Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I started the Couch 2 5k this week. Two parts down. Love it! I know it's probably gonna get less enjoyable though :D but I really like the way it's put together. The structure is brilliant for me - I'm more productive with a framework to work off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 stickyfinger

Just finished week 6 of C25K, woohoo!

Feline Groovy - well done! Keep going, I reckon you will enjoy it, I think it's well structured so you feel great as you keep moving on from week to week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I did a ten mile race two weeks ago and just signed up for a half marathon in ten weeks time. How do people find managing their nutrition while training for longer distances? I couldn't balance it properly at all while training for the ten mile, I was frequently knackered and starving and I don't want to repeat that this time around! Generally I try to keep carbs under 40% of my diet and I'm wondering if this is too low when running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Did my first ten mile race today, delighted with my time, I thought I'd be a lot slower than I was! Legs are in bits now though, my feet are just pure pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

W3D1 done! I ended up missing a run of week 2, but I have a mental schedule so I just went straight on to W3. I wasn't sure if I'd be able for it, but I did it - and at an alright pace, I feel. Then I did 5 press ups when I get home and now I can barely move my arms :eek:

I'm a little discouraged that I'm seeing absolutely no changes in my weight or measurements. I'm not being particularly strict with my diet, but it's the same as it has been for the last couple of months. I thought I'd see a bit of a change adding in 3 walk/runs a week, but nothing so far :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've been trying for ages to try and get my fitness up. Did the couch to 5k app, and last summer joined a local fitness group and have stuck with it all through the winter, going jogging twice a week, about 5 km each time. A few months ago I went into Elverys and out of curiosity got my gait measured by a lovely girl in the store. She said that I needed arch support type runners, showed me what to look out for in runners and was very helpful. I didn't buy at the time, I wanted to get a bit longer out of the runners I had and besides runners aren't cheap!
    I went back to Elverys a few weeks ago and got a pair of Asics runners with arch support. Runners feel comfy on but after 20 mins into a run, the insides of my feet start to get blistered and sore. I ran a 5km local run yesterday and my feet were really sore after. Before each run (ok jog!) I have been bandaging my feet trying to reduce friction and I wear cushioned socks. But this isn't really helping.
    I'm really annoyed with myself as I want to try and increase my distance and I feel I can't and I'm also raging that I spent what is a lot of money to me on a pair of runners which are now hurting my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're getting blisters then one of the following is generally true...

- There is a rough spot on the inside of the shoe - have a look, sometimes if there is it can be dealt with
    - The shoe is too narrow for you
    - There is too much arch support (this has happened to me before when I got put in a maximum support Brooks shoe by Runways)
    - You are out by half a size in either direction

You shouldn't need to bandage your feet in correctly fitting shoes. Elverys are very hit and miss in terms of fitting running shoes - they have some staff who know what they are doing and others who don't know their arse from their elbow. Amphibian King are generally a safe bet.

Did Reading half marathon yesterday - training was crap leading up to it, but still really enjoyed the day. 2:01:42 was about as much as I could have hoped for on the day. :)

I'm due to move on to week 4 tomorrow. I'm really intimidated by the idea of going from 9 minutes running to 16 minutes. It's a HUGE jump and my mind is getting the better of me. Do I just... do it?

Faith wrote: »
    Do I just... do it?

Absolutely! :) You'll be fine, trust the programme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm due to move on to week 4 tomorrow. I'm really intimidated by the idea of going from 9 minutes running to 16 minutes. It's a HUGE jump and my mind is getting the better of me. Do I just... do it?

Yep try not to think about the time and just start it...you already know you can do 9 minutes so aim to get that far and a bit beyond. Every time I feel like stopping I tell myself just 30 more seconds, 30 more seconds. Sometimes I get a second wind and sometimes it's just enough to get to the end of the run :D

On Week 7 now and not doing too badly...I could still be lapped by a two-legged dog but hey, I'm out doing my best :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

miamee wrote: »
    Yep try not to think about the time and just start it...you already know you can do 9 minutes so aim to get that far and a bit beyond. Every time I feel like stopping I tell myself just 30 more seconds, 30 more seconds. Sometimes I get a second wind and sometimes it's just enough to get to the end of the run :D

On Week 7 now and not doing too badly...I could still be lapped by a two-legged dog but hey, I'm out doing my best :D

Slow and steady wins the race ;)

I did it, thanks ladies! Actually the running bit was fine. I'm just really struggling with tight calves and if they'd cooperate, I feel I could run much further!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I did it, thanks ladies! Actually the running bit was fine. I'm just really struggling with tight calves and if they'd cooperate, I feel I could run much further!
    Could be worth investing in a foam roller, even a cheap one. I found it really helped with my calves.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Could be worth investing in a foam roller, even a cheap one. I found it really helped with my calves.

