Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Starting day 1 today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Whispered wrote: »

Good for you!
    I've D3 of Week 4 tonight. I'm so glad I started, I really love it - I am very unfit, but I can really feel myself getting fitter, and becoming more confident.

quaalude wrote: »
    Good for you!
    I've D3 of Week 4 tonight. I'm so glad I started, I really love it - I am very unfit, but I can really feel myself getting fitter, and becoming more confident.

Thanks! Well done for getting so far. I can't imagine being able to run or jog for 3 mins straight. 60 seconds were hard enough! :)

I'm just back. I made the error of thinking it would be easy. Thinking "sure I walk every day, how difficult will a jog be" - ummm difficult! The dog was lagging behind, lazy little feck, so I was trying to encourage him to keep up without pulling on his lead and my earphones kept falling out. :o Hopefully it will be easier next time.

I had a pretty light brekkie, just half a grapefruit and a slice of lemon cake (homemade with brown flour & low fat spread so not too bad). I left it an hour then I went. But during my 2nd jog I got a stitch. It went when I started walking again and didn't come back, but I was wondering if anybody does it on an empty stomach? I might try that next time.

Thanks! Well done for getting so far. I can't imagine being able to run or jog for 3 mins straight. 60 seconds were hard enough! :)

I'm just back. I made the error of thinking it would be easy. Thinking "sure I walk every day, how difficult will a jog be" - ummm difficult! The dog was lagging behind, lazy little feck, so I was trying to encourage him to keep up without pulling on his lead and my earphones kept falling out. :o Hopefully it will be easier next time.

I had a pretty light brekkie, just half a grapefruit and a slice of lemon cake (homemade with brown flour & low fat spread so not too bad). I left it an hour then I went. But during my 2nd jog I got a stitch. It went when I started walking again and didn't come back, but I was wondering if anybody does it on an empty stomach? I might try that next time.

Oh, it will be easier next time. I was a horror first day, couldn't do all 60 seconds of any of the jogs. My system was in shock! The second day was so, so much easier, and the third easier still.

I do mine after work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and I usually have a very light snack, like a small handful of nuts, about an hour or two before. That sorts me out, and I've never had a stitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Well done for getting started! You won't know yourself in a few weeks time. Everyone starts off thinking '3 minutes! :eek:' but the program really does work. I'm starting Week 8 tomorrow - 28 minute runs :eek: - but I know I can manage it.

I tend to go out first thing in the morning, so I wouldn't eat beforehand. I drink water like it's going out of fashion, so I'm always well-hydrated and don't need to drink much before a run. If I am running after food, I leave it two hours.

In terms of a stitch, I only get one when I go too fast. I'm sure you've seen this many times but because I didn't listen at first, I'm going to say it anyway. If you're getting out of breath or uncomfortable, then slow down. Even if you're just going at barely more than a walking pace. Speed will come in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Yeah I get a stitch if I go too fast/try too hard, pacing myself worked a treat with that mostly, but I'm prone to getting a stitch in a weird damaged muscle/nerve area I have.

Sitting here procrastinating when I should be going out to do W2D3...where's my motivation run off to?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Sitting here procrastinating when I should be going out to do W2D3...where's my motivation run off to?! :p

Happens to the best of us! I'm not enjoying running at all at the moment, don't really know why - have started swimming on my off days to mix it up, maybe just getting a bit fed up. But you'll feel better once you've done it

Happens to the best of us! I'm not enjoying running at all at the moment, don't really know why - have started swimming on my off days to mix it up, maybe just getting a bit fed up. But you'll feel better once you've done it

Yeah I have a system, go do it, then come home, have a lovely shower and chill out for a while with a cup of tea and a biscuit guilt free!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Fair play! I started it in January 2012, not expecting myself in all seriousness to keep it up after completing the programme, and yet here I am still running miles home from work at least 3 days a week. Miracles can happen!
    I'm just back. I made the error of thinking it would be easy. Thinking "sure I walk every day, how difficult will a jog be" - ummm difficult! The dog was lagging behind, lazy little feck, so I was trying to encourage him to keep up without pulling on his lead and my earphones kept falling out. :oHopefully it will be easier next time.

Just leave the dog at home next time – he's obviously holding you back! :D

Yep. I really find it hard running any time after eating. When I run home from work it's been 3.5–4 hours since lunch, which might seem like a long time for a lot of people but I find that fine. When I used to run first thing, or on the odd occasion I still do, then I always went on an empty stomach. I tried going after having porridge but found that really I needed to leave at the very least two hours post eating, which isn't ideal.

I drink water and tea like a fish all day every day though, so I'm always well hydrated and running on an empty stomach doesn't bother me in the slightest. (Then again I've never been one of those people who get light-headed if they don't eat for a while. If you are then I'm sure it'll be completely different!)

Are you doing it with anybody else? Maybe that would help?

