Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, (mods feel free to move!) but basically I'm trying to get back into the whole running thing, was doing the C25K with the gang but had to stop due to an ankle injury, going purchasing new runners now but just looking for your impute in regards comfort and style (I'm a girl!!!) and thought it would be best suited to the Ladies Lounge.

What do you use yourself and do you recommend it?!

Thanks! :)

MOD

Hi OrangeVarnish,

I've merged your thread with our existing running thread, where all things to do with running can be discussed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Finally got up to 30 mins running today. It was quite comfortable (apart from the heat and the flies :() but I was moving very slowly. My legs feel strong but my lungs can't keep up!

Next time I go out I'm going to do sprint intervals as they really helped me increase my speed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I did parkrun for the first time this weekend, it was a bit tougher than I thought it would be but I really enjoyed it, and will go back (even if it is at 9.30 on a Saturday, which was previously reserved for sleep).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I did parkrun for the first time this weekend, it was a bit tougher than I thought it would be but I really enjoyed it, and will go back (even if it is at 9.30 on a Saturday, which was previously reserved for sleep).
    Good on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Lidl has running gear today. There was plenty left when I was in one at 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Good on you!

Cheers, have you gone along yet? It's good enough craic.

I think I've gotten the bug now, half considering doing cross country this year.:pac: This good intention might not last.

Lidl has running gear today. There was plenty left when I was in one at 12.

Oh a word of warning, I bought the Capri pants there a while back. THEY'RE COMPLETELY SEE THROUGH :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Cheers, have you gone along yet? It's good enough craic.

I think I've gotten the bug now, half considering doing cross country this year.:pac: This good intention might not last.
    Ha, I can just about walk in the mornings. A run might just kill me.

Apologies to the Boardsie I scared while out on my run yesterday. A tendency to move quite stealthily, breath quite alarmingly and a lack of understanding about forward momentum all culminated in an unpleasant meeting for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I actually had a great moment today. I live in the US, and where I am it's been FAR too hot to run outside for the last six weeks or so - just muggy and humid and ugh.

But I'm visiting family in the UK, so decided to take advantage of the cooler weather and get outside for a run this morning. It was AMAZING. It has been so long since I've really enjoyed running, as I've been hitting the treadmill instead, which I always find somewhat depressing. But today, I loved it. Got a runner's high for the first time in ages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm just rather happy that it has cooled down by a small bit here in the last few days! My goal race (London Triathlon) is on Sunday, and I literally cheered out loud when I saw that the high for the day was only forecast to be in the 22-24c range :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Don’t ever go out for a run with someone who is vastly fitter than you are, unless you want to crush your soul! My boyfriend was visiting me, and said he wanted to go for a run one morning, so I said I’d go with him. Never mind the fact that he’s been running 3-4 times a week in an African desert for the last four years and I clearly haven’t, sure it’ll be grand.

We stayed together at first, and ten minutes in he had barely broken a sweat because he was obviously going so much slower than usual, while I was puffing along after him like the rhinoceros from Jumanji. Soon I was croaking “You go on without me - I’m only slowing you down” like a war film cliche.

I managed two laps of the park (~5km) before collapsing in a heap at the entrance. Himself bounded up a few minutes later, and told me he’d done four laps – so he’s pretty much twice as fast as I am :(

I’m doing my first race with my sister in less than two weeks, and as she is the sort of nutjob who does Tough Mudder on her birthday I’m now considering breaking my own leg to get out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Dug out the 'aul shock absorber and dusted off the Nikes and went for my first run in about a year and a half today. Before I got pregnant I was doing 8-10km a couple of times a week but got lazy the month before I found out I was expecting so didn't keep it up at all. The sum of my exercise since then has been some swimming(during the pregnancy), a bit of Pilates and a lot of running around after and lugging about a 20 odd lb crazy baby. Started doing couch to 5k today. In my infinite wisdom I started with week 2 day 1. It went okay, I was fairly surprised by just how much of a challenge I found it. It's going to be a long road back to where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 olddognotricks

Hi all,
    haven't been on in ages, got v slack with the running in June so had to start back at it couple of weeks ago. I DO NOT LIKE running in warm weather I've decided! Did a local fun run yest and managed to work myself up into a right nervous heap beforehand worrying about the heat and the run etc etc silly or what, and guess what I survived and it wasn't as bad as I thought and atmosphere was brill..... honestly I am my own worst enemy.....lesson here do not over think it , JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

ok, feel better now, back to work, maybe a snooze first...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I haven't been running in an age. The heat really doesn't agree with me and running. I was a sweatty mess.

Plus I broke my foot / toe thing so I was on a crutch.

I have made a decision that I will start back running in October. Until then I will focus on the weight loss and then see how I get on. I'll be starting back rugby training in the next two weeks so that should help my general fitness.

My OH keeps trying to convince me to play rugby. I am the most uncoordinated person on the face of the planet, I'm already injury-prone and I haven't played any team sport in about a decade and a half, but apparently I have good leg drive...

