Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wallpaper in bathroom , good or bad idea ?

• 19-02-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi , we are currently making plans to re-decorate our bathroom , we painted it white 2 yrs ago with the dulux bathroom paint but now it has all brown stains due to steam I suppose . We were thinking of going with tiles but is very expensive , so I'm wondering would we get away with wallpapering it ? It would only take half the time and half the cost !

It's a pretty small bathroom with bath and shower and one small ventilator grid so there would be a lot of steam . My question is are there any specially made wallpapers that would resist the steam , I have searched the internet and there seems to be a lot of yes and no answers to wallpapering a bathroom . Thanks for any advice:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would address the damp issue before u proceed, put in a proper wall fan and move the damp laden air out ASAP.
    The dampness caused is not good for man or beast or the fabric of the house.
    By proper I mean a good 5" fan on a run-on timer with an auto close shutter as opposed to some piece of crap that is okay for shifting frats in a canary cage.

The critical measure is air changes per unit of time and remember that the quoted figures will be for no ducting etc so u need to allow for pressure/flow loss due to ducting grills etc

Also if using fan, dont open window

If the door is very well fitted u may need to shave a bit off the bottom to let the air in

Good flow for 5-10 mins is much better than poor flow for 30, u need that air gone before it has a chance to condense.

I would paint again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Also if using fan, dont open window

If the door is very well fitted u may need to shave a bit off the bottom to let the air in

I agree with most of this post but not with closing the window, especially in the winter. By drawing in the relatively dry air from outside will remove the moisture quicker than drawing relatively wetter house air into the bathroom. By opening the window I mean open it a crack, not wideopen (depends on window opening size) and also keep the bathroom closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Carlow52 wrote: »
    ....................Also if using fan, dont open window

If the door is very well fitted u may need to shave a bit off the bottom to let the air in..........

Would love to know why not open the window.My windows have trickle vents but I open the window as my 6" ceiling extract can be heard struggling with the door closed even with a gap at bottom and trickle vents.

Agree completely with the idea of addressing the damp first and then repainting.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

gucciali wrote: »
    I'm wondering would we get away with wallpapering it ?)

If you are getting mildew on the paint due to moisture in the room then I would imagine the wall paper, even special bathroom wallpaper, will not look well or last very long.

We had wall paper in a bathroom at home back in the 80's, it had a plastic coating which meant it did last for years, but it did have mildew on it, luckily due to the fussy 80 design it was hard to make the mildew out from the pattern. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Wallpaper has never ever been successful in a bathroom. Its just been accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As with everyone above. Wallpaper in a bathroom is a bad idea, and you are guaranteed to have further problems down the line..

Advertisement