Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's a pain I've had for ages. It's in both or either hip each time and it comes and goes. Like a dull ache right in the joint :confused: walking or jogging doesn't cause it in my experience but it is painful to walk on when the pain is there already if you know what I mean.

I will leave it for now and if the pain is gone later (usually doesn't last too long) I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

suomi wrote: »
    I just finished W4D1. The last 5 minute run was awful, it was all uphill and I thought I was going to die. :o It was the first time so far that I was actually struggling to keep moving! I'm not looking forward to doing it all over again in a couple of days.

I found week 4 the hardest of all the weeks, don't worry, you'll get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I just finished W4D1. The last 5 minute run was awful, it was all uphill and I thought I was going to die. :o It was the first time so far that I was actually struggling to keep moving! I'm not looking forward to doing it all over again in a couple of days.

Good luck on D2, and well done for not stopping. It will make it easier to keep going the next time.

I find that everyone seems to go through a stage of finding the program tough mentally once the first few weeks are over. I had it at the end of Week 6/start of Week 7 and it was a massive struggle to keep on going. But it really does get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Hey All,

I finished W7 D1 last night. I thought it was going to be really tough because I had found W6 D3 hard going, but I started out on a slow pace and built it up over the 25 mins and for the last 5 was able to push myself a good bit.

I dont know if it was the 2 days break between runs but I found it a lot easier - Ill let you know how I feel after W7 D2! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I found week 4 the hardest of all the weeks, don't worry, you'll get there!
    vitani wrote: »
    Good luck on D2, and well done for not stopping. It will make it easier to keep going the next time.

I find that everyone seems to go through a stage of finding the program tough mentally once the first few weeks are over. I had it at the end of Week 6/start of Week 7 and it was a massive struggle to keep on going. But it really does get easier.

Thanks, that's so nice of you both. :) I'm almost looking forward to D2 now, I want to be able to say afterwards that I did it and that it really did get easier. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Did W4D2 today. I missed the cue to do 1st 5 min jog because of a phonecall, was over a minute into it before I realised, so I had an extra long break before it but I just counted 5 mins myself and continued on as normal. It was definitely a bit easier than D1, mainly because I knew by the songs on the last 5min how long was left. I coped better with it, the 3 min jogs were grand, very doable today. Can't believe by this weekend I could be on W5!

Just one more run left for me in C25k. I went to the Phoenix Park yesterday evening for W9D2. Loved running in the Park, but think I'll wait until the evenings are brighter before going back - it's a bit too nervewracking in the dark.

I find I'm a lot less cautious about pushing myself now. When I dropped the intervals first, I held back to make sure I could get to the end. Now, my endurance has come on to the point where I can cope with going harder from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

vitani wrote: »
    Just one more run left for me in C25k. I went to the Phoenix Park yesterday evening for W9D2. Loved running in the Park, but think I'll wait until the evenings are brighter before going back - it's a bit too nervewracking in the dark.

Lighting is terrible in most of the park because of the deer! If you want to run there in the evenings at this time of year, I'd recommend getting a headtorch.

Did W4D3 now. Got through it, I suppose it was a bit more bearable than the last time. Onto W5 at the weekend! :eek:

Is everyone having a lazy few days or just not reporting back? :p

Did W5D1 today. It was grand! I jogged up the hill that nearly killed me a couple of weeks ago and didn't even look like I was dying, so that's good :) So far I think the 3 x 5min runs are my favourite combination, but W5 changes each day, next is 2 x 8min runs, eep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm still trundling along!
    Did W6 D3 yesterday, 22 min run in one go, and it was fine!
    The first few minutes are always the hardest for me, my legs always feel tired, but once I warm up and get into the swing of it I feel like I can run forever.
    I'm thinking of signing up for the Docklands run in June - anyone else thinking about a race yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm back to week 7 and I ran solidly for 25min, first time in a while. At the start I thought I wouldn't be able to as wasn't feeling it but trugged along!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Great stuff everyone, it gets so much easier now that the weather is half decent again, doesn't it?
    quaalude wrote: »
    I'm thinking of signing up for the Docklands run in June - anyone else thinking about a race yet?

I've been thinking of signing up for the 10K at this, cause I feel I should start doing a few races, and provided I get my exams next month, I should be working in that area by then! I did the same loop at the Run in the Dark last November and it's a nice route, very flat and great views all along the quays.

