Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I bought my runners and downloaded the app. I've no excuses now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

W6D1 last night. I had to stop several times and with the wind I was exhausted. :rolleyes:

Kirby: I found those shorts I was banging on about. I wish I could find them cheap. They are so beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Completed w7d3 on Monday, said I would relax til tomorrow because I have my first race, doing the mullingar run with the Ray D'arcy show. Getting kind of nervous now because I'm doing it on my own and it's my first one but I say the atmosphere on the day will help me, well here's hoping anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I'm running my first 5k for fun tomorrow with Ray Darcy. Not expecting a great time but it should be a nice day. Hope I don't get blown away!
    said I would relax til tomorrow because I have my first race, doing the mullingar run with the Ray D'arcy show.

Good luck to both of you! Relax, have fun and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Kimia wrote: »
    Well done everyone! Bluewolf you're a total legend, look how far you've come! I had to google B210K!

So i've started a new job which is all shift work (and the longest hours ever) so I'm finding i can only get out twice a week. I'm on W5D3 - my next run is the full 20 minutes but I just can't squeeze 3 in a week anymore. I'm on my feet already for 12 hours a day so by the time I get home I am already limping and in bits.

I'm assuming it's ok to slow it down slightly though yes? I will do wk5d3 on wednesday and then W6D1 on friday and then I'll have to wait until the following tuesday or so to do W6D2 - oh well! I'm getting there!!

I suspect it's ok to slow the pace a bit. Each to their own.

OTOH, you might consider doing the run on the way home from work (if it's near enough). It'll add a bit to your commute time but won't use as much time as you would going out later. As your fitness improves, you'll probably find the on your feet at work bit less tiring too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kimia wrote: »
    Well done everyone! Bluewolf you're a total legend, look how far you've come! I had to google B210K!

:o
    thanks kimia <3

you're almost there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Did my first 5k today, weather was good but a bit hot. Not used to running in heat!Finished in 39mins, there were grannies passing me out!Whole event was brilliantly organised and we got technical tshirts for a 5euro entry fee.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I suspect it's ok to slow the pace a bit. Each to their own.

OTOH, you might consider doing the run on the way home from work (if it's near enough). It'll add a bit to your commute time but won't use as much time as you would going out later. As your fitness improves, you'll probably find the on your feet at work bit less tiring too...

hehe that means I'd be running at 1am in the morning! I work looong hours - 12 hour shifts and it takes me an hour to get to work and another hour to get home so that's what I meant by no time. I'm doing my first full 20 minutes today though, and I'm really excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W3D1 complete :) Moving up to 3 minutes was scary! But I got through it all, despite the tightness in my calf muscles. I stopped during the walking breaks once or twice to stretch them out, but I need to start stretching properly before my run instead of saying "ah sure, it'll be grand"!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Just home from a 4k run. It went great! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Got to 17.44 minutes!! I know it wasn't the full 20 but oh well. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Did W3D2 yesterday and my poor shins were in bad shape. Stretching after does a lot of good but they get very painful when I am jogging. :(

I was told I was spotted out jogging by someone in work. Mortified! :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

i've kind of given up on following the programme a bit, but in a good way. went out to do week 6 day 1 yesterday, got to the first bit where i was meant to stop, and didn't want to. :) so ran the full 25 mins. then went out for "a short run" tonight-and ran 25 mins again. delighted with myself! i suppose i may as well count this as week 7, cos i do want to make sure i keep working towards the 30 mins.

More slight injury progress here, 15 minutes running with no pain, just under 1.7 miles covered in that time. :)

More slight injury progress here, 15 minutes running with no pain, just under 1.7 miles covered in that time. :)

Hurray! You'll be back to it in no time at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Had to go to the garda station last night so I ran and walked to the garda station and did my W6D2 after wards. I checked it on google earth and I did over 7 overall and 5.25k after I left the garda station. I thought my legs were going to fall off but I did the whole 20 min run! :) yayyy!

Well done my first official race, 8 weeks since i took it up, and completed it in 35 mins, could have been a bit faster but had a bit of a stitch so had to walk for a wee bit twice. Also forgot how hilly mullingar is :) Great atmosphere out there, school kids out at the walls cheering and shouting everyone on to victory. Really delighted i done it as was nervous beforehand but once i got started i was happy enough

Bring on the next one, the Superhero fun run in aid of Crumlin Hospital on the 8th of next month, be interesting to see how much quicker i will be able to do it in another month !!!

Well done! Yes i was asked if i was doing that fun run is it 5k? Im trying to remember when the leixlip one is, i think its around then too

7th May for Leixlip.

Yeah the fun run is 5k, hardest part will be deciding which superhero to be!!

• Advertisement

7th May for Leixlip.
    2 days in a row you say... might be pushing it. Ill see in a while sure

Donore Summer 5k in the Phoenix Park is 28 May - that might suit better.

Just home from a 7.3k. With about half a km of that being a very leisurely stroll 'cause the scenery was so lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

glad i found this thread this evening, i'm just getting back into my running after a bit of a break since christmas. i started the couch 2 5k last year and was doing great until christmas :( but i've started again so fingers crossed should feel fit again soon! went out last night and ran 2 miles, nearly died. I'll go out again tomorrow! sunny evenings help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I injured my back a few months ago and its not feeling particularly better but i'm really wanting to give C25k a go - this might sound like a stupid question, but does running have much of an impact on back pain?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moan post alert...

W7D2 (25 mins). Finding this week a bit tough going, particularly on the outward run...it's a little easier once I'm past the half way point. I've noticed that I'm a bit reluctant when doing it, but somehow manage to complete it. I think my knees are starting to feeling something or readjust, first noticed this yesterday (rest day). Time for an oil change. Not looking forward to day 3. One toe was bleeding slightly after today's run, despite short nails.

Decided I couldn't take a day off today so thought I'd just go around the block. It's only about 2 and a half km. Bad idea. After my 7k yesterday, I have 2 blisters on one foot and my legs are just so tired. I also lost my hairband a few minutes in so had my hair blowing all over the place and annoying me. That's what I get for not listening and not resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W3D2 complete, or almost complete. Had to stop the final run a little early because of a stitch in my side. Never again will I leave my inhalor behind!

I'm counting it as complete, as I walked for a little longer than usual afterwards to try and make up for it. Day 3 is on Sunday, so if I get through that (and I really think I will), I'll move on to week 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Completed Week 3 today - sort of. It was only when the podcast instructed me to start my second 90 minute jog that I realised I was listening to Week 2 instead of Week 3... doh! :rolleyes:

So I wasted a bit of time putting on the correct podcast and trying to find my place in it. I don't think I did a full three minutes on the first 3 min jog, but I did a bit longer at the end to make up for it, and so I didn't feel like I was cheating!

My legs weren't as sore as last time and I made an effort to ensure that I'm landing on my heel - think it helped. It's so hard though, to try to train yourself to run differently to what comes naturally!

Roll on week 4...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've been in denial about how out of shape I've gotten, but a recent visit to the doctor and an unfortunate weigh-in has shaken me out of complacency. :(

Just got an iPhone a few days ago, downloaded the C25K app, and did my first run today. It's brilliant! Not having to think is good.

I also downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to log workouts, weight, and caloric intake. I find it to be really useful, especially since it remembers the foods you entered before, and I tend to eat the same thing all week since I buy whatever is on sale. Plus I am a stats nerd, so I love how it compiles everything and readjusts based on level of activity, eating habits, etc.

Advertisement