Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks all, I will go running-knickers-shopping at the weekend! :D
    I wouldn't be brave enough for going commando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sauve wrote: »
    Penneys seamless thongs are good.

These are my everyday wear pants, but I buy them in size 18-20 (Im about a 12-14 on the bottom) because otherwise I find that as they get washed they are shrinking slightly and I hate the sight of a pair of pants breaking the line of clothes by digging into the skin.

But - these are the ones Ive worn running where Ive friction burned around the edges of my ladygarden so Ive been trying to run in big pants since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Tried my first greater than 5k distance last night (after many months of running 5Ks thanks to the couch to 5K programme).

Managed 6.25K in 35:41 which is an average pace of 05:42/KM so I'm delighted with that :)

In a few more months I'm hoping to hit 10K !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I tried to run last night (I was aiming for 3km) but only managed 2km. It was indoors on a treadmill so can't blame the weather! I was tired tho, only managed about 30 lengths in a swim too when normally I'd hit 60 without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

sullivlo wrote: »
    I tried to run last night (I was aiming for 3km) but only managed 2km. It was indoors on a treadmill so can't blame the weather! I was tired tho, only managed about 30 lengths in a swim too when normally I'd hit 60 without a bother.

Something is better than nothing ;)

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    Something is better than nothing ;)
    Ah yeah, and I'll stick with it. It was just a bit disheartening! Although I had been awake since 5, and I had consumed a few glasses of vino the night before. Could be that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The heat is killing me for running now! It's into the 20's in the middle of the night so getting up early won't help.
    (I went running yesterday morning at 9am, it was 30 degrees already).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I tend to swim a lot more than run when it's really, really hot! I ran maybe twice in 6 weeks last summer when we had the heatwave here (30-33 most of the time for that period), just wasn't comfortable. Swimming in an outdoor pool or in open water is absolutely lovely though.

Just do whatever is comfortable - if that means running at odd times so be it, if it means switching to swimming more or possibly cycling (a bit more comfortable in hot weather than running because you get more of a breeze) so be it, and if you need to cut your distances or slow down to cope with the heat then do it.

I tend to swim a lot more than run when it's really, really hot! I ran maybe twice in 6 weeks last summer when we had the heatwave here (30-33 most of the time for that period), just wasn't comfortable. Swimming in an outdoor pool or in open water is absolutely lovely though.

Just do whatever is comfortable - if that means running at odd times so be it, if it means switching to swimming more or possibly cycling (a bit more comfortable in hot weather than running because you get more of a breeze) so be it, and if you need to cut your distances or slow down to cope with the heat then do it.
    That makes me happy, thanks :) I'm not exercising for times / distances. I'm keeping track of progress and pushing myself a bit further each day, but I'm exercising mainly for weight loss. So I guess as the weight decreases, running will get easier as there's less to carry around!

I'm a happy kirby today... ordered a new sports bra yesterday from Amazon, picked the free delivery option, supposed to arrive around the 17th and it arrived at lunchtime! Pretty awesome too because I have a sprint triathlon on Sunday and one of my old ones absolutely chafed the girls off when I was doing a cycle/run session on Tuesday :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'm really not feeling the motivation for running at the moment. I've never yet reached the 'zen' enjoyment stage of running - I've never run for more than 5k (and usually less) so maybe that's part of it. But I'm really meh about it at the moment. However I feel very aware that it's good exercise, so feel like I should keep it up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I went out last night for the first time in weeks, as I’ve been away on holidays, and was worried that my fitness would have dropped – but actually it was fine

Things I like about jogging in summer:
    - The park is open later because of the longer days, so I can go out after work
    - I can run on the grass without getting my shoes covered in muck
    - The sunshine is glorious

Things I don’t like about jogging in summer:
    - The park is packed, unlike on cold days in winter where you only really see dog walkers and runners
    - Clouds of midges, which aren’t always easy to see! I hate running into these

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

I havent run in a couple of weeks either (I have been cycling instead). Back in finland now without my zoomy bike so back to the tracks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Holy God, I nearly died running in the heat yesterday. I had terrible flashbacks to a hot yoga class I took years ago.

How's everyone else finding it?

Not too bad at all tbh - but I've had a lot of time to acclimatise this year because we had a very mild spring, our first 20c day was in March. Did a brick session (22km cycle followed by a 5km run) earlier this month on a 25c afternoon and that was rough, but I didn't take any water during it so probably my own fault there. A lot more comfortable when I repeated the same session 3 days later and it was 18c-ish.

Ended up swimming this morning on an unusually cold morning, which meant an air temperature of 14-ish and a water temperature of around 19 in the outdoor pool. That is a very strange feeling, wanting to dive because it's warmer in the water...

