Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Try belly-breathing. Normal rest breathing raises just the top half of your chest and is fairly shallow. Try breathing deep enough that your belly moves out too. That should help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:(W4D2......couldn't keep running at the last hurdle, was almost there and I just had to stop, about 3 minutes into my final run. I was too exhaused. :mad:

I'm disgusted with myself. My cool down walk was replaced at trying to get a cobweb down from the corner of my room. :rolleyes:

I'll try again Friday.....hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't be disgusted with yourself. You still got out, you still tried it, and you got very close to finishing it. You'll nail it next time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Is there any sort of homemade recipe for something like lucozade sport or would it be bad for me to drink those before a run?

I think what happened is that I didn't drink some water before I went out. Halfway though I was getting quite parched, and when I get really thirsty I loose energy! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Completed week 4 on Monday and started wk5d1 today, wasn't too bad, I can slowly see my endurance improving which is great because whilst the jogs are getting longer I am able to run for longer before I get to the point where I feel it's getting too hard but it is not too far from my goal so I push through and complete them.

Really starting to develop a love affair with my jogging gear and my runners :)

• Advertisement

@Squeakyduck: You're probably better off to look at your overall hydration rather than to look at specifically what you are drinking before your run. Make sure you're getting enough water in general. Might be worth having a piece of fruit and some water about half an hour before your run if you feel you need something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

So, after the disaster that was week 7, I finally got out and did W8D1 - 4.1km in 28mins, the longest run of my life so far.

Had to go without music because my ipod died and i'm staying in my parents' house but I actually really enjoyed it. Good to mix up the route a bit too - I was jogging along the coast, so beautiful on a day like today. Now to reward myself with some trashy tv :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there any sort of homemade recipe for something like lucozade sport or would it be bad for me to drink those before a run?

I think what happened is that I didn't drink some water before I went out. Halfway though I was getting quite parched, and when I get really thirsty I loose energy! :rolleyes:

Few sips of water before you go out can help, or a glass of orange juice. You can mix orange juice with water and a tiny bit of sea salt to replicate lucozade sport.

I like to take a piece of chewing gum before I go out and chew it for the first 10 mins or so of my run, keeps the mouth moist etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

I'm so proud of myself! W4D2 completed today but for the last few programmes, instead of finishing after the last 5 min run I decided to keep running just to see how far/long I could go without stopping.

Today, after the last 5 min run, I kept going for another 15mins! Altogether I went 5k in just under 39.5 mins and unbelieveably ran 20mins without stopping! :D I just can't stop grinning. Who'd have thought just 4 weeks ago I couldn't run to save my life and I would have laughed if someone told me to go and run for 20mins!

I am now going out to reward myself with a (hopefully) lovely birthday meal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm obsessed with this whole running thing. I used to watch calories in the gym, see how much I was burning but now when I'm on the treadmill, I'm just watching distance and always trying to beat my last time. It has made it all way more fun. :)

Anyway, I skipped weeks 2 and 3 'cause when I started with 1, I found it really easy so I began Week 4 today. Felt AMAZING. I'm just home and outta the shower now and I'm pretty delighted with myself.

Although have to admit, I find it easier to push myself in the gym than just out on the road 'cause tbh, I'm really self conscious! :o It's getting better though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

w9d1 (omfg week 9 already) , run went great actually until I DID IN MY FCUKING HAMSTRING HALFWAY THROUGH
    and my shin is acting up
    i ran for another 12 mins as it was halfway through and hobbled the last couple min after that
    i think it was 32 min total including a couple walking breaks (but not as much as usual) and rubbing my leg, and hobbling a cool down walk, and that was 4km so it's not too embarrassing a speed

normally i run straight up the stairs for the shower but god i cant move off the couch

W6D1 done. I think. My battery of my iPod died near the end so I just kept running until I reached a certain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

bluewolf wrote: »
    w9d1 (omfg week 9 already) , run went great actually until I DID IN MY FCUKING HAMSTRING HALFWAY THROUGH
    and my shin is acting up
    i ran for another 12 mins as it was halfway through and hobbled the last couple min after that
    i think it was 32 min total including a couple walking breaks (but not as much as usual) and rubbing my leg, and hobbling a cool down walk, and that was 4km so it's not too embarrassing a speed

normally i run straight up the stairs for the shower but god i cant move off the couch

Be careful with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm thing about starting the couch to 5k soon. I've bought new trainers and sports bra... all set... or so I thought! How do you time it (60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds etc). Are there sports watches with timers/alarms or something? Sorry if this has been answered already. I haven't read the whole thread yet.

Podcasts or phone apps are what a lot of people use.

Mood, I just use my phone. I know some of the girls use podcasts and I was looking into it but it seemed like too much hassle so I just listen to my ipod and time the runs/walks with my phone.

I did have to write down the sequence for week 4 on my hand though - very tough to remember!

I'm on W4D2 (cannot believe it) and I am still in shock that I ran a full 5 minutes without collapsing. I couldn't finish the last 5 mins (got to 3.45) but I'm sure I'll get closer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

@Mood

Go for it :)

I felt the same 2 weeks ago you know should I? / I'll start tomorrow etc. and I just finished W2D3 today and I'm so happy. Week 2 done yay! If anyone told me I'd be going running at 8 in the morning on St.Patrick's Day I would have laughed. Halfway through day one I was asking why was I doing it to myself but now it's such a great feeling that I've got going.

I use a couch to 5k app on my phone for timing myself.

