Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Main Fuse

Options
  • 19-02-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the ESB charge to upgrade the ESB fuse beside the meter.My mother in laws is only a 60A and she has a cooker and electric shower which draw more than that together.

Fuseboard fuse is 63a too so no discrimination at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How old is the cut out?

I reckon they would charge for it. Might be good time to upgrade tails if need be.

Now if the fuse were to blow somehow they would have to replace it within 24 hours :p

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

She's not the only one. However the load ratings you gave are the maximum for each appliance. For example a diversity rating can be applied to the cooker, meaning that one or tworings maybe on at a time or just a grill or oven etc. It is quite rare on a cooker that every circuit on it willbe on at the same time. How often are the shower and cooker on together? Is there an issue with fuses blowing? The main fuse will allow overcurrent for a short period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

superg wrote: »
    Anyone know if the ESB charge to upgrade the ESB fuse beside the meter.My mother in laws is only a 60A and she has a cooker and electric shower which draw more than that together.

Fuseboard fuse is 63a too so no discrimination at all
    how do you know its only 60amp

i agree with davy who says to upgrade the tails
    you will then need a cert from a registered contractor
    then the esb will charge for the upgrade(120 euro i think)

davy reckons if the fuse "blew" they would call and upgrade for free

i think thats true

but if you are worried about the load on the cables causing the fuse to blow you should upgrade them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

House is about 30 years old.I know its a 60a cos it says it on the black cover.The cooker and shower are regularly on together.Son is a clean freak who thinks nothing of spending a good hour in the shower 3 times a day

they cant afford to pay to have it changed but 24hrs is a long time to wait with no power if it did go accidently;).

Tails are 16 sq,no need to upgrade and they couldnt afford it either way.

its only a 60amp cut out so
    they will have to replace this and the fuse
    pretty sure there is a charge for an upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

House is about 30 years old.I know its a 60a cos it says it on the black cover.The cooker and shower are regularly on together.Son is a clean freak who thinks nothing of spending a good hour in the shower 3 times a day

they cant afford to pay to have it changed but 24hrs is a long time to wait with no power if it did go accidently;).

Tails are 16 sq,no need to upgrade and they couldnt afford it either way.

Just because 60 amp is on the fuse holder doesn't necessarily mean its a 60 amp fuse. The same Fuse carriers hold 80 amp and 40 amp fuses. If there 16's tails at the meter then more than likely its an 80 amp. 10's tails would usually get a 60 amp put into it. The new cut outs are pretty much the same as those black ones except the black ones have flat-head screw terminations and the new ones have 3mm allen key screw terminations. Cut-outs in houses 30 years old or older are put down for replacement and there is a replacement program in place at the moment.

surely if the holder is rated at 60 amp,the esb would hardly install an 80amp fuse

meercat wrote: »
    its only a 60amp cut out so
    they will have to replace this and the fuse

pretty sure there is a charge for an upgrade

sparcocars wrote: »
    Just because 60 amp is on the fuse holder doesn't necessarily mean its a 60 amp fuse. The same Fuse carriers hold 80 amp and 40 amp fuses. If there 16's tails at the meter then more than likely its an 80 amp. 10's tails would usually get a 60 amp put into it. The new cut outs are pretty much the same as those black ones except the black ones have flat-head screw terminations and the new ones have 3mm allen key screw terminations. Cut-outs in houses 30 years old or older are put down for replacement and there is a replacement program in place at the moment.

Bit of a contradiction here lads. Either of you work for the ESB by chance?I wouldve thought that they would be interchangeable to make upgrades easy to achieve but then I also know that fuse holders are generally designed to accommodate one rating of fuse only in case the wrong rating is fitted accidently.

Cant open it to check what size it is without breaking the seal.I'll just tell her to keep the lad out of the shower when she's cooking.If it blows then they'll have to sort it for free.

the fuses are physically the same size
    but you shouldnt put a higher ampage one in if the the holder is not rated for it

ok thanks for the help lads

• Advertisement

Just downloaded their charges booklet.
    A request to change it costs 161 euro.

if it blows and the have to change it between 11pm and 8 am then it costs 131.

no mention of what it costs between 8am and 11 pm.

Would it be a good idea to change the fuse in the DB to a 50a or should I leave as is?

Bit of a contradiction here lads. Either of you work for the ESB by chance?I wouldve thought that they would be interchangeable to make upgrades easy to achieve but then I also know that fuse holders are generally designed to accommodate one rating of fuse only in case the wrong rating is fitted accidently.

