Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,972 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Has anyone ever bought the Karrimor runners from Sportsdirect? After the mini marathon this year I'm going to try a half marathon. If I have to pay €100+ for a pair of runners I will... But if I could get a good pair in the clearance section for ~€30 that'd be even better!

Are they any good? Or would I be better off sticking to a proper pair of Asics?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Has anyone ever bought the Karrimor runners from Sportsdirect? After the mini marathon this year I'm going to try a half marathon. If I have to pay €100+ for a pair of runners I will... But if I could get a good pair in the clearance section for ~€30 that'd be even better!

Are they any good? Or would I be better off sticking to a proper pair of Asics?

I think your feet are so important you should get whatever it takes particularly if you're going to be doing a half... I'd get a gait analysis done too if you can

Yeah, got it done earlier. They recommended a high arch pair. He showed me 2 pairs of Asics, one just under €100, one just over. I looked up the same pairs on Sportsdirect and they are exactly same price. They have Karrimor ones that were €100+ that are reduced to around €30 ish, with "high arch support" too. I'm just not sure if that's a 'real' clearance price on decent runners, or were they ever worth the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ahhhh okay!
    In that case I don't know sorry :)
    the karrimor training gear i have is definitely decent though

I'd be very wary of buying runners online. You need to try on the shoes before you can really decide if they're right for you - regardless of what they tell you in the shop. You can send them back of course.

I've never worn Karrimor, but Sports World - in heatons - are part of Sports Direct so it might be worth going in to see do they feel right.

Asics are probably the best, but I can't wear them, so they're useless to me! The last time I got a gait analysis done was in Amphibian King, despite me having a neutral gait, I tried on 4 pairs of shoes and only one felt OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They have a reputation on Runners World UK as being of very poor quality. I'd stick to your usual brand.

Real pity these are neutral, because I kinda need them... (Mizuno Wave Rider 18 Osaka)

qwrem3g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Gah, I haven't posted in here in a long-time. I've had a few set backs. Moved out of home for a few months and I've been finding it hard to enjoy urban running. I really don't like the urban environment :P. Miss my quiet country runs and having the roads to myself.

I also was waiting for my feet to heal from blisters but I got fed up and padded them up. So back running again! I've had a few runs that I've really enjoyed, mainly whenever I go home. At least I know I'm still able to run the 5k, it's just my mind is my biggest enemy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I did a nice long (for me!) run today, which was mostly great except it seemed to be the Day of the Midges for some reason... I had to be really careful to keep my mouth shut in certain sections of the park

Off for our first 5k of this year today. Did 3 last week, but think we'll be able for it. It's all in the mind!!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Did it! Struggled near the end... But did it. My daughter has just asked me what place I came!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I've been trying to get back into my running as my cardio fitness had gone way downhill. I've been going on the treadmill as I need to keep my speed down, else I find my legs outpacing my lungs.

Jogging along though, although it's starting to get warm where I am, so need to be out in the early morning if I want to run outside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not doing too badly, did Week 8 Day 1 yesterday and Day 2 today. Trying not to think about how long I've to run and just enjoying it. Working so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yeah, got it done earlier. They recommended a high arch pair. He showed me 2 pairs of Asics, one just under €100, one just over. I looked up the same pairs on Sportsdirect and they are exactly same price. They have Karrimor ones that were €100+ that are reduced to around €30 ish, with "high arch support" too. I'm just not sure if that's a 'real' clearance price on decent runners, or were they ever worth the original price.

I have a few bits and pieces from Karrimor. They are great for the running clothing, bottoms a bit on the small size (or maybe it's just my behind being a bit on the large size!). Runners however I think the sizing are way out. I'm a size 4, I do find that sometimes I need to go up a size in runners anyway but I tried on a 4, literally couldn't get my foot into them, 5 my toes were squashed, 5.5 bit more room but still too small, size 6 room for the toes but my feet were too narrow for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Impromptu 10K on Sunday!! Went to visit the inlaws for the weekend, bro in law says ah I'm doing a 10K on Sunday, we said sure why not!! What else would you be at?! Not prepared or trained for it at all (which I know is bold!). I am working my way towards the mini-marathon for 1hr15mins.
    All seasons on the run, 3-5km I was cooking, 8km to finish got drowned in rain! Did it in 1 hr 13 mins which I am happy with! I walked the two hills (Donegal don't do small hills!) and I stopped at the 5km marker to take off layers. Might revise my mini-marathon aim to 1 hr 10mins.

Just want to shout out that my son did the 10km also - his first one at 10 years of age and came in at 1 hr 8 mins. Super proud mammy here! :D

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    bottoms a bit on the small size (or maybe it's just my behind being a bit on the large size!).

I've noticed that as well - needed running shorts in a hurry last week, so went into Sports Direct, and one of the pairs of Karrimor shorts I saw there was labelled as a size 12 but didn't look any bigger than an 8-10. Ended up going with the safe Nike Tempo option!