Oh thank you, I'll do that!

It's funny, since moving to Canada, my lifestyle has improved a load without me even being aware of it. I've always been a social smoker, but Vancouverites are as disgusted by smoking as they are by someone taking a shîte on the footpath. So I've gone from social smoking of 10/15 a week, to none most weeks and the odd night of 5 or so. I'm also a lot more active in general. I hadn't noticed until I found one of my old posts in this thread from my last attempt at the C25K:
    W4D3 done. Holy fcuk. Thought I was going to vomit after the first 5 minute run ... We finished it, just about, but we're going to have to repeat the week. Our lungs are fcuked - we're both sitting here wheezing and coughing.

It's a nice feeling to know I've come so far!

(Note: I never did repeat the week. I stopped that attempt at the C25K right after that post!)

A rolling pin for calves is even better than foam roller if you have one in the house!

I did 5km Wednesday evening and was pain free so I'm pretty happy that I'm on the way back up! I've just to do 30 minutes every second day for the next week and see how I go but feeling confident again.

Whoopsa, thanks for the rolling pin tip! It has really helped :). Congrats on getting so fit, by the way! I hadn't realized you're running marathons these days :)

Week 4 done! Looking at the whole program, it seems to be one of the hardest weeks. It's a big jump from 9 minutes to 16 minutes running. W5 D1 and D2 look manageable, because they're both 16 minutes. W5D3 is scary though!! But I'm looking forward to hitting the end of W6 and moving from interval running to just increasing time. The breaks are helpful, but I feel like if I just get into the groove of a run, it's easier to keep going than stop-start. Currently I find 3 minute runs are just as hard as 5 minute runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Amica

I've been wanting to get into running for a while. Joined the gym this week! I was gonna do the c25k program but the start was a little too easy (90 seconds running, 90 seconds walking) so I just started jogging to see how far I can comfortably go. The first day I jogged about 17 mins at a speed of 7 km/h, the second day 13 mins @ 8 km/h. I know that's slow but I was happy I could jog for more than 5 mins without collapsing! :D Just gonna build it up slowly. At the mo, I'm running round 2.5km in 20 mins. I hope to be able to run 5 km in about 35 mins by the beginning of June - hope that's realistic! :pac:

Whoopsa, thanks for the rolling pin tip! It has really helped :). Congrats on getting so fit, by the way! I hadn't realized you're running marathons these days :)

Oh I'm not quite running marathons yet :P

I've only got a couple of half marathons under my belt, the goal is a marathon though :)

Amica wrote: »
    I've been wanting to get into running for a while. Joined the gym this week! I was gonna do the c25k program but the start was a little too easy (90 seconds running, 90 seconds walking) so I just started jogging to see how far I can comfortably go. The first day I jogged about 17 mins at a speed of 7 km/h, the second day 13 mins @ 8 km/h. I know that's slow but I was happy I could jog for more than 5 mins without collapsing! :D Just gonna build it up slowly. At the mo, I'm running round 2.5km in 20 mins. I hope to be able to run 5 km in about 35 mins by the beginning of June - hope that's realistic! :pac:

Well done, it's a good feeling to know you'll be able for the programme!

If you're aiming for the 35minute 5km for a particular race or anything like that, be sure to take into account that you will run faster/further on a treadmill so just don't be disappointed if you take to the roads and aren't as comfortable as you thought you might be. It's only an issue really if you're going to do a race though really :)

That makes sense, whoopsadasiydoodles. I don't have a race or anything (yet!) - it's just good to have a goal to keep myself motivated! Would really like to run the Dublin marathon later this year but don't know if I have enough time to train for that and am very worried about injuries. I used to be involved in sprinting but not sure I'm cut out for very long distance. We'll see! Great to have a thread here for motivation and advice! :)

Why don't you aim to complete the four races of the Dublin marathon race series? There's a 5 mile in June, 10k in July, 10 mile in August and half marathon in September. I wouldn't be aiming for a full marathon this year if you have recently started running and especially if you are concerned about injuries, but a half marathon is definitely achievable.