It says on the thing I downloaded to take a day off in between. I assume going for a walk is fine? Is it just the jogging you should take a break from?

I'm so hungry after that. This is not going to go well if I'm hungrier after running as I'll be packing on weight. :o
    Just leave the dog at home next time – he's obviously holding you back!

Honestly, it's really just because of the dogs I'm doing it. My husband is very fit, and one of the dogs could run all day. We've recently started canicross but myself and the little dog are holding them back with our laziness, lack of fitness and general "Oh do I have to" attitude :o so he needs it as much as I do. :D

• Advertisement

Are you doing it with anybody else? Maybe that would help?

I brought my boyfriend one day and it annoyed me tbh, talking to him took energy from jogging and he drove me mad giving out when the dog stopped to sniff something or got caught up in her lead etc. This thread will make me do it, I'll do it and post back here later :p

I'll do it and post back here later :p

WELL DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU DO! :mad:

(Will that help? :pac:)

Ok, I'm back. It went really well, found it -dare I say it- quite easy. Except on the second last jog a huge German Shepherd ran out of a house, across the road at us and tried to bite my dog :( I was screaming at him/her/it to get off her, trying to drag my dog away, and generally freaking out. So instead of jogging up the rest of the hill I was on I absolutely belted it, with the German Shepherd following us about 5ft away, head down, looking terrifyingly sauntering behind us :(

Considering the scare I got I think I did well, I didn't lose any pace after that, I didn't cut the next jogs short, I didn't pass out and die from the panic. So Week 2 is done, but right now I don't feel too amazed by it, I'm sure I will when I calm down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I've noticed that whenever I get a stitch, it helps to breathe through my stomach, if that makes sense? Taking really deep breaths and sort of exaggerating it so that my stomach is moving in and out really visibly helps, I only have to do that for maybe 5-10 seconds and I don't even need to slow down before the stitch is already gone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Hi All, have never posted in here i dont think, but was reading the thread.

I am on W5 D3 and I have to run for 20 mins solid tonight - I have no clue how i am going to do it and am totally dreading it :o

Like a few of you on here, I cannot eat beforehand. I go Mon, Wed & Fri when I get in from work, not having eaten since lunchtime somedays at around 4, I have an apple.

I havent seen any difference in my clothes yet though but I do feel a lot fitter.

Re the stitch my boyfriend has told me whenever I get one to stretch the arm from the same side up over my head, keep my head straight and keep breathing. Definitely seems to help.

I am on W5 D3 and I have to run for 20 mins solid tonight - I have no clue how i am going to do it and am totally dreading it :o
    How'd you get on, msbusterpuss?
    I'm starting W5 on Monday and I'm a bit scared. The 5 min runs from W4 were ok by day 3, but I didn't realise W5 ramps up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Re the stitch my boyfriend has told me whenever I get one to stretch the arm from the same side up over my head, keep my head straight and keep breathing. Definitely seems to help.
    I was told that after the stitch I got on Sunday. Defo keeping it in mind.

Finally going out for W9, D3! Starting onto a 10k programme next week :)

Some great progress here, well done!

Is it generally recommended to stick exactly to the programme? I feel fine today and we're about to go out with the dogs. If I do week 1 day 2 today, then day 3 on Monday. Can I move on to week 2 on Wednesday? Or is that totally not recommended.

I've never been so motivated to do anything. It's a great feeling, after just doing yesterday I felt my energy levels go straight up. I even went to the pool yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Is it generally recommended to stick exactly to the programme? I feel fine today and we're about to go out with the dogs. If I do week 1 day 2 today, then day 3 on Monday. Can I move on to week 2 on Wednesday? Or is that totally not recommended.

I've never been so motivated to do anything. It's a great feeling, after just doing yesterday I felt my energy levels go straight up. I even went to the pool yesterday evening.
    I skipped one day but I stopped after that as I felt if I pushed myself too fast I would stop or injure myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'm just recovering from surgery at the moment and am extremely unfit. I can't even get up from the floor by myself without support (now that's bad). I'm 46 and weigh just under 18 stone. Now I feel really inspired to do this couch to 5k and after successfully giving up ciggies 3 months ago, I know that I have the motivation. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to do it and it will dishearten me terribly. Is it too much for the likes of me, should I set my sights at lower impact exercise first? but it's such a great app and I would really love to give it a go. Any body else out there the same situation as a me or know some one the same who have successfully completed this nine week programme? :o

I'm just recovering from surgery at the moment and am extremely unfit. I can't even get up from the floor by myself without support (now that's bad). I'm 46 and weigh just under 18 stone. Now I feel really inspired to do this couch to 5k and after successfully giving up ciggies 3 months ago, I know that I have the motivation. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to do it and it will dishearten me terribly. Is it too much for the likes of me, should I set my sights at lower impact exercise first? but it's such a great app and I would really love to give it a go. Any body else out there the same situation as a me or know some one the same who have successfully completed this nine week programme? :o

