Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I feel much healthier than I did before Christmas, which is the main thing for me. But my body shape is changing slowly too and I really love my new legs. Partly because the muscles are more attractive than the fat that was there, but also because of the fact that they're there through my hard work.

My arms seem more musclely as well - all that forward and back momentum must be toning them up.

That said, I was looking at the photos of me in the OT 5k last Saturday. My word, running leggings are unforgiving :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

vitani wrote: »
    That said, I was looking at the photos of me in the OT 5k last Saturday. My word, running leggings are unforgiving :o

I cheat and wear a skirt thing over my leggings - I'm not ready to inflict my arse on the world (yet).

quaalude wrote: »
    I cheat and wear a skirt thing over my leggings - I'm not ready to inflict my arse on the world (yet).

I've seen running skirts online before - I have to admit that I'm tempted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I bought a lovely running top in Dunnes the last day for €14, it's really long so covers my bum, which is handy. I'm not too fussed about covering my tiny arse but I just feel there's something that looks fundamentally wrong about seeing that bit of leggings, like other people will think I'm over exposed or something! :D

vitani wrote: »
    I've seen running skirts online before - I have to admit that I'm tempted...

Some running skirts look really nice, but are crazy expensive.
    They have cheap ones on Sports Direct. Inexpensive running tights too - I got these recently and like them: http://www.sportsdirect.com/puma-essentials-long-tights-ladies-346009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I bought a lovely running top in Dunnes the last day for €14, it's really long so covers my bum, which is handy. I'm not too fussed about covering my tiny arse but I just feel there's something that looks fundamentally wrong about seeing that bit of leggings, like other people will think I'm over exposed or something! :D

Must check that out, I'd love one of them for yoga :)

I bought a lovely running top in Dunnes the last day for €14, it's really long so covers my bum, which is handy.

They have this long vest thing in Dunnes for under a tenner, I have a few of them, I'm tall and it is long enough to cover my unslightly areas (well, some of them)!

Must check that out, I'd love one of them for yoga :)

It's black with no sleeves and a blue and fluorescent yellow bit on each shoulder, it was around €14. They've been in stock for ages so there's only a few of them left but they're lovely! I was going to by the matching leggings weeks ago but didn't, and when I went in the last day there was only an 8 left, goddammit!

Hmm... payday tomorrow...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've downloaded a variation of couch to 5k with zombies, should add a bit of extra kick - I'm going to start it tonight. The full app (Zombies, Run!) is meant to be excellent, zombies chase you to make you run faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

quaalude wrote: »
    I just signed up for http://www.docklandsrun.ie/5km-dublin-city-fun-race/ - I chose this one because it's near my house, so less scary than one further away. Bits of the course are bits of my usual C25K routes.
    I can't believe I just entered a run. That was unthinkable at the start of the year!

Well done quaalude!

On another note tonight is W9 D2 and im really looking forward to it! I finished D1 on Monday night and loved it couldnt believe im doing 30 minutes non stop. W9 is the last week so when I finish that, I am going to download the the bridge to 10k app and see if i can do that.

My left knee is so tight and sore since last wed night so have been icing it and doing stretches, so im hoping it goes soon.

I did W6D2, on a treadmill for the first time and found it great, liked seeing the time and distance (4km btw!) and was able to "strip" down to my vest top, no need for jacket to hold everything. Found the two 10 mins runs easy enough until the last minute of the second one.

Well so much for my smugness :rolleyes: W9 D2 - thought i was gonna pass out!! about 4 times i thought i have to stop I actually cannot do this anymore but i kept going got my breathing in check.

And when i came in the OH goes janey you look wrecked!

So anyway note to self - never be smug again :D

Well so much for my smugness :rolleyes: W9 D2 - thought i was gonna pass out!! about 4 times i thought i have to stop I actually cannot do this anymore but i kept going got my breathing in check.

And when i came in the OH goes janey you look wrecked!

So anyway note to self - never be smug again :D

Yeah smugness was not my friend this week! I realised this morning I'm finished all the runs with intervals, the next few weeks seem pretty boring now...

I thought I would too and my main concern was how am i going to do this?

Its actually not boring, well it wasnt to me anyway. I find having the lady tell me you have done 5 minutes running, you have done 10 minutes running etc is what keeps me going half the time but in the last week she only tells you after 10 mins :eek:

I think I actually am just in shock that I can actually run for 30 minutes non stop thats what stems the boredom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I got out in Tuesday and did 30min. Also finally got my running stride back! It's good buzz :)

Well done to all for sticking with it.

Yeah smugness was not my friend this week! I realised this morning I'm finished all the runs with intervals, the next few weeks seem pretty boring now...

