Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Week 2 day 2 complete. I covered slightly less distance today but I'm not surprised considering I ate an 8 course meal last night along with 5 different complimenting wines. I'm soooo not used to drinking anymore so I'm proud that I even managed to get out today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Haven't posted here in a good while. Last few months have been up and down with regards to running. Was working through the C25K program from last year, did a 5k in April this year and was happy with my performance. Next goal was 10k women's mini-marathon. But hurt my ankle in May and that complete threw me. Even though it didn't really swell up it was quite sore. I did the mini-marathon but wasn't happy with my time, struggled with it because I hadn't been out jogging in 3 weeks.

So at the start of July I joined a local running club. It's not a serious club, a fitness club moreso - two nights a week, usually jogging but they have started to replace one of the nights every week or two weeks with circuits which I enjoy. Focus on warm up and downs for each session and to drink lots of water. Did 5k last night and even though I found I struggled energy wise - I did it in 37 mins. 4k with the club tomorrow eve. I do find it tough because I am not on my own and the others are quicker than me. Hopefully in time my speed will increase.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Scarinae wrote: »
    I’m doing my first race with my sister in less than two weeks, and as she is the sort of nutjob who does Tough Mudder on her birthday I’m now considering breaking my own leg to get out of it...

Well I survived the run over the weekend, it was a lot more fun than I was expecting and we were a colourful mess by the end of it. I thought I'd be holding my sister and the others back but actually it was grand and I ran the whole thing. We were all given packets of colour at the end for a post-run party as well, which looked like this:

ColourRunParty_zpsfa3e5174.jpg

I know a lot of people love them, but a Color Run really doesn't look like my sort of thing! I tend to freak out a bit if I end up really messy...

Well done btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Thank you! Thankfully it didn't rain so it was easy enough to brush most of the powder off, they even had leaf blowers to clean people as they were leaving but the queues were huge and we didn't bother.

I was surprised by how many people were walking, even at the beginning, although it was a fun run rather than a serious race. There were even some groups of 4/5 people walking along holding hands or with linked arms, which were trickier to dodge around!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I've just registered for the Run in the Dark on November 12th in Dublin. I've (optimistically) signed up for the 10k.

I'll need the motivation to get out when the evenings start getting dark... I've been getting so lazy these last couple of weeks.

You'll be fine :)

Autumn is a great time to run, bit more comfortable than the summer and loads of runners out because it isn't too far away from the Dublin marathon. Good to have that date pencilled in too, helps in terms of motivation to have a goal race set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I've just registered for the Run in the Dark on November 12th in Dublin. I've (optimistically) signed up for the 10k.

I'll need the motivation to get out when the evenings start getting dark... I've been getting so lazy these last couple of weeks.

Me too! Ran 6k last Mon. I'll see how I geton over that distance again tmw and then try to come up with a training plan later in the week.
    Can't wait!

Me too! Ran 6k last Mon. I'll see how I geton over that distance again tmw and then try to come up with a training plan later in the week.
    Can't wait!
    Yay! :)

Up until now I've been doing 30 minute runs but today I decided to try 35 mins. I found it hard physically and mentally, I just wasn't feeling good but I did it and that's the main thing.

I think I will just increase my distance gradually, week by week and do a few short fast runs too. I might take a look at training plans online but I started the bridge to 10k last year and didn't like going back to walking between runs so that put me off.

• Advertisement

For a first 10k, Hal Higdon's novice program sounds like it would work well for you. If you're covering around 5km in that 35 minutes then it should fit in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I've registered for the 10 km but I'm going to change to the 5 km - thats way more achievable for me.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I've registered for the 10 km but I'm going to change to the 5 km - thats way more achievable for me.
    I was going to register for 5k but I can pretty much run that now so I registered for the 10k as that will be more of a challenge for me. But I did so knowing that I can change to 5k if the training doesn't go well.

It's been busy for me lately as I'm starting a new job next week and had to find accommodation and move etc. Hopefully I'll get settled quickly, find a nice route near my new home and get out running soon. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have been working my way through C25K - (have almost finished week 6) but think I've pulled my Achilles tendon. Left ankle up to calf very tight so I'll rest it up for a couple of days.

Am thrilled with how easy the progress has been - I was already fit but had never run properly due to mild asthma.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've had a bit of a break from running due to getting a job and moving but this evening I had my first run since I've moved.

I had a really nice run - I went to a little park where I did a few laps and there were loads of other runners around and even better, lots of cute doggies! Then I did a lap around the block and passed a flat I lived in years ago which was nice for nostalgic reasons.

I normally run with a GPS watch but it wasn't charged so I went out without it. I'm usually constantly checking my watch to see how long I've been running and how fast (slow!) I'm going. So it was strangely liberating to just run, without thinking about times and distance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Signed up to the 8k women's mini marathon in Limerick at the end of the month.