Good luck!

Happy St.Patrick's Day everyone!

Just in case it's of use to anyone in planning their racing - RunIreland has a pretty decent list of events on over the next few months. Also check the A/R/T Events forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w2d1 complete :) def tougher than last week but running in the fresh air is a great feeling and such a lovely day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement

I'm trying to create a playlist for when I'm doing the program especially for the later weeks, just wondering what songs others find good for keep them going and also nice wind down songs for the end? I know a few black eyed peas songs have been mentioned and eye of the tiger would love a few more suggestions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

intouch44 wrote: »
    I'm trying to create a playlist for when I'm doing the program especially for the later weeks, just wondering what songs others find good for keep them going and also nice wind down songs for the end? I know a few black eyed peas songs have been mentioned and eye of the tiger would love a few more suggestions.....

I find Cheryl Coles 'Fight for this love' quite motivational---tho i am kinda obsessed with her so that may not be for everyone! :o

Britney for music - she's a legend. Love Toxic.

I was hoping to do my W4D2 today but can barely walk - I've developed an agonising pain on and off in the inside of my knee! Don't know where it came from - I haven't had any fall or anything! Hope it goes away by tomorrow.

I have to say maybe I'm not stretching properly or something - I'm finding my knee is very bad and in general I'm a bit shaky - like my achilles heels are both very tight and I find it hard to walk on them. Anyone have any good stretches or any experience with this? I'm hobbling around like an oul wan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Kimia wrote: »
    I was hoping to do my W4D2 today but can barely walk - I've developed an agonising pain on and off in the inside of my knee! Don't know where it came from - I haven't had any fall or anything! Hope it goes away by tomorrow.Anyone have any good stretches or any experience with this?
    That sounds kind of like what happened to me.Was trucking along without a care in the world until the start of week 4 and then really suddenly my knees were unbelievable sore. Turns out I wasn't wearing the right shoes for my running style. It came on very suddenly and at one stage was so bad that even walking was sore. Had to rest from running for a week and a half and started back up again this week with new shoes and knees are grand. Maybe look up the symptoms of anterior knee pain and see if it sounds like what you're experiencing? Best of luck!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W3D3 was a little difficult yesterday. Probably didn't warm up properly or went a little too fast.

intouch44, some tune related suggestions around post #329 on this thread and here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    That sounds kind of like what happened to me.Was trucking along without a care in the world until the start of week 4 and then really suddenly my knees were unbelievable sore. Turns out I wasn't wearing the right shoes for my running style. It came on very suddenly and at one stage was so bad that even walking was sore. Had to rest from running for a week and a half and started back up again this week with new shoes and knees are grand. Maybe look up the symptoms of anterior knee pain and see if it sounds like what you're experiencing? Best of luck!:)

How did you find out it was your trainer that causes the problem? I just bought new ones. I hope they are ok.

I too am wearing relatively new ones (I bought them a month before starting the program) so I don't think it's the shoes. It's probably either my gait as I run (sometimes I feel I'm a bit 'off') and I bet I'm not stretching properly either. Usually when I get home I'm so glad to be stopped, catching my breath that I barely remember to stretch tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

mood wrote: »
    How did you find out it was your trainer that causes the problem? I just bought new ones. I hope they are ok.
    I have a friend who's a physio and she knew what it was instantly. Also went to a sport's shop to have a chat with them and they recommended the new shoes. I'm sure you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

intouch44 wrote: »

These some of my songs that keep me going:

Candy - Aggro Santos
    Just Can't Get Enough - Depeche Mode
    Pyromania - Cascada
    Evacuate the Dancefloor - Cascada
    Right Now - Akon
    Dangerous - Akon
    All Night Long - Alexandra Burke
    Broken Heels - Alexandra Burke
    Left Outside Alone - Anastacia
    Meet Me Halfway - Black Eyed Peas
    Dance Wiv Me - Calvin Harris
    You've Got The Love - Florence and the Machine
    Get on the Dancefloor - The Creeps
    Untouchable - Girls Aloud
    Love Profusion - Madonna
    Beat It - Michael Jackson
    Somebody's Watching Me - Michael Jackson
    Bad - Michael Jackson
    Hella Good - No Doubt
    Fire With Fire - Scissor Sisters
    If We Ever Meet Again - Timbaland
    Yeah - Usher
    Holding Out For A Hero - Jennifer Saunders
    Don't Stop Believing Glee Version
    Stronger - Kayne West
    Commander - Kelly Rowland
    All The Right Moves - One Republic
    Choices - The Hoosiers
    New Attitude - Patti LaBelle
    Imma Be - Black Eyed Peas
    Just Shoot Me - Lady GaGa
    Fu***in Perfect - Pink
    Higher - Taio Cruz

:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the brilliant list Victoria :)

W2D2 done- feel brilliant after it, legs were a little sore during warm up walk but felt surprisingly good during the runs. Changed venue today to local football pitch, found it easier to visualise when each run would be finished which kept me going! Great day to be out running!

I've posted this in the other Couch 2 5k thread but haven't had any replies yet so will try it here, can anybody help me make my own podcast, I've followed this link http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp...-lame-encoder/ and downloaded audacity and the lame encoder. I'm a bit confused by the whole thing though, I've moved songs from itunes to audacity to a folder on my laptop but windows media player won't play the mp3 version for some reason. Any tips/advise or have I done the whole thing completely wrong? Thanks in advance!! :)

Advertisement