• Advertisement

Why don't you aim to complete the four races of the Dublin marathon race series? There's a 5 mile in June, 10k in July, 10 mile in August and half marathon in September. I wouldn't be aiming for a full marathon this year if you have recently started running and especially if you are concerned about injuries, but a half marathon is definitely achievable.

This is exactly what I did last year, time frame is around the same too :)

I didn't do the 10 mile as I did the warrior's run instead on the same day, I'll do the same this year and then I have the great north run the week before the Dublin half so I won't do that one either. Just the 5 mile and 10km for me this year and the full, hopefully.

Thanks RK. I didn't know there was a race series!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

Great thread! Considering going back to the Couch to 5K myself... Furthest I ever got with it was Week 5 (have tried it a few times) but I couldn't complete the first run of Week 6 on my first try so I gave up.

Have been going jogging a couple of times a week since the start of the year (with a month off at one point though) and have gone from being able to jog for 5 minutes to doing a couple of 17-20 minute runs, which I'm delighted with because running is one of the most forms of exercise I struggle with.

I think I'll try it from Week 6, maybe even repeat it if I have to, and go from there.

Against the very good advice on this thread, I have decided to run the Dublin marathon this year! :pac: I know, I know! I do like a challenge! :pac:

But I need this now. I need to prove something to myself. Anyway, I decided that 2 days ago and today was Day 1 of my training. I ran 2.5km in 20 mins and that was pretty comfortable. That's my starting point. I wanna start easy so as to avoid injuring myelf. I have 6 months til the marathon so my plan is to increase my distance by 1.5 - 2km each week and train three times a week.

I have decided so I'm gonna go all out and do it.

There's nothing quite like taking control and doing something you think is beyond you.

If anybody has any practical tips on avoiding injury, running shoes, bras for marathons or anything else practical, please advise! :)

Keep an eye on the A/R forum logs, the DCM novices thread should start up there within the next month or so. They use the Hal Higdon novice 1 program most years, which builds over 18 weeks from being able to run 15 miles in your first week with a 6 mile long run to a peak week of 40 miles with a 20 mile long run. 18 week programs for DCM start the last week in June - if you cannot complete a 10km run by then and run around 15-20 miles across 4 runs in a week I would STRONGLY advise you to reconsider this plan, as there is an extremely high probability of injury or just putting yourself off running completely and I would not wish that on anyone.

Avoiding injury? Strength work will really help, the stronger your core and posterior chain are the better as you are less likely to get injured on long runs and at higher mileage if your running form is better. Pilates is good for your core, yoga will stretch you out well, and free weights are great for building strength.

Shoes? Incredibly individual thing. If you have something that works well for you, stick with it, otherwise I recommend a trip to Amphibian King or the Run Hub for some advice. The shoes that are ideal for you won't necessarily be the top of the range ones.

Bras? Depends on your size really, I can only advise from the small band/big cup end of things, so if you're smaller than around a DD or closer to the higher end of the band size scale then you may want to ignore my recommendations! I wear the Panache wired sports bra, the Shock Absorber S4490 or D+ Max. The Shock Absorber Run bra is very popular too. What you really want is to avoid chafing, and a bra that works well for a 5-10km run might cause issues on a 25km run - you'll find this out through trial and error.

Wiggle have a decent sale on at the moment, I got a few bits there recently for half price, lovely purple sleeveless running top for £8 :D Worth having a look, with some really good deals particularly if you are on either extreme of the size ranges.

Wow thanks RK. That's a great place to start. Thanks so much for the advice - and for givng me a goal for June!

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What's the story with running bras?!! I went in today to get one. Got measured. Got the right size.. 3 different ones. Couldn't get the 2 straps to meet, on ANY of them! I have a narrow back, with big boobs! It was like trying to join 2 ends of a very very taut bungee cord!! Seriously, you'd want to be a cross between a circus strong man and a contortionist to tie it.

I left with nothing. Should I do a bit of upper body training before trying again?!

Reached 5k today! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Hey everyone!

I'm not going to procrastinate anymore and start C25km.... But I was wondering, what do people do for warm ups before starting? Walk/stretch? I'm a bit new to this and very nervous! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hey everyone!

I'm not going to procrastinate anymore and start C25km.... But I was wondering, what do people do for warm ups before starting? Walk/stretch? I'm a bit new to this and very nervous! :P
    The C25K has a 5 minute walk at the start before you start to run, I find that's enough of a warm up. I only stretch at the end of the run, I'm not "warmed up" enough for stretching at the start!

Advertisement