Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Physio said I can start running again this week *\o/*

(only 3-6km at a time this week, but still...)

Dont go nuts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Week 5 Day 1 done! \o/ yay!!

I don't get you girls saying ye're on week five but you've done 5k in 33 mins - what do you mean? I thought week 5 was 5 mins running, 3 mins walking, 5 mins running etc.. How are you running 5k already in 33 mins?? :confused::confused:

Kimia wrote: »
    Week 5 Day 1 done! \o/ yay!!

I don't get you girls saying ye're on week five but you've done 5k in 33 mins - what do you mean? I thought week 5 was 5 mins running, 3 mins walking, 5 mins running etc.. How are you running 5k already in 33 mins?? :confused::confused:

You're in for a shock on week 5 day 2 :pac:
    It changes each day
    day 3 of it is 20 mins running
    though how they're jumping to 33 I duno, overachievers :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm useless at remembering to take water on board afterwards. As the runs get longer I've noticed that I'm not paying a lot of attention to the legs moving, my head's usually yapping on about films or some such. I think half the village was out tonight and on another evening, I almost ran into someone stumbling out of a field, bottle of whateveryou'rehavingyourself in one hand, of course.

If you had asked me a few weeks back if I would have been up for this I would have said not a feckin' chance. W5D3 completed this evening, felt amazing.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just in case it suits anyone, there's a 5k on in UCD on the 16th of April (Rás UCD).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Ladies, I've been lurking here for some time now...but I believe its finally time I joined in. you see I think I've caught the c25k bug;) ..I joined gym 5 weeks ago... quit smoking 3 weeks ago (YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY :D:D:D:D:D:D) and started c25k 2 weeks ago...I'm not timing myself, I'm not logging distance...I'm just well...moving...I still in shock actually that I'm able to walk/wheeze/jog (kind of) for even a minute... But its time to step it up....Heres the thing though, I'm holding back, and I'm not sure why?! Does that make any sense? At the beginning I made a deliberate decision to curb my enthusiasm a little bit, because I know myself...and I know that I have a tendency to go hell for leather into things...and then stop......... I'm still walking through 4 of the 'runs' in week 1 and when I do run it feels good (ish).But as soon as I feel the stitch in the side I can feel myself pulling back... I'm not sure if its fear of failure... falling over, or of a coughing attack (as any ex smokers will know about). Fear of injury...or just plain laziness?!?!?!? 30 plus pounds overweight also, so maybe this is holding me back? The funny thing is, I feel light as a feather when I am moving on the treadmill.... Ah look, I'll just keep moving, as hopefully once my lungs recover from the nasty, I'll gradually be able to move through the weeks.....Heres to 5k ....p.s Got some nice gear in lidl today (not runners though-am saving up for the good ones :D:D:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Anyone out there that could help me? I appear to have "jarred" my knee. When I say jarrred, it feels like I need to "crack" my knee, it's uncomfortable and when I cross and sometimes uncross my legs I have to do it slowly as it really hurts. The last time I had something like this my doctor said that my knee was "jarred" and to leave it heal?

I don't want to stop running again! :eek:

Anyone out there that could help me? I appear to have "jarred" my knee. When I say jarrred, it feels like I need to "crack" my knee, it's uncomfortable and when I cross and sometimes uncross my legs I have to do it slowly as it really hurts. The last time I had something like this my doctor said that my knee was "jarred" and to leave it heal?

I don't want to stop running again! :eek:

Get it checked out if it's becoming a problem (physios tend to have a better understanding of runners and their needs than GPs in my experience) - we can't give medical advice on here.

I'll see if can sort something out. I might go for a run tomorrow anyway. I don't want to stop running, I get too lazy to quickly!

I'll see if can sort something out. I might go for a run tomorrow anyway. I don't want to stop running, I get too lazy to quickly!

Dont or youll end up like kirby

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dont or youll end up like kirby

Am I being used as a warning now? :eek:

(pro tip: running 30km further after you do yourself some mischief usually doesn't end well)

Am I being used as a warning now? :eek:

(pro tip: running 30km further after you do yourself some mischief usually doesn't end well)

Yes
    *turns off lights, sits shining torch into my face*

Gather round and I shall tell ye all the horrible scary tale of... dun dun dun... KIRBY!!! :eek:

I'll see how it is tomorrow. I just know that from the Paddys weekend it took me nearly a week to get into the swing of things. I don't want to stop running. Might get a support bandage for it, that's what I was given the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

No offence, but if you go on running through acute pain, you may be spending MUCH MUCH longer not running than a day or 2. It only takes one second for it all to go wrong. Kirby can attest to that on my part - was off from last jan - jun running at all due to achilles and it was literally a second where it all went wrong (i had been running on a little niggle like yerself).

Do not pull a kirby (or metamorphosis i suppose!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ohhhh and i should add i know how addictive this malarky is so maybe cycle instead or brisk or hill walk or youtube bodyweight exercises. Lots you can do. Go to a PAYG class in a gym?? Plenty of cross training options

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Haven't logged on in a bit, just completed w7d2 today.
    Done w6d2 on the 23rd, w6d3 on the 25th, and w7d1 on the 27th.

Can't believe I am nearing the end of this journey. Really didn't think I would keep it up, I had tried it before but after a week and a half I gave up.

I suppose the difference between then and now is my determination to succeed at it. Still can't believe I have come this far and am taking part in my first 5k race next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My EI10k app added 2km to my run last night :confused: I got all excited for about 30 seconds until I realised I'd run more or less the same route over the weekend and it definitely wasn't that long!

