Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Just done w5d2 thought the 8mins would kill me but was pleasantly surprised when my legs felt like I could run forever.
    Rocky has nothing on me !! Bring on the 20 min run on Sunday.
    Oh and just signed up for the Ray Darcy 5k race in Mullingar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just done w5d2 thought the 8mins would kill me but was pleasantly surprised when my legs felt like I could run forever.
    Rocky has nothing on me !! Bring on the 20 min run on Sunday.
    Such a good feeling :D

Physio visit didn't go too well today - another 10 days off the road which means I'm out of the 5k this weekend and a 10 mile race I was supposed to do the week after. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Anyone have any tips for breathing? I always feel like dying at the end of my runs, and I think I'm breathing wrong. I can feel myself starting to pant and then I have to stop!

Ps sorry to hear that RK! But the most important thing is looking after yourself and making sure you're healed before running again and potentially making things worse. Feel better.

Try and keep your breathing as controlled as you can, and try and relax. If you tense up and/or overthink it, that's when the problems start happening. Also, slow down if you feel you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Kimia wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for breathing? I always feel like dying at the end of my runs, and I think I'm breathing wrong. I can feel myself starting to pant and then I have to stop!
    I find it helps that every time your foot hits the ground I puff out some air. With this "technique" I find that getting to my last run or so that I'm really panting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kimia wrote: »

Ps sorry to hear that RK! But the most important thing is looking after yourself and making sure you're healed before running again and potentially making things worse. Feel better.

I make sure to breathe as low into my ribs/tummy as I can from the start to get into the rhythm of it
    I probably sound like a mad one puffing when I run :pac:

this might also help
    http://www.essortment.com/running-tips-breathe-properly-48595.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Did w3d3 today.The first 3 minute run was actually quite tough until I realised that I was running way too fast. (the music I was listening to was quite fast too). Took the second one a lot handier and it was grand. Even managed another 3 minute jog at the end because I felt like I could do more. Bring on week 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think I may have to extend week 4 to maybe 5 days instead of 3, I'm finding it difficult to finish. Now that could be because of my route, the last 5 minutes are up a horrific hill so tomorrow I'm going to change the route to be more level and see if I can finish it. Fingers crossed!

Oh and I took yer advice on breathing and it worked - I think I just need to practice. The only way I got through the last 5 minutes (well I could only do 4) was my breathing in a big deep breath and whooshing the air out, lots of puffing - I must have looked crazed! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Those are great tips on breathing - I still really find this a problem!! I either find myself start to pant, or not breathe enough at all. And of course I only really start thinking about it once I start jogging!!

Just finished week 7 the other day, and I just got in from what would have been week 8 day 1 (blasted phone died and erased everything, so I need to re-download the C25K app!). Aside from the warm up and warm down (5 minutes at each end) I am doing about 4km exactly now over 25 minutes - so I now need to build it up to 5km over 30 minutes.

My immediate goals after that:
    - keep at that distance of running and increase my running to 6 days a week (currently 3-4);
    - improve my mental toughness - not sure about others but somethings I feel a bit anxious when I run (ie that I'm not doing well enough), especially if I have someone else with me. :o Which is quite strange because I'm VERY confident in every other part of my life!!
    - improve my breathing so that I could actually have my husband or a friend come jogging with me for 5k over 30minutes - right now I get all panty and bit stressed out if I have to jog and talk at the same time! :rolleyes:

So once I have that distance down and feel properly like "yeah, I can really do this!!" .... then I'd like to do bridge to 10k! :pac:

Just a few words about your first race - I know there's a few of you doing the MSB 5k tomorrow.

