Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I accidentally skipped onto w8d1 today, was wondering why the first half seemed so long! Anyway, it's done, so I'm going to continue on with w8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

W4D1 done today and I feel a rant coming on...don't get me wrong I still love the programe and am so excited that I may be actually a runner but there are a couple of things p!ssing me off today...

First would be the fact that I go so bloody red...I know everyone goes red and that hopefully at some point i will go less red but at the moment I go proper tomato red.

Second, I think I'm finally pushing past the painfull lung bit and so hopefully maybe repairing the damage but now I'm starting to feel the other sore parts and today it was my calfs screaming at me.

And my biggest rant is about other people trying to talk to me when I'm out do the C25k. I know they are jkust being polite and give a nod or say hello but I'm obviously concentrating on what I'm doing so I don't want to talk. And than today as I was doing my cool down walk and yes I was a red, sweaty mess, this old man who I had passed a couple of times stops me and starts saying stuff like "consistency is key" and "try running on the grass". At first I didn;t mind as I think he was just being helpful but than he said the next time you reach for a piece of bread ave a glass of water!!

I've no idea why that pissed me off so much but now I'm cranky...think I'll just have to go back to 6am runs as there is no one about than.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Arragh.
    Anyone got any good solutions for tight calves? I've been stretching till I'm blue in the face and they're still giving me problems. Really making me struggle on rising ground :(

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    W4D1 done today and I feel a rant coming on...don't get me wrong I still love the programe and am so excited that I may be actually a runner but there are a couple of things p!ssing me off today...

First would be the fact that I go so bloody red...I know everyone goes red and that hopefully at some point i will go less red but at the moment I go proper tomato red.

Second, I think I'm finally pushing past the painfull lung bit and so hopefully maybe repairing the damage but now I'm starting to feel the other sore parts and today it was my calfs screaming at me.

And my biggest rant is about other people trying to talk to me when I'm out do the C25k. I know they are jkust being polite and give a nod or say hello but I'm obviously concentrating on what I'm doing so I don't want to talk. And than today as I was doing my cool down walk and yes I was a red, sweaty mess, this old man who I had passed a couple of times stops me and starts saying stuff like "consistency is key" and "try running on the grass". At first I didn;t mind as I think he was just being helpful but than he said the next time you reach for a piece of bread ave a glass of water!!

I've no idea why that pissed me off so much but now I'm cranky...think I'll just have to go back to 6am runs as there is no one about than.

I go so red too, and I run in a really busy area, but I've stopped being embarrassed by it, although it gets a bit ridiculous when I get home and shower and I still have a red face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I can only run when there are no people around. :o

I found a good place to run today though in the middle of the local park. A couple of people walk through with dogs but I don't mind that as I never have to run past them as it's quite a big area and can avoid them easily.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm normally not too bad about the red face just a bit more irritable about every this morning really!!

Although I do think it is embarrassing when it's ages after and you've had a shower and changed and than noone knows why your face is so red.

Also, my calves are getting quite tight too even with streching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

I did my first couch to 5K run earlier in the week and really enjoyed it even though haven't run since I was at school (10 years ago!)

Going to do my second one tonight so hope I can keep my motivation up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This day 3 years ago I started Couch to 5k :D

Can I ask Rainbow Kirby...can you remember when you began to feel "comfortable" running?

I did w4d3 on a treadmill today. I bought a pair of "running" runners and as they were so exspensive they recommened trying them out on a treadmill so I could being them back. Not sure how I feel about them...they felt a little bit tight but they are new so...I've don't think I've ever spent over €100 on any type of shoe so I think thats why I'm thinking about them so much just don't want to have made a mistake with them.

The treadmill is weird as well as I think in a way its easier on the the knees but than as I could see the distance/time I ended up almost doubling the programme to make it to 5k. I did 5k in 48 min...so bloody slow :( I was really hoping to make it 40min but didn't want to push it. Than I went for a swim and could only do 1000m in 30min. Why did I ever start smoking, I feel so upset about this today as its really should me how distroyed my lungs are.:(

Can I ask Rainbow Kirby...can you remember when you began to feel "comfortable" running?
    Had a few runs in the last week or so of Couch to 5k where I felt good, then suddenly did a 45 minute run one night and felt great afterwards. My first 10k also stands out as a particularly nice, comfortable run (despite the ice) - this was in December '08, just under 5 months after I started running. There are still tough days though, completely messed up my food yesterday (only had a cup of coffee after 1pm and ran at 9pm) and had to bail out of a speed session because I just didn't have the energy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Last night I finished C25K. Can anyone reccomend a similar plan for 10K. Ive looked around and all the plans I've found have me running 4 miles a day. I was going to post the question i the Running forum. But I thought maybe I might be better of posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Last night I finished C25K. Can anyone reccomend a similar plan for 10K. Ive looked around and all the plans I've found have me running 4 miles a day. I was going to post the question i the Running forum. But I thought maybe I might be better of posting here.

