Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Week 2 day 1 this morning. Disappointed with how difficult I found it. I was all geared up after a good day Thursday but really struggled today. 90 seconds of running felt never-ending. Hopefully Monday will be better and in the meantime I'm blaming the heat!

I always found D1 of each week hard, every week. D2 got a little easier (probably because I was buoyed by completing D1), then D3 a little easier still.
    So as long as I could drag my arse through D1 I knew the week would be OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stephen king audiobook: 34 hours
    say that'll be effective getting me out most days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭fits

W4D1 done. Big step up but managed it ok. I find its my muscles and joints that are the limiting factor rather than my aerobic or cardiovascular fitness. In that way, the slow progression is good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Did my first run in about three months, have been at about a dozen football training sessions since though. 2.5km in about 20 mins, 28 degree heat was tough - water running off me!!

Think i overdid things this weekend after being ill last week... Two runs in two days as i didn't want to fall behind on schedule. Also went swimming and cycling yesterday and had a late night Saturday. and after all that, couldn't sleep last night. I'm wrecked today..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm so impressed with myself that I got this done today even if I was being lapped by snails I was going so slow :D The main thing is I did the full 3 minute runs! It was very warm this morning but hopefully I will do them a little faster during the next two days of it.

That's brilliant well done :)
    Got more 90s ones to do tonight/tomorrow then I'm on to week 3 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did my first run in about three months, have been at about a dozen football training sessions since though. 2.5km in about 20 mins, 28 degree heat was tough - water running off me!!
    After a real struggle on Thursday and Friday, I've decided to stick to swimming in the outdoor pool for a few days until it cools off! Tis hard work running in this heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Just in from week 2 day 2. Waited til late to let the heat die down and I'm glad I did, it's hot out there. Many thanks for all the words of encouragement, found today much much better. Was comfortably managing the 90 seconds. Proud of myself now!

W2d3 done :) not easy but very doable
    we'll see what w3 holds!
    If I have any trouble I'm tempted to just do a longer workout with frequent short runs, I think I could have handled more and it'd be helpful
    didn't want to get up any earlier though

• Advertisement

So.. went out this evening for W4 D2. Actually remembered to switch on map my run for the first time so switched it on at apartment before five minute warm up. Took off slowly, couldn't really get into a rhythm, was half bored, half not bothered so on final five minute run when she said there was 2 and a half minutes to go, I thought, hey I will pick up speed for final minute to push the fitness. Only when I picked up the speed, suddenly I got into a beautiful rhythm. Time was up and I thought it'd be a shame to stop when I was only just getting into it so I ran on for an extra three minutes. I only pulled up when I ran out of good surface.

I stopped and checked map my run. It said I ran a distance of 2.84 and I was really disappointed, until I realised it was MILES! So I did 2.84 miles in approximately 32 minutes and that included the five minute warm up walk. Now the GPS is probably off... but that is pretty close to 3.1 isn't it???

Just checked online and it says 4.2 kilometres in 32 minutes. :D

Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Only saw this thread now, I'm starting week 5 tomorrow. Trying not to think about the fact I have a twenty minute run at the end of the week. I normally go out at 7.30am but I think I may have to go a bit earlier for this one.

Running on a treadmill is so much easier :confused:
    I did my w3d1 today with the runs at 7.5 kph. 90min run, 3 min run, x2. So easy I did it x3 instead. Then I put on the black eyed peas and sprinted at 10 kph for 3 mns :confused::confused:
    I may not actually be unfit after all?!?!
    lol

Audiobook and a treadmill, that's the way forward
    Very happy now!

Looking forward to swimming day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Fair play to anyone going out in this weather - I've been terribly lazy and am using the heat as an excuse.

But I was all ready to go out about half an hour ago but then my dad talked me out of it. He'd just walked around to the shop and said it was too hot! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lassie73

Is it hard to get out on the first run for couch to 5k? I have downloaded a few apps, cleaned my runners, bought a new pair of running shorts...but cannot get the motivation to get up and go as I feel that I won't be able to achieve the first day run! Any motivational tips other than get off the couch??!!

