Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Wk1D2 DONE! I'm probably going to do Wk1 twice, I can't quite finish all the runs, but I am still enjoying it. Roll on Friday for the last run of the week! My bf just told how impressed he is with me, and my running has encouraged him to go out for a cycle later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Today (w4d2) was not great. Day 1 had been so good but today I just couldn't work up enough energy to finish the second 5min run. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle wrote: »
    I posted here ages ago about wanting to get back into this program and I think I'll start from scratch this week! I have a few questions, though...

I got about halfway through the program last year when I had to stop for a few medical reasons. Everything's cleared up now, except I now have asthma! Sometimes it's really difficult to walk and talk at the same time, I get all out of breath :( I'm wondering if I'll be able to get past the first few weeks without much hassle, like I did before? Or am I setting myself up for failure?

If any asthmatics are doing this program too and can fill me in on their perspective, I'd love to hear it :)

*digs out running shoes*

Quick follow-up; I bit the bullet and started W1D1 today; deep breathing and running slowly whenever my chest tightened up seemed to work :)

About halfway through I was getting really unmotivated and wondering if I could finish, and then the Rocky theme came up on the playlist! So I kept going and managed it all fine :pac: Bought an armband to hold my mp3 player too, should help a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff - it's useful to carry your inhaler (assuming you've got one) too in case something does happen. Have seen a pro triathlete at the Olympics jamming an inhaler between her boobs on the transition from bike to run...

The inhalor I have isn't fast-acting; it's designed to keep me going for a whole day, unlike the normal Ventolin which has an effect immediately. I run very close to home anyway, and use the C25K app on my phone, so if I ever did get into trouble I can go home or call someone to pick me up :)

My best friend is running to Flora mini marathon; I won't be in the country for it so I can't join her but her dedication has really inspired me! I'll be trying really hard to stick to it, and I'm sure I can come here for a kick up the you-know-what if needed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:D:D RK I skipped the jinx that was my W4D2 and went on to D3...successfully finished it! Second run was hard, I got stitches on both sides! :rolleyes: But I DID IT! I feel so proud...was dancing in the shower.

:( My runner seems to be grating against my the side of my sole just under my ankle. I'm wondering would that be because of my socks? Other than that my runners are epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good stuff - it's useful to carry your inhaler (assuming you've got one) too in case something does happen. Have seen a pro triathlete at the Olympics jamming an inhaler between her boobs on the transition from bike to run...

Urge to comment :pac:

Well done everyone you're doing super and you'll get there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

W5D3-equally rubbish! oh well. just not in the right frame of mind this week. heading to the uk for the weekend tomorrow morning, so gonna chill out for the few days, make a new playlist when i come home sunday, and head out mon morning to kick week 5's ASS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles
    W4D1: 22mins - 1.65miles
    W4D2: 22mins - 1.66miles
    W4D3: 22mins - 1.66miles

So tired!

Not sure how I'll get on with week 5. Heading home for a couple of weeks so I'll be without my treadmill. Hope it's not too hard.

I'm sick today, so it's unlikely I'll be able to do w4d3 tomorrow. Hilariously, my first thought when I realised I was getting sick was "oh no!!My c25k training!!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I now have asthma! Sometimes it's really difficult to walk and talk at the same time, I get all out of breath :( I'm wondering if I'll be able to get past the first few weeks without much hassle, like I did before? Or am I setting myself up for failure?

In my experience exercise is of huge benefit for asthma sufferers.
    Take it easy to begin with so that you don't suffer any attacks.
    As you get fitter & your body gets used to regular exercise, the risk of an attack will reduce greatly.

By the way, this woman also has Asthma.

paula-radcliffe280x390.jpg

She also just happens to hold the womens world record for the Marathon! ;)

Fair play to all the Boardsies who are doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I finished week 1! I'm so proud of myself! Roll on week 2 :D

Does the music on the Robert Ullrey podcasts get any better? I'm so sick of the awful music

clicli wrote: »
    I finished week 1! I'm so proud of myself! Roll on week 2 :D

Does the music on the Robert Ullrey podcasts get any better? I'm so sick of the awful music
    try Carli at runningintoshape.com's podcasts. Kind of hip-hop and pop mostly, she has optional rock podcasts too when you get to later weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w3d1 done- 1st 3 min run was a KILLER! so proud of myself for not stopping!!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Well this is my second go at Week One! I started back in January but have been plagued with chest infections and head colds so I stopped, and then eventually lost motivation to pick it back up. Until now!

So, Week 1 Day 2 down and I'm feeling good. I started ballet on Wednesday so my calves were a bit sore, but apart from that all good. Can't wait to finally start Week 2.

I'm doing the NHS program but may switch if the music doesn't improve!

Well done everyone who's on their way. We'll be so fit at the end of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Hey saw this today. Music mix for the mini marathon training. Might be of use to some of ye lovely ladies. It's by Jenny Greene from 2fm

http://soundcloud.com/jennygreene/01-mini-marathon-mini-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fjennygreene%2F01-mini-marathon-mini-mix

W5D1 completed.

My app decided not to calculate how far i'd run so I had to work it out on google earth! 5.37k in 33.04 :) 'm pretty pleased I really went hell for leather tonight :)

W1D2 complete :) It was easier than day one, mainly because it's colder today and I wasn't quite as hot this time!

Nice video I thought I'd share with all of you. I love how everyone runs for different reasons. Personally, I run for the solitude and to see how far I can push myself. The fitness and weight loss is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

bigtuna wrote: »
    Hey saw this today. Music mix for the mini marathon training. Might be of use to some of ye lovely ladies. It's by Jenny Greene from 2fm

http://soundcloud.com/jennygreene/01-mini-marathon-mini-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fjennygreene%2F01-mini-marathon-mini-mix
    Loving it I have to say, good mix of upbeat songs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Completed W5D2 yesterday. Not too bad.

Was watching a thing on Discovery the other evening about some Olympian, James Cracknell, who was doing the Marathon des Sables. I didn't watch all of it, but I had no idea such a race existed. blink.gif

Completed W5D2 yesterday. Not too bad.

Was watching a thing on Discovery the other evening about some Olympian, James Cracknell, who was doing the Marathon des Sables. I didn't watch all of it, but I had no idea such a race existed. blink.gif

I saw that too :eek:

Back from W5D2.....I ran 4.09km according to my buddy runner app and 4.59k according to google earth (in 31.56) Which should I believe? I ran the exact same course as I did yesterday and added a little bit to it. I must have slowed myself down a little with the two 8 minute runs. I felt like my legs were going to fall off, thank god they didn't I would have been in a right mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Going to try push past 5k tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to do 6k, but I'm gonna say if I do 5.5k I'll be fine with that. Apparently I always set goals too high for myself, so I'm not gonna make this too hard! Will report back after. :)

Week 1 done and dusted :) Bought some new running gear over the weekend so I'm fairly dedicated to it now!

Oh, and stopping to play with a puppy for a bit doesn't count as cheating, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh, and stopping to play with a puppy for a bit doesn't count as cheating, right? :pac:

I spent about a minute of my cool down walk last week playing with kitties :o They're just so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w3d2 done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

W6D1 done and still loving it - longest time I've stuck to any kind of fitness programme ever! Hoping to get gait analysis done at the weekend so I can invest in a proper pair of runners - there'll be no stopping me then :D

b210k w1d1 stinks and and it just stinks :mad:
    I cant run anymore or something :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Physio said I can start running again this week *\o/*

(only 3-6km at a time this week, but still...)

Advertisement