Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Hi all I'm new to this thread and looking for some advice. I completed my first 5K a few months ago but since then I feel like I have lost all motivation for running.

Just wondering if anybody found the same when they completed the 5K programme?

I'd imagine that's very common.

Maybe find another 5k to sign up for, start training again and aim to beat your last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jingle Bells 5k in the Phoenix Park in Dublin is a very good one, it's 5 weeks away and has a great spread of cake in the clubhouse afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Hi all I'm new to this thread and looking for some advice. I completed my first 5K a few months ago but since then I feel like I have lost all motivation for running.

Just wondering if anybody found the same when they completed the 5K programme?

I am thinking of joining a running club but I am afraid I wouldn't be good enough.
    I signed up for a 10k run when I was comfortable doing 5k and it's been great for motivation.

Or you could do a Parkrun every now (if there's one in your area) and work on improving your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NewRunnerSD

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try and improve my time at 5K as something to aim to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Okay. I'm injured so a bit dodge for my normal exercise. So this eve I went for a jog and did 2.5 km in just 20 mins. Slow-ish, but something to build on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 NewRunnerSD

Just wondering if anybody joined a running club after completing the C25K and if so how did you find it? was it a massive step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I'm onto Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow, the dreaded 20 minute run. Hopefully it'll go ok, I've roped my bf into coming with me for some moral support!

I'm doing Run in the Dark tomorrow evening - my first 10k. :eek:

I really hope the weather is better than today! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I'm doing Run in the Dark tomorrow evening - my first 10k. :eek:

I really hope the weather is better than today! :pac:

Me too! Well, I'm doing the 5k.

Forecast is cold but dry :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

good luck to ye! :)

• Advertisement

Me too! Well, I'm doing the 5k.

Forecast is cold but dry :)

Good luck!
    Oh cool, best of luck with it!

I hope it's not too cold when we're waiting around at the start but once it stays dry I'll be happy.

See ye in the dark ladies! A stuttery 5 km for me. Sub 44 is the aim. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck to all of ye running tomorrow :)

I considered doing the London one, but the thought of slogging it out to Battersea through the rush hour does not exactly fill me with great joy.

Best of luck to all of ye running tomorrow :)

I considered doing the London one, but the thought of slogging it out to Battersea through the rush hour does not exactly fill me with great joy.

I'm driving in to work and pretty much have to complete the course to get back to my car after work with the road closures. Delighted. Will take it handy with shoulder and first outdoor run in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Hi Ladies,

Follower of this thread but first time posting. I'm also doing the run tonight (10km) but so so nervous.
    I started running just before the summer but I've hardly been out the last couple of months (husband working late and me minding the kids!!)

The 1hr 20min cut off scares me:eek:

Best of Luck to all fellow runners tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm doing the Run in the Dark 10K tonight too.
    I've never done 10K before so I'm a bit nervous.

The route takes in exactly the places I run every week, 3 times a week (and have done since reading this thread almost 2 years ago now!) so that makes it a bit less scary.

Good luck to us all!

quaalude wrote: »
    I'm doing the Run in the Dark 10K tonight too.
    I've never done 10K before so I'm a bit nervous.

The route takes in exactly the places I run every week, 3 times a week (and have done since reading this thread almost 2 years ago now!) so that makes it a bit less scary.

Good luck to us all!
    Good luck tonight! :)

What's the route like then, is it fairly flat?

Good luck tonight! :)

What's the route like then, is it fairly flat?

Yeah, it's fairly flat alright. The bridges add a bit of spice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Started my couch to 5k this week. Second run tonight. Really happy with how it's going. I know it's only run 2 but my attitude/ mental health is a lot more positive than the last few years. It's really significant for me. I used to play a lot of sport but a lot of things happened and I gave it up.

Run/walk in 40 minutes and some skipping after xD. I find i can run for longer than 30 seconds so I've been pushing myself more.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Follower of this thread but first time posting. I'm also doing the run tonight (10km) but so so nervous.
    I started running just before the summer but I've hardly been out the last couple of months (husband working late and me minding the kids!!)

The 1hr 20min cut off scares me:eek:

Best of Luck to all fellow runners tonight!

Did the run last night on a gorgeous clear sky night, I had a 2 layers on but would have been grand in just a t-shirt.
    A nice run-a few bottlenecks and muddy ground which was a bit dangerous but I'm just glad I did it. I finished just under the hour which I'm happy enough with. I might sign up for the Aware run in Pheonix park in December now.

Well done to everyone who did the run!