EI10k Week 5 should be finished this week- 1 more run to go. Only 5 more weeks in the program, hopefully will have it all done before June 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Just a word of encouragement for everyone - keep at the C25K! I finished the program a couple of weekends ago and I feel brilliant. :)

Am now running 30mins 5-6 days a week.... will keep at this pace until I feel completely comfortable with it (still very much feels like an effort each morning!)... then on to longer distances! I started C25k just after Christmas and stuck at it (albeit with a few weeks' holiday in NZ in February that were a hiccup in training!). Every week, some runs were easy, some were fun and some were bloody hard work. I truly was the "couch" in C25k as I was huffing, wheezing, bright red and pouring with sweat after W1D1 - hubby wondered what on earth I had been doing!!

Anyway - the point of this post is to encourage others to keep at it and finish the program! If my flabby a$$ can do it, then so can you! Getting into running like this has made me happier and saner - even though I became unemployed in the middle of doing it. :) So in other words - if you just got home from work and are feeling like saying "ahhh feck it" to your run today -put on your trainers and get out there!! You'll feel a million times better if you do. :pac:

Getting into running like this has made me happier and saner
    One of the best benefits of all of this, and one I totally wasn't expecting when I started running. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

:mad:

tried w5d3 again. can't keep going. am SO MAD at myself, i know full well its all in my head. i start thinking about not being able to finish the 20 minutes and then i stop running before even three minutes have passed! today i kept pausing the podcast when i took a break so i did run the 20 mins, but not straight through, ended up taking about 10 mins of breaks overall. really disappointed, its not my legs or my lungs that are letting me down, its my stupid mind!
    going to move on to week 6 on thursday anyway, feel like i need a change from week 5 and switching back to interval running might focus me better. the worst thing about all this is i'm not getting the high i was getting after all my runs on all the previous weeks, i'm just all pissed off that i didn't finish it, even though i'm running further and longer than all the other weeks!

• Advertisement

It's ok pampootie - I know exactly the kind of mental block you're talking about. I've had runs like that (perhaps more accurately described as angry walk/semi-jobs) where you come home ready to punch the furniture. Defo move on to Week 6 if it will think it will help.

I often find that if I'm not focusing my thoughts properly on my run, I will drift off into thoughts of how I'm getting tired/sweaty/achy/angry at something someone said to me that day. What I do is to try to completely rid my mind of any thoughts and just look at the horizon, focus intently on my footsteps matching the beats of the music I'm playing, focus on my breathing, or even muttering under my breath "I am fast, fit and strong". Last one sounds naff, I know, but it really helps me.

A very experienced runner friend told me once that the mental hardness for running comes a bit after the the physical hardness. And the other week (I may have read it on this thread even), I read that you have to put up with the ****e runs before you get to have the good ones! :pac:

In other words.... it'll be ok, just keep running! :):):)

pampootie wrote: »
    :mad:

tried w5d3 again. can't keep going. am SO MAD at myself, i know full well its all in my head. i start thinking about not being able to finish the 20 minutes and then i stop running before even three minutes have passed! today i kept pausing the podcast when i took a break so i did run the 20 mins, but not straight through, ended up taking about 10 mins of breaks overall. really disappointed, its not my legs or my lungs that are letting me down, its my stupid mind!
    going to move on to week 6 on thursday anyway, feel like i need a change from week 5 and switching back to interval running might focus me better. the worst thing about all this is i'm not getting the high i was getting after all my runs on all the previous weeks, i'm just all pissed off that i didn't finish it, even though i'm running further and longer than all the other weeks!
    I was the same, it's all the mental stuff from here on I think.
    I say "was" but I AM the same.
    Keep at it and if you are still running the 20 mins overall you'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I did W2D1 today, I've been tired and grumpy all day and had to throw myslf out the door to do it.

It didn't go very well, I only managed to finish one of the jogging intervals. I feel disheartened but I know I would feel worse if I didn't do it at all. Hopefully the next one will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w3d3 done. last 3 min run was tough enough, am nervous about week 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

thanks smallbrowncat and bluewolf. :) i'll make you both proud on thursday, promise! :D

Pain in my knee wasn't there today, it was fine. Lets see what I'm like tomorrow! :D My legs and feet will probably complain after 20 solid minutes of tarmac!

W5 D3. Did the 20 min run all in one go (you can do it if I can Pampootie! I had that mental block on W4D2! :) )

4.85k in just over 30 minutes. Slow and steady running wins the race! :) When I finished I had a rocky moment where I ripped my earphones out and jumped around some person slowed down in their car to see what the hell was going on! :o

So proud, finally time to go to bed. Can't wait to sleep! :)

When I finished I had a rocky moment where I ripped my earphones out and jumped around some person slowed down in their car to see what the hell was going on! :o

Haha brilliant - I do the same thing and I'm sure the drivers and people walking their dogs must think I'm nuts. There's a post I usually stop at and when I reach it (especially on a tough day) I jump in the air and wave my arms about with a big grin like an eejit.
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I hear ya, squeakyduck. I was tempted to shout a bit of a war cry at the end of W5D3, but chickened out. Perhaps if it was 6am and no one was around I might have tried. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Going to repeat w4 tonight after a week out with a weird chesty cough thing. Hope it isn't too hard to get back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Started Week 2 today, managed all the runs! Although towards the end, when the voice on the Get Running app was giving directions like "Run for another 45 seconds!", I came dangerously close to exclaiming "Fcuk off, silly English lady!" out loud :o I don't think the Yummy Mummies walking along the beach would have appreciated such an outburst!

One question, though; I know it says to rest for 2 days before starting a new week's session, but is there any valid reason for this other than it's easier to keep to a schedule? Resting for one day I understand, but I don't get the reasoning behind the two day wait. Anyone able to fill me in?

Advertisement