Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Week 5 of EI10k done, it was a "golden run" too! (No stopping, no checking how much time left, no extending the walks between the runs).

And my running pace is slowly but surely getting faster!

NOT looking forward to beginning Week 6 tomorrow. 40 minutes of running :eek: I wasn't too out of breath after tonights run though. Hopefully it'll be okay, I can't afford to repeat too many weeks between now and June 6th!

Restarted W6D1 for the third time. Managed to cut my down by a whole 5 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

did an 8 minute run, 3 min break, 10 min run.
    which isn't on the programme! but was having a think last night and realised its a bit stupid to go from not being able to run for 90 seconds to being able to run 20 mins, albiet with breaks, 5 weeks later, and be beating myself up over it. so decided this morning to leave the podcasts at home and just went for a run in the park with my watch. feel waaaay better for it and much more positive. think i'm going to do the same thing sat eve/sun morning and then get back into the programme monday.
    thanks for all the support, fellow loungers!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

WK2D2 finished, feel less like a couch potato, but still can't quite finish all the runs. I haven't given up yet, still determined to finish this!

During todays run I got very bored of running around the same little park, so I went a different direction which helped a bit. The problem with where I live is there aren't very many places suitable to run. I hate running along main roads breathing in all the car exhausts. Any tips for dealing with that boredom or is it just a case of deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

clicli wrote: »

During todays run I got very bored of running around the same little park, so I went a different direction which helped a bit. The problem with where I live is there aren't very many places suitable to run. I hate running along main roads breathing in all the car exhausts. Any tips for dealing with that boredom or is it just a case of deal with it?

I had the same problem; I used to run around a park near where I live but it gets so boring very quickly! I've started to run in a residential area/suburban village. There are still plenty of cars as a main road runs right through the village, but there are loads of detours and various routes I can take to change it up and stop the routine of running from becoming so mundane.

Maybe take a look on google maps for your area and figure out a few different routes, away from the main thoroughfare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

week 1 day 2 of B210k complete
    and it's the first run in some time that I havent beaten myself up over. I didn't run the full 40 mins no, but I would say I ran a good 35 mins of it, and that's way more than I have in a while
    I was starting to wonder if I would have to step back to doing EI210k but no, I'll just repeat week 1 of this next week

I had to run double my usual route can you believe it, when I started c25k I was only doing half of it!
    I could have cried when I got to the new halfway point cos it's where I usually finish and close to home, but no I turned around and went back off again :)

stretched properly too - no shin trouble at all this time :D:D

edit: holy christ that's 6.7k of running?!!!!
    may be slightly overestimated actually more like 6k
    but jaysus :eek:

I feel your pain bluewolf, I started that week today. 40 minutes, bleurgh. I think the only reason I got through it was because I headed off on an entirely different route this evening, I am SO sick of the canal! My running pace went way down but I was just happy to get through it.

I also got my first blister. Does that mean I'm a real runner now?? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh dear, started Week 2 today and couldn't finish the last run. Just was not able! I found the first half ok, and seem to be doing a fair bit more distance so I'm going to have to rework my route a little. Will go out again on Saturday. I'm putting my non-finish down to the fact that I was at ballet on Wednesday. We did a mega stretch and lots of big jumps, so maybe my legs were just wrecked!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W6D2 will take place tonight. Going to a 50th tomorrow which involves a small hike in Wickla. I probably won't be able to run again until Monday, not happy with this which I take is a sign of?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I probably won't be able to run again until Monday, not happy with this which I take is a sign of?!?!
    One of us! :D

Am going to try a 10 minute run tonight. Fecking injury. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

End of week 2 and I still can't finish the runs, I think I will repeat it next week. Disapointed in my self but still don't want to give up

Running W2D2 has been a good hangover cure today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep. Did that yesterday cycling to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

Did my first ever 5km race over here in Toronto- finished it in 37mins with about 3 mins walking. Feeling pretty pleased with myself although I'm shattered now..and I managed to bust my ankle after the finishing line when I was cooling down! :)

It's really addictive- the atmosphere at the race was infectious! definitely going to sign up for another. So worth putting the effort into and taking the bad runs with the good runs & keeping your mind on target!

Well done everyone with their training & keep up the good work- it's so worth it! x

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w4d1 done. delighted with myself as i was dreading it/putting it off! my legs were fine but i noticed my breathing was quite shallow, any tips to improve this?

