Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Just did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday and thought I would join this thread to try and keep myself motivated to stick with it. I'm a terrible runner, I really dislike it but would like to try and get past that and not mind it so much. I don't think I will ever be the type of person who loves getting out for a run but so many times my friends etc will be signing up for a 5k charity or fun run and I know there is no way I would ever be able to run for a few minutes let alone complete a 5k.

Got a really bad stitch the minute I started running yesterday like really sore and thought I wouldn't be able to finish all the runs but I stuck with it and ran through the pain and tried to control my breathing better to see if that would help. I actually found by about the 6th 60 second run I was running faster and getting into it more :) Felt good after I had finished it and really want to stick with it to prove to myself that I am capable of running 5k if I just put in the effort

Any tips on dealing with stitches?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Had you eaten before the run? Or drank a lot of water before heading out? That would have given you a stitch if you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

When I get a stitch I slow right down, regulate my breathing as much as possible (big deep breaths rather than short shallow ones) and I stretch as high as I can over my head. Look like a bit of a loon if I do the stretching whilst running, but sure I hardly look normal when running anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

Tried Day 1 of Week 6 of the Couch to 5k there about 3 weeks ago and could only manage 6 minutes of jogging, then a 6 minute walk followed by a 4 minute jog and the walk home. Put me off it for a while and I didn't get out jogging since, but I tried Week 5, Day 1 today thinking I mightn't even manage that but I smashed it. Just need to make sure I go again in a day or 2 now to hopefully get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

oseia wrote: »
    Tried Day 1 of Week 6 of the Couch to 5k there about 3 weeks ago and could only manage 6 minutes of jogging, then a 6 minute walk followed by a 4 minute jog and the walk home. Put me off it for a while and I didn't get out jogging since, but I tried Week 5, Day 1 today thinking I mightn't even manage that but I smashed it. Just need to make sure I go again in a day or 2 now to hopefully get back into it.

If I remember correctly, I found w6D1 the hardest session the first time I did Couch to 5k, so much so that when I did the programme this time around, I skipped it :o

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Had you eaten before the run? Or drank a lot of water before heading out? That would have given you a stitch if you had.

No I wasn't long up out of bed so hadn't eaten or drank anything before the run. Happy to report that Week 1 Day 2 went much better no stitches :) Was tempted to skip day 3 and move on to week 2 because day 2 was quite easy but I think no just stick with the program and don't get ahead of yourself :D

Finished Week 3 of C25K yesterday and really enjoying it I have to say. I do still find it difficult but so far I've been able to do it hopefully next week I will be able for it too :) I find that I have to really push myself mentally and think it's only 3 damn minutes of running you can definitely do this :D small progress but happy with how it is going

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I did Week 9 Day 1 on Monday. I wasn;t sure I was going to make it as I was tuired after work but I did it (slowly). I'm not sure what I'll do when I've completed Week 9 Day 3 - that's it! Time to work on times and getting up to a decent 5k perhaps. I'm still not near 5k with my slow running, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I did Week 9 Day 1 on Monday. I wasn;t sure I was going to make it as I was tuired after work but I did it (slowly). I'm not sure what I'll do when I've completed Week 9 Day 3 - that's it! Time to work on times and getting up to a decent 5k perhaps. I'm still not near 5k with my slow running, lol.

You could follow a plan something like this?:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

I think I did this one:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51096/8K-Novice-Training-Program

I like having the structure of a plan. It motivates me to get out the door.

I think there is something similar on the app I use (RunDouble), I must investigate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

I am currently on week 6. I should be on Day 3 tomorrow but got roped into doing a 5k during the week with colleagues so I will be doing Day 2. I walked in parts and did in just under 35 mins. I was very happy with it as it was a very hot day. I kept getting stitches though. Before they were mainly in my side but now seem to be in the front part of my shoulder (nearly always the right one). I never eat before a run so I am not sure what is causing it. Anyone any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Bumped. Against my better judgement, I signed up for a 10k with my work colleagues. I have 85 days/just over 12 weeks to train for it. I'm using the Ease Into 10k app, which I've completed once before to run the women's mini marathon... that was 4 years ago :( it's a 10 week program, so if I stay disciplined it should be possible. 2 runs down so far.

(I was going to just run 5k but when I looked at the sign up sheet everyone else had signed up for 10k or longer. Fit feckers. Worst case scenario, I drop down to 5k if I can't hack 10!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Best of luck on your jounery Amypl. I'm nearly finished the C25k - week 7 - and working off a Couch-2-10K app also (that's my overall aim). I have registered for a 10k race at the end of this month, but won't be running the entire thing.....

I have been posting on this thread for the past while and have found it very useful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Hope it's OK to revive this thread rather than start a new one?

Just started C25K tonight. I'm not quite as unfit as I expected, managed Week 1 Day 1 okay anyways, better than I would've any time I attempted the program in the past. :)

Anyone inspired to join me? I'm hoping to gain a bit of fitness and lose a few pounds coming into summer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Glad to see this thread bumped!

Well done on starting C25K! I did it a few years ago and am still running a few times a week 5km-10km.

The C25k program is tough, I won't lie. When you read ahead of the plan, it looks so daunting. But take it one run at a time, keep it really slow. It's only after about a month when you look back on your progress that you can see how far you have come.

