Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

I run in xc ski pants right now. They are soft shell in front but not at back. They also have reflectors at the knees, and they look cool. also good for hiking.
    I have leggings and tops from aldi also, but the tops are getting smelly. The one with the mesh back and thumb hole I really like though. Not keen on the leggings. Won't buy from them again id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

fits wrote: »
    thumb hole I really like though.

I love the thumb hole in the More Mile stuff. Its the little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love the thumb hole in the More Mile stuff. Its the little things.

Have a bunch of base layers from Penneys with those - grand for running, but when I wore one cycling it got more than a little bit painful under my gloves when it started rubbing! :eek:

I'm more likely to just throw one of my running jackets on with a t-shirt and capris or leggings during the winter (added benefit of extra pockets!), but I wear t-shirts (long or short sleeve) or vest tops and shorts a lot of the time from April to October.

Speaking of pockets - how do you carry your stuff out running?

I normally bring house keys, tissues, ipod, stopwatch, phone and depending on if Ive driven to the place, there could be car keys too. I also have a water bottle.

I always bring my phone since a sprained ankle injury once and I have actually bought a tiny cheap phone with a pay as you go sim in it for this very purpose as my usual phone is huge and heavy.

But im always at a loss where to put the rest of the keys, tissues etc... I do wear a bum bag but I often see other women running and they dont seem to be carrying anything - where do they put their keys???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Speaking of pockets - how do you carry your stuff out running?

I normally bring house keys, tissues, ipod, stopwatch, phone and depending on if Ive driven to the place, there could be car keys too. I also have a water bottle.

I always bring my phone since a sprained ankle injury once and I have actually bought a tiny cheap phone with a pay as you go sim in it for this very purpose as my usual phone is huge and heavy.

But im always at a loss where to put the rest of the keys, tissues etc... I do wear a bum bag but I often see other women running and they dont seem to be carrying anything - where do they put their keys???

If my partner's not home to let me back in to the gaff - I put my house key under the mat (beyond the wit of any thief).
    I have an armband for my iPhone.
    I don't really need to take anything else as I run locally.
    So I am no use to you basically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I also wear More Mile long sleeve tops and zip up tops. Id wear zip tops from Dunnes too, they had a nice range last year and I got a few different colours.

Oh I'd not heard of More Mile - looking now, looks nice: http://www.moremile.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=3913,4099&CAT_ID=4116&P_ID=40323

Phone, keys, tenner in the back pocket of my shorts, Oyster card in my bra in case of emergencies. A bit icky :pac:

I'm careful when I buy shorts, capris or leggings to make sure they have a big enough pocket for the essentials.

quaalude wrote: »
    Oh I'd not heard of More Mile - looking now, looks nice: http://www.moremile.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=3913,4099&CAT_ID=4116&P_ID=40323

Yeah theyre grand, Ive only ever used their long sleeved tops and zip up tops - both are good fit and wash well etc..

Phone, keys, tenner in the back pocket of my shorts, Oyster card in my bra in case of emergencies. A bit icky :pac:

I'm careful when I buy shorts, capris or leggings to make sure they have a big enough pocket for the essentials.

I put my smart phone in the back pocket of my leggings before and the weight of it pulled them down exposing my bum crack!!! (hence I got a small cheap phone).

I haven't run outdoors in ages and less chance of it happening now that it's getting warmer, but key under mat, carry ipod in hand. In colder weather I'd have a thin running zip up yokey with a pocket in the front to put the ipod in

I wouldn't mind getting a water bottle with a hole in the middle for carrying

• Advertisement

I put my smart phone in the back pocket of my leggings before and the weight of it pulled them down exposing my bum crack!!! (hence I got a small cheap phone).

This is why the drawstring is a wonderful invention :)

Run from my office and carry phone for mp3 function and key fob and wear a watch, that's it. I do wonder if I should carry id. might be obliged to by law, but i don't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have an armband that I put my phone into, use the music on my phone for jogging and there's a little zip section where I put my house key. That's all I take with me, although in fairness I'm not going as far as some of you so I don't need to carry water etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Have 2 arm pocket things from sportsdirect (in pink - unlike a fair few of you I like pink lol), my leggings all have a key pocket (from aldi / penneys / tk maxx) all my clothes for running come from the 3 of them and sports direct.