Great to hear that your son is getting out and enjoying it - a good time to get them started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

On week 5 of couch to 5k, and surprised to say I'm actually loving it! Never liked running before, but having all the little goals along the way makes it very achievable. I'm excited for the next run.. I can see how people end up addicted!

Have you seen Day 3 yet ;):D

Have you seen Day 3 yet ;):D

I have! Scary stuff. I'll have to make sure I take a slow pace :D

You'll be grand. You'll surprise yourself. It's a great feeling to finish a day, and as you get further into it you do really start to enjoy it. First few weeks are tough. After that it gets much easier.... And more addictive!!!!

Good luck for Day 3. Slow as you can for as long as you can ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This is the first week ever that I feel like a runner! I've started running more times than I can count but never stuck it out as I always felt a bit useless at it and like I could never really do it 'properly'. I always berated myself for walking breaks and for being slow.

So this time round I decided so what if I need to walk sometimes, and who cares how fast I am. I started running alone just with music so I'd have no pressure to keep up with someone else.

Last week I went out to try 7km, my longest ever distance and had planned about 3 or 4 walking stops. Up til then my usual routes were 3-5km and normally at least one walking break. But from the minute I set out I felt great and somehow managed the whole 7km non-stop and didn't even spend the whole distance persuading myself not to stop. It just felt 'right' to keep going! Was so pleased. Took me just over 50 mins so not quick but I'm not worried about that yet. Since then I've done another few 3-5km jogs and all have been non stop so im chuffed!

Really want to push myself to keep this up now, have a 10km ear marked at the end of June and if I could do that non stop itd make my year!

Thanks! I'll report back (when I catch my breath!)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

sillysocks wrote: »
    This is the first week ever that I feel like a runner! I've started running more times than I can count but never stuck it out as I always felt a bit useless at it and like I could never really do it 'properly'. I always berated myself for walking breaks and for being slow.

So this time round I decided so what if I need to walk sometimes, and who cares how fast I am. I started running alone just with music so I'd have no pressure to keep up with someone else.

Last week I went out to try 7km, my longest ever distance and had planned about 3 or 4 walking stops. Up til then my usual routes were 3-5km and normally at least one walking break. But from the minute I set out I felt great and somehow managed the whole 7km non-stop and didn't even spend the whole distance persuading myself not to stop. It just felt 'right' to keep going! Was so pleased. Took me just over 50 mins so not quick but I'm not worried about that yet. Since then I've done another few 3-5km jogs and all have been non stop so im chuffed!

Really want to push myself to keep this up now, have a 10km ear marked at the end of June and if I could do that non stop itd make my year!

Well done sillysocks! I'm delighted for you because I know how good it feels - I ran 2.5k in just under 17 minutes the other night and I felt like I could take on the world haha! I'm on week 3 of the C25K and when it was time to walk I just kept jogging - something just came over me - I ran to my front door and nearly collapsed when I got in the hallway haha but I didn't care because I felt great.
    I haven't been out since as I've been busy but reading your post has me wanting to get out tonight - I can only dream of running for 50 minutes at this stage but I will get there!
    You'll smash that 10k in June no bother to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Hi all, could anyone tell me please if one type of Shock Absorber bra is better than another for running? I'm around a 34B and wouldn't be running more than 10K. Just interested in Shock Absorbers as would prefer to go and try on locally rather than order off the web. Thanks in advance.

I'm up to 22 minutes, woohoo! Very surprised to have reached this stage. Hard to believe 6 weeks ago I was struggling to run 60 seconds! I'm doing the 22 minutes a couple of times before I move on to 25, as I'm almost at 5k anyway. Can't wait to try out a parkrun :)

CeannRua wrote: »
    Hi all, could anyone tell me please if one type of Shock Absorber bra is better than another for running? I'm around a 34B and wouldn't be running more than 10K. Just interested in Shock Absorbers as would prefer to go and try on locally rather than order off the web. Thanks in advance.

The Run bra is great if you're within the size range for it (you are), apart from that the S4490 is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Today was week 1, day 1.

Lasted 17 minutes. And I'm unsure if I'll make it through the evening!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I did Week 1, Day 1 yesterday. :)

It wasn't too bad, suprised myself, I didn't think I could even last 60 seconds running. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Amica

I got to 10K today - the farthest I've ever run as an adult! Only a few weeks ago it was an achievement to run 2.5km in 20 mins and now I'm running for over an hour at a faster pace! 10k meant breaking a psychological barrier...so proud of myself today! And it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm a happy bunny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

So after always saying I would never ever attempt to run a full marathon, I suddenly have it in my head that I want to do one. I've just started a 12 week half marathon training plan (which if completed will be my first ever half marathon), so I'm not sure if the Dublin City marathon in October is a bit ambitious. I guess I'll see how half marathon training goes over the next few weeks!

Advertisement