Bridge to 10K.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

Lads I have no motivation and I'd love to start running but I'm mortified that me bits will wobble and people will stare!

I know its a stupid excuse but very self conscious!

^^^
    I'm in week 5 so I'm very new to this running lark but so far I see running as more of a head game than I thought it would be.

You know your self, it feels embarrassing now but the only way to get over it is to go out and get good at it. So bit of a vicious circle, you want to run but embarrassed by wobble bits, red face, etc. But the wobble bits, red face,etc don't changed cause your not out running!

For me the first couple of times I felt really self consious but I don't feel it too much now but cause I'm now concentrating on improving on the last run.

If you want it may be easier to go to a gym, or else go to a park early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lads I have no motivation and I'd love to start running but I'm mortified that me bits will wobble and people will stare!

I know its a stupid excuse but very self conscious!

go at night time or first thing in the morning like some of us started with :)

nobody will stare though really, everyone's out doing it

If you look at the field for any race, you're going to see all shapes and sizes there - not everyone will be the racing snake build, there are plenty of red faces and wobbly bits on display. They all started somewhere - so can you. :)

If you're self-conscious, this is a good time of year to start too - given that parks are open early in the morning and late at night, you'll pretty much have the place to yourself at these times.

w8d2 finished. It was difficult tonight, but I can't complain, really, as I haven't run in a week :o

I really wish the thread was divided up into weeks. Im on week four now. Id love to be able to read how everyone else got on at week four , and then five and six. Without having to dearch thru the whole thread. Sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I really wish the thread was divided up into weeks. Im on week four now. Id love to be able to read how everyone else got on at week four , and then five and six. Without having to dearch thru the whole thread. Sigh

You could try searching for: "w4d1"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this the app to try for 10k?

I'd need to get an armband first, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Been running again. And gyming! I've been working 60 hour/6 day weeks (and still am) and have decided to choose exercise over social life for a bit...don't like being unfit! Did 7K on the treadmill today. Felt so good after it :)

Did the 20 min jog today...I'm over the moon that I did as its the longest by far I have ever run non stop my whole life.

Did it on the treadmill which is cheating a bit but I kept the pace consistent at 7.4 so very happy with that.

What a great feeling...although I also feel like I could eat a herd of cattle.

Did the 20 min jog today...I'm over the moon that I did as its the longest by far I have ever run non stop my whole life.

Did it on the treadmill which is cheating a bit but I kept the pace consistent at 7.4 so very happy with that.

What a great feeling...although I also feel like I could eat a herd of cattle.

Well done, Ophiopogon!

I did w8d3 today. I got through it okay, but I think I might repeat it, instead of moving onto w9d1, but I'll wait and see how I feel on the day.

Okay after attempting w1d1 of ei10k, I realised I have got really unfit after my break from running. I may have to start c25k again :o:o:o:o

on the plus side, i'm really glad i got those cutoff pants, they're so much better for running in :pac:

Maybe try a week of the last interval week of Couch to 5k and then try week 1 of EI10k?

Maybe try a week of the last interval week of Couch to 5k and then try week 1 of EI10k?

week 1 of ei10k was 3 mins / 1 min and I was burning after the 2nd interval...I had to walk for about 5 mins and I was still panting and very winded.
    I'll try a week of somewhere along the line of c25k and gauge where I'm at, but I suspect it's near the beginning again. I pushed as much as I could today but I definitely need big steps back!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Okay after attempting w1d1 of ei10k, I realised I have got really unfit after my break from running. I may have to start c25k again :o:o:o:o

c:

Yeep, how much of a break did you take. Days. weeks, months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Looking for some advice.

I did day one of week 1. It was tough going but i got through.

Second day i tried it after 2 days off and my ankles were really sore. I just had to walk and not run.

I am a member of a gym and i run on the threadmill. The ankle pain happens every now and again, but no way of the level i felt on day 2.

Should i just stick with the gym or will the initial ankle / shin pain go after a while?

I am male, 36 and 17 stone.

Many thanks people.

Yeep, how much of a break did you take. Days. weeks, months?

Ehm, a month or two... I think... :o

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

I did day one of week 1. It was tough going but i got through.

Second day i tried it after 2 days off and my ankles were really sore. I just had to walk and not run.

I am a member of a gym and i run on the threadmill. The ankle pain happens every now and again, but no way of the level i felt on day 2.

Should i just stick with the gym or will the initial ankle / shin pain go after a while?

I am male, 36 and 17 stone.

Many thanks people.
    Hi Moonboy,

We can't give out any specific medical advice here, but a few general suggestions:

- Have you been fitted properly for a pair of running shoes? If not, then it would be a good idea.
    - Stretch your calf muscles after working out.
    - Some discomfort is pretty normal when you are just starting out, particularly if you are carrying a bit of extra weight, as your muscles and joints adjust to the extra strain. If what you are feeling could better be described as "pain" rather than "discomfort", then it would be worthwhile getting it checked out.

Advertisement