I much prefer running without the intervals and the chopping and changing.
    I like to listen to music (I have to listen to a different album each session, I found), look around my neighbourhood, and get into the zone (all while dodging dog crap, of course). I find time just slips by.
    If the above sounds smug - I would like to point out I am jogging at a snail's pace, and breathing heavily while doing it!

I think I like the running for 10 mins, then walk for 3, then run for 10 best. It just broke it up nicely. I can't believe how much I enjoyed doing it in the gym, but it was just so easy, instead of running on the road, then grass, then crossing, all with jacket on me to hold keys, phone, mp3 player, etc.

I think I like the aims of the intervals, short term goals, whereas just half an hour of running seems long and dull to me! Maybe it won't be so bad when I'm actually doing it. I have a great running playlist, lots of dance music, pop, all with great beats and I love running in time to them, it's the closest I get to going out dancing these days!

I switched to listening to the radio on my last two runs. I was getting bored of just music, and I don't need to rely on a constant beat to keep me going as much as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What's the C25K app like? This one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.active.aps.c25k

Or is there a free one that counts the time for you? I just want something that keeps me going through the minutes without having to look at times on my phone.

I'm planning on starting this this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What's the C25K app like? This one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.active.aps.c25k

Or is there a free one that counts the time for you? I just want something that keeps me going through the minutes without having to look at times on my phone.

That's the one I had. I loved it - you can play music with it and it lowers the music when it's giving you the next cue to jog or walk. If you turn on GPS, it also maps out all of your runs and gives you stats on your pace afterwards, and the log tells you when you've beaten your best distance or time.

It's not as basic as just counting the time for you, but I really appreciated the extra bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

That is an excellent app, has so many great features :)

Not compatible with my crappy Android phone. :(

Edit: Apparently this one is. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rundouble.companion&feature=related_apps

So I'll try that one as there's a trial.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.c25k&hl=en is the one I use (but I use it for the iPhone).
    It's free, and deadly - it cuts music momentarily to inform the action to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Not compatible with my crappy Android phone. :(

Edit: Apparently this one is. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rundouble.companion&feature=related_apps

So I'll try that one as there's a trial.

What Android have you got ? I have a wildfire and it works fine on that :)

kingtut wrote: »
    What Android have you got ? I have a wildfire and it works fine on that :)

A Samsung Galaxy Ace. Google's store just said it wasn't compatible.

Woop! Just did the first day. There was only one point in the whole thing that was really bad, but that passed as soon as I got to the next walking interval. I started out with the first set of walk/run going fairly tamely, and once I managed that I picked it up a bit. I did have a moment of panic when I first started jogging though. Both my knees clicked and I thought, "Whoa no! My legs are going to break!" They didn't and I managed the whole thing.

Here's a link to my times. 2.17 miles and 380 calories burned including the warm up and cool down walks. :D

Just did W6D3, 25 min run. It was grand, I was in a bad/down mood starting it so I went hell for leather at the start, of course this caught up with me and the middle was a struggle. I think it's time to break out the 3/4 length leggings because I was roasting. I did enjoy it though, as long as I didn't look at myself in the mirror, the ol' double D's don't seem to care much for the sports bra I have, must get a new one that resembles duct tape :p

I'm stupidly unimpressed with myself. I'm bored now that the intervals are gone and it's just long runs, bizarrely feels like less of a challenge. I'm hoping it dawns on me soon that I can actually run! A feat that was impossible 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Just did W6D3, 25 min run. It was grand, I was in a bad/down mood starting it so I went hell for leather at the start, of course this caught up with me and the middle was a struggle. I think it's time to break out the 3/4 length leggings because I was roasting. I did enjoy it though, as long as I didn't look at myself in the mirror, the ol' double D's don't seem to care much for the sports bra I have, must get a new one that resembles duct tape :p

I'm stupidly unimpressed with myself. I'm bored now that the intervals are gone and it's just long runs, bizarrely feels like less of a challenge. I'm hoping it dawns on me soon that I can actually run! A feat that was impossible 6 weeks ago.

CC there's a 10k program that has much more intervals, maybe try that? Someone posted it here...I think it was Pem asking about it?

I love the long runs. I find if I stop, I won't start again so I'm better continuing on! I did 15km today, delighted!

Or you could mix up your work out a bit and do some cycling or cross trainer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lucyfur wrote: »
    CC there's a 10k program that has much more intervals, maybe try that? Someone posted it here...I think it was Pem asking about it?

I love the long runs. I find if I stop, I won't start again so I'm better continuing on! I did 15km today, delighted!

Or you could mix up your work out a bit and do some cycling or cross trainer?

If you look up TheRunningBug.Co.UK they have 10k interval plans. Also I think the Bridge to 10k might have a few intervals as well.

Well done on the 15k Lucyfur!

Advertisement