Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

highly1111 wrote: »
    Well girls - I DID IT!!! Ran for 20 minutes! I'm so chuffed. Week 5, Run 4.

BUT, for the very first time - I mapped my run and I am SO slow.... now, I knew I was slow - I'm a size 16 and have 3 babies under 5 - so my fitness would be brutal. Also, (not making excuses!) but I was probably even slower (if possible) tonight as I was more determined to do it rather than try and speed up.

Here are my stats:

Total distance: 1.85 miles/3k
    Pace: 16:14 minutes per mile/10.08 minutes/km
    (about 6k per hour)
    Projected 5k - 50.29 minutes

So, I suppose my question is - how bad is my pace that I really need to up it? or am I doing the right thing on focusing on endurance and actually just completing the programme - do I worry about pace later?

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated!! I'm off to have a Chinese!!! ;-)

Well done!, just focus on the time and stamina for the moment. Speed will come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

finished week 7 this evening, where I had to do a 25min run. Was actually surprisingly do-able as I had struggled with the 22 min run on week 6. I found I got at a comfortable albeit slow pace and didn't really want to stop when the program told me to.

Doing a 5k next Saturday in Phoenix Park so based on this evening's run I should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I think I'm going to actually map out 5k and set that as my route - it'll motivate me so I know that when I can run it, I'll have done the 5k. At the moment I'm doing a 3k route (as I just discovered tonight!) so even if I have to walk for longer outside of the programme to complete the loop, I think it'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

BUT, for the very first time - I mapped my run and I am SO slow.... now, I knew I was slow - I'm a size 16 and have 3 babies under 5 - so my fitness would be brutal. Also, (not making excuses!) but I was probably even slower (if possible) tonight as I was more determined to do it rather than try and speed up.

Here are my stats:

(about 6k per hour)

So, I suppose my question is - how bad is my pace that I really need to up it? or am I doing the right thing on focusing on endurance and actually just completing the programme - do I worry about pace later?

Congratulations!!! Not easy with 3 smallies at all. My first full 5k took me just under an hour, the pace was a bit disheartening but I was happy just to finish it. I chipped away at it and as the weeks went on and seeing the time go down was really motivating.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! Not easy with 3 smallies at all. My first full 5k took me just under an hour, the pace was a bit disheartening but I was happy just to finish it. I chipped away at it and as the weeks went on and seeing the time go down was really motivating.

Thanks - that's actually really motivating.

Are you still running? what's your pace like now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Here are my stats:

(about 6k per hour)

Look pace is pace.

I could do 5 km in 26 mins or in 52 mins. It makes no difference. I will have done it. You are on this adventure yourself for you. You can't compare yourself to others cos you are you and you are unique.

And you should be proud of yourself x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm back running, I started back on Week 3 of the programme 3 days ago, did day 2 this morning. It was grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I know they say you shouldn't let rain stop you but I went out and did my 5 minute warm up and half the three minute run (on week 4 day 3) and it just poured rain! So I'll go later on. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

@highly1111 I'd 100% just stick with the Couch 2 5k and try to keep in mind that you're following a progressive programme and you're only 5/6 weeks into it. There's always a bit in any structured plan where you think 'JESUS THIS IS TOO SLOW!!!' and then you either push it so far that you hurt yourself or push it so far that it sucks hideously to do it anymore and you end up not doing anything at all. You only have another couple of weeks to go and then you'll be able to run 5km and you can work on your pace.

Today I did Day 2 of week 5 :) The first 8 minutes were ok, although I always have a downer patch when the lady on my podcast says '5 minutes! You must be feeling great now, all your muscles are warmed up and you're good to go!" and I'm thinking "Ow...ow...ow...lungs...calves...wobbly arse...lungs....ow..."

The last 2 minutes of the second run were hard. Think I'll repeat this day tomorrow and do day 3 on Tuesday next week, I think if I tried 20 minutes all in one go without doing this one again I might sit down and have a self pitying weep for myself.

I had new runners today and they were nice and shiny to look at. Also I saw someone weeing onto crocuses in the park near my house and that distracted me for about 3 seconds of tutting

D128ECD1-FC78-4597-82CE-61F3EDC72ED9_zpsax0h6gda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks - that's actually really motivating.

Are you still running? what's your pace like now??

Still running, my pace has gone way down though cause I've been off the last 6 weeks with an injury. I went out for the first time on Monday and couldn't even manage three minutes before I had to stop but went out a few times and was able to manage a full 25 mins this morning. I haven't done a full 5k since Jan and I did that in about 35 mins. I'm about 2.5 stone overweight so I'm hoping that as I have less bulk to carry around the speed will pick up.

• Advertisement

3.5 km today. Felt good! Will push for 4 km during the week. First long outdoor run. Normally go on the treadmill. Got new runners which have given me a bit of a blister though. Will need different socks!

All in, feeling good. Sweaty, but good.