- First off, enjoy it! You only get one first race, and this is a nice one.
    - Give yourself plenty of time to get there, particularly with the race being on a Sunday and buses being crap because of that. Try and get there for about 11am (for a midday race) to make sure you have time to get your number and goody bag and drop your bag without rushing. If you have extra time, use it for a little warm-up walk/jog and a few stretches.
    - Lay out your gear tonight so that you're not scrambling in the morning for gear.
    - Don't wear anything new on the day - you don't want to discover in the middle of a race that your shorts ride up excessively (personal experience :mad: ) or something rubs in a way that it's not supposed to.
    - Line up in the right place - slower runners are best going towards the back, but in front of walkers. Don't be afraid to ask others around you what their planned time for the races is and use this to find the right starting spot for you.
    - I would advise you not to use an MP3 player when racing - some races ban them outright so it's best to get used to racing without one. Better to have full awareness of what's around you for safety reasons anyway.
    - Push yourself hard - the adrenaline that the race environment will give you will really help!

Best of luck, and I hope to see any of you who are racing tomorrow happy with how you got on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am seriously slacking on this, 'cause I go to the gym most days and I dunno, I do 4k every session but not while listening to the podcast and then I'm too tired/busy to go out for the run. I only did 2 days of it this week, but because the weather is so nice and because I always feel so great after, I am pledging to do more. Even if it means replacing 1 gym session a week. So on Monday evening, I WILL be out. And I WILL report back. Good. Now I'll feel guilty if I don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W9D1 today. Bit behind schedule as had a busy week. Felt good and did some uphill during it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Just a few words about your first race - I know there's a few of you doing the MSB 5k tomorrow.

- First off, enjoy it! You only get one first race, and this is a nice one.
    - Give yourself plenty of time to get there, particularly with the race being on a Sunday and buses being crap because of that. Try and get there for about 11am (for a midday race) to make sure you have time to get your number and goody bag and drop your bag without rushing. If you have extra time, use it for a little warm-up walk/jog and a few stretches.
    - Lay out your gear tonight so that you're not scrambling in the morning for gear.
    - Don't wear anything new on the day - you don't want to discover in the middle of a race that your shorts ride up excessively (personal experience :mad: ) or something rubs in a way that it's not supposed to.
    - Line up in the right place - slower runners are best going towards the back, but in front of walkers. Don't be afraid to ask others around you what their planned time for the races is and use this to find the right starting spot for you.
    - I would advise you not to use an MP3 player when racing - some races ban them outright so it's best to get used to racing without one. Better to have full awareness of what's around you for safety reasons anyway.
    - Push yourself hard - the adrenaline that the race environment will give you will really help!

Best of luck, and I hope to see any of you who are racing tomorrow happy with how you got on! :D

Thanks for all the advice! :D

About the new gear. I'm a wee bit worried now because I made the trek out to Bray today to get shiny new runners in Amphibian King, and I reeeeeally want to use them tomorrow because they are SO much comfier than the ones I was using. But the guy in the shop did tell me it would be a bad idea to use them in the race without breaking them in. So now I don't know what to do! :o The ones I've used so far really do scrunch up my toes lots, and give me loads of blisters. I'd be much happier to run in the new ones, even though I haven't run in them yet (walked lots and lots in them today though and they're super-comfy!) Any advice?

Also, when I read up about races, I keep reading up about bag drops. I'm confused! Stupid question, but am I meant to be bringing stuff with me? Because I don't know what I should be bringing. :o

Thanks!!!

redz11 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! :D

About the new gear. I'm a wee bit worried now because I made the trek out to Bray today to get shiny new runners in Amphibian King, and I reeeeeally want to use them tomorrow because they are SO much comfier than the ones I was using. But the guy in the shop did tell me it would be a bad idea to use them in the race without breaking them in. So now I don't know what to do! :o The ones I've used so far really do scrunch up my toes lots, and give me loads of blisters. I'd be much happier to run in the new ones, even though I haven't run in them yet (walked lots and lots in them today though and they're super-comfy!) Any advice?

Also, when I read up about races, I keep reading up about bag drops. I'm confused! Stupid question, but am I meant to be bringing stuff with me? Because I don't know what I should be bringing. :o

Thanks!!!

keys wallet mobile etc
    I think we get that goody bag thing too
    I may also bring a handtowel :pac:

Walk around in them in the house this evening - it will help to continue getting used to them. If you're blistering from your old ones, I'd definitely wear the new ones for the race.
    You'll probably have an extra layer of clothing that you'll be wearing until not long before the race start (jacket/hoodie/tracksuit bottoms etc), also your wallet, keys and phone. That's most likely what you'll be able to leave in a bag at the bag drop.