Week 1 day 3 of B210k complete and DAMN I can DO it!!! :eek::eek::D:D
    I took almost no breaks except for the prescribed ones! yay!!!!

I'm gonna repeat it anyway just to make sure I'm on top of it
    but still
    fyeah.jpg

This was a very welcome addition to my playlist -

definitely recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Not a women or anything, but I have a question about C25K and I thought this would be a good place to ask.

What pace should you jog at? Is it just whatever pace that suits you, or whatever you would consider a jog for yourself?

Well done bluewolf :)

Injury recovery continues for me, runs this week will be 10 walk/12 run/10 walk (having worked out that my current pain-free running limit is somewhere around there), with lots of stretching, strengthening, some yoga poses and swimming as cross training.

Desire. wrote: »
    What pace should you jog at? Is it just whatever pace that suits you, or whatever you would consider a jog for yourself?
    Whatever feels like an easy pace for you, one that you feel like you could keep going at. This will be different for everyone.

Desire. wrote: »
    Not a women or anything, but I have a question about C25K and I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I go however slow it takes to not be winded but still breathing a bit hard

I'm covering 6.5km in 40mins running 4 mins walking and it's slow enough, I'm hoping to speed it up

Well done :)

Injury recovery continues for me, runs this week will be 10 walk/12 run/10 walk (having worked out that my current pain-free running limit is somewhere around there), with lots of stretching, strengthening, some yoga poses and swimming as cross training.

Aw that's good kirby I was meaning to ask you when I came back how it was going. You'll get there!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So, W6D3 at lunch time today. Found it a bit tough. My legs were still a bit sore after Saturday's hike (ran a bit in hiking boots, probably not very sensible!) and after the halfway point of today's run my legs felt like concrete blocks. The final 5 mins were the hardest and the final 60 secs seemed to be harder again. Mostly mental, though, I think. Kept going so that's good. Legs are still sore now...wondering if I should rest until Thurs rather than Weds before trying week 7.

Legs are still sore now...wondering if I should rest until Thurs rather than Weds before trying week 7.

Have a good stretchout today and tomorrow and see how you are on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w4d2 done :) again I enjoyed it but found my breathing was really taking up a lot of my concentration from the 1st 5 min run on, again it was really shallow and it kinda felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I'd really like to try and get this under control before week 5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

w5d3 DONE in saturday :) and felt so good while doing it that i ran an extra 2.5 mins at the end. 22.5 minutes! in one go! i am AWESOME :D

should be going out for a run now but it's pissing from the heavens and i have tea. think i'll leave it for the morning.

Week 2 finished today :) Need to learn some proper stretches for the sides of my legs; they're seizing up these days. I'm all proud of myself now! I've figured out I'll have finished the program by the time I go on holidays at the end of May, so I've no excuses not to go for walks/jogs (weather depending) once I'm over there :)

Ran for 12 minutes pain-free... woohoo, progress :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've decided to go for a gait analysis tomorrow and get some proper runners, then I'm going to start C25K in the next couple of days :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Well done everyone! Bluewolf you're a total legend, look how far you've come! I had to google B210K!

So i've started a new job which is all shift work (and the longest hours ever) so I'm finding i can only get out twice a week. I'm on W5D3 - my next run is the full 20 minutes but I just can't squeeze 3 in a week anymore. I'm on my feet already for 12 hours a day so by the time I get home I am already limping and in bits.

I'm assuming it's ok to slow it down slightly though yes? I will do wk5d3 on wednesday and then W6D1 on friday and then I'll have to wait until the following tuesday or so to do W6D2 - oh well! I'm getting there!!

Week 6 Day 2 of EI10k done last night :D If I can squeeze in a run tomorrow evening this week will be finished!

It could have gone better though :( I covered less distance and my speed was WAY down because by the last run my legs were really achey and I had to stop to walk a few times. On the other hand the difference between this week and the previous weeks is significant. I've completely changed my route because I was so sick of my previous one it was putting me off going out! By changing routes I discovered two parks which are much nicer to run through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've finished repeating week 4 because I had been out sick for a while and I'm running my first 5k for fun tomorrow with Ray Darcy. Not expecting a great time but it should be a nice day. Hope I don't get blown away!

Advertisement