I just finished W4D2 and I could definitely feel that the last time I ran was five or six days ago - my legs started to hurt right away! It was still easier than last time though. I'm so glad I started C25K, I've gotten so much fitter already. I ran 16 minutes in total today, that's the longest I've ran in about nine years. :eek:

I finished C25k on Wednesday, so headed over to the Phoenix Park this afternoon for a run. Had only planned on doing about 5k, but something tends to happen my sense of direction in the Park - I think I have some kind of mental block. Anyway, I took a wrong turn and ended up doing about 7.5k.
    quaalude wrote: »

I've a few planned over the next few months, starting with the Operation Transformation 5k next week. I signed up for that Docklands one because I work in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Hello ladies, I'm just finished week 3 of this programme and I have to say I'm finding reading through this thread inspirational! Its good to remind myself that it can be done even though it might seem impossible from where I'm at now. It's amazing how what is completely knackering on day 1 is somehow ok by day 3.

Looking ahead to week 5 where you have the choice of a distance goal as well as a time goal- how do you ladies calculate this? I have Nike+ on my phone but I can't seem to get it to work. Is there another app that can be used in conjunction with the C25k? I'm using the Zen labs one because its free all the way and I've already bought new shoes and an armband and headphones (broke my 'fashion' headphones on my first run!).

Also, this is probably more appropriate for the fitness forum but I can burn way more calories doing dance or rollerskating than I do running/walking but it knackers me out way more. What's with that? Hopefully it gets better!

I haven't noticed a difference on the scales since I started but I do have more definition in my legs. What changes have other ladies who have been doing this for a while found that running makes to your body shape?

Thanks for the support!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I haven't noticed a difference on the scales since I started but I do have more definition in my legs. What changes have other ladies who have been doing this for a while found that running makes to your body shape?

Well, I have an ass for the first time in my life :p I always have a very small almost flat bum, and over the last few weeks it is definitely more curved, very entertaining! My jeggings are starting to fit differently, slightly more room on the waist but much tighter around my bum lol.

Hello ladies, I'm just finished week 3 of this programme and I have to say I'm finding reading through this thread inspirational! Its good to remind myself that it can be done even though it might seem impossible from where I'm at now. It's amazing how what is completely knackering on day 1 is somehow ok by day 3.

Looking ahead to week 5 where you have the choice of a distance goal as well as a time goal- how do you ladies calculate this? I have Nike+ on my phone but I can't seem to get it to work. Is there another app that can be used in conjunction with the C25k? I'm using the Zen labs one because its free all the way and I've already bought new shoes and an armband and headphones (broke my 'fashion' headphones on my first run!).

Also, this is probably more appropriate for the fitness forum but I can burn way more calories doing dance or rollerskating than I do running/walking but it knackers me out way more. What's with that? Hopefully it gets better!

Thanks for the support!

I use a Rundouble app and it's great, before I started I had to choose between the distance goal and the time goal and I picked time because the GPS thing doesn't always work on my phone so then I won't have to worry about the distance, I can just keep running until it tells me to stop. :)

You burn more calories doing rollerskating and dancing because you use more muscles doing them, and that's why it tires you out faster. And in dancing you probably move your arms as well, so that burns more calories.

I've noticed my legs look a bit more toned too, especially my calves. They feel a bit muscular actually. :eek: Shame running doesn't tone arms and stomach too. :o

Well, I have an ass for the first time in my life :p I always have a very small almost flat bum, and over the last few weeks it is definitely more curved, very entertaining! My jeggings are starting to fit differently, slightly more room on the waist but much tighter around my bum lol.

That's not what I want to hear!! Already have more than my fair share of booty. I wouldn't mind if I could hone them into buns of steel all the same, rather than the loaves of jelly that I've got now!

That's not what I want to hear!! Already have more than my fair share of booty. I wouldn't mind if I could hone them into buns of steel all the same, rather than the loaves of jelly that I've got now!

Well yeah it's muscle I've developed there so your muscles would firm up, it's not like I've spontaneously grown fat there! My boyfriend even commented that my usually painfully bony bum that stops me ever sitting on his lap wasn't so bad at all today :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Mine has firmed up from running and cycling, it's also shrunk :D

I use a Rundouble app and it's great, before I started I had to choose between the distance goal and the time goal and I picked time because the GPS thing doesn't always work on my phone so then I won't have to worry about the distance, I can just keep running until it tells me to stop. :)

Can you use it at the same time as the c25k app? I would like to find out how far I'm running anyway and google maps seems to only use main roads not walking tracks.
    You burn more calories doing rollerskating and dancing because you use more muscles doing them, and that's why it tires you out faster. And in dancing you probably move your arms as well, so that burns more calories.

