Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I bought online. Everything in my post there was bought from Start Fitness - needed shoes, decided to grab a couple of other bits too while I was at it because it wasn't going to increase the shipping cost.

Nike clothes are dead easy to buy online because I find the sizing very consistent, I know that I'll always be a medium and that it *will* fit. Also, pretty much online running store worth its salt has them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Those shorts will be a nice reward for finishing the programme I think, I'm a strong believer in rewards :p

intouch44 wrote: »
    Those shorts will be a nice reward for finishing the programme I think, I'm a strong believer in rewards :p

Where are you at with the program now?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what tops/t-shirts would do for this, anything that's 100% polyester seems to stink
    even just as an ordinary layer for daily use

Pretty much any normal wicking shirt should be fine. Cotton just holds the moisture against your skin in a really horrible way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

(Finally) W5D3 COMPLETE!!!! :D:D:D Absolutely delighted with myself.

I have been battling with week 5 for about 3 weeks. Alot of mental blocks, "I can't do it", a few fails, "Maybe running isn't for me"... I don't know what happened today but I just said to myself, I am going to run 20 minutes today.

Now, I wanted to stop after 5 minutes, and then again after 10 minutes but I just kept saying to myself, just go to the next lamp post, ok now the next traffic light and before I knew it 15 minutes had passed, and I thought to myself, if I can do 15 minutes, I can do 20 minutes. I was listening to a podcast (for c25k) and I was sure the 20 minute run ended at the end of the 2nd last song and I thought to myself "Ok just 3 more minutes, you can do it" but to my surprise, 1 minute into the 2nd last song, the woman on the podcast was like "Well done, you have completed your 20 minute run!" Delighted!!!

For anyone who thinks they can't do it, if I can, YOU DEFINITELY CAN!

Last November, I was 18 stone 3lb, walking up the stairs I was out of breath, I drove to the shop down the road, never exercised in my life. Now I am 15 stone 1.5lb, not from the running although I am sure it helped (doing weightwatchers aswell) and I CAN RUN 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't even out of breath!!!

Have to say this is one of the best things I have ever decided to do and it is so rewarding!

Yay Monife, that's fantastic :D

Where are you at with the program now?

due to do w8d3 today :)

YAY I did it! w8d3 finished :D Up until now I had been running around a track, 6laps= 5k so I had a fair idea of where I was at time wise. Today I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone and do a completely different run (in the woods). I was a bit nervous that it would be painfully long as I wouldn't know when the time prompts were coming- am delighted it flew by and I really enjoyed it :D

Monife Congratulations on your brilliant weight loss- Well Done :)

Sometimes it's nice to get a change of scenery, running in the woods sounds lovely!

Only a week to go for you too, nearly there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Have been reading this thread for a while and it's been a pretty good motivator. I did the c25k programme last year but only got as far as w8d3 and stopped because of injury :-/ am just after finishing w6d3 of couch to 10k in preparation for a leg of the cork marathon. Should get to week 10 before the big day. Anyway, was just wondering what people would suggest wearing if it's raining on the day. I did the 2nd leg two years ago in the scorching heat and was not prepared in terms of training and was wearing a cotton t-shirt(big mistake!) I'm grand if the weather is good(wicking top and capris).

Same thing as what you would wear if the weather is good. I personally prefer shorts to capris in the rain (less material to cling around your legs), but if you're comfortable in capris there is not much point in changing. Ask the person on the next relay leg to bring a bag out to the relay changeover point for you with a rainjacket and/or some dry stuff too if it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Attempted W1D1 again today, since it'd been a few weeks since I attempted to start. Only made it half ways when I started wheezing, and realised I'd left my inhaler at home. Running against the wind probably wasn't my wisest idea.... feeling angry at myself for not finishing, but I went for a longer slow walk to somewhat make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Just finished W1D3!!! Can't believe I actually finished a week... off to treat myself now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

intouch44 wrote: »
    I agree. My present to myself when I finish the programme is going to be a Garmin Forerunner. I wanted to get one before but couldn't be sure that I would actually use it. Finishing the programme will confirm to me that I have become serious runner!

