Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My knees really kicked off tonight while running (week 3, day 3). They're such a pain, although have had them xrayed before and checked out and nothing is wrong with them bar the fact that they are assholes. I am possibly a bit on the heiferly side to be running but hopefully the running will sort that out.

No harm to do some basic strengthening work too - normal bodyweight squats, one-legged squats and lunges are good for pretty much all runners, add in some clamshells and side leg raises too and it will help to strengthen up the areas affected. Yoga hip openers such as pigeon pose can help too - sometimes issues at the knees are caused by imbalances further up or further down.
    I got up to about week 5-6 this time last year. I hurt my foot and gave up by I restarted at week 1 on Sunday. Just about to go do week 1 day 2 now. Planning on having gait analysis done in the next week or two and get myself some new runners.

Good luck :) You should find it a bit easier to get through the first few weeks this time, especially given how much weight you've lost in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

No harm to do some basic strengthening work too - normal bodyweight squats, one-legged squats and lunges are good for pretty much all runners, add in some clamshells and side leg raises too and it will help to strengthen up the areas affected. Yoga hip openers such as pigeon pose can help too - sometimes issues at the knees are caused by imbalances further up or further down.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

My knees survived 10k fine last Monday, in my runners with my Elverys insoles that appeared to have fixed the issue so I didn't bring them back within the 30 day deadline. Tuesday I walked 5k in regular Penneys boots (wasn't planned), walked/jogged 5k on Friday in runners again, and all was fine. Walked 4k yesterday and my knees (and randomly my big toe) hurt from start to finish, and are sore today. Not impressed. Must try some exercises to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Woo! Spring is here - which means I have gone out running 4 times in the past 5 days!

Please please please don't change weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 olddognotricks

Hi all
    Haven't been on in ages but still plodding away, hoping to complete a 10k this weekend :eek:
    Isn't the weather perfect for running, long may it last!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hi all
    Haven't been on in ages but still plodding away, hoping to complete a 10k this weekend :eek:
    Isn't the weather perfect for running, long may it last!!!
    Best of luck.

The weather is ideal, only downside is that at the time I get out for run there are legions of people out for walks with their dogs and it's like an obstacle course.

I actually get envious if I see someone out for a run in this lovely weather and I'm stuck in traffic going to or from work!!!!:o

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The weather is ideal, only downside is that at the time I get out for run there are legions of people out for walks with their dogs and it's like an obstacle course.

While on my run yesterday I nearly got chased off the pavement by a little white yapper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Dortilolma wrote: »
    While on my run yesterday I nearly got chased off the pavement by a little white yapper. :D

What really gets on my nerves is groups of people walking who won't move out of the way. I always end up running on the road to avoid them or into some pothole. Every time. I mean I'm by myself while they're walking in groups of 3 or 4 with no chance of them going single file when they see a runner coming it. :mad:

If there was a group of us walking or running, we would never take over the whole path if we seen someone on their own coming. It's just basic manners! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I have the pleasure of doing my 5k walks/runs on a quiet lovely little road and bohereens, if two cars pass me that's a busy day. Just a very scenic view of fields and a river, birds tweeting, cats and dogs coming out to say hi and let me play with them...and a really loud motorway along one stretch but other than that it's very peaceful :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

My knees really kicked off tonight while running (week 3, day 3). They're such a pain, although have had them xrayed before and checked out and nothing is wrong with them bar the fact that they are assholes. I am possibly a bit on the heiferly side to be running but hopefully the running will sort that out.

If it keeps up don't be afraid to go back and ask for them to be checked again. I went for two sets of xrays and nothing showed up, the third time I insisted that they take the xrays with me in standing position, they came back showing I have Arthritis in both knees!

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    If it keeps up don't be afraid to go back and ask for them to be checked again. I went for two sets of xrays and nothing showed up, the third time I insisted that they take the xrays with me in standing position, they came back showing I have Arthritis in both knees!

Cool, thanks :) I've had blood tests for arthritis as well because my mam is plagued with it and they came back clear. Genuinely think it's a lot to do with being heavier than I should be. If it kicks off again I'll hi away to the doctor though

Hi everyone!
    Hows the running going?
    Completed my first 10k last weekend *phew*
    Was tough but def worth it delighted afterwards
    Need to get started on some exercises, like those rainbow kirby mentioned......

Onwards to fitpersonland!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

8k today. Can not wait to get back up to a comfortable 10k. Then I think I'll work on speed.

Ran a 10k race last weekend - 8 minutes outside my PB (I ran 58:18, PB is 50:05) but considering how much I've been struggling with injuries over the last year I'm actually really happy with it.

Would love to do the Sport Relief cycle on Sunday but I just can't justify paying £35 for it!

Week 4, Day 2. Suckit lungs!! Up yours shin pains! You thought you were the boss of meeeee....

