Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

After a ridiculously long break having completed the program I have decided to put the runners back on and get out there, decided to start back at w4, gives me a while to psych myself up for the big 20 min run!!!

I'm sticking with it this time, gonna find a local 5k run, enter it and actually do it :o

Will post my progress in here, more as a self motivator than anything else!! (If I know someone is reading my progress it'll shame me into doing it I hope!!)

So here goes- W4 D1 Done and it was hard but I felt great after it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Well...in week 8 and have done something to my hamstring :(.

Have a pulling type pain at the back of my knee. I'm doing the RICE thing today which seems to be helping. Think I just got too excited and over did it on mon and tue.

Hopefully after a few days off it will be ok as i want to do the rathfarnham race. BALLS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Look after it, and if it doesn't clear up in a few days get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Is anyone planning on running this 5km http://www.greatpinkrun.ie/ at the start of September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

I'm on week 5 of C25k just now and really enjoying it. I have registered for a 5k back home mid September the week after my week 9.

Just saw the post about the great pink run- i'd just be finished week 8 then. Tempted to give it a shot and walk the end if I can't quite manage it. Do you think this is a good idea or should i hold off for the 5k two weeks later?

• Advertisement

Just saw the post about the great pink run- i'd just be finished week 8 then. Tempted to give it a shot and walk the end if I can't quite manage it. Do you think this is a good idea or should i hold off for the 5k two weeks later?

Do both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

Just registered :)

Just registered :)

Good luck! The Great Pink Run looks very beginner-friendly, and flat as a pancake, so you should be fine after 8 weeks of Couch to 5k. Having the date marked will help as motivation too this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w4d2 done- last 5 minutes was tough but pushed myself through it and even quickened up for last 30/40 secs!

I am very lucky to have a massususe for a mother as she seemed to work out whatever was going on with my hamstring.

Still being careful with it though so today was the first day out since tue and I did a very carefull 25 min jog so I think I will restart week 8 on monday....so close!!

• Advertisement

Nearly there! Massage is fantastic for runners, a sports massage might not be the most pleasant thing in the world, but it really does help.

yeah she really got into the muscle which at the time was not pleasent but really felt the benefits after. She said I have short hamstrings so will have to pay more attention to streching them as she predicts they will (if anything) cause me hassle when running. Its a great trade off... all I had to do was make her dinner and a cake for a massage....even got my shoulders done!!

So my big tip for anyone starting up is DO NOT get lazy with your streching and also no cold streching I think. Really did upset me this week thinking that I was nearly out of this running game!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh man that was fun
    okay
    running intervals of 3.5, 3, 2.5x2 (I think it was twice, could have been 3 times, lost track), 2
    walking intervals as above + 1-1.5 mins
    went pretty okay
    nearly 4.5 km covered with that
    sound good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Ah this is where this thread is hiding now! This isn't my first attempt at the C25K, I tried a few times and had to stop due to illness, travel, new job and lazyness. This time I've made it the furthest... to Wk8 Day 1. This time around I feel very optimistic and I'm really enjoying it. I think it's better because I don't allow myself any excuses and I've been taking it slower, i was going too fast the other times and burning myself out. The two months are about laying a good foundation so that you can become faster and build up endurance. Don't be hard on yourself, think light and easy that's the key! My reasons for starting the program: for fitness, so that I can feel better, to cool my eyes after a long day staring at a computer screen and to clear my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Getting an x ray next week so fingers crossed I get the all clear to start back some kind of running or jogging or even fast walking?!

fcuk me, i'm actually getting better already

today:
    3.5/5, 4/4, 3.5/4.5, 3/6 (massive stitch)
    finished off with a nice 1.5min all-out sprint which was damn fun
    I love sprinting
    2 weeks ago i couldnt run 3 min anymore and here i am doing programs and sprints again

beautiful evening out, moon was really low and yellow

in conclusion:
    fyeah.jpg

Wk8d2 was no problem. I have a few queries:

Shouldn't this thread be in fitness? Only saying.

I've been using Carley's podcasts, can someone recommend a 10k podcast?

At the moment I'm wearing dri-fit gear, what running gear should I wear in the colder months? Gloves and a hoody?