I would recommend at the end of the C25K program joining your local parkrun. There's a thread in the athletics forum. They are free timed 5km run/jog/walk held every Saturday mornings at 9:30. I find they are a great way to get some exercise in, the people are friendly and it's a good way to monitor your progress when you are new to running.

I'm delighted this thread was bumped too as I need to learn how to run.

I think I can run 5k and will find out tomorrow when I embark on my first parkrun.

I shall report back.

The overall aim is to be able to run 10k by 3rd June.

I haven't run in quite some time now unfortunately but now that the weather is improving and the mornings are brighter, I will hopefully get back to doing it a couple of times a week, at least. There is a parkrun on Saturdays not too far from me so my first aim might be to get to one of these once I've tested how far I've slipped back :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I like the concept of C25K, and tried it a couple of years back. I got to W1 D2 before I gave up. I'm not sure if it was weight or technique, or both, but it was messing up my knees through the impact stresses. I took up cycling instead.

I probably will attempt it again in the future, but my immediate plan is to keep on the bike, and join a gym (next week is the plan) to try and nuke this weight first.

Fair play for getting into it though.

I haven't run in quite some time now unfortunately but now that the weather is improving and the mornings are brighter, I will hopefully get back to doing it a couple of times a week, at least. There is a parkrun on Saturdays not too far from me so my first aim might be to get to one of these once I've tested how far I've slipped back :o

Mornings would be perfect for me. I would love to run to work. It's all downhill!

But I sweat a lot when I run. No problem - there are showers in work! But since I got my hair cut I can't just wash it and throw it in a messy bun because it's too short. So I'd need a hairdryer and straightners in work and effort.

So I cycle to work (don't get sweaty on the downhill journey so no hair malfunctions) and hope that cycling fitness will transfer to run fitness.

I ran a few km on the treadmill a few weeks back. It was fab. But I tried to run home from work the other day and I was in bits after 3km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I also started 2 weeks ago with a group.I've never ran in my life and thought I wouldn't be able for it at all but was pleasantly surprised.I'd expected to feel some way sore or in a little pain but had no reaction which is great but weird imo.

My goal is 5k and no more than that...I worry that being older that I'll do damage to my knees or something but so far so good..we will see.Good luck with it ladies.

• Advertisement

My goal is also 5km and to do a run with other people at that and see how I get on. The next goal might be a faster 5km or to go further, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Whatever you do afterwards, 5km is a good start! Couch to 5k really works and has gotten so many people started, including me 9 years ago.

If you have a local Parkrun, it's a great low pressure way to run with others in an organised way. I do my local one (Highbury Fields) with my 1 year old son in a running buggy every Saturday.

I have my Big Kahuna post baby running goal this weekend - London Marathon :)

Yay! Glad to see activity on this thread again :D

I also am a c25k alum...I was on & off for the latter half of 2015, but got my act together in 2016 and finished the programme. I'm still chipping away with the running a year on and doing the odd few races. If I can't get out to the road, I usually opt for a session on the treadmill.

I read this thread extensively when I was doing the programme and used to post in the C2K thread in the athletics and running forum, which is an equally brilliant resource! There always seems to be someone posting in the A&R thread who is at a different stage of the programme so there's great support there :)

Best of luck and welcome to all the new runners :D

^^Also, best of luck Rainbow Kirby in the 'big one'!! :D:D
    Hope you have a great race

Whatever you do afterwards, 5km is a good start! Couch to 5k really works and has gotten so many people started, including me 9 years ago.

If you have a local Parkrun, it's a great low pressure way to run with others in an organised way. I do my local one (Highbury Fields) with my 1 year old son in a running buggy every Saturday.

I have my Big Kahuna post baby running goal this weekend - London Marathon :)

Best of luck with it - my brother is doing it too, travelling over from Belfast for it.

Must look into the Parkruns!!

Just done W2D1.

I've done the three days of W1, and first day of W2, within four days consecutively. Unfortunately it looks like that's how it's going to have to fit it with my routine - that I'll end up getting 3-4 days in a row to do sessions, then 3-4 days in a row without any (e.g. I'm not sure I'll get another in until Thursday this week.)

I'm just going to have to work around that and see how it goes. I've no specific target date in mind, so if I end up having to skip days or repeat sessions or whatever, that's grand.

There are really good sports bras in Penneys at the moment, by the way! I got a great one for (I think) €9, it makes a massive difference.

For anyone who (like me!) listens to playlists on Spotify etc while running, try searching for Housework playlists rather than Exercise ones ... I find you get more energetic, feel-good tracks rather than dancey gym ones (which personally I hate!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For anyone who (like me!) listens to playlists on Spotify etc while running, try searching for Housework playlists rather than Exercise ones ... I find you get more energetic, feel-good tracks rather than dancey gym ones (which personally I hate!)
    Oh that's great. I finally got sorted with premium spotify last night through my phone contract and am looking for playlists/albums to download to listen to offline while I'm running or driving (phone/spotify connects to car stereo).
    I do like the dancey songs though, late 90's & early 00's dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4:53:09 yesterday. Slowest of my 4 marathons by just over 26 minutes but considering I basically trained for it in 10 weeks and my 1 year old was sick most of last week I couldn't really have expected more.

Support is absolutely amazing - no real quiet bits on the course at all!

• Advertisement

Just ran 3km. Non stop. And I didn't cough up a lung! It was slow but I had more in the tank. Hadn't eaten either. Feeling more confident about the impending triathlon now.

Advertisement