Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Garmin 305 is a much better price on Amazon at the moment - got one about 7 weeks ago for about €130 delivered.

Yep, looked at it after you mentioned it on here. One review on amazon says it's not compatible on Mac, but others and Google suggest otherwise. Can't see much sense in going for something more expensive when a 305 might do pretty much the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm using it on a 4 year old Macbook Pro. There's no problem there ;)

Ramette wrote: »
    <.< >.> /sheepishly enters the lounge...:o
    fell of the wagon or onto the couch .. havent run in four weeks and i was up to week seven..sigh...:(
    anyways... am writing here to force myself to start again today, gonna try starting on week 5 and see how i go...
    Advice to others DONT stop running... so easy to stop and so hard to get going again - mentally i have been beating myself up for the last couple of weeks (us wimmin are so good at that arent we?)
    Just head out today and enjoy it! It's a lovely day for it too. Don't think about the fact you haven't done anything for a few weeks, just tell yourself "I'm going to do it today". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W5D2 FAIL!!! :(

Was in an ok mood and felt ready to go out. Started the first 8 minute run and I am disgusted with myself that I could only do about 90 seconds and then I stopped and walked until the next 8 minute run (when your one on the podcast tells me to run) and thought to myself, I would be really happy if I could even manage 1 8 minute run. So she tells me to start running again, and that time I only managed about 2 and a half minutes. :(

I don't know what is wrong with me. It didn't help that I felt like such a fat blob bounding (very very slowly) down the path along side all the skinny people and they were all passing me out with just their fast walk :(

I feel like such a failure and am starting to think maybe jogging isn't for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Monife wrote: »
    W5D2 FAIL!!! :(

I feel like such a failure and am starting to think maybe jogging isn't for me. :(

Don't give up on it Monife! I know exactly how you feel-have a look back through the thread and you'll see I went through the exact same thing, starting at W5D2 as well! That was just under 4 weeks ago and I did the same thing as you, could only jog a few mins before giving up, BUT I'm now running for 30 mins straight. It's more than likely psychological, it was for me anyway. Don't think when you're starting out "I have to run for 8 straight minutes now" Just start and break it down to little things, like "i'll just run to that tree, ok, now I'll run to those traffic lights" etc. Keep at it and don't be too tough on yourself if you have a few bad runs-you're still out there doing something instead of being at home sprawled on your couch! And when you break through that mental barrier and run for 20 mins, trust me, you feel AMAZING :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Best 6k tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I went to the Boston Marathon today and it was AMAZING. For the runners, conditions were near-ideal: cool and clear, with a tailwind. We were about 300m from the finish line, and both the men and women's races went down to the wire, and the men's winner set a world record.

But what was most inspiring was the fellowship among the "regular" racers - even with the finish line in sight, some racers were pulling up, or limping in pain. Not only did the crowd cheer louder, but so many other racers patted them on the shoulder or encouraged them to finish. I've noticed on my neighborhood runs that I sometimes get "the nod" from other runners - but on the marathon, these kind of moments were more like a giant embrace. I'm looking forward to my first road race!

I've attached a few photos from the day - maybe someone on this thread will be there next year?

The women's front runners: it went down to the wire!

Kara Goucher: she came in fifth, even though she gave birth seven months ago :eek:

They go by so fast...and they are amazingly fit...

These ladies came in at around the 3-hour mark (And peep the Tricolor in the background!)

The finish line...who will be there next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Week 6 day 2 done! It only took me like 3 weeks to nearly finish week 6 but I still did it yay. I can feel how easy it would be for me to say oh i'm too busy right now but I don't want to give up! I'm starting to get lovely definition on my thighs oor!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Did W1D2 there, and yes I know I'm supposed to leave gaps between runs but I want to get the ole body kick started in the morning before I hit the books for the day.

EDIT: Was just wondering are there any other ladies here that are running with a bit of weight on them? How do you find it?

I'm currently weighing in at 15 stone and my poor lickle legs take some strain with all that weight. I tend to run slow (the treadmill would be static at 3.5mph) and I've also never have any problems with my breathing, anytime I had to stop when I did C25K before it was because my legs just couldn't go any further.
    Although I'm only on the second run this time round, I don't seem to notice I'm running the 60 secs, yer man says "walk" and I'm thinking to myself the phone must have reset or something that was too quick!! When I first did C25K I was screaming inside for the 60 secs runs to be over! Obviously there has been some improvement ;) I just need to drop the 4 stone my doctor says I shouldn't be carrying so I can run faster than 3.5mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Did W1D2 there, and yes I know I'm supposed to leave gaps between runs but I want to get the ole body kick started in the morning before I hit the books for the day.

EDIT: Was just wondering are there any other ladies here that are running with a bit of weight on them? How do you find it?

I'm currently weighing in at 15 stone and my poor lickle legs take some strain with all that weight. I tend to run slow (the treadmill would be static at 3.5mph) and I've also never have any problems with my breathing, anytime I had to stop when I did C25K before it was because my legs just couldn't go any further.
    Although I'm only on the second run this time round, I don't seem to notice I'm running the 60 secs, yer man says "walk" and I'm thinking to myself the phone must have reset or something that was too quick!! When I first did C25K I was screaming inside for the 60 secs runs to be over! Obviously there has been some improvement ;) I just need to drop the 4 stone my doctor says I shouldn't be carrying so I can run faster than 3.5mph!

