ready"

A reply was made saying "Hand it into the Gardai"

OP replies saying "No reward, no passport"

Chaos ensues where the personal info is dug up on the OP.

OP relents a tad and says if he isnt contacted in 3 weeks or so he will hand it into the Gardai as he wants to deal with the person face to face.

OP has more personal details dug up and allegedly has the Gardai called on him.

OP relents fully and says he will hand it in.

The thread is full of personal insults to the guy, which I dont agree with, even if he is dishonest, it also has his name and address, which I DEFINITELY dont agree with as its dangerous to him.

However the over the top modding that occurred when the mods finally saw it was stupid TBH.

All that needed to be done was the personal insults infracted and the heavy stuff deleted (including the personal info), instead the whole thread is cleared. Apparently bans were given, but its not mentioned who.

Now it looks simply as if the guy did a good deed and handed in a lost passport.

It was a rather good thread completely destroyed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

for the record, I was one of the posters in reciept of ban, which I fully accept, I put his name up when i first discovered it, only after did i think thats a no no. I'm also the guy who called the cops on him with his personal details, which I didnt post on thread.

Apologies for posting the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

zuroph wrote: »
    only after did i think thats a no no

This is what gets me. How did you even have to consider that posting someone's personal details up is wrong?

And not only did you post up his details you went into AH to brag about it. Honestly, I would have thought that as a mod you'd know better and I hope that this is dealt with harshly.

Normally, I wouldn't care what shenanigans people get up to on the site but when you bring personal details into it I think a serious line has been crossed.

a name is all i posted, which was publically available from his skype which he had posted here. I also said castletroy, which he had said on boards himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its not quite as black and white as that twinQuins. Zuroph found his name but that was it. The OP was pretty much demanding a ransom for the passport.
    His English wasnt really the best, so it might have been a very poor attempt at a joke on his part, however if you read the thread you could understand how hackles were raised.

I mainly disagree with the clearing of the thread though. It was unneccesary. All that needed to go was the insults and the personal details.
    If my passport was being held I would appreciate someone helping me out. Maybe not as publically as this, but in a way that would ensure its safe return. Judging by the OPs posts, he definitely didnt intend to hand it in immediately.

thread achieved result needed, passport handed into police.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its not quite as black and white as that twinQuins. Zuroph found his name but that was it. The OP was pretty much demanding a ransom for the passport.
    His English wasnt really the best, so it might have been a very poor attempt at a joke on his part, however if you read the thread you could understand how hackles were raised.

I did read the thread. I still don't think posting personal details is acceptable, in any situation.

When you do you open them up to a mass audience and, naturally, there's trouble with that.
    I'm sorry but I see this as a pretty damn big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

twinQuins wrote: »

And not only did you post up his details you went into AH to brag about it.

That was one of the saddest, most pathetic things I have seen on the net in awhile tbh.

I did read the thread. I still don't think posting personal details is acceptable, in any situation.

When you do you open them up to a mass audience and, naturally, there's trouble with that.
    I'm sorry but I see this as a pretty damn big deal.

If you took the personal details out of the equation and left them out of the public domain but handed them into the authorities in the background would you agree?

Again, the thread was cleared, so you cant make a judgement on what happened unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I don't see what the fuss is all about. The guy was demanding a reward for finding a passport and stated that no reward. no passport.

He was stupid enough to have his personal details freely available on the net and people posted them. He got what he deserved IMO.

If you took the personal details out of the equation and left them out of the public domain but handed them into the authorities in the background would you agree?

What if it was just a joke gone wrong? I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it, if the details were not posted but I also think it was a little hasty contacting the Gardaí over something posted on a bulletin board.

• Advertisement

Then I would sort of treat it like some idiot who is dumb enough to joke about having a bomb in a bag at the airport to try and get a laugh. Poorly though out and not very bright :)

What if it was just a joke gone wrong? I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it, if the details were not posted but I also think it was a little hasty contacting the Gardaí over something posted on a bulletin board.

