Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Wurly wrote: »
    I ran my first 20 mins today using this app. I cannot believe I managed to run that long without stopping. I was always looking at today's run as my nemesis wondering how the hell I was going to do it. Now I can confidently see myself completing the whole thing with ease. This is coming from someone who did zero exercise before starting the app 5 weeks ago. Im so thrilled.:)

Yep I hadn't done any exercise before starting this 9 weeks ago, to be honest I was full sure I'd just stop doing it at around Week 4 or 5, that my interest would disappear and I'd just disappear shamefully off this thread. But it's so rewarding to keep it up isn't it? My whole family and friends are fascinated lol.

Also, for anyone looking at buying a new sports bra, the Shock Absorber one I got is brilliant, €32 special offer on Elverys.ie. Nothing moves once it's on!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Started week 5 today. First run was ok but got tougher after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Wurly wrote: »
    I ran my first 20 mins today using this app. I cannot believe I managed to run that long without stopping. I was always looking at today's run as my nemesis wondering how the hell I was going to do it. Now I can confidently see myself completing the whole thing with ease. This is coming from someone who did zero exercise before starting the app 5 weeks ago. Im so thrilled.:)

Deadly - nice one, Wurly!
    I finished the program a few weeks ago, and I've kept up running 3 times a week, every week, and it feels so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

quaalude wrote: »
    Deadly - nice one, Wurly!
    I finished the program a few weeks ago, and I've kept up running 3 times a week, every week, and it feels so great.

Well done doll. That's fantastic. ;)

W9 D2, even though my podcast ends with just one day in W9. Covered 6.2km altogether, google maps tells me 4.7/4.8km of that was the run. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed because based on where I was this time compared to W9D1 when she gave half way and 5 mins left warnings I thought I had made it to 5k, humph.

Still good going though. I find I overheat so badly though, 4 or 5 mins into the run I'm roasting and stay that way, hate the feel of the t shirt on my upper back, want air at it! I dunno how I'd run in summer, the only thing keeping it bearable is the biting breeze, brings such lovely relief. The sun had me roasting completely today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Hey everyone :) I have a 5K and 10K runs coming up in a few months and I would love some Android app recommendations to keep me motivated when training and to track everything while I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have been lurking and decided to join in and start getting fit again. I have had bronchitis three times this winter and gotten woefully out of shape.

Did W1D1 today. Ended up walking through 2 of the runs but other than that it seemed pretty good.

Hope I am not hobbling tomorrow :o

Has this thread gone quiet or am I imagining things (which is entirely possible)?

Last day today, W9 D3. I should be really happy, but I'm not :o:( I absolutely belted it, ran so fast my legs ached like they haven't done since the beginning, was determined to do 5k in 30 mins for my last day...and I didn't. I did 4.7km, the same as the last day. There was a ferociously strong freezing cold wind blowing at me for about 15 minutes in the middle, and it really slowed me down. Was fighting so hard to keep my pace against it, and my ponytail kept getting caught in crosswinds between houses and slowed me down more!

I'm sure this disappointment will fade a bit later when I realise what I've completed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm still not doing 5k. Didn't go out Monday or last night as just didn't want to!!!

Going out tonight and regardless of time I'm running 5k.

CC I've said it before and I'll say it again till you listen :p You've gone from no running to this, enjoy the milestones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Has this thread gone quiet or am I imagining things (which is entirely possible)?

Last day today, W9 D3. I should be really happy, but I'm not :o:( I absolutely belted it, ran so fast my legs ached like they haven't done since the beginning, was determined to do 5k in 30 mins for my last day...and I didn't. I did 4.7km, the same as the last day. There was a ferociously strong freezing cold wind blowing at me for about 15 minutes in the middle, and it really slowed me down. Was fighting so hard to keep my pace against it, and my ponytail kept getting caught in crosswinds between houses and slowed me down more!

I'm sure this disappointment will fade a bit later when I realise what I've completed :(

Congrats on finishing! Don't worry about not reaching 5k in the 30 minutes yet - it sounds like horrible conditions and I'm sure that on any other occasion, you'd manage it.

It does get much easier as well. I really pushed myself in the last week of the programme to get the 5k within 30 minutes, and less than 2 months later that's actually a little slower than my 'comfortable' pace.

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »
    I'm still not doing 5k. Didn't go out Monday or last night as just didn't want to!!!

Going out tonight and regardless of time I'm running 5k.

