Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bluewolf wrote: »
    leixlip is this weekend already :eek:

You'll be grand :)

(or to scare people some more, today is 5 weeks to the Women's Mini-Marathon ;) )

Just under 4 weeks now until I'm racing again - cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I just bought new shorts..... :D
    849512794_260.jpg
    Cannot wait to get them

Hopefully another week and a half till I have time to run again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You'll be grand :)

(or to scare people some more, today is 5 weeks to the Women's Mini-Marathon ;) )

Just under 4 weeks now until I'm racing again - cannot wait!

Will you be at leixlip?

I just bought new shorts..... :D
    849512794_260.jpg
    Cannot wait to get them

Hopefully another week and a half till I have time to run again! :)

I have 2 pairs of those (blue and grey, and all black) and kinda want another pair - they are so comfortable :D
    Will you be at leixlip?

Nope - first race back will be the Donore Summer 5k in the Phoenix Park on May 28, then doing a relay leg in Cork the week after that. Goal race is Dunshaughlin 10k on June 25.

Oh lord I should get shorts/capris quickly as well - need to practice in them before saturday

• Advertisement

about 5mins managed before winded and stitch :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i officially cant run

about 5mins managed before winded and stitch :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i officially cant run

Bad day at the office. :(

Sometime I'll have to get some of ye out for a group run....

Bad day at the office. :(

Sometime I'll have to get some of ye out for a group run....

If I can go running with you sometime I might get better!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Went for my first run without the C25K programme yesterday, no headphones or tunes. Went well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Went for my first run without the C25K programme yesterday, no headphones or tunes. Went well. :)

can't imagine running with no music! do you find it much harder? its partly whats putting me off entering a race-aren't headphones a big no no for most of them?

• Advertisement

pampootie wrote: »
    can't imagine running with no music! do you find it much harder? its partly whats putting me off entering a race-aren't headphones a big no no for most of them?

Depends on the race. Some races have an absolute "no headphones" rule. It's generally there for safety reasons. Bigger races don't tend to have this rule in place, and you'll see a lot of people wearing them - for example, a huge proportion of the field for a race like the Great Ireland Run or the Women's Mini-Marathon will be using them. It's still generally discouraged though.

You'd be amazed though at how well you cope in a race situation without them. I know that when I'm racing I want to be aware of what my body is doing and how much I can push myself rather than concentrating on my music - and I train with music or podcasts all the time. First race I did without my headphones was actually my first marathon, I had no idea how I'd cope for four and a half hours without them, but it was fine - and I got into so many fun conversations with people along the way that it was totally worth leaving the iPod at home.

If it's a major issue for you though, look up the race rules - it should be stated there if there is a ban or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It took a while to adjust to, yeah. I've a playlist created now I've finished the C25K thing and was going to use it, but didn't want to get carried away. I know that if I ever put a slight foot wrong and a thick driver is nearby an earful might be likely... Anyway, I found that during the longer C25Ks I wasn't really listening to the music, mostly felt that my body was in flow with making the effort of running. So, not having the podcasts and having background traffic as a soundtrack instead was definitely a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Today I finally gave up just lurking in this forum and went out and started my C25K, w1d1 done!!! Feels great, though didn't feel so good by my 6th run! Never knew 60 secs could feel so long!!! But at least I finally did it! Go me! :D

It took a while to adjust to, yeah. I've a playlist created now I've finished the C25K thing and was going to use it, but didn't want to get carried away. I know that if I ever put a slight foot wrong and a thick driver is nearby an earful might be likely... Anyway, I found that during the longer C25Ks I wasn't really listening to the music, mostly felt that my body was in flow with making the effort of running. So, not having the podcasts and having background traffic as a soundtrack instead was definitely a change.

hmmn-might give it a bash this evening, just to see. i'd be the opposite though, found i needed the music all the more on the longer runs to distract me! although i've been doing 30 min runs for a couple of weeks now so i should be able to do it music-less if i put my mind to it i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Week 8 of EI10k done :eek:

I am sweaty. Very very sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w8d2 done at 7.00 a.m. ! i'm not a morning person but just wanted it done, really enjoyed the run :)

intouch44 wrote: »
    w8d2 done at 7.00 a.m. ! i'm not a morning person but just wanted it done, really enjoyed the run :)

Fair play to you! I can't handle morning running at all, wish I could.