When I started the program I was two stone heavier than I am now (and I'm still overweight :o), very unfit, had to do the first week again and again and again before I could move on. I had surgery to have my galbladder removed two months in, had to take six weeks off and then start back on week three again! I made it in the end, even if I had to repeat a lot as I went along. So there is hope for us all! That said, if you're worried about impact on joints, start off with some walking. Any exercise is better than no exercise, and walking has the advantage of being free. Go out and briskly walk for as long as you can maintain it. If it's 30 minutes, that's great, you're probably ready to start C25K. If you're not at 30 minutes, don't worry about it, and aim to build up to there. If you can do 10, aim to do 15 the next day, and work your way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

When I started the program I was two stone heavier than I am now (and I'm still overweight :o), very unfit, had to do the first week again and again and again before I could move on. I had surgery to have my galbladder removed two months in, had to take six weeks off and then start back on week three again! I made it in the end, even if I had to repeat a lot as I went along. So there is hope for us all! That said, if you're worried about impact on joints, start off with some walking. Any exercise is better than no exercise, and walking has the advantage of being free. Go out and briskly walk for as long as you can maintain it. If it's 30 minutes, that's great, you're probably ready to start C25K. If you're not at 30 minutes, don't worry about it, and aim to build up to there. If you can do 10, aim to do 15 the next day, and work your way up.
    Thanks a million for that Lemon S, very encouraging post. I can walk for 30 mins, no problem ( A red face and huffing a bit at the end but otherwise ok).
    It never occured to me to repeat the weeks if I was finding it hard so that's a great idea. Well done you on the two stone loss, that's a massive achievement. Just walking for the sake of it you see bores me to hell, whereas with this app, we have something to strive towards and it keeps your mind occupied too. I'm going for it, I'll keep you posted. Won't be able to start for a couple of weeks though. :pac::pac:

I've lost 5lbs and have only been doing this for 2/3 weeks (I've done 2 weeks of it but it took me 3 weeks with being busy and sick). There is a difference in my overall shape already, I look a bit more toned. This with eating well is making such a great difference so fast, can't wait to see what I'll look like by the end of it lol :) I've lost 2 inches off my waist since last Autumn, I bought jeans 2 inches smaller than usual before Christmas, was just fitting into them before Christmas and another new pair of the same jeans fits me fine today. So rewarding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I don't think I've lost any weight on the scales but I'm definitely more toned. I've started eating healthier - no processed food and a ton of fruit & veg and water - so my stomach is flatter. I also had no PMS this month, and I'm usually all over the place.

Seriously in danger of becoming a running evangelist. Started Week 8 today. Can't quite believe the distance I'm able to run now.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

quaalude wrote: »
    How'd you get on, msbusterpuss?
    I'm starting W5 on Monday and I'm a bit scared. The 5 min runs from W4 were ok by day 3, but I didn't realise W5 ramps up so much.

Hi quaalude, It was ok, wasnt as bad as I thought. I was dreading it all day yesterday. I had to check myself every 5 minutes just to get me through which tells me its somewhat psychological! The last 5 minutes were torture being honest and I actually thought at one point that time had stopped but I got through it!

W5 doesnt ramp up that much its only the 3rd run that was for 20 mins and I think W6 is more of the same. I could be wrong though. I think if I can get through W7 (constant running) I will be over the moon!

Have been feeling a bit discouraged with the running lately, and my knee has been acting up again, not too bad, but a bit niggly, so rather than do a long run today, I decided to go for a short quick one and come home and do some extra physio exercises and stretching. Really glad I did so, because I ran my fastest ever 5K and hit the mother of all runners' highs, which I'm still feeling the effects of. Hoping if I ease off for a week or so my knee will behave.

That's great! Fair play :) Think I got a teeny bit of a high myself, just back from W3D1, I did the 3 min jogs!! The first one was a doddle, unbelievably, the second one followed a jog and walk up an incline so I nearly died, but I kept going and finished it *happy dance*. That was so satisfying :)

Just want to mention my boyfriend again here for a minute. He has been doing a very a la carte approach to c25k, because he has previously climbed mountains around the world which involved months of immense training. While it's been 6 years and one very bad knee injury since then, during which time he has become by his own admittance very lazy, he has done 1 day of each week with me, and not a bother on him. He's currently giving out to himself because today's second 3 minute jog tired him out a bit, so I've told him to read this thread and see how easy he's been jumping from one week to the next!

Oh I forgot about this today. :eek: I'm just in from work and have spent all day running around (literally) and I have guests arriving in half an hour so I think I'll have to miss today, and do it tomorrow instead.

• Advertisement

Just in from D1 Week 5.
    It went really well, I'm so happy.
    My advice to anyone starting and worried about future weeks is trust the program - just relax and follow it to the letter, it won't let you down.

Advertisement