Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Main Fuse

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

A few years back I was getting a strange smell of burning from my Parents hallway and when I went to investigate to my shock the bloody fuse board was melting and making all sorts of strange strange noises. I rang the ESB and they said, "sorry nothing to do with us" until I mentioned that it was the black box that had written on it "WARNING ESB DO NOT TOUCH" (didn't know it was a fuse) that was making buzzing noises. Well I never heard someones attitude change so quickly in all my life and low and behold they were out within half an hour and changed the whole thing.

Has your fuse been making any strange noises lately ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Davy wrote: »
    An 80A will fit in that alright, but it wont be an 80A in it, if it hasn't been replaced in the past few years.

I wouldn't be worrying about the situation really, just if it goes, ring networks. Its not worth paying €90 for a change of fuse. They will replace the cutout in time anyway, but I wouldn't say thats 30 years old just yet.

The meter was manufactured in 1979 see picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dingding wrote: »
    The meter was manufactured in 1979 see picture.

That does not absolutely mean the installation is from 1979, and/or that the fuse cutout is that age either. Its the fuse cutout and tails thats being asked about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Why are the live and neutral on the tails not identified with the correct colour code?

It looks like they are both red!?

I'm always amazed at the sloppy connections that are accepted by ESB Networks. Do they just turn a blind eye when they're sealing the meters?

Solair wrote: »
    Why are the live and neutral on the tails not identified with the correct colour code?

It looks like they are both red!?

I'm always amazed at the sloppy connections that are accepted by ESB Networks. Do they just turn a blind eye when they're sealing the meters?

Things have changed a lot since the days of red and black colour codes. In them days we could just use the black from the twin and earth to sleeve the earth of t&e cables for example, and it was acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

he'll have to ask esb networks anyhow -they're not the contractors tails:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

robbie7730 wrote: »
    That does not absolutely mean the installation is from 1979, and/or that the fuse cutout is that age either. Its the fuse cutout and tails thats being asked about here.

I installed similar fuse units as a first year apprentice in 1981 so there is a good chance that the main fuse unit was fitted at that time.

dingding wrote: »
    I installed similar fuse units as a first year apprentice in 1981 so there is a good chance that the main fuse unit was fitted at that time.

No one said they were definitely not installed in 1979. But when a meter says manufactured 1979, does that mean the installation is from 1979, and the fuse unit is also from 1979?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

Does anyone know what this is called, it's in the mains cabinet beside the fuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s the main supply isolator. It’s fitted after the meter and before your distribution board.

you appear to have 2 outputs from it which isn’t correct

post a photo of entire cabinet

• Advertisement

I want to get one fitted as I don't have one ( photo not mine), what is the procedure for fitting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

What’s the reason you require one

this isolator belongs to esbn

a certificate will most likely be required from a rec and some upgrade work will need to be done. Upgrade mains cables,install ocpd,upgrade earthing including earth rod,test the whole installation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I wouldn’t worry about it. Half the country have that arrangement on a 60A service fuse and it doesn’t present a problem.

Significant diversity applying to the cooker and a good degree of overload capacity on the service fuse mean the chance of it blowing is relatively low.

You may actually have some degree of discrimination, given the characteristics of the service fuse, but again it doesn’t tend to cause any practical issue.

ESBN don’t typically charge for replacing blown fuses, unless the customer is making a habit of it. There is a degree of wear and tear on fuses to be considered. Aging and load factors can eventually cause rupture even where the fuse rating hasn’t been exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Thanks for answering my post from 2011 in 2023😀

Is this a 80amp fuse?

Advertisement