Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w4d3 done

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Wk 8 day 1 done !!! Only 5 more sessions left :( then bring on bridge to 10k eeek !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's great to see everyone doing this :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a suitable 10k option/podcast for non-smartphone owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Is there a suitable 10k option/podcast for non-smartphone owners?

When I was training for my first 10k I used the Hal Higdon Novice 10k program. I've never owned a smartphone, and only got my hands on a Garmin 305 last month. It assumes that you can run for 3 miles as your longest run in the first week (which will be 30-40 minutes for most people here), and builds to a 5.5 mile (roughly 9km) run the week before your 10k race. The program is 8 weeks long, so this would be a good time to start it for people training for the Women's Mini-Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yay, week 6 of EI10k done. I'm down in my parents house for a few days and ran along a path, it made such a difference not having to deal with traffic lights and cars. I really need to find a similar place up in Dublin for a nice uninterrupted weekend run!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Week 3 complete! I was a bit nervous as a stitch made me stop my last session a bit early, but I got though it all today with no major problems :) Slightly terrified of moving up another level (the weeks go by so quickly!) but I'll dive right in on Tuesday!

Ran for just under 22 minutes pain-free today. Nice feeling, but a bit depressing considering I should be about three and a half hours into the Connemara marathon right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W7D3 complete, same toe was a little bloody again. No pain from it, though. Will push on and do week 8, hopefully on Tuesday, assuming my knees don't feel any more geriatric.

If the bloody toe is caused by friction, maybe try putting some Vaseline or BodyGlide on it before you put your sock on?

• Advertisement

:)

Am I to take it that you're future editor in chief of Runningpedia? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

How're ye guys? :)

I've just gotten back running recently. My legs are fine and other than feeling the push they don't hurt, but my arms and shoulders feel like they're in knots after a run, anyone have any idea why?

Are you tensing your shoulders when you run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

W4D1 complete! I didn't think I would be able for the 5 minute runs but I made it! A few minutes into the first 5 min run, I seemed to settle into it and began to enjoy it. My shins only bothered me a little at the beginning and then were fine. :)

In terms of distance, I went a lot further than usual. I haven't been living in the area long, so I feel like I'm discovering a bit more of it each time I go a bit further.

Jokettle - we're nearly in sync! I'm just one run ahead of you and will be doing W4D2 on Tues. Like the ticker btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

W2D2 done, lving this, the 20-30 minute sessions are great as opposed to just trying to run until I'm knackered like I used to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Are you tensing your shoulders when you run?

No, I made a conscious effort not to too. It's like I had no power in my arms to propel me forward, very strange. My legs were fine but my arms were dying to be dropped to my sides. No aches or pains now at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

W1D1

Considering searching for JtH25K - Jabba the Hutt to 5k.

Am not overweight. Am near-totally sedentary, and have been for years. Asthmatic. Computer-based work for over a decade. Last regular gym attendance was... 9 years ago. Even when walking the dog I walk from the car to the edge of the lake and throw sticks for him while he runs himself ragged, then walk back to the car.

W1D1, couldn't finish session. Body, which hasn't as much as run for a bus in half a decade, traumatised.

Oh well. Tomorrow: W1D1.

Wednesday: W1D1.

Thursday: W1D1.

Friday's goal is W1D1 completed.

Then next week I'll start again with W1D1 and see if I can get as far as W1D2.

Hopelessly unfit body, I hope this is the last time you and I have this conversation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

W1D1

Am not overweight. Am near-totally sedentary, and have been for years. Asthmatic. Computer-based work for over a decade. Last regular gym attendance was... 9 years ago. Even when walking the dog I walk from the car to the edge of the lake and throw sticks for him while he runs himself ragged, then walk back to the car.

W1D1, couldn't finish session. Body, which hasn't as much as run for a bus in half a decade, traumatised.

Hopelessly unfit body, I hope this is the last time you and I have this conversation. :D

You need to take a day off in between runs really
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Does that include taking a day off in between brisk walks that don't even last 25 mins?:pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Family wedding next year, and with hordes of sisters they are all getting into shape for it so I, the sloth of the family have downloaded the podcast, bought the runners and gonna give C25K a bash.

If you see a purplefaced girl wheezing and gasping for breath on the outskirts of galway, its me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Neyite wrote: »
    If you see a purplefaced girl wheezing and gasping for breath on the outskirts of galway, its me.
    Ditto! You'll be fine though, your stamina improves scarily fast!

Did w5d2 today and it actually went quite well!had to stop for a second during the second 8min run because my hamstring had tightened up to the point where it was impossible to run. Passed a guy running in the opposite direction and he gave me "the nod". I'm offically in the club! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

30 min run today! :D made friends with an insanely hyper puppy, he was running along behind me batting at my heels, then leaping into the river and back out and saturating me with river water. his owner was mortified when he found him 20 mins later but i thought it was hilarious.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Ditto! You'll be fine though, your stamina improves scarily fast!

My OH has generously volunteered to kerb crawl in the car while i'm running and throw wet sponges at me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w5d1 done woohoo :) noticed my breathing has improved a little too so am very impressed with myself!
    am looking for opinions/advice, I want to finish week 5 by the end of the weekend so it looks like I will need to do 2 days in a row at some stage, was thinking of going out tomorrow to do day 2 and then doing d3 sat so as to give myself a break on friday. I'm thinking day 2 and 3 together would be tough on my legs!
    Oh and might need to switch my training to mornings before work in a week or 2, any recommendations of what I could eat in the mornings for energy, I don't like porridge or bananas. Sorry for the long post!!!

W1D1

Im on W1 too - did D1yesterday. Walking was grand, the running, well, probably it looked like a slow motion movie clip. :p I am thinking that if I am this sore after the 3 sessions of W1 then I might just repeat it.

Im so pathetic. I felt like the Rocky theme should have been playing when I neared home, such was the pride in doing a small walk.

W8D1 yesterday was great, really great. Even a bit of rain in there, too. A damn sight better than all of week 7, I'm blaming the crappy music for it.

Only 5 runs left. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Started Week 7 of EI10k. Shockingly slow, I actually covered less distance than my previous run which was 5 minutes shorter!

Still, however slow, it was 45 minutes of nonstop running :D Never thought I'd see the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Week 4 Day 1 complete. I don't have the energy to type any more detail :pac:

• Advertisement

The dreaded w5d3 today, could only manage 12 mins before I had to take a walking break and do the 8mins after that.Not too disappointed because it could have been a lot worse!Think I was going too fast again.Will try again on Friday.

Advertisement