I have only ever run 5k before so said I would head out last night and attempt 8k (managed to run/jog it non stop in a time of 46:49), hopefully get that to 45 mins or less by race day!

Anyone else doing the mini marathon in limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I started running during the summer and was doing really well but then got injured. Only started back Wednesday night. I do the Park run on Saturday mornings in Waterstown Park in Palmerstown, Dublin 20. It's a 5k every Saturday morning.

I haven't done one in a while - I'm nervous about tomorrow - and of course it's going to be raining. There's a big group of people doing it though and everyone is very supposrtive of each other. When you feel you can't go on there's always someone saying something nice to help you dig deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

The only thing I will say to people who are finding it harder to move on to longer times/ further distances - give yourself a break. Everyone is different and if you push yourself too much at the start you will end up with an injury and put yourself out of action for a few weeks. Listen to your body, it's telling you if you're doing too much. My boyfriend keeps telling me, the rest and recovery you give your body is just as important as the stretching and running itself. If you don't give yourself enough time in between going out you will injury yourself (this is what happened me).

It's good to see so many people being active and running for such good causes too.

I'm not sure how this happened but I've gone from struggling to run 5k a few weeks ago to running nearly 8k this evening!

These last few runs I've actually enjoyed running as opposed to forcing myself through it and feeling good after. Long may it continue! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Right, I'm in.

Hell and back, here I come.

Doing this off-road on a hill so don't know if I'll be following it exactly, the flat bits I did on road today were a lot easier than the uphills and steep downhills on trails...

Today I managed: 3.7km. Uphill I was running 30 seconds, walking 30 seconds. Downhill (after I loosened up a bit and got into the swing of it) and on the flat I was running 60 seconds, walking 30 seconds. Like an eejit, I didn't properly look at the time when I started but I THINK it took me about 30 minutes in all. Will do the same route again on Wednesday - expecting to be stiff tomorrow and Tuesday. Next Sunday I'll try again, hopefully get up to 45 second runs uphill and 75 downhill. Will start adding strength in next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I recently decided to restart my attempt at Couch to 5k. I've tried this twice before and just gave up for various reasons, lack of motivation being the major one!

Just finished W1D2 and I haven't told anyone (except my BF) that I'm trying it again. Fingers crossed I can finish it and have my first 5k done by Christmas! Hopefully I'll find some tips and tricks in this thread to keep up my motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I swallowed a fly during my run yesterday evening.

A really, really big fly.

On the upside, I now feel ready to enter Fear Factor, if it's still on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've not been doing much running since before the summer due to lack of time and injury but having gained a bit of weight I'm back pounding the pavements. I have done the C25K so many times I'm sick of it so I'm doing the excellent Irish Times Get Running program which is similar to C25K but just mixes things up a bit. Right now I'm up to about 3.5k before I have to stop so hoping to reach 5k by the holidays.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I swallowed a fly during my run yesterday evening.

A really, really big fly.

On the upside, I now feel ready to enter Fear Factor, if it's still on tv.
    Ugh but lol! I've swallowed a few (small!) flies running and a few weeks ago a fly flew straight into my eye! :(

My worst fly related episode:

Was out for a run. Had the dog with me. The dog did a poo and I cleaned it up like a responsible adult. The bag split as I was scooping so had dog poo on my hand. THEN a fly flew into my eye. 2 km from home. Worst run ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I'm starting week 4 tomorrow, slightly horrified at the thought of 5 minutes jogging! Hopefully the weather will improve overnight and I won't get blown away or get soaked.

I was reading the DCM threads and found some people really inspiring so I'll be thinking of them tomorrow if I struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm starting week 4 tomorrow, slightly horrified at the thought of 5 minutes jogging! Hopefully the weather will improve overnight and I won't get blown away or get soaked.

I did week 4 last week. I found it tough, but manageable. Just go really slowly to pace yourself. The feeling of accomplishment afterwards is super.

I'm repeating it this week as I don't feel ready to step it up a gear yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NewRunnerSD

Hi all I'm new to this thread and looking for some advice. I completed my first 5K a few months ago but since then I feel like I have lost all motivation for running.

Just wondering if anybody found the same when they completed the 5K programme?

I am thinking of joining a running club but I am afraid I wouldn't be good enough.

Hi all I'm new to this thread and looking for some advice. I completed my first 5K a few months ago but since then I feel like I have lost all motivation for running.

Just wondering if anybody found the same when they completed the 5K programme?

I am thinking of joining a running club but I am afraid I wouldn't be good enough.

Could you aim to increase to 10 km? Or work on your time?

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    Could you aim to increase to 10 km?

That's what I did when I finished Couch to 5k and had done my first 5k - I entered a 10k that was 8 weeks away and slowly built up to it. For those who are fond of plans, the Hal Higdon Novice 10km plan is a very natural progression for one who has completed Couch to 5k.

Advertisement