Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Thread in Limerick City Forum.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Just to answer this part on its own, I closed it within two hours of the flood-gates opening. The OP was reported just after 8:00 this morning, but it wasn't until 12:30-ish that things started getting really nasty.

Ah, I don't think that's in question in fairness FWIW. The moderation was spot on IMO.

We seem to have moved on to a discussion on, for want of a better phrase, white-knighting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Ah, I don't think that's in question in fairness FWIW. The moderation was spot on IMO.

We seem to have moved on to a discussion on, for want of a better phrase, white-knighting!

The mod was spot on. The other guy boasting about it on AH and other forums makes him or her a person who needs to get out more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In that case, I'd like to highlight an important part of a PM I received from a concerned poster. I told them I'd ask for all the advice I could get, so posting the questions as I received them shouldn't be a problem here.
    A quick google of my name reveals all manner of information about me, my height, weight, age, my picture, my job, where I live and my email. This is information in the public domain because I put it there in the course of my postings here and through my facebook. Where do you draw the line? This man has this information "out there" just as I have?

They raise a good point, just as you, Snyper and My name is URL do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

They do indeed, it's kinda central to the whole thing actually.

Looking at it from a site perspective, I'd be inclined to say it's a case of (wo)man, mind thyself, if you get me. B.ie hasn't given out any details, and they're tied into the Data Protection Act anyway, as has been said many times by the D's.

All a mod can do is stop it from turning into a bear pit, as you did.

I think there's an element of social justice in there as well, and once the site reps (mods and above in essence) don't go down the road of using site tools to "out" someone, their role stops at keeping order, and not facilitating a witch hunt.

As regards sanctions (bans, infractions), they're the mods business, subject to community and DRP of course.

That's only my view anyway, I'll STFU now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Slippery slope that!

Post reported for racism :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heya, thanks for replying IO I understand I should have pmd. However you youself once posted a thread asking for peoples views on further modding of the LC thread. Overwhelmingly it stated to tone down the modding. This feedback was for the thread clearance, it has developed into more of a discussion on personal details and use of such, however it was first and foremost posted out of irritation for yet another heavy handed approach to a thread in LC.

As I said in the OP clear and infract the personal details and insults, lock it if you feel its neccesary, but leave the damn thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

In that case, I'd like to highlight an important part of a PM I received from a concerned poster. I told them I'd ask for all the advice I could get, so posting the questions as I received them shouldn't be a problem here.

In following the personal details development of this thread though, a persons username is not their name.

Boards isnt Blizzard, whos system has peoples real names. This particular person posted his skype, which had all his details in it. He also tried to extort on thread. A normal person would not do that. Hence people wont get all civic minded and try to locate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

tbh, I don't think you were wrong to contact the Gardai in this case, but there was no need to post about doing so, or to name the guy.
    Fully agree with this standpoint. If you want to do the responsible thing and call the Gardai, go right ahead. The secondary step of bragging about it to an anonymous community is both pointless and petty.
    I'd hate to think it was done for something so superfluous as garnering a load of thanks but given that it was posted on After Hours I fear I mightn't be a million miles away. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

@ Jumpy, you're right, that Overlord lad is way too over the top in his moderating. Clareman isn't too far behind either.

I don't get caught up over it though, I feel slightly sympathetic because chances are their 'job' of moderating really means something to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A quick google of the thread title will give you the Op's name and mobile number where they she has posted the same "found ad" on other sites.

It's no big deal having them posted on boards.ie considering they were breaking the law by holding a government document to ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

TheProdigy wrote: »
    @ Jumpy, you're right, that Overlord lad is way too over the top in his moderating. Clareman isn't too far behind either.

I don't get caught up over it though, I feel slightly sympathetic because chances are their 'job' of moderating really means something to them.

Couldn't disagree more. IO and Clareman are bang on the money when it comes to being fair in their moderation in the Midwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Insect Overlord has been doing a great job in the Limerick Forum. I've only noticed Clareman recently, my first thought was that he was lost :D

As regards people complaining about the moderating in the Limerick Forum - those comments were almost exclusively directed towards another mod - he who shall not be named.:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

TheProdigy wrote: »

Insect Overlord and Clareman do a fine job on this site.
    If you don't like it, nobodies asking you to hang around. There are thousands of forums on the web for you to chose from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement