Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Ended up going for another small walk yesterday about 2 hours after I did C25k, my legs were like lead by the end of it but today they feel fine, which I wasn't expecting! Looking forward to Week 2, hoping I can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Great to see everyone doing so well, keep it up! I found the weeks 1-4 of C25K the worst, and once I got past there, it all seemed manageable. So persevere, it really is worth it. Today, on my last half km, I was tired and tempted to stop, when I passed a point on my route and thought back to the days when it used to be the end of my C25K circuit, and the reminder of how far I've come gave me the motivation to finish it out. You'll be amazed how fast you improve.

Another good week of running for me, ran 5K, 6K and 10K. I've ordered a book too, which should arrive this week, and then I'm going to make some plans on where to go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I just did W2D1 today!

As someone who has never bothered with exercising for the sake of exercising before, it's quite an achievement. I noticed over christmas I had put on some weight, and decided I would finally, after years of telling myself to, but never actually doing it, get fit!

I have asthma, and as others have said, I'm a bit scared about doing 20 mins of jog continuously! However, I found today a lot easier than last weeks for some reason. i guess I'm starting to feel the effects, and there's a lot less stopping and starting.

I'm watching my diet also, and have noticed, that even though on the whole there's not much difference, my tummy feels a lot better from the exercise, not so bloated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

How's everyone getting on?

I felt very virtuous getting up at 6am this morning to complete W6D2, especially when I didn't see any other runner out. The virtue couldn't keep me warm, unfortunately, but once I'd warmed up, it was fine - I was colder walking to the train station a couple of hours later. Both 10 minute running sessions went smoothly, and I definitely could have kept going for longer.

Intervals are over now for me. 25 minute run on Thursday which I'll admit to being kind of nervous about.

vitani wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on?

I'm going crazy, the roads around me have been too icy the last couple of days to get out at all. I was five minutes out the door this morning and I slipped halfway down the hill outside my house and had to come back in again. Bloody winter :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I did Week 3 day 1 yesterday evening - I was pretty worried about the 3 minute runs, but really (I can't believe I'm saying this) it was fine. I just powered through - and I wasn't even in bits, I was fully recovered after the walk after.
    I find the longer the run, the easier it is - nothing has been as hard as the first week, with all its stops and starts.
    In 20 years I've not done anything physical that was more than walking or cycling from A to B, in, so I was skeptical of my ability to even get off the couch, but I really, really love it, and am looking forward to each new week and each new challenge.

I'm going crazy, the roads around me have been too icy the last couple of days to get out at all. I was five minutes out the door this morning and I slipped halfway down the hill outside my house and had to come back in again. Bloody winter :mad:

Argh! That sucks. I've been incredibly lucky with the weather so far - the bad weather days (the snow yesterday and that awful sleet on Friday) have been during my rest days. Having said that, I've probably just jinxed myself.

If it's any consolation, the weather is supposed to pick up from tomorrow. I think.
    quaalude wrote: »
    I did Week 3 day 1 yesterday evening - I was pretty worried about the 3 minute runs, but really (I can't believe I'm saying this) it was fine. I just powered through - and I wasn't even in bits, I was fully recovered after the walk after.
    I find the longer the run, the easier it is - nothing has been as hard as the first week, with all its stops and starts.
    In 20 years I've not done anything physical that was more than walking or cycling from A to B, in, so I was skeptical of my ability to even get off the couch, but I really, really love it, and am looking forward to each new week and each new challenge.

Yay! I found that as well - I really enjoyed it from the 5 minute runs onward. They were long enough for me to just relax into it and run, without constantly wondering how much time was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I completed W9D2 yesterday, am nearly finished the programme. I ran for 30 minutes solidly! W9D1 was tough, but yesterday was grand, I finish the programme tomorrow and am doing an 8km run on Sunday :eek:

Stick with the plan, it works honestly :)

Argh! That sucks. I've been incredibly lucky with the weather so far - the bad weather days (the snow yesterday and that awful sleet on Friday) have been during my rest days..