Walk around in them in the house this evening - it will help to continue getting used to them. If you're blistering from your old ones, I'd definitely wear the new ones for the race.

You'll probably have an extra layer of clothing that you'll be wearing until not long before the race start (jacket/hoodie/tracksuit bottoms etc), also your wallet, keys and phone. That's most likely what you'll be able to leave in a bag at the bag drop.

I'm running in tracksuit bottoms ;s

That was more directed at people who are running in shorts or capris! If I was running tomorrow, I'd be in shorts for the race, and I wouldn't particularly want to have some little skanger on the 49 making sarky comments about my milkbottle-white legs :pac:

That was more directed at people who are running in shorts or capris! If I was running tomorrow, I'd be in shorts for the race, and I wouldn't particularly want to have some little skanger on the 49 making sarky comments about my milkbottle-white legs :pac:

Oh I gotcha.
    Bit slow !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hope the weather improves by the morning :(

elsy wrote: »
    Hope the weather improves by the morning :(
    Tomorrow, Sunday, will be mostly dry with good bright or sunny intervals and just the occasional shower. It'll become increasingly mild as maximum temperatures reach 12 to 14 degrees. Southwesterly winds will be moderate in strength.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Best of luck to everyone running in the morn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hey girls well finished the race in 39 mins and ran it non stop from start to finish Im feeling pretty dam good right now :):)

I had to walk loads but I did it sub-40 yay!! i think it was 38-39 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

bluewolf wrote: »
    I had to walk loads but I did it sub-40 yay!! i think it was 38-39 !

Good on you bluewolf, did it too but I dunno what happened me my lungs burned all the way, I had to walk loads so not happy with myself....

Ramette wrote: »
    Good on you bluewolf, did it too but I dunno what happened me my lungs burned all the way, I had to walk loads so not happy with myself....

Dont be daft I had to walk loads too :)
    I managed to get serious shin pains for a good while, I'm going to have to work on stretching them better from now on.
    We did it!

My first 5k ! :D

bluewolf wrote: »

p.s. this one looks lovely, end of april, anyone else up for it? im going to register soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Great thread everybody! Just started my own couch to 5K this week. My first week of running since the physio gave my dodgy ankle to OK for running again. I have never had such heavy legs as I did on Thursday or Friday. Was delighted that today's run seems to be the start of getting fitness back.

So no real contribution to make other than a "well done everybody!". The mind is the hardest battle to win when getting fit again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I was inspired by this thread to start the couch to 5k today - W1D1 done... yay! And what a lovely day to start. :)

I was doing a bit of jogging in the evenings in Jan/early Feb but didn't keep it up. I'm hoping that the structure of C25k will keep me motivated. I downloaded the podcasts and am raring to go!

Congrats to the people who did their first 5k after following this programme. It's a great achievement. Hopefully that will be me 9 weeks down the line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Managed to run the whole lot, my time was 35:16, I was hoping to do it a bit quicker but it was soooo hot! Still though, I now have a time to aim to beat in the next one. :)

Mad really to think that, just 2.5 months ago, when I started C25K, I literally couldn't run sixty seconds without getting completely out of breath, and I was getting constant pains in my hips and knees for those first few weeks! Sooo worth it though. :) Delighted I've actually stuck at it this far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles
    W4D1: 22mins - 1.65miles
    W4D2: 22mins - 1.66miles

I finally got around to completing day two yesterday. Hoping to do day 3 of it today. I have no excuse not to really so if I don't post my time up give out to me!

Congrats to everyone on the 5k. My 1st race was a 10k and it felt so amazing to cross the line. Almost felt like crying. Once I get back to running 5k non-stop again I'll be signing up for races. There's loads on here so should keep me motivated.

Advertisement