• Advertisement

Did the run last night on a gorgeous clear sky night, I had a 2 layers on but would have been grand in just a t-shirt.
    A nice run-a few bottlenecks and muddy ground which was a bit dangerous but I'm just glad I did it. I finished just under the hour which I'm happy enough with. I might sign up for the Aware run in Pheonix park in December now.

Well done to everyone who did the run!

Well done.

I'm awaiting official time but my mapmyrun said 39 mins for 5 km so I potentially could have done the 10 km in under the time allocated :P

But disappointed that the goodie bag I got was torn though :( I'll get over it!! #FirstWorldProblems

sullivlo wrote: »
    Well done.

I'm awaiting official time but my mapmyrun said 39 mins for 5 km so I potentially could have done the 10 km in under the time allocated :P

But disappointed that the goodie bag I got was torn though :( I'll get over it!! #FirstWorldProblems

Well done to you too-were you thinking of doing the 10km?

Awe pity about the goodie bag though-just when it's a well done on the race you'd like if that didn't happen. I scoffed my crisps and jaffa cakes on the bus home, I was starving!:p

Well done to you too-were you thinking of doing the 10km?

Awe pity about the goodie bag though-just when it's a well done on the race you'd like if that didn't happen. I scoffed my crisps and jaffa cakes on the bus home, I was starving!:p
    I got home and had my protein milk and jaffa cakes. I wasn't even hungry after it.

I had initially registered for the 10 km but then I broke my foot and was out of action for everything for 4 weeks. Then I hurt my shoulder so running actually hurts :(

I found the results here:
    http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=10310&raceName=Life%20Style%20Sports%20-%20Run%20in%20the%20Dark%20Dublin

I had a blast!, and I did 10K in 58.21, delighted to be under 1 hour!

Well done guys!

It was a great night for it. I was shivering at the start but once I got into it I was glad I didn't wear another layer.

My realistic aim was to get under 65 mins and I was just under 63 mins. :) But I was secretly hoping I'd do under an hour so I'm a tiny bit disappointed. Mainly because the 9k marker was early and I thought I was in with a chance!

I took the day off work today just because I can (have to use up my annual leave). It's a perfect day for a duvet day - I'm still in my PJs, listening to the rain outside! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Just wondering if anybody joined a running club after completing the C25K and if so how did you find it? was it a massive step up?

Some groups split up into beginners and regular runners, just check before you join.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

Woo! Finished my Week 6 today, no more walking for me! ;)
    It was tough but I feel much better about going into the last few weeks knowing that I've already done a 25 minute run!

I've got into a pretty good routine now where if I get home from work at a reasonable time and the weather's not crap, I feel guilty if I don't go for a run. :P

Today was one of those days so I went out this evening and had a really enjoyable run. After about 10 minutes, I got into the 'zone' and it felt like I was running off all my stress and frustrations... which is how I'd always envisioned running but it's taken a long time to get there. That feeling lasted a couple of minutes, then I had to tackle a slight incline and the moment had passed.

Anyway, I ended up running my fastest ever 5k! I'm delighted with myself and now I can laze around all evening guilt free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Suffice to say my morning routine has been shaken up a bit. We got a new dog. She's been out running with me twice now. She's pretty good about keeping pace and sometimes she even gets me to go a little bit faster. :)

That being said, we've only been doing circuits of the local green and haven't actually run my proper route - there are a lot of potential distractions and while she is very good she is also a dog and likes to stop and smell the world every so often.

Anybody else running got a similar running buddy? If so how are you finding it?

• Advertisement

I've got into a pretty good routine now where if I get home from work at a reasonable time and the weather's not crap, I feel guilty if I don't go for a run. :P

Today was one of those days so I went out this evening and had a really enjoyable run. After about 10 minutes, I got into the 'zone' and it felt like I was running off all my stress and frustrations... which is how I'd always envisioned running but it's taken a long time to get there. That feeling lasted a couple of minutes, then I had to tackle a slight incline and the moment had passed.

Anyway, I ended up running my fastest ever 5k! I'm delighted with myself and now I can laze around all evening guilt free. :)

Well done!!
    That post just makes me want to get up and get running right now ( but I'm at my desk at work!!)
    My running has gone from 2-3 times a week to once a week if I'm lucky-my husband works late hours and I'm at home minding the kids after work myself and then weekend there's mothers guilt. But I should really make more of an effort at weekends as there's nothing like coming back from a good run and feeling proud of yourself for just getting out and doing it.
    I'm signing up for the Aware 10km (gulp!) so I really better get out this weekend!

Advertisement