CC I've said it before and I'll say it again till you listen :p You've gone from no running to this, enjoy the milestones :)

I was thinking of you today when I was running and getting mad, that you'd laugh at my stupid competitiveness with myself :P Silly that it's called couch to 5k but you can finish it without doing the 5k in the allotted time! I didn't keep going to 5k today because I was just f*cked up from the wind and the effort, probably won't get out again until Monday to do it but will do it then, for reals this time!

I was thinking of you today when I was running and getting mad, that you'd laugh at my stupid competitiveness with myself :P Silly that it's called couch to 5k but you can finish it without doing the 5k in the allotted time! I didn't keep going to 5k today because I was just f*cked up from the wind and the effort, probably won't get out again until Monday to do it but will do it then, for reals this time!
    Haha :p What are you like? You're doing great :D

I did 4.1km today, pushed hard. I'm still getting used to my new runners so I had to stop now and again to stretch my feet!

Haha :p What are you like? You're doing great :D

I did 4.1km today, pushed hard. I'm still getting used to my new runners so I had to stop now and again to stretch my feet!

:o

My boyfriend got new runners and wore them around the house a few times, then went for a couch to 10k run/jog, and they ripped the feet of him. Thank God mine never did anything like that, they have been so comfy from day one, delighted with them!

My mum is fascinated by me doing c25k, she said it's crazy that just 2 months ago I couldn't run at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Last day today, W9 D3. I should be really happy, but I'm not :o:( I absolutely belted it, ran so fast my legs ached like they haven't done since the beginning, was determined to do 5k in 30 mins for my last day...and I didn't. I did 4.7km, the same as the last day.:(

Hi Cerulean Chicken, when I finished C25K I was only covering 4.2 KM, I was thinking I was slow and there was something wrong. But other board members told me not to worry, pace would come with time. You are only 300 M off you could easily cover that in 2 minutes, so not bad for someone who 9 weeks ago was not running.

I knew the path that I ran and I would run until I had reached 5KM and I did that requardless of my time, so may be try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Finally, finally last Saturday in glorious sunshine in the west, I ran 5KM in just under 30 minutes :D
    Shattered after it but it felt good.

Hi Cerulean Chicken, when I finished C25K I was only covering 4.2 KM, I was thinking I was slow and there was something wrong. But other board members told me not to worry, pace would come with time. You are only 300 M off you could easily cover that in 2 minutes, so not bad for someone who 9 weeks ago was not running.

I knew the path that I ran and I would run until I had reached 5KM and I did that requardless of my time, so may be try that.

Thanks for that :) Yeah I would've run the 5k yesterday but I was exhausted from running against the wind, thought I was gonna throw up or just plain die :P

My legs don't hurt today which is amazing, woop!

I just half did w5 d3. Couldn't complete it. Stopped 3 or 4 times within the 20 minutes. Feel a bit meh. Been kinda ok up until now but today was a struggle. :(

I just half did w5 d3. Couldn't complete it. Stopped 3 or 4 times within the 20 minutes. Feel a bit meh. Been kinda ok up until now but today was a struggle. :(

Did you stop completely or walk a bit til you caught your breath?

Stopped and walked until I caught my breath. But at the end I had to stop and just walk home. :o

Stopped and walked until I caught my breath. But at the end I had to stop and just walk home. :o

Well that's not so bad, at least you were able to keep walking.

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose that's true. I think I might repeat today or maybe day 2 until I feel a bit happier :)

Did you get good runners PP?

Did you get good runners PP?

Not yet. I've been saving so I'm planning on getting some either tomorrow or Monday.

Not yet. I've been saving so I'm planning on getting some either tomorrow or Monday.

They would make a huge difference to how long you can run for.

They would make a huge difference to how long you can run for.

Yeah I think it would so I might leave the running for a couple of days maybe. I'll head to Elverys in the next few days.

PP I'm quoting the below for you and CC, you're running more than you've ever gone before. That is key. Not what an app says or what boards says. You're freaking running. Please remember this.
    Well that's not so bad, at least you were able to keep walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Hi! *waves*

Just printed off the c25k plan... here goes!!

Need to achieve this for myself or I'll be very disappointed, but ye all are class so hopefully this thread will help if I'm feeling lazy!

Kthanksbyeeeeee

Good luck Kate.

Went out on Monday and did 4.6km. I was happy with it but my toes are going kinda numb and I wonder if it's the new runners! Has anyone experienced this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Good luck Kate.

Went out on Monday and did 4.6km. I was happy with it but my toes are going kinda numb and I wonder if it's the new runners! Has anyone experienced this?

May sound obvious but are you lacing them too tightly?

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    May sound obvious but are you lacing them too tightly?
    Not sure, going out tomorrow so will see. I wear orthotics and wondering if it's that!

Advertisement