Hiya, I am 15 stone 6lb. I started to lose the weight and exercise for the 1st time ever in November (I was severly unfit and 18 stone 3lb).

I do find it is a lot of strain on my legs and I go very slowly but my legs/calves/shins are always killing me whether it be 60 seconds or 3 minutes.

I jog outside on the path, so that might be further strain on me but I did it on the treadmill once (found it a bit easier tbh) and I would walk at 4.8/5km/hr and then put it up to 5.5/6 km/hr for the jogs depending on how I am feeling. Dont know what that is in miles though..

I'd say it is pretty slow because when I was in the gym I saw people jogging at like 10km/hr and more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Monife wrote: »
    Hiya, I am 15 stone 6lb. I started to lose the weight and exercise for the 1st time ever in November (I was severly unfit and 18 stone 3lb).

I do find it is a lot of strain on my legs and I go very slowly but my legs/calves/shins are always killing me whether it be 60 seconds or 3 minutes.

I jog outside on the path, so that might be further strain on me but I did it on the treadmill once (found it a bit easier tbh) and I would walk at 4.8/5km/hr and then put it up to 5.5/6 km/hr for the jogs depending on how I am feeling. Dont know what that is in miles though..

I'd say it is pretty slow because when I was in the gym I saw people jogging at like 10km/hr and more :eek:

3.5mph = 5.6KPH
    :D

So we are about the same on the treadmill.
    I can often go to 4mph (6.4kph) when I'm feeling energetic but I tend to fluctuation between 3.5-4mph in any one session.

Oh and well done you on the weightloss :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Every time I have tried to start a running routine, I have developed shin splints by week 3. This time seems to be no exception. They aren't full-blown, but are definitely twinge-y. I think I am going to stick to swimming for the next week, but does anyone have any suggestions for prevention and/or what works for them re: icing, etc?

Stretching your calves can help. Ice them anyway, that will help to take down any inflammation. Also, make sure you are in the right shoes - there was one particular pair of shoes I tried in the past which made me feel like my shins were on fire within a mile.

If this happens every time you try to start running though, it may be worthwhile getting it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w6d2 done. lovely running in the sun but the heat made the 2nd run tough going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Managed week1 day1 today, feeling majorly happy with myself. Loved the rush I got when I heard the voice telling me to do my cool down, achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

finally got back out there and restarted at W5D1 (yer woman was telling me you should be starting week 8 do you really want to repeat week 5 :o) ah well... did it and am glad i did, now i must make sure i stick with it this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Week 7 of EI10k done, just 3 more to go!

Gauge wrote: »
    Week 7 of EI10k done, just 3 more to go!

Good stuff! Got any races coming up?

Good stuff! Got any races coming up?

The Flora Women's Mini Marathon on June 6th is going to be my first ever. No doubt there'll be several others from here taking part as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Gauge wrote: »
    The Flora Women's Mini Marathon on June 6th is going to be my first ever. No doubt there'll be several others from here taking part as well!

I havent been running in about 2 weeks and im cracking up... I wont be running in june unless I can pick it up again soon!!!

you should do the leixlip 5k too gauge :cool:

bluewolf wrote: »
    I havent been running in about 2 weeks and im cracking up... I wont be running in june unless I can pick it up again soon!!!

you should do the leixlip 5k too gauge :cool:

I'm going to be in the USA when that's on :( On the upside, the hotel I'm staying in has a 24 hour gym!

• Advertisement

How soon after completing C2 5K did people take part in a 5k race? I've found one that takes place about 10days after I'm due to finish the program!

intouch44 wrote: »
    How soon after completing C2 5K did people take part in a 5k race? I've found one that takes place about 10days after I'm due to finish the program!

Mine was the last run of my program :pac:
    10 days is grand, just do another couple weeks of runs in the meantime and you'll be set

10 days afterwards is actually quite a good time to do one tbh - a little extra motivation for those last few sessions! I did my first 5k 4 weeks after finishing it.

Thanks guys think I'll just bite the bullet and enter, it's only the local 5k around (all the rest are 8k+) so I'm taking it as a sign and you're right it'll be good motivation!

Did ye enter alone or drag a friend along?

I entered alone, I hadn't even told my friends I'd started running at that stage (seriously, I was *that* shy about my running early on). I still prefer to race alone, but to meet up with friends before/after the race.

I entered alone, it was my thing.
    Kirby and RQ cheered me at the end :cool:

Any of ye planning on doing the Donore 5k in the Phoenix Park on 28 May? Am loosely considering that as my next race, but treating it more as a "how much fitness have I lost through being injured?" race than a PB attempt.

Any of ye planning on doing the Donore 5k in the Phoenix Park on 28 May? Am loosely considering that as my next race, but treating it more as a "how much fitness have I lost through being injured?" race than a PB attempt.

Havent read up on any other races but I won't say no to that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Extremely stiff and sore today, hoping tomorrow will be easier to do W1D2....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I ran for 25 minutes today!!!:D

Now there's a sentence I never thought I would type. I'm so happy with how far I've come with this.

Advertisement