I'm finding it harder this year than last year, last year the temperatures rose gradually to peak in August, whereas this year they were cool-ish (ie low 20s) and all of a sudden went straight into the 30s!
    It's been ever so slightly cooler in the mornings the last 3 days so I've been able to run further. I love the new route I've found too, I get to run around a park for part of it which is nice, and while there are some hills, no mental ones.
    I'm running 30 minutes ok. I'll move up the time a bit next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

7 degrees (feels like 1) and rainy here today. Not too appealing for the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I feel like a wimp giving out about the heat when I see your temperatures Ivy!

Ran almost a minute slower per mile last night, it was pretty humid but I was comfortable enough really...could've gone a bit faster probably but nobody was pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Roasted yesterday evening! Did 4 km in 31 mins. Ended up jogging in the shade and being forced to walk in the sun shine! Was going around panting like a dog!

I feel like a wimp giving out about the heat when I see your temperatures Ivy!

Ran almost a minute slower per mile last night, it was pretty humid but I was comfortable enough really...could've gone a bit faster probably but nobody was pushing it.
    Ah you're not a wimp, sure it's all about what you're used to!
    I have to make myself go out whenever it cools down a bit or I wouldn't run til September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Holy God, I nearly died running in the heat yesterday. I had terrible flashbacks to a hot yoga class I took years ago.

How's everyone else finding it?

I ran on Sandymount Strand this morning before work at 7am IN SHORTS.
    This all would have been unthinkable 18 months ago: a) running, b) at 7am c) IN SHORTS.
    I haven't worn shorts in anything other than school PE class since I was about 9 (I'm 38 now).
    It was great - so cooling! Plus I think I looked deadly :)

And it's all thanks to reading this thread and starting the C25K in Jan 2013! Cheers to all who post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This came up on my Facebook feed today (from SwimCycleRun.) Maybe there are a few here interested in getting into triathlons or improving their out door swimming.

"Women in Sport Open Water Swimming Workshop

July 13th- Killaloe, ULAC"

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1807

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Back to C25K today after a few months off with a minor op.
    Went better than expected.

Any ladies doing the Dublin Race Series 5 mile on Saturday?

I'm not expecting great things from myself as I'm only running a wet weekend, but looking forward to it nonetheless :)

I'm running 33 minutes now reasonably comfortably now.
    And this morning I did my fastest ever 5K, in 35 minutes (2 minutes of that was the cool down, so I should be able to do 5K slightly faster when it's all running).
    Loving it!

5K in 32.5 minutes! :)
    Feel like I'm going to die, but great at the same time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I'm slowly trying to build my fitness up again. I made the mistake a while ago of doing too much too soon and ended up in pain for days after and didn't run again for ages.

I started back a couple of weeks ago, alternating jogging and walking. I'm now up to 22 mins continuous jogging at a slow but comfortable pace. I'm increasing my time by a minute each run, if I'm able for it.

It's been really beneficial taking things slowly because I've been able to focus more on my breathing and regulate it so I'm more in control. It took a while to get used to but I'm starting to do it automatically now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I had a busy week with a wedding weekend then came down with flu like illness the next week that is now in its second week and still feeling the tail end of it so I haven't run in over 2 weeks now and feeling a bit like a (mildly weak) serial killer.

I'm not going to be up to it tomorrow so it'll be next week before I'm back at it. I'd gotten new running shorts and all and they're lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, (mods feel free to move!) but basically I'm trying to get back into the whole running thing, was doing the C25K with the gang but had to stop due to an ankle injury, going purchasing new runners now but just looking for your impute in regards comfort and style (I'm a girl!!!) and thought it would be best suited to the Ladies Lounge.

What do you use yourself and do you recommend it?!

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

I tend to go spendy on sports bras and relatively cheap on everything else.

T-shirts? For basics, you'll get decent ones in Sports Direct or whatever Heatons' version of it is called, and they will be relatively cheap. Slightly further up, the Nike Miler ones are great - quite a flattering cut and decently long too. For long runs, I occasionally use a cycling jersey because I like having lots of pockets.

Sports bras? My opinion here is skewed by needing armour up top, but I really love the Panache sports bra. Underwired with a moulded cup and really supportive. The Shock Absorber D+ Max and B4490 bras are both good too.

Shorts/capris? Nike Tempo are really comfortable, but lack pockets apart from a small one for a key so can be slightly impractical. Karrimor baggy shorts are decent. Love my 2XU tri shorts too, but my favourite shorts ever are probably my Nike Filament short tights.

Shoes? I'm crazy injury prone, not the lightest runner (11 stone-ish) and need support, so I wear the Asics Gel-Kayano. Last year's model because it was 80 quid on Start Fitness about 6 months ago. Pretty much any gait analysis I've ever had has put me in supportive Asics, Brooks or Mizuno shoes.

Advertisement