I was out in that sleet - it wasn't slippy round my way, so that was good, and I thought to myself "If I can come home from work on a Friday and head straight out to run in this poxy weather, I've really cracked it".
    And I did, and it was quite nice - the freezing hail was cooling, plus the bad weather meant fewer people around to see me in leggings - always a plus.

Yep couldn't get out to do it yesterday and didn't get a chance today, between the snow, the ice and the fog I couldn't go out where I live or drive to the beach to do it.

Dreading 90 second jogs tomorrow but some of the above posts have given me hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just back from W1D2. Was meant to go out yesterday (was trying to do every 2nd day) but fell asleep. Was gonna go out this evening but at about 5pm the fog hit and it was the heaviest I'd seen it in a long time. Looked out the front door at about 8pm and it had cleared and I convinced myself to throw on the runners and get going.

quaalude wrote: »

I was out in that sleet - it wasn't slippy round my way, so that was good, and I thought to myself "If I can come home from work on a Friday and head straight out to run in this poxy weather, I've really cracked it".
    And I did, and it was quite nice - the freezing hail was cooling, plus the bad weather meant fewer people around to see me in leggings - always a plus.

You're a braver woman than me! I'll happily go out in rain or snow and even went out last Tuesday when there was frost all over the footpaths but that sleet was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Ok been fairly consistently running. Not really seeing major improvements but am gaining some ground.

Have kind of accidently managed to start an unofficial running club in work dragging two people out with me running at lunch which I think is great, keeps me motivated and great to see others giving it a go and everyone supporting each other.....

I was amazed that they came out in 30Celcius and put in 1k and 3k before lunch. Also all fired up to do it again Thursday....

People always surprise with awesomeness.....

Was able to get out this morning, 7K in the rain, feel like a whole different person, funny how quickly you get addicted to this running lark!

Just back from W2D1 :D And I didn't die! I was struggling on the second last jog, it was up a muddy incline and was more of a gimpy double limp towards the end than a jog but I kept picturing having to come back here and say "I couldn't finish it :(" and that kept me going :) I find the second last is always the hardest, then the last jog isn't so bad. Delighted with myself, and boyfriend said he can see a difference in my abdominal muscles since I started, more definition already (which wouldn't be difficult tbh!).

The 90 seconds jogs weren't too bad at all, I did feel the 90 second walks went by in a blur, had 20-30 seconds left until next jog and was still catching my breath on the later ones, but I didn't have to stop at any stage.

And I've just realised right now this was the first day I didn't get a stitch in a gammy damaged muscle/nerve area I have. That's actually very impressive now that I think about it, I always get a pain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scribbles2013

Was able to get out this morning, 7K in the rain, feel like a whole different person, funny how quickly you get addicted to this running lark!

7k well done!

I started the C25K during the summer and now run 5k about three times a week in the gym (even though I found the 60 second jogs at the start hard-brilliant app!)

would love to up it to 6K- 2013 goal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just about to start this and have a few questions for the initiated. I'm already reasonably fit and exercise 3-6 times a week. Do you have to do it week by week or could you do more runs and do it faster? Is it ok to do other cardio work in between/on the same day as runs? Also do you need special shoes? I've got some Nike high tops that are perfect for dance/lateral movement because they have ankle support but the soles seem very thin compared to most running shoes. I'm reluctant to make a big spend at this point in case I don't keep it up. Already buying an armband thingy for my phone. Has anyone tried the Belkin one? Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Just about to start this and have a few questions for the initiated. I'm already reasonably fit and exercise 3-6 times a week. Do you have to do it week by week or could you do more runs and do it faster? Is it ok to do other cardio work in between/on the same day as runs? Also do you need special shoes? I've got some Nike high tops that are perfect for dance/lateral movement because they have ankle support but the soles seem very thin compared to most running shoes. I'm reluctant to make a big spend at this point in case I don't keep it up. Already buying an armband thingy for my phone. Has anyone tried the Belkin one? Thanks for the advice!

I run 6 days a week and I have done for ages. If you find going up a week is difficult, just repeat the previous week.
    I do cardio and weights and swimming 6 days a week. I don't see any issue with doing more cardio on running days.
    I would invest in a pair of runners. I find, if I don't wear suitable footwear, I end up with shin splints.

