Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not happy with the landlord

Options
  • 19-02-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

Hi

Maybe somebody has some advice for me?

I am renting a house, but I'm not that happy in the moment.

Two main points:

1. As far as I know, the gas boiler should be serviced every year. The landlord thinks different. Who is right now?

2. I still have them old single glazed windows, there is water leaking onto the window sills, the draft is coming through them.
    I told the landlord about it a few times, he doesn't seem that happy getting new windows, claiming, it is too expensive and he won't get any tax relief either.
    I have the only house in this estate with old windows and I think, they don't keep the heat in properly.

It might be a problem, I just renewed the lease for another year back in January and I don't find any clear notice concerning a termination of the lease.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

You should have raised these issues before renewing the lease and used that as leverage.
    I wouldn't imagine the windows are his problem unless there is serious drafts/leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There is no requirement to service a boiler every year, despite the adverts from Bord Gais.

If you are not happy you should not have renewed your lease. Leaky windows are only going to damage your landlord's house, not yours, so I doubt you have any authority to get him to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I didn't know that with the gas boiler, thanks :)

Back to the windows, the landlord promised me in December that he will sort out the windows, but also said, it will be tough to manage. It is a 3 bedroom house, and according to him it would be more than 10000 Euros.

Never had any issues with him before, but now he doesn't answer any e mails, I feel sort of ignored. A clear 'No, I don't want to replace the windows' would be more helpful.

I guess, he will have problems to rent it to someone else, when the windows keep leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why did you sign a new lease if you were unhappy with the windows?

amdublin wrote: »
    Why did you sign a new lease if you were unhappy with the windows?

As I said,I was promised that the windows will be sorted, then I signed the new lease, then those excuses started like replacing windows would be too expensive or not getting any tax relief.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

your LL is spoofing re: the cost of the windows, i replaced 7 windows, they are pilkington k-glass (supposed to ecco friendly or something)

anyway, it cost me 2.5k - ask your LL does he want the phone number of my man ?

irishbird wrote: »
    your LL is spoofing re: the cost of the windows, i replaced 7 windows, they are pilkington k-glass (supposed to ecco friendly or something)

anyway, it cost me 2.5k - ask your LL does he want the phone number of my man ?

Interesting. 2.5 k.

Let's see, there are 3 bedrooms upstairs, the bathroom, the hall, dining room and front room, that's 7 windows as well. Or does it matter, that all windows are divided into sections?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Interesting. 2.5 k.

Let's see, there are 3 bedrooms upstairs, the bathroom, the hall, dining room and front room, that's 7 windows as well. Or does it matter, that all windows are divided into sections?

nope, mine are, they have to be health and safety, so you can get out easily if there is a fire.

irishbird wrote: »
    nope, mine are, they have to be health and safety, so you can get out easily if there is a fire.

That is confusing me a bit now, tbh :confused:

Do you know those 4 part windows? Three small parts, which open and one main part which is just glass as such? Only one small sections can be opened, I was told because of 'security reasons'. Until now I believed it, I would smash the windows anyway in case of emergency ;)

Anyway, what you say sounds interesting, do you mind if I pass your man's details to the LL?

i will pm you his details.

You cant break k-glass apparently (have no idea if this is true or not but that is what i have been told), so half the the window opens out so there is an easy escape route.

but they are sound proof, i am on a main road and hear nothing.

my man, makes his own frames or something, so he cuts out the middle man - again, no idea if this is true but he is a gentleman, turns up on time, does the jobs, cleans up etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

If they are single glazed then this could be just condensation,or are they actually leaking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Baaaa beat me to it, was going to say the same. What kind of leak is it? If not condensation, cool the frame just need some new sealant?

Presumably the window isn't cracked??

Is the damp in the room on the walls?

faceman wrote: »
    Baaaa beat me to it, was going to say the same. What kind of leak is it? If not condensation, cool the frame just need some new sealant?

Presumably the window isn't cracked??

Is the damp in the room on the walls?

Let's go down the list...

It looks much like condensation, but the amount of water on the window sill is hillarious.

And yes, there is some dampness on the wall near the windows.

But no, there is no crack to be seen

Advertisement