I asked them to call by and have a chat. he clearly stated No reward no passport, and insisted that he be "shown appreciation". Standard rule is that you turn in a passport to a garda station, and he refused to do so. He was attempting to use the passport for financial gain, and was in illegal possession of a government owned ID. Personally, if some person had my passport and was attempting to bribe me for its return, I would only be too happy for the Gardaí to be involved as soon as possible.
    There is no way it was a joke, guy made his point quite clearly, and I am happy that he got the fright he needed to return the passport. There's other ways to make money off an Irish passport, thankfully the issue was stopped before it got to somewhere like that.

Guy was attempting to commit a crime. It doesnt matter if its posted on a board or said in person, its a crime.

In that case, shouldn't you have brought it to the attention of the admins? Posting someone's details is an invitation for others to pay them a visit.

i posted his name. no address. All the info came from stuff he posted himself publically.

I recall you posted more than just his name, as you said you googled it and found some other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Guy was attempting to commit a crime. It doesnt matter if its posted on a board or said in person, its a crime.

Slippery slope that!

tbh, I don't think you were wrong to contact the Gardai in this case, but there was no need to post about doing so, or to name the guy.

i named the guy when i thought it was the only info available on him, in the hopes of giving him a bit of a fright into turning it in. when i got more info, i didnt post it and called the cops. now, going on the conversation with the cops, i knew there was a good chance they may not follow up on it, so I posted about calling them to further scare him into handing it in. Which he did, so, result IMO.

I recall you posted more than just his name, as you said you googled it and found some other details.

nope. I posted no other info, i said I googled him, but never posted any other info. someone else posted a portion of his address after doing a similar google.

Fair enough, I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I asked them to call by and have a chat. he clearly stated No reward no passport, and insisted that he be "shown appreciation". Standard rule is that you turn in a passport to a garda station, and he refused to do so. He was attempting to use the passport for financial gain, and was in illegal possession of a government owned ID. Personally, if some person had my passport and was attempting to bribe me for its return, I would only be too happy for the Gardaí to be involved as soon as possible.
    There is no way it was a joke, guy made his point quite clearly, and I am happy that he got the fright he needed to return the passport. There's other ways to make money off an Irish passport, thankfully the issue was stopped before it got to somewhere like that.

Fuck him. ISTR another twat getting his come uppance on the Leaving Cert board too, some time back.

He might think twice the next time, wherever he's from or what his name is.

• Advertisement

Can't comment on the moderation btw, as it's all been tidied, but I'd imagine the mod had no choice but to keep house, these things have a habit of running amok.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can't comment on the moderation btw, as it's all been tidied, but I'd imagine the mod had no choice but to keep house, these things have a habit of running amok.

^ This is indeed the case. Thanks for putting it so nicely for me!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056184902

A complete thread destroyed by a mod who simply could have deleted the offensive posts and the personal information that was posted.

Since the original post was removed I will clarify the thread.

A person posts that he found a passport, posts the persons name and says "PM me if you want it back, have a reward ready"

A reply was made saying "Hand it into the Gardai"

OP replies saying "No reward, no passport"

Chaos ensues where the personal info is dug up on the OP.

OP relents a tad and says if he isnt contacted in 3 weeks or so he will hand it into the Gardai as he wants to deal with the person face to face.

OP has more personal details dug up and allegedly has the Gardai called on him.

OP relents fully and says he will hand it in.

The thread is full of personal insults to the guy, which I dont agree with, even if he is dishonest, it also has his name and address, which I DEFINITELY dont agree with as its dangerous to him.

However the over the top modding that occurred when the mods finally saw it was stupid TBH.

All that needed to be done was the personal insults infracted and the heavy stuff deleted (including the personal info), instead the whole thread is cleared. Apparently bans were given, but its not mentioned who.

Now it looks simply as if the guy did a good deed and handed in a lost passport.

It was a rather good thread completely destroyed.

Jumpy, this isn't a site-Feedback issue. You should have sent me a PM.

To put this very simply:

There were 44 posts in that thread. 8 of them received red cards, for various reasons. Some of those posts were quoted, some of them several times. I considered removing the abuse, the racism, the personal information (and the vague suggestions of what to do with them) and the OP's troll-posts. However, if I had done so, there would have been very little of worth left in the thread at all. I was quite serious when I made this post:
    Congrats guys, ye successfully created the worst thread I've ever seen in 5 years on the forum!