:)

Rosy I run 3 times a week, cycle daily and do yoga twice a week. I never found cycling the day after a run a problem. Just do what suits you and what works for you.

I'm aiming for just over 5km on Friday on preparation for the 8km on Sunday so fingers crossed.

W7D1 done this morning.

I found it tough going. I wanted to stop so many times but forced myself to keep going, while spending a lot of the time wondering why the hell I ever thought I could be a runner. Managed the entire 25 minutes though and when the session was over, I checked my phone. I'd covered 4.2k in the 25 minute run, which is over 2 and a half miles. I've never run that far or that fast before.

I went from despair to elation - I'm absolutely chuffed with myself now and can't wait to get back out there. :)

Although, I did have a brief moment of panic when I realised I need to do five times that in August for the half marathon... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Went for a big run friday in a national park at lunch.
    Got lost and did an accidental 6k in 30 degree heat. Drank a bucket of water after that one.

Stiff as a board must stretch more. Was hoping to run today but its just pelting down and im hungover which not helping motivation....

I haven't gotten out for Week 2 since Wednesday :( Had planned Day2 for Friday, then it bucketed down here all day so I said I'd leave it til yesterday...weather is the same since Friday and because I've acquired a cold my boyfriend has banned me from going out to do it :( He's right really, I have a long week ahead with work and stuff so can't still be sick by Tuesday.

Hopefully I can get back into then, weather won't stop me once this pesky cold goes away!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I just did W3D1 and it went surprisingly well! I actually found the 3 minute runs easier than the 90 second runs, once you get started it's easier to just keep going. I was almost annoyed whenever the voice told me to start walking. :o

Pembily wrote: »
    Rosy I run 3 times a week, cycle daily and do yoga twice a week. I never found cycling the day after a run a problem. Just do what suits you and what works for you.

I'm aiming for just over 5km on Friday on preparation for the 8km on Sunday so fingers crossed.

How did it go?

How did it go?
    Thanks for asking. The first 1mile nearly broke me, I contemplated stopping as there was a savage head wind and I had a bad stitch. I walked a bit and then I asked a volunteer on a corner how far I had gone and he said 1.5miles so I stuck with it but it was tough. The stitch came back now and again but I finished it :)

Pembily wrote: »
    Thanks for asking. The first 1mile nearly broke me, I contemplated stopping as there was a savage head wind and I had a bad stitch. I walked a bit and then I asked a volunteer on a corner how far I had gone and he said 1.5miles so I stuck with it but it was tough. The stitch came back now and again but I finished it :)

Well done!

Interesting you found the first mile the worst. Since starting the longer runs in C25k, I'm finding the first 8 - 10 minutes the most challenging. Once I get through that, the rest is easier. I've seen other people say the same thing.

It's great that your first race is done and dusted. It was tough, but take it as a starting point - chances are, the next one will go much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So unmotivated in this department at the moment. :(

Just home from W4 D1.
    As usual, with D1, it was tough going, but I got through.
    I love that feeling - when you know the new week's challenge is physically possible to complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

What can I say I am now one of these unoffical "nuts Joggers ;)" as over the past few weeks I have been out jogging in the cold, frost, wind and rain. These are normally days that I would not even stick my nose out the door, but yet over the last few weeks about 200 hardy souls are out jogging (some of us (me) only walking and jogging) for over an hour 2 days a week, shattered at the end of the Jog but it does fell good. :D

• Advertisement

After my cold and the weather finally let up I got W2D2 done today, a week after D1, about feckin time. It wasn't too tough at all, I felt I paced myself well on the jogs, and my wonderful old mp3 player cooperated and downloaded some podcasts for it, so I had music which always makes a difference for me.

I really find having my dog with me great, if I'm getting a bit "I wanna sit down!" her pulling barely on the lead gives me the boost to keep moving.

Looking forward to D3 now! This is really sad but I bought a cute cheap walking jacket, it's pink so easy to see, has reflective strips, great pockets, hood, breathable, etc, all for €20. I look and feel like a different person in it, I actually look like I know what I'm doing :P

Advertisement