What are the best exercises/sports to compliment running?

hatful wrote: »
    Shouldn't this thread be in fitness? Only saying.
    It could also be argued that it should be in A/R/T, but given that there are some female-specific issues that have come up over the 1,000+ posts in the thread it's fine here.
    At the moment I'm wearing dri-fit gear, what running gear should I wear in the colder months? Gloves and a hoody?
    Concentrate on your core and extremities. Everyone's going to have their own things to focus on - but a hat, gloves, long-sleeve tech shirt and windproof jacket are very useful. Get the hat and gloves in Penneys, they're so cheap from there that they are practically disposable. If you wear capris, they should be fine all year round, but you may want to invest in a pair of full-length running tights for the coldest weather. Keep an eye out for Aldi and Lidl's winter running gear - it will be in store before the Dublin Marathon. A pair of YakTrax might be useful to have too if we get more weather like December 2010, also dressing for the weather gets a little more complicated if the temperature dips a long way below zero! Sunglasses are also useful to have, particularly if you run early in the day - the glare from low winter sun can be blinding.
    What are the best exercises/sports to compliment running?
    (In my opinion) Swimming and cycling for cardiovascular fitness, yoga for flexibility, pilates and weight training for core strength.

Hatful there is also a c25k in the running section...its under the training logs.

W8D3 today, wasn't very happy with it. I completed it and kept my time for the week but was just kinda cranky and irritated the whole time, ended up ripping the earphones out half way through as they were annoying me so much.

On a positive note, I bought a pair of hilly socks and am really impressed, there was no rubbing at all which is great because even on a good day I turn into cranky whore if my feeting are hurting.

One week to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Might give this a go at the gym.

Have tried it a few times before but never got very far.

Going to go back to the start of this thread and get the necessary info.

I'll be starting this C25K as a size 16 and my goal is to be size 12 (won't just be doing C25K training) so hopefully I'll make a good bit of progress in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

It's been a while thread. I've stopped running since after the Mini Marathon....god I'm so lazy. I'm planning on starting back so I can run/attempt to run this 10k :)

http://www.korea4expats.com/events-in-korea-DMZ-International-Peace-Marathon-4-Sept-2011-App-Deadline-31-July-Gyeonggi-do-4978.html

I dunno how runs would work in this humidity!

I dunno how runs would work in this humidity!
    Early mornings are your friend, and keep well hydrated.

Race sounds pretty cool btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Early mornings are your friend, and keep well hydrated.

Race sounds pretty cool btw :D

:D I'll have to see how I get out of this town first. I don't have a clue how to get to the DMZ! :O I'd love to have the stamina to do the whole marathon. My brother wants to go see the DMZ too! :D

Thanks for the advice Rainbow Kirby, i'll look out for the running gear in aldi. I finished Wk8 D3 today, I was supposed to do it on Friday but I put it off. I found it tough today, I went out late morning and I hadn't eaten anything, I finished it none the less. I'm trying to decide what to do after next week. I'm considering running five times a week but then I would need some kind of gps, measurement device as I just run round the park rather than on the main roads. Also I'm not sure if I'm willing to devote the extra time to running as opposed to just 3 times a week. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Week 9 day 1!!!! Could not belive I made the 30 mins, really felt Like I just won a race or something...wanted to do it like a pro and hold my hands up in the air thanking my fans. Prob wouldv'e looked like the local nutter :D

Hatful I'm also trying to figure out what I'm going to do after...At the moment I'm doing the full 5 k in 38 mins...the last 8 is a mix of run/walk so I think I'm going to concentrate on getting the 5k in 30 mins before I start to increase the time.

Also on a side note I've lost 3 inches off my waist in the nine weeks without doing anything else really!!

Finished WK9 Day 1 today, the run was enough for me. I was a bit dehydrated, my problem is I'm afraid if I drink too much I'll be caught out. I have to get changed walk to the park, it takes about 20 minutes, then do the run and get the bus sohome all in all it takes a while before i'm near certain facilities :rolleyes:... Will write a longer post when I finish at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Just after starting couch to 5k today! so week 1 day 1 over and i feel great:D....hope i have the willpower and motivation to keep up the program :/

ear infection had me out of action since my last update
    so i went out tonight

3/2.5 x5. that's right, 5, count em, FIVE. With shorter walking intervals. hell yes. and the usual 1-min all-out sprint at the end because i love to sprint :D:D

today's run was brought to you by Sash!, rem, muse, and the letter F for "fcuk yeah"
    :cool::cool::cool:

seriously, running at night is addictive. i actually turned around a did a bit more walking at the end so i could sprint a better distance :o:pac:

all i have to do now is pare down the walking intervals a bit more without compromising speed and i'm going places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Running has got to be the most theraputic exercise in the world!!

Good on you ladies, keep up the good work!
    I'm not doing the C25K training myself, but I run each day for about 45 minutes. Just getting back into the swing of things after having my daughter but it was great for helping lose the baby weight I gained! (back into a size 8 3 months after she was born!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I just started this today -- Delighted with myself ... im majorly unfit and did find the running part tough .... forgot all the roads around here are all uphill :D so Week 1 day 1 done and dusted ...... hopefully onwards and upwards :D

Advertisement