Need to give myself a bit of a kick up the arse to run more for the next month or so, have a half-marathon coming up in early September and the longest training run I've done so far is around 13km. This won't be pretty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

You should give it a go. One of the best things I ever did. You don't need to be coordinated to play rugby at all. It will be really interesting to see how I go this year after losing some weight, whether I will have lost some of my power! Hopefully not.

I know a few girls taking up rugby in London this year I can get some details from them if you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

I really need to start running again! Does anyone have a music/listening recommendations! One of the girls listening to audio books but I think I would need music tbh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Did my first half marathon yesterday. Delighted with myself!
    I started (and really struggled) training for my first 5k a little over a year ago. If you had asked me then I would have said NO WAY would I ever be able to do a HM ( and run the whole thing!:))
    Sorry for the smug post just hoping it might help inspire some other runners out there! Keep going!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I really need to start running again! Does anyone have a music/listening recommendations! One of the girls listening to audio books but I think I would need music tbh!!
    I listen to cheesy pop (fast songs), particularly 80's/early 90's stuff! It works for me.

I decided to relive my lost youth and put some Slipknot on while I was on the dreadmill at the gym earlier... might not be everyone's cup of tea but it helped me to get the legs moving 2 days after racing!

• Advertisement

My OH keeps trying to convince me to play rugby. I am the most uncoordinated person on the face of the planet, I'm already injury-prone and I haven't played any team sport in about a decade and a half, but apparently I have good leg drive...

Need to give myself a bit of a kick up the arse to run more for the next month or so, have a half-marathon coming up in early September and the longest training run I've done so far is around 13km. This won't be pretty :pac:

If you bump yourself up to the relevant week on the Hal Higdon programme you'd be grand!

My half is on the 20th Sept, don't know how I'm going to run 21km but I'll give it a bloody good go!

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/half-marathon-novice-2-training-program

Mine is on September 7th, I'm doing the Great North Run in Newcastle. I'm also doing a mile open water swim a week before it (30th August - Great London Swim) and I don't really want to stop cycling! Goal is sub-2, I've run 1:50 before but have been injured a lot since then.

Should be able to hop in at week 7 of that quite comfortably though. Pace run is 5:40/km ish on that which is fine. Apparently as of Sunday I'm capable of a 55 minute 10k after 1,500m in the water and 40km on my bike :pac:

Mine is on September 7th, I'm doing the Great North Run in Newcastle. I'm also doing a mile open water swim a week before it (30th August - Great London Swim) and I don't really want to stop cycling! Goal is sub-2, I've run 1:50 before but have been injured a lot since then.

Should be able to hop in at week 7 of that quite comfortably though. Pace run is 5:40/km ish on that which is fine. Apparently as of Sunday I'm capable of a 55 minute 10k after 1,500m in the water and 40km on my bike :pac:

Sauve is doing the Great North Run too :)

Fair play. I'm afraid to cycle to the shops :o

Was about to say "might see her there", but then remembered that the field for it is big enough (55,000) to take up both sides of a motorway at the start... :pac:

I did it 2 years ago too, but had an awful time of it. I was injured and spent 10 minutes in the physio tent at mile 10 having my back unlocked so I could finish. My second slowest half ever (2:15) and I didn't run for a month after it.

Jaysus. Well apart from my dodgy aul one hip and knee, I'm injury free and I would be absolutely delighted to get a time of 2:15. My target will be slower than that though I think. I'll know closer to the time I guess. I've got the Warrior's Run in Sligo Saturday fortnight. I made the mistake of looking up the elevations last night. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Pints in sligo afterwards yes? :D i can congratualte you on being awesome!..havnt gotten out since I moved up here..really must get back into it.this living a five min walk from work is not good and im noticing me getting lazy already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Did my first Parkrun on Sat - really enjoyed the set-up, if not the run. Today wasn't as awesome. I think I missed having the company...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Jaysus. Well apart from my dodgy aul one hip and knee, I'm injury free and I would be absolutely delighted to get a time of 2:15. My target will be slower than that though I think. I'll know closer to the time I guess. I've got the Warrior's Run in Sligo Saturday fortnight. I made the mistake of looking up the elevations last night. Oh dear.
    Ooh I admire your bravery, there's a reason it's called the Warriors run! :)
    There are good tips for it in the Warrior's run thread over in the Sligo forum.

Ooh I admire your bravery, there's a reason it's called the Warriors run! :)
    There are good tips for it in the Warrior's run thread over in the Sligo forum.

Excellent, the thread on A&R is quiet so I'll pop over there. Thankfully my friend is a regular to it at this stage so she's giving me plenty of encouragement.

Cheers.

SammyJo - I've no doubt that I'll be having a Guinness for "recovery" afterward :D

• Advertisement

OK - read that thread. Now I'm proper scared :/

Advertisement