Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran 25 minutes this evening, longest run since Barcelona. :cool:

Stupid slow-healing injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w5d2 done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

6.5k today. Have little blisters on the toes of one of my feet now. Not sure why 'cause my runners aren't uncomfortable or anything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Novella wrote: »
    6.5k today. Have little blisters on the toes of one of my feet now. Not sure why 'cause my runners aren't uncomfortable or anything. :(

Those Compeed blister plasters are brilliant - and I found that getting a couple of pairs of proper running socks from a sports shop helped a lot, I haven't gotten any blisters at all since I started wearing them ... they're not cheap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I've just started couch to 5k again after a break due to tonsillitis
    So happy to get going, decided to do week 2 again to start off.:D

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of a stitch in your lower abdomen? I've gotten the one under the ribs before and those were easy enough to get rid of with some deep breaths but that didn't work for the one I had yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I've decided to take part in the Great Ethiopian Run for Orbis in November and the first step is getting up to 5k, literally from the couch. :eek:

The run is at 10,000 feet and I'm told that in order to be able to run 10k up there, I need to be able to run 15k down here!!

Any-hoo, one thing at a time, 5k here I come!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Best of luck littlebook, you can do it :)

I haven't been running in a week - everything is still on pause until after this weekend. I'll get back to it then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well, after a bit of a hiccup, I finished week 1 and feel good about it. What's killing me is my pushups/core regime - it hurts to laugh! :(

A friend is running the Boston Marathon this weekend, and I'll probably go to cheer him on. I don't ever want to run a marathon (long term, I'd like to do a triathlon), but it's a huge event, and I think it will be inspiring to see it in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Well, after a bit of a hiccup, I finished week 1 and feel good about it. What's killing me is my pushups/core regime - it hurts to laugh! :(

A friend is running the Boston Marathon this weekend, and I'll probably go to cheer him on. I don't ever want to run a marathon (long term, I'd like to do a triathlon), but it's a huge event, and I think it will be inspiring to see it in person.

I just read about it on a blog recently and it looks like a really fun day- here's the article. Contains info on good spectator spots and stuff like that!

I don't ever want to run a marathon
    I said the same thing when I started running :pac:

• Advertisement

Btw, if anyone is planning on doing the Women's Mini-Marathon and hasn't entered, this was up on the Facebook page today:
    Event Organiser: EARLY CLOSING DATE
    Huge numbers of entries have been received to date and as a result, we will have to close earlier than anticipated.Entries will be closing before Easter.
    This is your last chance to get your entry in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W4D2 done, much easier than day 1! Ran on a treadmill for the first time today, maybe that's easier than running on a footpath? Either way, I'm happy I finished it all without gasping for breath too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi everyone.

I am on the other couch to 5k thread and have stumbled on this one.

I did W5D1 a couple of days ago. Very apprehensive and nervous about Day 2 and Day 3.

Never exercised before in my life until November, when I started with very short walks and slowly increased it. And now I am doing this. Still very overweight but working on that also.

Just wondering for others who were in a similar position as me, how did you find going from 5 to 8 minutes? I think I could probably do that, well try it anyway.

BUT, how did you go from 8 minutes to 20 minutes??? :eek:

Any experiences/advice appreciated. :)

The most important thing is to relax. Take it easy and take it nice and slow. Don't think about stopping and keep your head up. Maybe pick somewhere nice to do it (somewhere that's not your usual route) - a local park would be ideal.

The most important thing is to relax. Take it easy and take it nice and slow. Don't think about stopping and keep your head up. Maybe pick somewhere nice to do it (somewhere that's not your usual route) - a local park would be ideal.

Thanks. Yeah I have changed my route to a route I walked twice, but at the time was only a couple of months into the whole exercise thing and it seemed so long (3.5k). My current route is 3.2k so I think the new route is grand, and a good chunk of it runs alongside a river :)

Yeah I am really slow, sometimes I think my brisk walk is faster than my jog, probably is (and i'm slow) so hoping to finish the programme at current speed and then will figure out how to increase it.

w5d3 done- I ran for a full 20mins without stopping!! I'm so proud of myself (can only imagine what I'll be like when I finish the full programme!!:p) I found my legs were fine but after the first 10 minutes I got a horrible stitch, managed to keep going, I really wanted to be able to post here that I'd done the full thing!!! Delighted :D:D

Well done! W5D3 is a big milestone, and it's great for you mentally to get that run done. So much of this is purely in your head you wouldn't believe it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

After putting it off for waaaaay too long, I finally started this morning and did w1d1. Got on fine, found the breathing a bit hard to manage but grand otherwise. Feel great now that I've finally started it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ladies, I thought some of ye might enjoy this article: Words of Wisdom from a 73 year old marathoner. She didn't start running til she was in her 40s and has now run 100+, so there's plenty of time for the rest of us to get up to marathon level :D

w6d1 done :) day of rest tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Been avoiding this for the last week for a reason unbeknownst to myself seeing as I have enjoyed it and are nearly at the finish line. Anyways w8d2 done yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back of one leg feels a bit strained...need to start week 9 tomorrow, bah. Tempted to order a Garmin 405CX. A bit pricey, perhaps. I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a phone, but maybe for a watch. :p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

W4D3 failed, and failed miserably. I'm putting this one down to a mental block; just not in the mood today. I'll try again tomorrow.

jokettle wrote: »
    W4D3 failed, and failed miserably. I'm putting this one down to a mental block; just not in the mood today. I'll try again tomorrow.

Don't worry, you will do fine the next day. I was on week 3 and went out 1 night and couldn't even complete the first jog. Was so annoyed with myself but was so tired from work and just not in the mood at all. Then that night I came down with a chest infection really quickly. Just shows, you should listen to your body. Have a rest tonight and tomorrow and then try again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Am going out to start Week 2, Day 1 in about an hour! Read through the whole thread, and will definitely be posting here regularly to keep up motivation. It was really inspiring to read through the last couple of months and see that by the end of the thread, people who'd said they'd never be able to run 5k at the start were doing it!

So hopefully, that'll be me in 8 weeks. :D I'm pretty unfit, and have never been a particularly athletic person but I made it through week 1 okay and all your posts have given me hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giggles24

Used to run all the time before I got pregnant, can't wait to get back into it. Just had twins a week ago so it may be a while before I am ready but I really miss it :D Hopefully time will fly and I can get back in the swing of it!

Back of one leg feels a bit strained...need to start week 9 tomorrow, bah. Tempted to order a Garmin 405CX. A bit pricey, perhaps. I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a phone, but maybe for a watch. :p :rolleyes:

Garmin 305 is a much better price on Amazon at the moment - got one about 7 weeks ago for about €130 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    I haven't been running in a week - everything is still on pause until after this weekend. I'll get back to it then!

No more excuses - not that I need any, I miss going out running.
    Home late tonight but even if it means going out at 10pm I'm going to get out there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok so went back to re-start C25K this morning.
    I completed it before Christmas but due to a variety of things I haven't managed to keep going, so I'm starting all over again now :rolleyes: so I can ease myself into it rather than doing myself an injury by just attempting to run the 5K!

Anywho...W1D1 completed :D
    According to Runkeeper I burned 181 cals too, happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

<.< >.> /sheepishly enters the lounge...:o
    fell of the wagon or onto the couch .. havent run in four weeks and i was up to week seven..sigh...:(
    anyways... am writing here to force myself to start again today, gonna try starting on week 5 and see how i go...
    Advice to others DONT stop running... so easy to stop and so hard to get going again - mentally i have been beating myself up for the last couple of weeks (us wimmin are so good at that arent we?)

Advertisement