Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Hi, I was just wondering if you can skip your rest days and run everyday. Maybe not at the start but when could you begin to run everday as oppossed to three times per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

W2D3 Completed today, despite a near fatal wardrobe malfunction on the treadmill lol

*note to self, buy pants with a drawstring so they don't fall down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi, I was just wondering if you can skip your rest days and run everyday. Maybe not at the start but when could you begin to run everday as oppossed to three times per week?

Increase it to 4 times then 5 for a few weeks and see how you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

bluewolf wrote: »
    Increase it to 4 times then 5 for a few weeks and see how you go?

Ha that seems so simple and I never thought of it. Thanks I'll give this a go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is no one specific answer to that question. It is best to build up gradually, get comfortable with 3 days a week then add a short easy run on a fourth day, for example. Your body takes time to adapt to running so I wouldn't be in any rush to get to 7 days a week as there is a good chance that you will end up injured if you do. "Too much too soon" is something that can be quite a problem with people who are just starting out.

My own experience is that I tend to find that running 5 days a week works well for me, and I'm hoping to be able to increase that to 6 days a week soon - that said, I'm just under 3 years running.
    *note to self, buy pants with a drawstring so they don't fall down :rolleyes:

Nearly had a similar disaster on a race day - realised that my running tights (with no drawstring) were a size too big as I was warming up, and I didn't have anything else I could race in. Spent the entire race pulling up my tights which was rather annoying!

• Advertisement

@cheesefiend
    I've run the first 2 weeks of C25K in 7 days :D but I'm repeating the program.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who is a runner and he said you should do a max of 3 days straight and then take a day off (as a beginner), but he also said that it would be better to do C25k as scheduled and do another form of exercise on the rest days.
    When I'm out of the exams I'm going to stick to the set program and do kettlebells on the days I'm not running.

Ran 8km for the first time today since I got injured. Have actually managed to get out for a run 5 times this week, which I'm pretty delighted about - covered just under 20 miles, which is just under half of where I was before Barcelona. Progress! :)

Nearly had a similar disaster on a race day - realised that my running tights (with no drawstring) were a size too big as I was warming up, and I didn't have anything else I could race in. Spent the entire race pulling up my tights which was rather annoying!

Why do they make running pants without a drawstring...I mean ffs its embarrassing when you start losing your trousers when running.
    :rolleyes:

Why do they make running pants without a drawstring...I mean ffs its embarrassing when you start losing your trousers when running.
    :rolleyes:

No idea. Since then it's something I'm extremely careful about when I'm buying running gear though!

No idea. Since then it's something I'm extremely careful about when I'm buying running gear though!

I need to get another pair now, cos the pants are too loose and I'm going to come off the treadmill in an epic fashion if I don't get a pair that will stay up lol

any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Just wondering if I can post in this thread, even though I'm a man? I'm starting the C25K program soon and I thought it would be a good idea to post in here.

I need to get another pair now, cos the pants are too loose and I'm going to come off the treadmill in an epic fashion if I don't get a pair that will stay up lol

any suggestions?

It depends really what you're looking for - for treadmill running, I'd be a year-round shorts girl but not everyone is. Something like these, these (have run 2 marathons in those ones), or these would be what I would wear. You may find capris more comfortable, in which case something like these or these might suit. I wouldn't be too fond of full-length tracksuit bottoms in the gym, too hot and uncomfortable, so I don't really have any recommendations there.

It depends really what you're looking for - for treadmill running, I'd be a year-round shorts girl but not everyone is. Something like these, these (have run 2 marathons in those ones), or these would be what I would wear. You may find capris more comfortable, in which case something like these or these might suit. I wouldn't be too fond of full-length tracksuit bottoms in the gym, too hot and uncomfortable, so I don't really have any recommendations there.

oooh I quite like the 2-in-1 shorts
    I'm currently wearing an xl nike capri, but they are too big :D so need to shift down to the L

I'm currently wearing an xl nike capri, but they are too big :D so need to shift down to the L
    Isn't that a great feeling? :D

They have the 2-in-1 shorts in Arnotts and Champion (if you wanted to get the sizing right), they're just cheaper online.