44 posts deleted.
    8 infractions issued.
    3 posters given bans.

Thread locked. Let this never happen or be spoken of again!

I have never seen a thread that bad in the Limerick City forum. It was ridiculous beyond belief. The only thing more ridiculous is that you're campaigning to have the thread re-opened. I can appreciate feedback when it's due, but be reasonable. The contents of that thread have no business whatsoever in remaining on the forum.

I want to thank Victor, Berty, amdublin, Foinse and TestTransmission for posting the only correct responses in that thread. They told the OP to bring the passport to a Garda station, and that's all that needed to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wow, if you're going to post stuff like "No reward, no passport" (Jesus) you'd think you'd ensure your personal details were inaccessible...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've also deleted his previous thread (no replies in it, dated this time in 2009) where his name and Skype details were posted. It should have been removed at the time it was first posted, because, well, y'know, this isn't a dating site...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive absolutley no problem with what zuroph did.

If you start a thread being an absolute obnoxious ***** holding a passport for ransom and someone else decides to use the powers of google to post information that's already there...

One can learn 2 valuable lessons.

Don't be a ****

don't post personal information on the Internet if you intend on being a ****

***** is relative, as i don't know the op in question nor have i seen the thread, but "no reward no passport" is the actions of someone that makes me want to climb the bell tower with a rifle and kill as many human beings as i can because as a form of life humans disgust me

Insect overlord had to do what he had to do, as its his job to follow the rules of the forum and be unbiased... i'd have done the same, but i can completely understand zuroph

snyper wrote: »
    Insect overlord had to do what he had to do, as its his job to follow the rules of the forum and be unbiased... i'd have done the same, but i can completely understand zuroph

absolutely, and as soon as I got the ban I PMed IO saying the same, silly of me to post the name, everything else, I've no second thoughts about. Got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

absolutely, and as soon as I got the ban I PMed IO saying the same, silly of me to post the name, everything else, I've no second thoughts about. Got what he deserved.

Ah, chicks dig banscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So just how serious does a crime need to be before members take it upon themselves to notify the Gardai and post personal details pertaining to those who appear to be admitting to breaking said law?

I started a thread in AH yesterday relating to speeding.. many within that thread have pretty much admitted to doing so and justified their reasoning for it. Would it be acceptable for me to go diving for the personal details of those users in order to show them up as law breakers, or does the law only constitute that which the majority of people deem to be sound?

Calling the Gardai was fair enough on a personal level, but using the site to cause a moral outrage over the whole thing was unneeded. The thread should have been closed asap.

So just how serious does a crime need to be before members take it upon themselves to notify the Gardai and post personal details pertaining to those who appear to be admitting to breaking said law?

I started a thread in AH yesterday relating to speeding.. many within that thread have pretty much admitted to doing so and justified their reasoning for it. Would it be acceptable for me to go diving for the personal details of those users in order to show them up as law breakers, or does the law only constitute that which the majority of people deem to be sound?

Calling the Gardai was fair enough on a personal level, but using the site to cause a moral outrage over the whole thing was unneeded. The thread should have been closed asap.

There's a subtle difference between going 5k over the limit, (or 10, or 15-it's subjective), and being thick enough to break the law, regulation, or even moral code, in such a way as can be proven online.

The situation above ticked said boxes, and said mong was dumb enough to try and squeeze a few quid from someone else's bad luck. Fianna Fail might have sold an oul passport or two, but that doesn't mean everyone else can as well, whether they're from here originally or elsewhere.

There's a difference between that, and some poster saying they run an amber, or occasionally exceed a posted speed limit.

I have. And it's not too hard to put a name to me. But tell the Gardai that, and they'd laugh, because it's totally intangible, unlike the thread in question.

/removes tongue from cheek

• Advertisement

The thread should have been closed asap.

Just to answer this part on its own, I closed it within two hours of the flood-gates opening. The OP was reported just after 8:00 this morning, but it wasn't until 12:30-ish that things started getting really nasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement