Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Went out for a 40 min run today, bit tough, but made it in the end.
    Went out for another 8 min jog, 2 min walk x 4 yesterday morning. Ended up so close to the 5K mark that I decided to keep going so in the end I did 34 mins jogging instead of 32 but I got to 5K!! Delighted :D:D

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Congratulations!

Thank you! :D
    Went out for a 40 min run today, bit tough, but made it in the end.

You're flying it! You'll be doing 10K soon!

Did another 8min jog, 2 min walk x 4 on Tuesday morning. First day in work and the jog banished any nerves!

This morning did 8.5 x 4 (+2min intervals), and covered about 4.7K (the last 4 mins were uphill so I was going slower!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Week 7 done yesterday. Legs really stiff and sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Finished week 7 finally last night. It has taken me 3 attemps to finish the week, injured both my calves and went back to early and injured my left calf again. So this week I ran 3 days at 25 mins:). I managed to sprint for the last 30 second of the run last night, and it felt good to do that first time I felt strong enough to to that at the end. Mind you I frighten the crap of a person when I did it :o
    I strech my calves a lot more before evey run anymore, I also changed the music I listen to, more upbeet music ;).
    I have taken the plunge and entered a 5k race, its on 1/12/12, so I should be be finished thye C25K by that stage
    http://www.runireland.com/events/big-heart-santa-run-5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Starting week 4 tomorrow :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chilly enough out there - hands are a bit numb from tonight's run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Pembily wrote: »
    Starting week 4 tomorrow :eek:

Flys by, doesn't it? :)

Lucyfur wrote: »

Flys by, doesn't it? :)
    Yeah! I haven't run 3 times every week but I will from this week on. Going out in an hour for week 4...

W4D1 complete :D The first 3min run was tough, really tough but it was ok after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Signed up for another adventure race so the running started all over again post injury.

Despite two months off I managed to put in 4k before running out of steam. Ran/walked a few more k after getting lost on new route.

Heart rate monitor said I have allot of cardio work to put in :D

Medial from doctor says im still fat :P but probably not accurate as he used a BMI test as opposed to a body fat check(iv been weight lifting). Blood pressure now A1 which is epic to have that finally under control which was the goal.

So time to start putting in the miles for Feburary to knock an hour off last time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Another C25K graduate here, doing the 5K Run In The Dark next week. If I - an absolute cardio hater for years :o - can do it, genuinely anyone can :)

(I reserve the right to eat those words when I'm found half crawling, half having-a-stroke across the finish line next Wednesday >.< )

I've decided to jump into the Hal Higdon 10K novice plan, so I started week three yesterday, which meant a 30 min run today. As it was less than I had been running the last week I thought I'd challenge myself with a new route which had a few hills. And I have discovered that I do not like hills.
    g'em wrote: »
    Another C25K graduate here, doing the 5K Run In The Dark next week. If I - an absolute cardio hater for years :o - can do it, genuinely anyone can :)

(I reserve the right to eat those words when I'm found half crawling, half having-a-stroke across the finish line next Wednesday >.< )

I may see you there, I'll be the one sweating more, yet running slower than everyone else!

I got my first week 8 run out of the way. I'm pretty slow, I looked up the route I did on google maps and it was just over a 3k run so I think by the time I finish week 9 I'll still be off the 5k mark but I'm hoping that when I lose more weight my speed will pick up. On a positive note I am finding my stamina is getting better and better every run I do and that's a great feeling.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I got my first week 8 run out of the way. I'm pretty slow, I looked up the route I did on google maps and it was just over a 3k run so I think by the time I finish week 9 I'll still be off the 5k

The same here, I am not running the distance either, I am also slow by the end of week 9 I will probably be still way off the 5K, so at least there are 2 of us in the same boat:)

The same here, I am not running the distance either, I am also slow by the end of week 9 I will probably be still way off the 5K, so at least there are 2 of us in the same boat:)

I wouldn't worry about this, I wasn't running 5km in 30 minutes when I finished either, but being able to run for 30 min straight is not an achievement to be sniffed at!

