Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

intouch44 wrote: »
    w7d2 done woohoo!! I really enjoyed it which I'm delighted and relieved about because I really struggled mentally with my last 2 runs so had to drag myself out today!

Nearly there! Quite a few 5k races coming up in May too, so nicely timed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Are you on commission?

Are you on commission?

Nope! It's just that for a lot of people doing a race at the end of Couch to 5k helps to act as a further motivator to keep them going after the program finishes.

I'm also itching to get back to racing after my injury :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

I bit the bullet and entered my 1st 5k which is at the end of May, think it'll make me stick with it and push myself for the last few sessions (I have a very bad habit of not seeing things through!!:o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Desire. wrote: »
    Just wondering if I can post in this thread, even though I'm a man? I'm starting the C25K program soon and I thought it would be a good idea to post in here.

I wasn't told to go away, not that I expected such comments here.

Final run done, so week 9 and C25K finished. Happy! :) Thanks for encouragement in here - without this thread I'd probably still be a lazy bones in the exercise department. If anyone thinks they can't do it get out there. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Hmm. Might just buy a shuffle with this weekends tips from work. My massive ipod would probably be too heavy anyway.

I use ear buds. I do need to press them in every so often though. But they are not bad. You could probably pick them up for about a tenner.

Look on ebay for ipod straps. They are going for about 20e in the shops but they could be gotten cheaper on the interwebz....

7d3 done :D did approx 4.4km in 25minutes-happy out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 traz

Wow you guys are really inspirational! My cousin told me about the C25K, she did it after having her son, and now loves running. I've always admired runners, and always had the same old thought "I wish I could do that!" but I must admit I never bothered to try. I dont excercise - not my thing - the only form of activity I do is dancing when doing shows, but they dont be going on all year round. So after much pushing from my cousin I thought what the hell?!

So I started on Tuesday my W1D1 and tonight, after work, I have W1D2, and I am quite proud I'm doing it haha! I just hope I keep up the will! Thats always were I flounder lol.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought I was gonna die after D1 and I've aches in muscles I didnt know I even had already but I'm determined!

Keep the posts coming guys, at least I know I'm not the only one lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I have neglected this seriously the last couple of weeks. After the mental block of not being able to complete week 5, I have been playing around with it for ages and putting it off. I did W5D2 last friday but haven't been out (jogging) since. Going away for the bank hol so don't expect to get back to it til Monday the earliest.

Is that too long of a gap to attempt day 3 or should I go back and do another day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Woo, another run down :) I was drenched in sweat afterwards. I think I need to treat myself to one of those sweat-wicking running tops! And definitely some proper socks...

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    I think I need to treat myself to one of those sweat-wicking running tops! And definitely some proper socks...
    Definitely a good investment - once you start wearing wicking t-shirts, you won't go back.

Gauge wrote: »
    Woo, another run down :) I was drenched in sweat afterwards. I think I need to treat myself to one of those sweat-wicking running tops! And definitely some proper socks...

do ya mind me asking what week of the ease to 10k programme your on? do you find it a big step up from c2 5k training?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I jogged around a pitch for a full 8mins today..was shagged so then I walked round for a lap..then tried a mix of jogging and running..
    then died.
    17 mins in total. Its been a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did 20 mins and got winded again

I am broken

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

*cough* showoff Wolf *cough*
    :pac:
    No shame in running being able to run for 20mins straight I say!

papagormo wrote: »
    *cough* showoff Wolf *cough*
    :pac:
    No shame in running being able to run for 20mins straight I say!

It doesn't feel like showing off, I was doing 40 mins with breaks a couple weeks ago :(

You'll get back into it quickly, just keep at it. :)

You'll get back into it quickly, just keep at it. :)

You must be ready to shake me after all the time off you had :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

intouch44 wrote: »
    do ya mind me asking what week of the ease to 10k programme your on? do you find it a big step up from c2 5k training?

I'm on Week 8 (2 more weeks to go!) It wasn't a huge step up, because c25k finishes at 30 minutes, and then I started into EI10k Week 6, which is 4 eight minute runs for a total of 32 minutes.

The only noticeable difference was going from one long run, to several shorter runs.

Monife wrote: »
    I have neglected this seriously the last couple of weeks. After the mental block of not being able to complete week 5, I have been playing around with it for ages and putting it off. I did W5D2 last friday but haven't been out (jogging) since. Going away for the bank hol so don't expect to get back to it til Monday the earliest.

Is that too long of a gap to attempt day 3 or should I go back and do another day?

Anyone? :confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone? :confused:
    Maybe try and get out for a couple of walks while you're away? I'd repeat W5D2 on Monday and see how you get on with that (just because it *is* a big gap between sessions), and then try W5D3 on Wednesday.

Repeated W5D2 today successfully and then some. :D:D

Got to the 8 minutes and felt like I could keep going so I did and I managed 14 minutes. Absolutely delighted with myself. :D:D A couple of months ago, I was severely out of breath after a 1 minute jog, so if I can do it, ANYONE can!!

Re: the earlier discussion of music. For week 5, I am using a podcast (link below for anyone who wants it) and the 3rd song is "Shake it" by Metro Station... I had to do everything in my power to refrain myself from shaking it down the street ha ha

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-5-c25k/

Well I managed to get through my W1D2 session yesterday, and it was actually a little easier than D1 which I was pleasantly surprised at...only thing is trying to ctach my breath, by the 3rd last run I'm gasping, any tips?

traz wrote: »
    Well I managed to get through my W1D2 session yesterday, and it was actually a little easier than D1 which I was pleasantly surprised at...only thing is trying to ctach my breath, by the 3rd last run I'm gasping, any tips?

Just stick with it. When I started it, I thought I was going to collapse, today I jogged 14 minutes and my breathing was fine, although at around 12 minutes my chest got quite tight, the cool down walk fixed that though.

It does get easier, by week 2 you're breathing should be much better.

EDIT: And I am a smoker, so if I can do it, and my breathing got better after week 1, then you should be fine.

Just stick with it. When I started it, I thought I was going to collapse, today I jogged 14 minutes and my breathing was fine, although at around 12 minutes my chest got quite tight, the cool down walk fixed that though.

It does get easier, by week 2 you're breathing should be much better.

EDIT: And I am a smoker, so if I can do it, and my breathing got better after week 1, then you should be fine.

Thanks a mil, that makes me feel much better about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Week 5 complete :)at the end, the voice on the Get Running app says "You've just run for 20 minutes with no break, so now you can definitely call yourself a runner!"

So....I AM A RUNNER!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yay. Going for a run in the morning with my friend. But grr the rally is on down here...hope too many of those rally feckers aren't around.

w8d1 done!!! my legs were stiff before hand so i was really aware of them but i did it- 28 mins of non stop running woohoo :D (hope i can walk tomorrow!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Tried Week 6 Day 1, even though I'm supposed to rest until tomorrow. I just needed to get away from all the studying!

First 5 minutes, fine. Then the 8 minute started, and my right shin (not the front, but kind of to the side) got sore....I kept going for 3.5 minutes and had to stop :(

I'm going to take a hot shower, stretch it out, massage it a little and rest up for the evening. Take 2 is tomorrow.

I'm pretty disheartened; I have a date that I want to finish this program by (the week I go on holidays with my boyfriend). I'm well on track to finish by then, but any minor setback like this seems to hit me hard. Gah. Just keep swimming!

• Advertisement

leixlip is this weekend already :eek:

Advertisement