Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

ok so after an 8 day break I finally went back out tonight, managed about 3k, really enjoyed the run so will hopefully stick with it and gradually increase the distance. my last 2 'failure' runs were both in the morning so gonna try stick with the evening runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Haven't run in over a week because of the flu. Still trying to shake the last of it (stuffed nose) and am going to go out tmw. Had just finished w3 and wondering should I give w4d1 a try or repeat w3d3 just to get me started again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you've been ill, I'd say repeat one of the week 3 sessions and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RubyLamb

Howdy everyone!

I've been following this thread for a good while now, its inspired me to start the C25K. I've just finished W4 D3 (where I wasn't looking where I was going and stepped in dog poo :mad: argh!) I'm kinda dreading Week 5 though... it looks a lot harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I'm starting C25K now on Friday! :)

• Advertisement

Desire. wrote: »
    I'm starting C25K now on Friday! :)

Good luck!

Should be back on the road myself in the next couple of days, have only done one short test run since late May due to being sick. Badly-timed bug fecked up my Donore 5k, meant I couldn't run on my relay team in Cork and is going to put me out of the 10k I was planning on doing on 25 June. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Hey!

I just did W1D1 today and I feel amazing after it. My knees are a little sore and my back but apart from that I am bursting for Saturday to do it again.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has started doing any light weight training in order to tone up?

I am thin and lean by nature and I am not doing this to lose weight but to get fit. I'm a little worried if I only run that I will get slimmer which is a no no for me.

Anyone else in this boat?

I also met other women out doing the same thing at different stages. It is a great motivator to see this. Fair play to you all. :)

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Hey!

I just did W1D1 today and I feel amazing after it. My knees are a little sore and my back but apart from that I am bursting for Saturday to do it again.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has started doing any light weight training in order to tone up?

I am thin and lean by nature and I am not doing this to lose weight but to get fit. I'm a little worried if I only run that I will get slimmer which is a no no for me.

Anyone else in this boat?

I also met other women out doing the same thing at different stages. It is a great motivator to see this. Fair play to you all. :)

Weight training is good cross-training for runners, it's definitely worthwhile. I don't do any myself, but I really should!

Weight training is good cross-training for runners, it's definitely worthwhile. I don't do any myself, but I really should!

Thanks for the post.

Any ideas where I may start looking for a program for it or do you know what is involved?

Stumptuous.com would be a good starting point, as would the Health and Fitness forum here.

• Advertisement

Stumptuous.com would be a good starting point, as would the Health and Fitness forum here.

Thanks for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I went for a run this evening for the first time in over three weeks (had to take a break for a number of reasons).

I had been on the second last week of C25K and decided I would try for the full 30 minute run today, as I was raring to go after the break.

And... I did it!! I reckon I covered about 5.5k altogether (including warm up and cool down). Yay! So proud of myself. :D

I'm thinking about signing up for a race now to keep myself motivated. And I must order that Garmin Forerunner I promised myself! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hadn't run in about 2 weeks (I know!) and had been on w9d1 the last day so I was so close. Was expecting the first run back to be horrific but weirdly it was one of my better runs. My lungs were complaining a tiny bit but it was nowhere near as bad as it would be. Graduating after my next run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I just did W1 D1 finally...I've been dying to start this for monthes. Was a bit scared but have to say I'm really impressed with it as just as you feel you are about to die than your get to walk for a bit :p

I'm excited as I really would love to actually just go out for a run some day...I think it looks like a good destresser.

Just wanted to know if there are any other ex smokers doing this and how did you get on. I can really feel just how distroyed my lungs really are :(

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Hi, I started the c25k a couple of months back and got to week three but college got a bit hectic and I never got back to starting week four. Last week I decided to start again at week one but found it much tougher than I had before because I've been so inactive for the past couple of months. The problem is that the day after I go running my muscles are really sore. I've been stretching before and after runs but my last run was two days ago and my muscles are still very sore. Should I just push through it and go running again today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I would say keep going. It's just your body getting used to the running again, so if you keep at it, it should adapt.

Wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to comment first though.

Ok thanks Desire. I think I will just go out and try again today. I'm determined to get in shape. I won't push myself too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

Hi cheesefiend,

How are your trainers? the shock absorbtion could be gone in them that will increase the shock and strain throughout your body, hope you feel better soon

sara-lou wrote: »
    Hi cheesefiend,

How are your trainers? the shock absorbtion could be gone in them that will increase the shock and strain throughout your body, hope you feel better soon

Oh thanks sara-lou, yes this really could be it now that you mention it! My trainers are quite old. Can anyone recommend some good ones that aren't too expensive?

Best thing you could do at this point would be to go and get a gait analysis done (at a running-specific shop) - they will recommend you a pair of trainers that will be suited to your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

With running shoes you kind of get what you pay for to be honest. A walking runner will cost about 50 but for running you need more cushioning and support because it is higher impact so for a decent jogging to running shoe you can pay anything from 60 - 140.

Gait anaysis is very good but even if you don't have a store handy any decent sports shop SHOULD have somebody that will give you good advice. I have plenty of info if ya want to PM me i can recommend a decent few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Week 2 day 1 today...absolutely stunning morning to be out so I even went out for a 5k cycle after.

Anyway, I've been having a cold shower for a few mins concentrating on the relevent muscles...will this actually help?

I've not had any pain or anything but I do have a weird tight feeling up the very front of the lower legs...I can't think what strech to do for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Just in from doing W1D1 of the C25k........... Loved it!!
    Cannot wait to go on the next run :-)

Just in from doing W1D1 of the C25k........... Loved it!!
    Cannot wait to go on the next run :-)

One of us, one of us! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think i'm just going to go back and do week 5 onwards again or something :o:o
    well except w5d1, i might have to loop that twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Right so I started the C25k last year and got to week 4 before I gave up.
    DId it again this year and got to week 5 before I gave up.

Is it really sad to start over again? I just can't get myself past when it starts to get tough (I also hate running in my local park cause it's tiny and I feel everyone's looking at me, for that reason I don't run at weekends when there is loads of people).
    I do genuinely want to be able to run but I'm astmatic and really suck at running (not a natural athlete at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Looking for some advice on what the best things to wear running are ladies! I'm going to start C25K soon, and have never run before in my life. I used to lift weights and do a little kickboxing, but I haven't done any exersise in around nine months now .So I'm probably very unfit, but I'm really looking forward to starting into the program. I downloaded Audacity last night and am currently trying to figure out how to put a playlist together!

Anyway, I was just wondering what you all wear running? Shorts? T-shirt/vest? I presume most other things would be too heavy? I'm going to get a gait analysis done this week as I need new runners and am hoping it will be worth investing in a decent pair, but other than that I'm not sure if there are certain clothes that are better for running in. Probably a really stupid question, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

dammitjanet, it's not sad at all, if at first you don't succeed and all that :) If you hate the park find somewhere else to run, try heading in the opposite direction of where you usually go... sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference! And there's nothing sad about starting over, I started over twice, you'll get there in the end.

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Anyway, I was just wondering what you all wear running? Shorts? T-shirt/vest? I presume most other things would be too heavy? I'm going to get a gait analysis done this week as I need new runners and am hoping it will be worth investing in a decent pair, but other than that I'm not sure if there are certain clothes that are better for running in. Probably a really stupid question, sorry!
    At this time of year, shorts and a t-shirt is what I find most comfortable - but others will wear capris (the 3/4 length leggings) all year round. A light technical t-shirt is well worth it (think Nike Dri-Fit or Adidas Climacool, that sort of thing). Get a good sports bra too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back from my holidays and back to running this evening. I was in Chicago for a bit and it seems like a very running city - around the streets, down at the beach, rollerblading and the like. It felt like every other local was out exercising!

Advertisement