Forget Pace.

Iv put in times that were not much faster than crawl. The key is put the time in and consistently get out running. The rest will come.

Thats good to know, I was feeling I must be doing something wrong not to be near the 5k mark but it will come in time. Glad to know I'm not the only one either :D

Well week three of my new plan continues, today was supposed to be an easy run of 3.2 km. Got through it all right, but I started off too fast and it didn't really seem like an easy run by the end. Serious fear setting in before the race next week :eek:

Week 8 finished :), the run last night was just OK, roll on week 9, fingures crossed I will start it over the weekend
    Serious fear setting in before the race next week

Best of luck with your race I am sure that you will be fine, I always hear people saying "pre-race nerves", so it could be that. I will probably feel the same in a few weeks time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Serious fear setting in before the race next week :eek:
    Relax, you will be fine :)

Race adrenaline will carry you further and faster than you think. Don't underestimate it!

Good luck in the race Lemon :)

I have completed Week 4 :eek: Starting week 5 on Sunday, then Thursday is a 20 minute run :eek: I may die!

I have completed Week 4 :eek: Starting week 5 on Sunday, then Thursday is a 20 minute run :eek: I may die!

You might surprise yourself, best of luck with it, mentally its a big transition but once you do it you feel amazing. :)

Week 8 Day 2 done last night, feeling a bit sore in my legs today. I did my usual run in reverse which meant doing a hill with a steep incline towards the end of the run. It took a lot out of me and I am aching today but glad I tried it. I might just stick to running down it though for Day 3 :D

You'll be fine, not dieing is great motivation :D

:p Good luck for Thursday, you'll be grand, you'll have run 16mins already so its not too much of a jump (it just looks it). Thats the run I freaked out about in the FD forum that time remember? Turns out it was one of the runs that I most enjoyed!

Good luck on wednesday anyone who's doing the run in the dark!
    I was going to do it in belfast, but I think I've decided not to do any runs till after xmas, too much going on right now with the new job!

I'm onto week 4 of my makeshift inbetween programme :p Yesterday ran 9min x 4 with 2 min walking intervals inbetween so ran 36 mins altogether. Not able to map it properly as I was home on the teeny country roads but went past the 5K mark with about 4 mins to go in the last jog. :D

:p Good luck for Thursday, you'll be grand, you'll have run 16mins already so its not too much of a jump (it just looks it). Thats the run I freaked out about in the FD forum that time remember? Turns out it was one of the runs that I most enjoyed!

Good luck on wednesday anyone who's doing the run in the dark!
    I was going to do it in belfast, but I think I've decided not to do any runs till after xmas, too much going on right now with the new job!
    I am a bit sick so skipping day 1 week 4, day 2 (8 min runs) will be tomorrow and aiming to do the 20 minute run Thursday and then a 30km cycle on Saturday so at least I still get the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Iv put in times that were not much faster than crawl. The key is put the time in and consistently get out running. The rest will come.

This! Forget how fast you are, the only person you're ever looking to beat is yourself. If you can run solidly for x mins (or whatever the program tells you to do) it's a huge achievement :)

Well first race complete! I was in at the Run in the Dark this evening, and obviously ran the thing and survived. A little disappointingly, my timing chip didn't work, and stupidly I didn't time it myself (I don't own a digital watch, which I really should remedy) so I've no idea what my time was! Oh well, next time I suppose.

EDIT: My timing chip did work! It just didn't deliver the text til the middle of the night, so it was 34.08 - which I'm reasonably pleased with, for a first attempt, onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Well done Lemon, and congratulations on the very decent time. Hope you're feeling okay this morning. :)

Haven't been out in a week, feeling bad about it but its hard to get out with work and things. So...I bought myself a second hand threadmill on the cheap. Its not the same as road running but it will hopefully put an end to my erratic training.

One more week of the C25K to go until I'm done, looking at maybe entering a 5k before the year is out.

Advertisement