Gauge wrote: »
    Fair play to you! I can't handle morning running at all, wish I could.

I'm the same - can't run in the mornings at all and I wish I could because I don't really get long enough at lunchtime to run then either. Will be heading out for my run at about 9.30pm tonight because of that...

I prefer night runs, noone out really to get in your way, the bad thing is that none of the friendly doggies would be out for a little run with you. Love stopping to pet all the lovely doggies out during the day! :)

Oh man, I cannot wait to get back to running. My order has been dispatched from nikestore. I cannot wait to get these shorts! :)

My order has been dispatched from nikestore. I cannot wait to get these shorts! :)

I'm probably going to order another pair, when I can decided which colour I want! I like the purple, but they would clash with quite a few shirts I have, I don't like the turquoise ones, I have nothing that would go with the ones with the green undershorts, and the black and pink ones would match my Barcelona marathon t-shirt and very little else.

First world problems :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm probably going to order another pair, when I can decided which colour I want! I like the purple, but they would clash with quite a few shirts I have, I don't like the turquoise ones, I have nothing that would go with the ones with the green undershorts, and the black and pink ones would match my Barcelona marathon t-shirt and very little else.

First world problems :pac:

I might have a look out for the all black ones. I'll test them out when I get them. The green is toned down in that picture. They are crazy ass green. My mum was standing about looking confused as I was going gaga over the shorts! <3 I love colour! I'll probably be wearing a yellow shirt for the mini marathon. Green and yellow should go! :P Noone can miss me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Did about 5 and a half k this morning - longest run since I hurt my knee. It still is a bit uncomfortable really, but felt so good to be back out. Although the wind was insane and I was going uphill so very nearly didn't make it! :pac:

that was sh!t and i'm not doing leixlip :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

w1d2 done! Nearly didn't go out coz of the weather, but eventually convinced myself to and so glad I did!

Angelandie wrote: »
    w1d2 done! Nearly didn't go out coz of the weather, but eventually convinced myself to and so glad I did!

"You're only one run away from a good mood" is one of my favourite mantras :D

I tried to get a gait analysis done in Elvery's last night but stupidly forgot to check their closing times and got their 5 minutes before they were closing so no new runners for me! The guy did take a very quick video of me running and said I was turning my feet out really badly... as in, REALLY badly and that I'd need a pair of proper shoes to correct it :eek:

I feel a bit crap now tbh, I didn't get a chance to ask if it was something I could have avoided by being more careful about how I ran so now I'm afraid it's all my fault and I've messed up my feet :( I've never had any pain or anything when running so I had no idea there were any issues.

Did a 35 min run in the belting rain this evening. Really enjoyed it, got soaked but it was lovely coming in and hopping into a hot shower after. Need to get a proper running top for rain though-saturated cotton gets very heavy!

tried my run with no music the other night-didn't enjoy it as much, i like having my tunes! but i could see how with the atmosphere of a race you might not miss it so much, so gonna have a look for a 5k and sign myself up :)

Pampootie - for a 5k you will be grand without your music, sure it'll be over in around half an hour anyway!

My credit card got a bit busy tonight. I bought

new shoes (Mizuno Wave Alchemy 10) - with 6 running days a week I need to rotate shoes, ended up having to stuff my Kayanos with yesterday's Indo after my run last night to get them dry for tonight...
    41590.jpg

shorts
    43843.jpg

and socks (there is backstory here, involving a bet and various posters on the A/R/T forum)
    39002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

All for me! :D

Nike-Indy-Strappy-Reversible-Womens-Sports-Bra-380536_543_A.png

Nike-Filament-Womens-Running-Tights-405335_010_A.png

912674_black-black-white_1.jpg

And now I'm actually going to go for a run!

Got my shorts in the post today. Here very quick. I might head out Sunday night to stretch my legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Love those shorts rainbow, so pretty :) did you buy online or in store?

Advertisement