Cant open it to check what size it is without breaking the seal.I'll just tell her to keep the lad out of the shower when she's cooking.If it blows then they'll have to sort it for free.

I work for ESB Networks. Its only the old DZ fuse cut-outs that had gauge rings in them to prevent a different rating fuse being inserted without changing the gauge ring. The cut-out that if its the type i think your talking about can take a 40, 60 or 80 amp HRC fuse. Well these are the only sizes used for a standard service cut-out. Does it look like the on in the attached picture? Does it only say 60amp or does it say 60/80 amp?

No pic attached.;)

it just says 60A

No pic attached.;)

it just says 60A

Sorry heres the picture. It could be just a 60amp fuse in it them but there might be an 80 amp either seen as theres 16's tails. The only way of finding out is to look at the fuse which you can't do with the seals on it. You could de-rate the main fuse in your distribution board to a 50 amp or you could just leave it the way it is. As a previous post said there is a diveristy factor to take into account. The chances of having the shower on highest temp and the cooker having every ring and the oven of highest temp are very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The chances of having the shower on highest temp and the cooker having every ring and the oven of highest temp are very unlikely.

The shower will likely be on its full load regardless of the temp setting, thats just a water flow adjustment.

Similar with oven, it does not need to be at its highest temp to draw the elements full load, it just wont be on as much during its on/off cycle during the oven`s use. But the cooker will be unlikely to be at its full loading alright, just stay out of the shower on Xmas day:D

this is it

cooker with everything on was drawing 32 amps.

shower was pulling 35a.

Like you say though,cooker wont be on full load very often if ever.I told them to keep the spotty teenager out of the shower while they're cooking:)

If it was me i would just keep using the items as normal. If there are no fusing problems just proceed as usual and forget about it unless a fuse does go. It could be an 80 amp in that holder anyway, although the cutout tails do look like 10 square in that pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

An 80A will fit in that alright, but it wont be an 80A in it, if it hasn't been replaced in the past few years.

I wouldn't be worrying about the situation really, just if it goes, ring networks. Its not worth paying €90 for a change of fuse. They will replace the cutout in time anyway, but I wouldn't say thats 30 years old just yet.

Ill check that again when I'm there.The cable going from the meter to the board is defo 16sq in the pic the cutout tails do look smaller alright

meercat wrote: »
    surely if the holder is rated at 60 amp,the esb would hardly install an 80amp fuse

agree looks like 10 square

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    An 80A will fit in that alright, but it wont be an 80A in it, if it hasn't been replaced in the past few years.

I wouldn't be worrying about the situation really, just if it goes, ring networks. Its not worth paying €90 for a change of fuse. They will replace the cutout in time anyway, but I wouldn't say thats 30 years old just yet.

date on that label thing has 1998 on it.

not sure what thats about

date on that label thing has 1998 on it.

not sure what thats about

Thats the date the meter was last sealed most likely.

Ok cheers to you all.

If the cutout tails are 10sq whats the procedure for upgrading.

Contractor to upgrade first then call ESB or ESB first then contractor

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The shower will likely be on its full load regardless of the temp setting, thats just a water flow adjustment.

Similar with oven, it does not need to be at its highest temp to draw the elements full load, it just wont be on as much during its on/off cycle during the oven`s use. But the cooker will be unlikely to be at its full loading alright, just stay out of the shower on Xmas day:D

I was thinking of an instant shower that just has a cold feed and two heating elements in it like the triton t90. You know the way one element is in use up to certain temperature and the as the temp knob is turned up another microswitch is pressed to bring the second element into circuit in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i thought the temp control only adjusted flow

Ok cheers to you all.

you will need a contractor to certify the installation before esb will upgrade

Ok cheers to you all.

If its to upgrade the tails from the cut out to the meter then just call esb networks and if its the tails from the meter to your dustribution board then a sparks first then esb networks.

ok,tails to the DB are 16sq for sure.Have to check the cut out tails.

Thanks again

I was thinking of an instant shower that just has a cold feed and two heating elements in it like the triton t90. You know the way one element is in use up to certain temperature and the as the temp knob is turned up another microswitch is pressed to bring the second element into circuit in it.

No you manually select either no heat, heat 1(single element), or heat 2(2 elements), then vary the water flow for tempeature. In hot weather heat 1 may be enough to obtain comfortable temperature, but heat 2 will always be on in the winter unless cold showers are prefered.

• Advertisement

ok,tails to the DB are 16sq for sure.Have to check the cut out tails.

Thanks again

Id bet the tails to cutout are 10 square, certainly look like it compared to the 16 square t&e in the photo.

Advertisement