Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I did Week 1 Day 2 yesterday. It was suspiciously easy, and my legs are fine today, which are good things I'm sure but it feels like I did nothing! I kinda liked the dodgy walk the day after Day 1, at least I felt I had worked hard!

But it was so easy that I'm looking forward to Day 3 and pushing on to Week 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Finally got back into running, did 4.5km on Monday and aiming for the same tonight. Ran for 28 minutes, solidly! I still can't believe it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Everyone must run very fast, I do 3k in about 30 mins :o I would love to go on the Parkrun or something like that but hearing people doing 5k's in 20 - 30 mins is very intimidating. Are there any other slow pokes like me out there??

eviltwin wrote: »
    Everyone must run very fast, I do 3k in about 30 mins :o I would love to go on the Parkrun or something like that but hearing people doing 5k's in 20 - 30 mins is very intimidating. Are there any other slow pokes like me out there??
    I was doing 3k in 30 minutes. Now I do 5km in 40 minutes, so defo not fast. Speed isn't important, it's getting out there and doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

eviltwin wrote: »

Hi eviltwin,
    Have a look at the parkrun.ie website
    also on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056545550
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82360996&postcount=215
    is a good post
    murphd77 wrote: »
    I think you are forgetting the spirit of parkrun, agreenyblue. It's not about the most efficient way to race. It's about participation

Also the day that I ran
    http://www.parkrun.ie/malahide/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=3
    There were plenty of people who finished before me, (hell one person finished before I was half way round) and some who finished after me, but for me it was the participation, just the "joy" of running. People were urging me on even though I was at the back of the field.

If you do run in the parkrun, just hang at the back at the start, otherwise you may bet bumped a bit, a mistake that I made :mad:

FYI
    I am still only running 4K on adverage in 30 minutes

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil Ultra_Other :)

Did 3.5km in 28min tonight. Had to cycle 5km home then and my legs are wrecked!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Longest run of 2013 done :D Did 1.94 miles on Tuesday, then pushed it tonight to 2.41 miles (3.87 km) in 32.27. Felt very good last night and this morning - but I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow, can feel it tonight.

Nearly died doing it last night, temperature is about -2 or -3 according to my phone, and I forgot my inhaler, was running 5 mins,30 sec rest, 4 mins 30 off, etc last week, pushed it to 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2 etc this week. Tonight was -3 when I left and -4 when I got home according to accuweather on my phone, but what I found worse was the freezing fog that came down.

Don't know about going again tomorrow night - pain in my legs already, despite hopping straight into the shower and alternating hot and cold on my legs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Roped workmate into lunch run. Cant get my ass out of bed in the morning.

Managed 3.8k at lunch which for a was respectable.

Need to run again tonight for a longer run will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mikia

I done my first day of C25k today. I've got to say it was tough! I have been out sort of jogging/walking before but turns out I was doing it all wrong, so thanks guys for recommending the apps! Think I was giving up to early before on the running part. I also have to say that I find all of you very inspirational and hope that I will be able to stick this out and eventually be able to run in a 5k marathon. No more lazy days I say! By the way, felt great after that run and can't wait for the next one (once the legs recover a bit) :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Mikia wrote: »
    I done my first day of C25k today. I've got to say it was tough! I have been out sort of jogging/walking before but turns out I was doing it all wrong, so thanks guys for recommending the apps! Think I was giving up to early before on the running part. I also have to say that I find all of you very inspirational and hope that I will be able to stick this out and eventually be able to run in a 5k marathon. No more lazy days I say! By the way, felt great after that run and can't wait for the next one (once the legs recover a bit) :)

This week, because it was so cold, as in minus three when I'm running, I've been jumping into the shower when I get home and then alternating hot and cold on the muscles I've had problems with. Make sure to rehydrate afterwards and do some cool down stretches, didn't do mine last night and I felt it!

Dont think I'll be out tonight, -1 but I'm after developing a sore throat and my chest feels like the start of a chest infection. :(

Edit - its started to snow, and now I'm thinking of heading out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

It's done, it's done, it's done! Week 5, Day 3 is done! Woohoo!!!

I literally jumped for joy when the app told me to start my cooldown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Mikia wrote: »

Congratulations on getting started.

You always feel better after a run. Even when I have a bad run I still feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

I'm on week 3 at the moment...
    3 min jog
    3 min walk
    1.5 min jog
    1.5 min walk
    Etc.

I have asthma. I really don't think I could jog continuously for 20minutes as I feel like I'd drop dead :( I kinda feel like I am wasting my time even doing this CouchTo5K.

Can anyone relate to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

3 min jog
    3 min walk
    1.5 min jog
    1.5 min walk
    Etc.

I have asthma. I really don't think I could jog continuously for 20minutes as I feel like I'd drop dead :( I kinda feel like I am wasting my time even doing this CouchTo5K.

Don't be daft!!! Of course you're not wasting your time! Be very very proud of what you're doing. There are many who don't have asthma that couldn't run for 3 minutes ;)

3 min jog
    3 min walk
    1.5 min jog
    1.5 min walk
    Etc.

