Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Week 3, day 1 complete. I am definitely not a runner! I stiffen up and kind of shuffle along. I know myself I'll loosen out and become more fluid once my body gets used to running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Went out last night for about half an hour. More running than walking but I didn't feel too bad. Think the cold air got to me more than anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I'm back on track! :) I had the flu for two weeks in december and I found it difficult to get back into running after. I was running but I wasn't making progress. Anyway I finished week 3 earlier. Quite happy, both of my 3 minute runs are up the only two big hills on my route. I bought a stopwatch and it's much easier to be disciplined.

And Huzzah, I know how you feel. I'm not particularly tall but all my limbs sometimes feel awkward. Although my neighbour thinks I'm a natural runner :pac:

W3D2 - still as stiff as an old poke, but sure, got the job done!

Tried W3D3 on Thursday but only got halfway through before the snow made me wimp out. Completed it today and treated myself to some yoga after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Be careful when running in snow/icy conditions - no shame in switching to an alternative, better than having a nasty fall. Well done on completing week 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Yeah, you really don't want to end up like this girl! :pac:

^ Disturbingly appropriate username

Rosie 1, Week 4, 0. Feeling quite awesome right now xD. I was quite sceptical of my ability to run for 5 minutes but I did it. And it felt like I breezed through my last run a while ago. I have it in me, I'm just underconfident.

Really looking forward to week 5 now. Still sceptical of my ability to run for 8 minutes. I'm starting to enjoy challenging myself. And on a random note autocorrect changed my sceptical. I've just realised I've been spelling it the american way (skeptical) for years. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

So here I am once again!

Still trying to run the elusive 5k. I can manage 3 km so need to come up with a plan on how to push on. Seems always to be stuck around 3 - 3.5.

Tonight I am going to try run past the darn shop, even for 1 minute more. fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I pushed time rather than distance first - add on what you can bit by bit and you'll get there!

verywell wrote: »
    So here I am once again!

Still trying to run the elusive 5k. I can manage 3 km so need to come up with a plan on how to push on. Seems always to be stuck around 3 - 3.5.

Tonight I am going to try run past the darn shop, even for 1 minute more. fingers crossed!

Slow it right down and you will most likely run further!

For now, worry about either time or distance, but not both. i.e. either run for 30 minutes, or run 4km. But don't worry about how far you get in that 30 minutes, or how long it takes to do that 4km :)

I did hell & back yesterday, 10km of ice cold water and crawling through muck!!! Such fun though.

I'm currently training for a marathon and I feel like I'm in way over my head. I cannot see how I can be marathon ready in less than four months. I've just sent an email off to a running coach. Panic is beginning to set in.

Whoopsy, how far is your longest long run at this point, and what's your weekly mileage like? As long as you build to a longest long run of 30-35km and a peak weekly total of around 60-70km you will be absolutely fine. Pick a good basic first marathon plan and you shouldn't have any problems.

Might be worth reading back over the DCM 2014 novices thread too - Ososlo was a very good mentor.

Thanks RK. I'll definitely read the novices thread. My overall mileage is ok, I had been struggling on my long runs but I've literally just come from meeting my new running coach (yay!) and he thinks I'm just going too fast on my long runs so we're going to slow it riiiiight down and put some speed work in elsewhere and hopefully I'll be all set. Eeeeeeeek. Rather excited right now :D

W4D1 in the bag.

he thinks I'm just going too fast on my long runs
    Everyone does that while training for their first! I slowed right down on the long-long ones, 7 min/km pace or slower. It meant being on my feet for a long time (3 hrs 45 for my longest one) but that brought me closer to what I would finish in for my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I did a slow 2 km this eve. I've been focussing on cycling recently so was surprised that I lasted 2km. The dream of a triathalon by the end of the summer may be alive!

Ran W4D2; bought cake to celebrate :o

sullivlo wrote: »
    I did a slow 2 km this eve. I've been focussing on cycling recently so was surprised that I lasted 2km. The dream of a triathalon by the end of the summer may be alive!

You'll be well capable of it by then! The run in a try-a-tri or super-sprint is not much more than that anyway, you're a relatively strong swimmer and you're doing a lot of bike work.

• Advertisement

You'll be well capable of it by then! The run in a try-a-tri or super-sprint is not much more than that anyway, you're a relatively strong swimmer and you're doing a lot of bike work.

Don't suppose you want a job as my personal motivator? :pac:

sullivlo wrote: »
    Don't suppose you want a job as my personal motivator? :pac:

*waves pompoms* :D

Oh I want to do a tri a tri too! We can push each other Sullivlo! There's one in Greystones that I'm looking towards in August :D I just need to learn how to actually swim more than a couple of a lengths in the pool :P

Greystones in August you say... Curious! I'm aiming for end-of-summer!

Dublin City Tri is around that time too.

Yep I like it because it's only a 200metre swim which would be plenty for my first one!

http://www.kingofgreystones.com/#!the-challenges/c1jxp

Standard sprint distance apart from that - seems like a good way to start if you're nervous about the swim! A lot of try-a-tri events have all the distances cut to match, the super-sprint at the race I did twice last year is a 400m swim, 10km bike and 2.5km run.

(btw, I think switching to training for something like that after you do the marathon is a great idea, keep it fresh :D )

Finished week 5 :D Hard to believe only a few weeks ago I couldn't run for 90 seconds. I constantly surprise myself. Who is this person and what did you do with Rosie!

rosie16 wrote: »
    Finished week 5 :D Hard to believe only a few weeks ago I couldn't run for 90 seconds. I constantly surprise myself. Who is this person and what did you do with Rosie!

Yay, Rosie! I feel the same. Completed week 4 today by running into the bike shop to pick up my bike and cycled home - not very Huzzah-like behaviour!

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yay, Rosie! I feel the same. Completed week 4 today by running into the bike shop to pick up my bike and cycled home - not very Huzzah-like behaviour!

I'm convinced that someone is controlling me when I run. I tend to zone out and try not to think about the huge distance I'm covering. 20 minutes later, I'm like, did this just happen. :p

Advertisement