I'm still only enjoying the first 2 or 3 minutes of the run and then collapsing into depression and feeling like the slowest heffalump who ever got up on her hind legs and found a pair of heffalump leggings but once I'm finished I am happily smug :) Aaaand between the walking and running (and mainly running) I covered 4km tonight. Like I said, suckit lungs!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭fits

So winter appears to be over, the snow has melted and I'm back on the wagon. I did lots of hiking in February on hols, and I have been cycling over the winter so I am back to running 3km in twenty minutes comfortably enough. So... my question is, do my fellow loungers think id be mad to enter a 10km race on may 17th? and any recommendations for a good training programme?

Start now and you should be ok, particularly if you're doing the race to finish rather than aiming for a goal time. The best basic 10km plan I know of is the Hal Higdon 10km beginners plan - it involves 8 weeks of 3 runs a week and a little cross training, that might suit you. You'll need to be able to run 3 miles at the end of the first week.

Yep just want to finish. 3 miles might be pushing it a little this week. Just found a BUPA training plan which might suit better to start with, can switch to other later.

Did Week 4 Day 4 for a second time tonight, because I found it a really tough week and didn't want to lash into Week 5. Decided to get an app that would time me and shout Run/Walk at me as applicable so I could choose the music I was listening to instead of the stuff on my normal podcast (was afraid I'd kick some passerby in the face with rage if I head another person sing anything about being 'in my Louboutins'). It let me down! Just randomly stopped telling me when an interval was up.

So I ended up with a bit of a disjointed run, but covered the same distance AND I ran up a full hill! One I normally sneakily save for the end of my run so I can let gravity propel me down it instead of my poor sore hooves having to do anything. And I was ever so clever and had one of these in the freezer waiting for me to celebrate being half way through :)

a311566b-d9e2-4137-a141-dd30e3450893_zps704ed58e.jpg

• Advertisement

Do any of you run with hangovers? I had people over for dinner last night, and while I feel ok (thanks to panadol and an affogato). I don't feel 100%. Was supposed to do a long run today but considering postponing until tmw. Might cycle to explore a new route instead. It looks good on the map bit I'm not sure if the snow has melted on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

so i said AAAAAGES ago that id give this a shot when I got my asthma under control.. went for a walk earlier and decided to have a wee jog with it so tomorrow i am gonna start fo reals this time! gonna try and rope my mother into it too!

bring it!

So I went out on the bike to check out the route I had picked on the map. The track is a xc ski track and the hard packed snow hasn't melted yet, even though nearly everywhere else has. Oh well.. at least I got a thirty minute cycle in. Tomorrow is another day.

Had a massive blister and was sick at the end of last week so I took three days off running. I have now totally lost my momentum I went out this morning but ran the easy route and walked the last few minutes.

Running everyday seems to be the only way to keep my momentum going but I know physically I need to take a break every so often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Running everyday seems to be the only way to keep my momentum going but I know physically I need to take a break every so often.

Running every day is probably not sustainable. 3-4 times a week would be as much as I would personally recommend unless you were getting really serious about it. Is there anything else you like doing? swimming, cycling, weights etc. Some non cardio would probably be best if you are getting enough with the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

fits wrote: »
    Do any of you run with hangovers? I had people over for dinner last night, and while I feel ok (thanks to panadol and an affogato). I don't feel 100%. Was supposed to do a long run today but considering postponing until tmw. Might cycle to explore a new route instead. It looks good on the map bit I'm not sure if the snow has melted on it yet.

I try not to be hungover too often these days, but yes - I will run when I've had a few drinks the night before.
    The first 5 minutes can be difficult, but after that it's fine, and it feels great to get it done - and it makes you totally forget you're hungover.

(Although, thinking about it now - I mostly don't drink the day before I run and, if I do, I have 2 glasses of wine max, and loads of water. I used to drink *a lot* so this is a big lifestyle change for me. I started running with the C25K program Jan 13 after reading this very thread).

fits wrote: »
    Do any of you run with hangovers?

If I want to torture myself!

I'd rarely run for more than 30 minutes hungover. The main thing that makes you feel like crap with a hangover is dehydration, so you need to be a little careful. If it's warm or you really do feel terrible, just leave it and get some water or sports drink into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Workout one done! Didnt mind it too much eventhough i live in very hilly countryside.. And mum actually came with too!

If I want to torture myself!

I'd rarely run for more than 30 minutes hungover. The main thing that makes you feel like crap with a hangover is dehydration, so you need to be a little careful. If it's warm or you really do feel terrible, just leave it and get some water or sports drink into you.

its not even dehydration with me though. On Saturday night I made sure to keep hydrated. I am just reacting quite badly to fairly modest amounts of alcohol these days. I guess I'll just have to limit it even more..and time my workouts better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hadn't done anything in the way of regular exercise since...2010 - god that's so shameful! Went along to a running group tonight though and managed 5 miles, albeit slowly, so I'm going to try to go to it regularly now - I know if I don't go every week I'll fall into not going at all, and now I've put it on the internet I have to do it!

Advertisement