Yes, that makes sense but what's confusing me is that I can dance and roller skate hard out for an hour or more burning 600 to 1000 calories but I'm still more exhausted from one session of c25k which is half the time and only burns around 222 calories (atm at this level). I suppose its all about getting used to something completely different.
    I've noticed my legs look a bit more toned too, especially my calves. They feel a bit muscular actually. :eek: Shame running doesn't tone arms and stomach too. :o

True! My arms and upper body are fine and my legs are getting into shape but my belly and arse are a war zone!! That's what three babies (and a whole lot of magnums to be fair) will do to you. I brought it up with my OH (who's a medical professional and a fitness nut) and he laughed and said 'you can't fight oestrogen'... Maybe I can't win but I'm still going to fight the good fight!

Can you use it at the same time as the c25k app? I would like to find out how far I'm running anyway and google maps seems to only use main roads not walking tracks.

Rundouble is a C25K app and it's really handy whenever the GPS thing works, it tells me how far I've ran and how fast etc. So I don't need another app to measure the distance. But there are plenty of apps that can be used to do that, there's one called RunKeeper and I think there's another one called Map My Run, they work in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) anyway. And they can run on the background while you're using the C25K app.
    Yes, that makes sense but what's confusing me is that I can dance and roller skate hard out for an hour or more burning 600 to 1000 calories but I'm still more exhausted from one session of c25k which is half the time and only burns around 222 calories (atm at this level). I suppose its all about getting used to something completely different.

Oh right, I thought you meant that you get more tired from rollerskating and dancing! :o I don't know why you would get more tired from running then, doesn't make sense!
    True! My arms and upper body are fine and my legs are getting into shape but my belly and arse are a war zone!! That's what three babies (and a whole lot of magnums to be fair) will do to you. I brought it up with my OH (who's a medical professional and a fitness nut) and he laughed and said 'you can't fight oestrogen'... Maybe I can't win but I'm still going to fight the good fight!

Well, there's no harm trying anyway! :p Running is definitely good for shrinking your bottom and making it firmer, mine already looks (and feels) a lot better. And I'm hoping all this exercise and eating healthy will shrink my belly as well. Can't blame it on babies though, just Magnums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Great to hear everyone'd doing so well.
    Just home - W7 D1 completed, I'm so thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Finished W8 D1 yesterday - killer!! But I did it!

Just did W5D2, next up is 20 min jog, eep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I started this, and then had to give up as I buggered up my ankle - dunno what I did to it. Took 3 weeks to heal. That was back in Nov/Dec. Would love to get back to this and have Ankle supports now, but am so scared i'm gonna damage it again. Anyone had similar experience?

By the way, fair play to you ladies! I am someone who has been walking regularly for the last few years an I find this very hard, so for anyone who went from doing no exercise into this/, I think you deserve a medal!!!

Niamho! wrote: »
    I started this, and then had to give up as I buggered up my ankle - dunno what I did to it. Took 3 weeks to heal. That was back in Nov/Dec. Would love to get back to this and have Ankle supports now, but am so scared i'm gonna damage it again. Anyone had similar experience?

By the way, fair play to you ladies! I am someone who has been walking regularly for the last few years an I find this very hard, so for anyone who went from doing no exercise into this/, I think you deserve a medal!!!

What kind of runners are you using? If you haven't already, it would be worthwhile going to a proper running store and getting gait analysis done. Properly fitted runners reduce the impact on your joints/ligaments.

I tried Couch to 5k a few years ago. Started out in my normal runners, and being full of enthusiasm, I didn't take a rest day between two of the sessions. Boom - sore ankle and it was nearly a month before I could try running again. This time round, I've been uber-cautious about taking time for my legs to recover between sessions.

Niamho! wrote: »

I want a medal! :p 5 weeks ago I had never jogged longer than 60 seconds, I don't know if I had even jogged that long. Now today I jogged 16 minutes (granted with the 5 min break in between) but still, that's mad! Delighted with myself :)

• Advertisement

Just finished W5!! 20 min jog, and my mp3 player died on the second last song, quick mental jig to work out I had about 4 mins left so I kept going, when I checked it when I got back I was spot on so I didn't miss any of it.

Du know what, that was actually easier than the first 3 min jog I ever did. I genuinely only got tired on the last 2 mins, and I think that was more because the music ran out so I was depending on myself to keep the pace going, whereas for the last two days of W5 I had Destiny's Child Survivor on the last bit of it :P

W6 D1 sounds like a doddle now :pac:

Advertisement