Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

lessons learned from todays run;

1. Born This Way is amazing to run to.

2. Cucumber normally repeats on me ever so slightly. But I now know that eating cucumber as part of dinner an hour before my run results in violent stitches for the first five minutes which are only relieved by
    several Homer Simpson-esqe burps which taste distinctly of cucumber. bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am doing an 8K race this Friday. God help me. Haven't been training at all. But sure feck it...why not! Will be grand. (right?!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I believe that I have neglected this thread for a while.

With my course, getting up early in the morning and working I've been neglecting eating habits and as a result I got dizzy during a run and took about 2 weeks off :rolleyes::eek: Tonight my sister signed me up for the mini marathon and I had a run to celebrate. I'm so glad I did. I did 5k in 40 minutes.

I stopped at W6D2 so I started back on W5D1. It was almost too much for me. I couldn't keep going at the final run I had to stop and walk for a little. Then I said I'll get little targets for myself. Run to the next set of traffic lights, *one minute left* ok run to the next set. I could feel my body screaming STOOOP. I managed to get to the traffic light and I had run so hard to get there I felt a little dizzy.

Forgot how good you feel after! :) Over the past few days I'd been contemplating going for a run. I'm glad I did now. I'm just so busy :( I'm going to try and keep it up. It's good that I can do about 5k in 40 minutes. Its quite quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

am on week 3 day 2 as of today, enjoying it, my athritic knees dont know whats hit them lately but am grand. stretching properly before and after too which i wasnt doing the first couple of days and feeling it tenfold the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I am doing an 8K race this Friday. God help me. Haven't been training at all. But sure feck it...why not! Will be grand. (right?!!)

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I ran for 25 minutes today!!!:D

Now there's a sentence I never thought I would type. I'm so happy with how far I've come with this.

Feels great, doesn't it? :)

Garmin 305 is on its way here. Need the leg to sort itself out and then I can start week 9. Easter and assignment lull should hopefully provide some opportunities to get out there. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't recommend C25k enough, I was absolutely terrible at running (could barely run for two minutes straight) and would try to do too much too soon and end up doing myself an injury.

But C25k is effortless, before you even realise it you'll be doing 5k in under 30 mins in no time. :) And without injury. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Just did W2D1 there, decided to push myself and ran between 4 & 4.5mph
    I felt the burn in the ole thighs, so I guess I need to push that speed factor every now and again so I don't just get comfy in a slow speed jog.

Also noticed that my right foot has started to turn in, that has never happened before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Also noticed that my right foot has started to turn in, that has never happened before :confused:

The guy doing my gait analysis said mine does that, it's not a big problem but you'll end up with blisters if you don't wear proper runners. I know cos I got them big time!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    The guy doing my gait analysis said mine does that, it's not a big problem but you'll end up with blisters if you don't wear proper runners. I know cos I got them big time!!

It didn't happen last time I did C25K though, and I always look at my feet when I run - I know that seems weird, but without my glasses on, my feet are the nearest thing other than the clock to focus on so I don't lose my balance lol

Also I wore the Shock Absorber run bra this morning, it was great, well once I managed to get into it. I actually had to place my boobs into the bra and then contort my arms to fasten it - it was a strange experience lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I love my Shock Absorber soooo much :D I don't know what I'd do without it! I even put it on for casual walks...

Gauge wrote: »
    I love my Shock Absorber soooo much :D
    Me too, going to treat myself to another one soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Love Shock Absorber too :)

W6D3 done without stopping- I'm a bit meh about the whole thing and I don't know why. I had it in my head going out to do it that theres no way I could do it, then the heat was UNREAL and I was stupidly dressed all in black (although I did admire myself a lot before I left the house :p) I actually nearly cried when NHS Laura told me I had 60 seconds left cos I was convinced I was finished (I was at the spot I usually would be after a 5 min lap) but it does mean I'm picking up pace a little which I suppose is a good thing.
    I suppose its the first run I didn't fully enjoy, I am glad I didn't let it beat me though!
    If this weather is gonna stick around for a while I may start wearing shorts. Also I wore a vest top out for the first time today, a nike one, and when I was doing my cool down walk my armpits were in bits as if it was cutting/irritating me. Anyone experience this before or know how to prevent it happening again?