When I first started I thought the 3 minute jog would kill me! I don't have asthma and I thought I was going to cough up a lung. I never believed anyone who said I would be able to run for 20 minutes! I can now run for 38 minutes, honestly you can do it. The voice in your head is lying, you can do it!

The one thing I learned from 2012 is never ever say I can't, as yes you can :D
    Lucyfur wrote: »
    Don't be daft!!! Of course you're not wasting your time! Be very very proud of what you're doing. There are many who don't have asthma that couldn't run for 3 minutes ;)
    That was me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

Thanks guys, I am going to do the next level this evening and when I get to the level where I have to run 5 minutes (Can't imagine being able to do this) I will report back to you to let you know how I got on. :)

Thanks for giving me a well needed kick up the backside, it really has motivated me!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Thanks guys, I am going to do the next level this evening and when I get to the level where I have to run 5 minutes (Can't imagine being able to do this) I will report back to you to let you know how I got on. :)

Thanks for giving me a well needed kick up the backside, it really has motivated me!

x

If you can't manage the next step up, don't beat yourself up about it. Just repeat the same week again :) It took me about 40billion weeks to get through the whole program ;)

x

Good luck! The beauty of this programme is that the next step up, each time, is manageable once you've completed the earlier sessions. There's no way I would have been able to run for longer than five/six minutes a few weeks back, yet yesterday, I just did 20.

If you get a chance, have a read back through some of this thread and look at the amount of people who were worrying about the next step up, but then managed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

So, just back from Day 3 of Week 1. The phone went a bit mad and seemed to skip ahead to the end of cool down, but I am 95% sure I got back to the same point in it and continued on. I did another different route today because the previous one would be too mucky with all this rain, this was on a mostly straight flat road and Jaysus some of them took it out of me. But it's done now, I remain to be convinced that I can jog 90 seconds at a time next week but only one way to find out!

It'll probably be in a different location again, on a beach, so I'll see how it goes and then get back onto one of the more local routes next week. Would really like not to have to repeat a week (I'm an impatient feck), so hopefully I can do it :)

• Advertisement

3 min jog
    3 min walk
    1.5 min jog
    1.5 min walk
    Etc.

I felt that way too. I was very worried about the 20mins, I had gotten very used to my walking breaks. I was 4 stone overweight so even walking 20 mins was a challange but you know you might surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

My new year's resolution was to start the couch to 5K programm this year but have yet to start since I was really busy travelling for work and I am down with a cold at the moment :(
    But reading some of the posts on here is encouraging. I will defo start with it once I am fully better! Had started it last year already and was doing well but then twisted my ankle so couldn't keep it up for a long time :(
    Will keep you posted on my progress once I start this :)

Meant to ask as well - I was wondering if anyone knows a good app for the smartphone that I can use for the C25K thing. I had heard there are some that indicate to the user when to walk and when to run simply by using songs and then changing them when you need to switch between walking and running.
    Can anyone recommend any apps for it?

My new year's resolution was to start the couch to 5K programm this year but have yet to start since I was really busy travelling for work and I am down with a cold at the moment :(
    But reading some of the posts on here is encouraging. I will defo start with it once I am fully better! Had started it last year already and was doing well but then twisted my ankle so couldn't keep it up for a long time :(
    Will keep you posted on my progress once I start this :)

Meant to ask as well - I was wondering if anyone knows a good app for the smartphone that I can use for the C25K thing. I had heard there are some that indicate to the user when to walk and when to run simply by using songs and then changing them when you need to switch between walking and running.
    Can anyone recommend any apps for it?

Well i used a few that have music so i could listen to music while running. GoNicoleYourself, Running into Shape are two I used. Steadymixes is great for when you are no longer doing walks in between your runs.

Someone once told me there is one that prompts you over your own music collection but I don't know the name of it. Someone else might be able to help.

I use the Active.com app - it lets me play my own music, but gives voice prompts when it's time to walk/run. It also maps each run and tracks my pace, and allows me to update my Facebook page (although I've yet to use that function). I think it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm just in from my third and final run of week 2.
    It wasn't so bad at all - and I'm so fired up about this that I didn't even care about the awful rain and hail.
    Roll on Monday and week 3! Never thought I'd say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Did W1D1 again because I left it so long since my last run. Managed 7 and a half runs (struggled in one because of a stitch and going up hill) after only managing about 4 the last day, so I'm delighted.

Question, how much do ye all hydrate before a run? I had a pint of water about half an hour before my run and 15 mins in I was kinda thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Question, how much do ye all hydrate before a run? I had a pint of water about half an hour before my run and 15 mins in I was kinda thirsty.
    For me it depends more on how much water I drink during the day. I probably drink more than average though - 2-2.5L of water a day, plus about 4 cups of tea or coffee. I rarely drink immediately before a run unless I'm feeling really thirsty.

I use Get Running, it was about €3 and I love it. The lady, Laura, has a lovely encouraging voice and talks, only when needed, over your music.

I just drink before and after on a short run. Less to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

+1 for the Active.com app, it was perfect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Thanks for sharing what apps you use. Very helpful! Now there shouldn't be anything in my way to start the C25K programme next week :)

Advertisement