Arm pocket fits phone, money, key etc I've never used two at the one time, but like to have them both just in case :rolleyes: - very handy, afaik they have them in sports world (heatons) too, they only have union jack pattern ones left on sportsdirect:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-arm-pocket-mens-764014?colcode=76401491

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I love love love the nike dri-fit stuff. Especially the 3/4 loose fit trackies. Baggy t-shirts for me. Would love to wear sleeveless but I hate my arms so no, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm so happy, I got through the two 8 minute runs! It was actually fine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I'm so happy, I got through the two 8 minute runs! It was actually fine! :D

Good Woman :D I'm just back from my second go at it, was slightly better than first time round!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Finished week 4 this morning. It was cooler this morning but actually harder because it was humid and sticky. Still felt nice after though!
    I love my garmin, I can see that I'm making progress because today was the first time I could actually easily see the change between the walking and running intervals on the speed graph! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Went for a lovely run this morning, "only" managed 2.5k but very happy with that, I had a six week break due to injury and started back last week, found it really hard but my muscles are starting to remember :) I find doing yoga and strength training on non running days has made a huge difference and I love the feeling of going that little but further and longer each time I go out.

I just wish people with dogs would have a bit more consideration. My injury came about after I tripped over an over enthusiastic dog and I'm feeling a bit nervous now anytime I see one. Would it kill people to put their dog on the lead just until a runner has passed them by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did the Aware 5k in the phoenix park yesterday morn. 35 mins I couldn't believe it, was thinking I'd be nearer the 40min mark. First 5k run I have entered since.
    starting c25k program. Did the same run last year in 45mins.
    Have looked at the follow on program ro doing 10k as i want to make a decent attempt at mini marathon this year.
    Walked miles around the zoo after so legs a bit sore today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

So thrilled with myself - yesterday I did week 6 day 3 which is a 25 minute jog!

Week 7 is 3 25 minute jogs, week 8 28 minutes and then week 9 30 minutes.

Steady steady....

Delighted with myself though - can't believe I've stayed with the programme - seems like only yesterday I was seriously struggling with a 90 second run.

Just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else. When I started doing C25k I used to get awful headaches once the run times went up past 8 minutes. I was really worried about it, was it my blood pressure, did I have some underlying medical condition etc... Anyway I picked up a tip online that resolved it. After any run I clap my arms back and forth across my chest like I'm cold, then I do the arms motion like I'm butterfly swimming, then that in reverse, and last I do neck stretches. I do all the above 20 times each. Whatever I'm doing when I run, I tense up the neck and shoulders and give myself a headache if I don't stretch that whole area out afterwards. I can feel the soreness when I'm doing the butterfly swimming motion, it's tension.

Hope that helps someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I just completed week 5, I'm actually so proud of myself right now. I thought I wouldn't be able for it at all but it was grand. I can't believe I ran 20 minutes wothout stopping! Probably sounds silly but I am actually a little bit emotional.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I just completed week 5, I'm actually so proud of myself right now. I thought I wouldn't be able for it at all but it was grand. I can't believe I ran 20 minutes wothout stopping! Probably sounds silly but I am actually a little bit emotional.. :o

Not silly at all! I took 3 attempts to do the full 20mins and when I finally did it I stopped running and cried like a baby, didn't care who saw or what they were thinking, its a real milestone moment because you are now over the intervals and entering a new phase of your journey where you are running exclusively, its a huge moment, well done!!!!

I let out a whoop of joy when I completed it last summer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Think I might have to repeat todays run, just wasnt enjoyable..against the wind the entire way, stitch in my side half way through that I could not get rid of(any advice on that?)and to top it off one of the farmers dogs decided to attack my dog so I had to hreak that up!
    Think my gps might be off to cause despite all that it says i did 4k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Think I might have to repeat todays run, just wasnt enjoyable..against the wind the entire way, stitch in my side half way through that I could not get rid of(any advice on that?)and to top it off one of the farmers dogs decided to attack my dog so I had to hreak that up!
    Think my gps might be off to cause despite all that it says i did 4k!

I find deep breaths and slowing right down helps. Failing that, stretching. Raise your arms above your head and lean away from the side with the stitch and it should ease. Breathing is important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭HotHHead

Just wondering, its probably been memtioned here but haven't managed to get through all posts yet as there are so many.
    I've been saying for a LONG time now I'm going to do this so can someone recommend an ap for Samsung phone? Please..

I downloaded the podcasts from nhs choices. Its a Samsung phone I have but windows, not android.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    I find deep breaths and slowing right down helps. Failing that, stretching. Raise your arms above your head and lean away from the side with the stitch and it should ease. Breathing is important though.

I try to concentrate on the exhale. I exhale as deeply as I can. And slowing down.

Somtimes though, stitches just hit and there is no apparent reason or cure! I suspect for me it is to do with how much is in my stomach, or maybe what ive been doing beforehand (I notice Im more likely to get one on an evening run having been sat at a desk all day for instance).

Advertisement