Did W6D2 today. Got a terrible stitch about 2 mins before the end but was determined not to stop and slowed down to the slowest jog possible - I'd say walkers would have overtaken me but the important thing is that I kept going!

I just had a quick look ahead at the rest of the programme and realised that today was my last day of starting and stopping - it's non-stop runs from here on in! :eek: So I don't think I'll bother with the podcasts any more and will use a stopwatch and my own music. Hmm, must have a think about what music would be good to run to...

Be||e wrote: »
    So I don't think I'll bother with the podcasts any more and will use a stopwatch and my own music. Hmm, must have a think about what music would be good to run to...

That's pretty much what I did. Picked a more mellow song for a 5 minute warmup, filled up 25 minutes with some of my favourite songs to run to, then picked something more chilled to cool down. Can be quite a bit more enjoyable than the crappy podcast music! :pac:

That's pretty much what I did. Picked a more mellow song for a 5 minute warmup, filled up 25 minutes with some of my favourite songs to run to, then picked something more chilled to cool down. Can be quite a bit more enjoyable than the crappy podcast music! :pac:

I made my own podcasts for week 3 and 4 because I was getting seriously de-motivated with the crappy music. When I got to week 5 though I couldn't be bothered because of the different runs on each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Doing a class in the gym later but gonna do a wee 5k run after on the treadmill. It's way too windy and rainy for me to go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

havent gone for a run in about 8 days, bah need to sort that this evening, should I go back a week? was on week 4 day 1, might do week 3 again

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Have been lurking, reading this thread for awhile now so am going to stick my tuppence worth.

I was off sick for 2 weeks and wasnt running and I was dreading going back as I thought I would be at the start again but I wasnt at all. Keep going with whatever week you are on and if you need to take a minute to catch a breath then do. You will be surprised at yourself.

good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can run again thank FCUK i can RUN again!!!

smashed that wall like a boss :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Novella wrote: »
    Doing a class in the gym later but gonna do a wee 5k run after on the treadmill. It's way too windy and rainy for me to go out!

The class happened but there was no way in hell my jelly legs were gonna do 5k after! Maybe tomorrow!

Novella wrote: »
    Maybe tomorrow!
    It's tomorrow now. Out you go. :)

w2d1 done! Have to motivate myself to get out there each time but wen I do go out I really enjoy it, hopefully soon I'll look forward to each run...

W6D1 FAIL :(

I should have known as I was wrecked from work but wanted to keep up the momento and not fall back into the slip of doing it once a week.

Come to think about it, I haven't completed a run after work in over 3 weeks. I don't know if it is physical or mental tiredness. Hope this goes away as I can't do the program once a week :(

w9d1 done YIPEEEEEEEEEEE :D my legs were like jelly for the first 30secs of the cool down walk and I'm very aware of them right now!!! But I don't care I ran for 30 mins non-stop and the last 10 of that was in the rain WOOHOO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Have been lurking, reading this thread for awhile now so am going to stick my tuppence worth.

I was off sick for 2 weeks and wasnt running and I was dreading going back as I thought I would be at the start again but I wasnt at all. Keep going with whatever week you are on and if you need to take a minute to catch a breath then do. You will be surprised at yourself.

good luck.
    I was the very same! I was sick and had about 2 weeks off in the middle of week 5. I was apprehensive about starting again as I thought I wouldn't be at the same level any more and partly because I was scared of the 20 minute run on day 3.

But when I pushed myself to go out again, it was tough but I completed it! It just goes to show how the early weeks contribute to building up your fitness, bit by bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not making much headway in going beyond 30 minutes, though I've not tried all that hard. Suitably tired after tonight's run, tried to up the pace a bit.

Have gotten the sister into C25K now and another person is now suitably Garminised... :rolleyes: :p

am due to do w9d2 today but my left ankle is a little sore only since yest, what should I do? chance it or rest?

• Advertisement

w2d3 done! Absolutely drenched though! Feckin rain! If this keeps up will need to get some Capri pants, nearly lost my trackies as they got waterlogged :o

Advertisement