Less think, more do. Just give it a go. Don't worry if it seems difficult at first, take the runs very slowly and most of all just enjoy it!

(if you're sensitive to the heat, then run early mornings or late evenings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Lassie73 wrote: »
    Is it hard to get out on the first run for couch to 5k? I have downloaded a few apps, cleaned my runners, bought a new pair of running shorts...but cannot get the motivation to get up and go as I feel that I won't be able to achieve the first day run! Any motivational tips other than get off the couch??!!

You won't know until you try will you?? I found the first day doable, and I had never run before in my life. I found the whole thing doable actually, was very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Lassie73 wrote: »

Just go as slow as you can and when you're going slow try to go even slower. The worst thing you can do is go out too fast and end up putting yourself off it for good!

Went out this morning for what turned out to be mainly a walk with a few half hearted attempts to run. I didn't want to push myself too much as I haven't been running in a few months.

Dear god, the heat was something else. I was dripping with sweat by the time I got home. The cold shower afterwards was bliss though. :)

Was pleasantly surprised to see that I'd done nearly 4.8km - didn't think it was that far at all. Took 39 mins.

I'm going to try to get out earlier in future and hopefully it will be more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Getting my bum back in gear (again)!
    Finished week 3 of c2 5/10k for the third time!
    Getting out tomorrow to start week 1 for the first time. 2 5 minute runs sounds daunting though! Looking forward to seeing how I manage it.

It's cloudy and a bit cooler here today so conditions are better for running than the last few days.

I did a bit more than 5k today, alternating jogging and walking. So the same principle as C25k but as I've done it a few times already I don't really want to start it again!

Just trying to improve my fitness at this stage; it's really declined these last few months. :(

Did w3d2 today with the extra intervals and sprint at the end, was cool. Then a bit of a swim
    Hobbling around now :pac:

I was snowed under in work last week so missed Thursdays run. Was going to a music festival Saturday and Sunday so said id go Saturday morning or id miss too many days.

So went for a run in the sun. Got back and changed quickly. Went to friends house for coffee and pancakes. Went to festival and spent all day in the sun (about 22 degrees) drinking beer.

I forgot to drink any water.

Energy left me at around 10pm and could barely get home. Was woeful sick Sunday morning. I can't believe I was so stupid. I didn't feel dehydrated at any stage during the day. It happens so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have been popping in now and again to check this thread but I haven't been running more than once a week. To my shame. Loads of excuses as always...

I have a 14k road fun run next month and I'm bricking it. (80m climb at the end..):o

All i have done is light runs 7-8k and now I need to pull the figure out in a big way. So can I realistically double my distance in a month?

Lets find out..... :confused:

I saw cute bunnies on my run today!! <3

GPS stopped working after 4.3k so I don't know what distance I did, but I was out for about 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I beat the heat by going out for a run at 5.15am last Saturday. It was very serene and beautiful.

6b440792-1b9b-4048-972f-9a95dfa73e80_zps8edd9399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

quaalude wrote: »
    I beat the heat by going out for a run at 5.15am last Saturday. It was very serene and beautiful.

Gorgeous. We've been walking there in the evenings with the little fella and the dogs. Never really thought of heading out that direction for a run! Must clock from my house to there and see what distance I'd have to get up to to do it.

Skipped to w4d1 this morning for the hell of it
    Ow...
    Still, I ran for 5 whole mins twice. Twice! :eek:
    /hobbles off proudly

did a 2.45 min sprint at the end on an incline again ;s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Well my enthusiastic start to C25k came to an abrupt halt the other day! Spent some of yesterday checking I do not have a broken ankle, thankfully it's just a bad sprain but doctor reckons it could be up to four weeks before it'll be right. So my get fit campaign is on hold temporarily!

Advertisement