First run since my horrible one last Wednesday. I actually felt nervous about it before I went. And... it was great! felt really comfortable. Did 4.23km in 30minutes. Happy enough with that. Gonna follow the Irish times get running 10km course now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Jogged my first 5km yesterday evening, last week of c25k!!! quite slow at 45 mins. It actually wasn't too bad going I have to say, it didn't seem as long as I thought it would be. Doing a 5km on Saturday and practice one or two more myself to get comfortable with the distance and pick up the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Just back, first run in the evening and i cant do it, the air is just too cold and my lungs dont like it! Was useless today! I managed to do the run but my app tells me i only ran 100m when i did nearly 2km friday! Tis all lies :pac:

Started week 6 last night. Was very windy and tough because I did end up running against the wind. however, took a new route which is nearly 4k - my last one was barely 2 - so I must have picked up the pace in my 2 x 5 minute runs. however, tomorrow's run is 2 x 10 minutes so I'll be back taking it handy for that. I won't push myself at all pace wise.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Just back, first run in the evening and i cant do it, the air is just too cold and my lungs dont like it! Was useless today! I managed to do the run but my app tells me i only ran 100m when i did nearly 2km friday! Tis all lies :pac:

most likely just a bad run. We all have those, I had a rotten one last week. people can and do run at much colder temps than we get in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

fits wrote: »
    people can and do run at much colder temps than we get in Ireland.
    I'm probably the only crazy one that thinks this, but I absolutely love running when it's really cold and dry. It's only the ice that's really a problem when it drops below freezing - it's actually quite pleasant down to around -10c as long as you're properly dressed for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm probably the only crazy one that thinks this, but I absolutely love running when it's really cold and dry. It's only the ice that's really a problem when it drops below freezing - it's actually quite pleasant down to around -10c as long as you're properly dressed for it.

That is pretty common actually. There is good reason why alot of world records have been set in Helsinki and similar places. A cold dry day is ideal. I even like a little bit of rain.

-10 and calm and sunny is great. Even up to -20 is doable but not for everyone (I don't have shoes that cope with that) Sub zero and windy absolutely sucks though.

I'm trying to map out a 5km in my area without looping back on myself so much. The furthest I can get is 4.5 :mad: The next logical loop is over 10 km! (I'm surrounded by parks).

Might try a 4.5 tonight and see how I go. I'm convinced that, had I run further initially the other night, I could have easily done 5 km. My issue was that I saw my house and got tired :P

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    (I'm surrounded by parks).
    :P

Lucky you!

You could do a five minute walk in one direction and then double back to start your loop?

fits wrote: »
    Lucky you!

You could do a five minute walk in one direction and then double back to start your loop?

Yeah, I'll see. Still figuring out my tolerances.

Well that was a weird run this evening. Repeating Week 5 Day 2 because when I went to give it a whirl again on Saturday I felt like narky, tired, hyperventilating hell and I...gave up 3 minutes into my first run and went to Tesco instead.

So today went out and I was so not enjoying the first 8 minute run that I had to promise myself that I could just go home when I was finished it and flip the rest of the run. Dragged myself into the second 8 minutes, was hijeous, then 5 minutes into it I got into my stride and flew the last 3. Thanks for playing with my head like that legs, lungs, mood & motivation. Thanks very much indeed, yiz are as helpful.

I will do this day one more time, just because I hated it so much and don't want to bring that level of stroppiness into my 20 minute run.

Caught sight of my legs in manys the shop window though, they're looking epic! Teeny bit of definition starting to show there :) Hotpants cut high on the a*se to work any day now...

I have been thinking about repeating week 5 day 1 because I found it tough and I think the jump to an eight minute jog is too big for me. Any advice?

I repeat days in weeks pretty regularly if the next run seems like it'll be too much of a stretch based on how I found the one before it. I think as long as you don't let yourself get stuck in a rut where you're running the same day over and over again because you're afraid to move upwards then it's a-ok. I stand to be corrected though!

I think I'll do W5 D1 again and then see how I feel about moving on. Thanks!

I went out this eve and did 4km. I only ran ~1.5 km though. I've a touch of a cold and breathing was tough, also (& possibly more impacting) I've got severe tummy trouble (bad bout of constipation - pushing 3 weeks) so each step was agony.

Tomorrow is another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 4 Day 1 done yesterday. The temperatures have gone way up in the last week, I found it hard enough but finished it. I suppose it'll be hard til I get used to hot temperatures again!

PP, When I did this before, I used to repeat days if I felt as if I wasn't ready to go to the next week. It's allowed!

The last day was 5 minute warm up walk, then:
    - 5 minutes jogging
    - 3 minutes walking
    - 5 minutes jogging
    - 3 minutes walking
    - 5 minutes jogging

Next one is 5 minute warm up walk, then:
    - 8 minutes jogging
    - 5 minutes walking
    - 8 minutes jogging

I just feel like it's a massive jump so I'm going to repeat day 1 tomorrow. I really don't feel like I'd be able for an 8 minute jog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'd be surprised, PP. Don't sell yourself short - maybe try the first jog of it, but if it doesn't work for you then carry on with the 5,3,5 pattern of the first day of W5?

Almost ended up skipping the second half of my workout last night, spin class was basically ALL THE HILLCLIMBS and my legs were in bits. Glad I didn't skip it though, the run afterwards made my legs feel great and kinda got some of the burn out - even if the first few minutes were absolutely horrible!

Advertisement