Isn't that a great feeling? :D

They have the 2-in-1 shorts in Arnotts and Champion (if you wanted to get the sizing right), they're just cheaper online.

tis great, but all my weight is in one place now, I've lost inches everywhere except my mid section. I've no idea what to do about it other than keep running.
    I only eat about 1400 cals a day, more if I've been exercising but never over the set 1400 and whatever I've "earned" by walking/running.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Attempt number 5 million to get back on track a disaster. 2 weeks definitely lost me a lot of progress, taking far too long to recover in breathing and i only did the 20 mins
    sigh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Right, here is some data from my run today (W9D2). I've no idea if I set the thing correctly. Even during the warm up walk it was saying my heartbeat was 38, :confused: but it seemed to be OK later on. RTFM again, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

bluewolf wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluewolf
    has anyone done this one before

http://www.runireland.com/events/bod...n-and-wellness

p.s. this one looks lovely, end of april, anyone else up for it? im going to register soon

Hey, that looks like a good day out, would be interested to try the yoga and activities after the 5K run/walk. I found this link as well www.be5k.ie, looks like fun!

Also, it's technically 6K, but IMRA is a great club to get into and has the first race of their summer league starting this Wednesday in Bray...
    http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/849/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Finished W5D2! And the odd thing is, I'm not dying for breath, collapsed on the couch and wondering who the hell thought exercise was a good idea anyway. I really felt I could have kept going after the first 8 minutes!

I'm still quite apprehensive about the next one, it seems like (another) big jump to do 20 minutes straight....but if i managed today, I can give it a go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Started Week 8 of EI10K, after a week of no running! Always depressing seeing my running speed take a nosedive at the start of each new week but it's worth it to build up the overall time I guess :)

Katy Perry is a BAD influence on me when running, for some reason her songs encourage me to sprint which is all well and good until 30 seconds later when I realise I'm not, in fact, a firework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Back from a nice run around the national park :) I'm so lucky that I live here in regards to running..so many places to go! I plan on getting up early tomorrow for a run before the library.

Seriously need to get some kinda strap from my ipod. Can anyone recommend any? And good headphone? My fall out when I get any bit sweaty :( Also I have one of the original ipod videos...kinda big! :/

I just use a pair of cheap JVC headphones which have a clip that goes over the ear - should be about €12 in HMV. Don't have any recommendations in terms of iPod-carrying devices - I use an iPod Shuffle (clipped to the front of my shorts) when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Gauge wrote: »
    Katy Perry is a BAD influence on me when running, for some reason her songs encourage me to sprint which is all well and good until 30 seconds later when I realise I'm not, in fact, a firework.

My bad influences are Rihanna and Ke$ha - the poppier I get, the faster I want to run - not good when its my warmup and I still have to last 27 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hmm. Might just buy a shuffle with this weekends tips from work. My massive ipod would probably be too heavy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dalzer

Hello all, I've been following your progress for some time now and its been great-especially when I've felt unmotivated- so thank you all! I've been doing the couch25k for about 6 weeks (I started in week 3 as I had been doing a bit of jogging already) but i've repeated some weeks as I found them really hard.. Im just in the door after completing Wk7D3-and it felt great! I am really getting addicted now and cannot believe that 'I' am actually enjoying it- I could never understand why people enjoyed sweating or moving in general! I've been using the 'Get Running' app for the iphone and found it brilliant.. I wish they would make one for 5-10km so I can continue on after I complete the 5km

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think Argos have some cases for iPods, presumably it's the iPod classic you're on about, if it's big. I have one and don't really notice it in my pocket, but it's in my jacket pocket rather than trousers. Nanos might be even smaller again than a shuffle, I can't really remember. Generally go for cheap headphones, user dearer ones for commuting, etc.

I think I'll have to wipe my iPod if I want to create a playlist, otherwise it won't sync properly. Pah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

http://bit.ly/g6PzWy

I have one of these for my iPhone, got it in a sports shop in Dundrum (either Elvery's or the one beside it!) for €20. Well worth it as I use it so much! I doubt it would fit the original ipod but it might be worth having a look in the larger sports shops.

I think I've sprained my toe (it that is even possible :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Hmm. Might just buy a shuffle with this weekends tips from work. My massive ipod would probably be too heavy anyway.

I just use a shuffle too. They're really cheap, less than fifty euro was what I paid for mine. So light you can't even feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w7d2 done woohoo!! I really enjoyed it which I'm delighted and relieved about because I really struggled mentally with my last 2 runs so had to drag myself out today!

Advertisement