Long Post/Moan/Rant over! Thanks for reading :)

Me too, going to treat myself to another one soon :D

RK Amazon have some sizes on sale, have a look on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Just back from a very disappointing 6 and half km walk/run. I thought on Tuesday when I was in the gym that my knee felt a bit weak so I took yesterday off and headed out today. After about 1km, I just wanted to go home. Every time my left foot hit the ground, my knee got a sharp pain. I also had to stop a lot and step into ditches to let cars go by so all in all, my worst time ever and just meh.

intouch44 wrote: »
    If this weather is gonna stick around for a while I may start wearing shorts. Also I wore a vest top out for the first time today, a nike one, and when I was doing my cool down walk my armpits were in bits as if it was cutting/irritating me. Anyone experience this before or know how to prevent it happening again?
    Body Glide or Vaseline should help there - put it on anywhere that you know may chafe before you go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W5D2 complete (again!) can relax now and enjoy the weekend. phew!
    Happy Easter everyone :)

Fluid on my knee :( No running for a wee while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

W5D2 completed (finally) :) Why is it soooo much easier on a treadmill? Feel great but absolutely knackered, the 1st 8 mins was grand but the 2nd was tough, I find it much better when u can look at the clock and see how much you have left. Nervous for day 3, really don't think I can add an extra 12 mins on but if I can't I will be really happy with 10 and I will work it up that way.

Monife wrote: »
    W5D2 completed (finally) :) Why is it soooo much easier on a treadmill? Feel great but absolutely knackered, the 1st 8 mins was grand but the 2nd was tough, I find it much better when u can look at the clock and see how much you have left. Nervous for day 3, really don't think I can add an extra 12 mins on but if I can't I will be really happy with 10 and I will work it up that way.

I must say that I hate looking at the clock, time seems to stand still while it makes me run :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

YAY. Did that 5mile/8k anyway. And I didn't die. Finished it in 49mins. Which is alright I guess seeing as I've never done a race before. (and no training whatsoever in the past couple of weeks!) :)

Well done :)

had to attempt a morning run there since we're having a BBQ later-disastrous! i always do my run in the evenings, really struggle doing them any earlier. anyone got any tips on running in the morning? my biggest problem is with food-if i have something like a banana i'm starving and feeling sick and faint halfway round, and if i have my normal breakfast of eggs/porridge i get a huge stitch! tried heading out straight after i got up on an empty stomach this morning which wasn't too bad, except i had no water either and was gasping for a drink about 5 mins in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w7d1 done- tough going but can't believe how far I've come in such a short space of time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

pampootie wrote: »
    had to attempt a morning run there since we're having a BBQ later-disastrous! i always do my run in the evenings, really struggle doing them any earlier. anyone got any tips on running in the morning? my biggest problem is with food-if i have something like a banana i'm starving and feeling sick and faint halfway round, and if i have my normal breakfast of eggs/porridge i get a huge stitch! tried heading out straight after i got up on an empty stomach this morning which wasn't too bad, except i had no water either and was gasping for a drink about 5 mins in :rolleyes:

Try having a glass of apple juice diluted with water or half of a piece of fruit. And give yourself a bit more warm-up time.

Try having a glass of apple juice diluted with water or half of a piece of fruit. And give yourself a bit more warm-up time.

thanks, i'll try that monday. wish i was one of those people who could wake up at 6am and head for a run straight away, it takes me 2-3 hours before the shock of it being morning again wears off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Did W5D1 :) I didn't fully finish Week 4, I kept stopping during the last 5 minute run even though I knew I could keep going; I'm blaming it on the seemingly-common mental block that occurs during this program! So I'm very proud of finishing all 3 5 minute runs :)

Although, having looked ahead to what the rest of this week entails, I may just repeat Day 1 a couple of times :eek:

2 days without running and I actually miss it. Swelling on my knee does seem to be going down, fingers crossed I won't have to wait too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

2 weeks out of practice = very winded when out tonight
    only did 20 mins
    Oddly my legs were fine, settled into a comfy gait; opposite problem to usual

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W9D1 completed yesterday, felt great. Didn't think I'd be up for it at all because one leg was still slightly dodgy and I had not been out in around 10 days, but it was grand, particularly after the half way point. I felt like I could have kept going.

Happy! :)

Advertisement