Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

At the start of the summer (end of May) I was overweight and decided to make some changes to diet and exercise. I'm 5'0" and was 11 stone 4 on 31st May. Was away travelling for a couple of weeks in June where I ate healthily and had little or no junk, and no alcohol at all. Continued to build up a routine of preparing healthy meals since I got home. Currently weight 10 stone 7, so delighted with the loss but have a long way to go yet. Have struggled with my weight over the years but when I did get to a healthy weight in the past, I never had a plan in place to maintain it and eventually bad habits crept back in and weight crept back up. I had not been so overweight as I was 8 weeks ago in 12-13 years though so it was a shock to the system when I stood on the scales although I knew I had put on weight from clothes not fitting me etc.

Anyway, the biggest problem in the past was not incorporating any/enough regular exercise, so I have embarked on the C25K now that I have dropped some of the extra weight. I spent hours last week reading this whole thread and it's very inspiring to say the least. Last week I decided would be Week 0 just to see how (bad) my fitness level was. I was following the basic premise of week 1 of run 1 minute and then walk. Oh my god, it was an eye opener to see how badly out of shape I was. I was able to do a 1 minute run, the following one was 45 seconds and the third was 30 seconds and I was fit to collapse so I walked the rest of the way. At this point in the past I'd have probably given up. But I went out again 2 days later to try and improve, and did two 1 minute runs and 2 30 second runs along a logging trail I walk my dogs on regularly. On the way back I did a 1 minute run and two 30 second runs. Still not good enough but an improvement on the first run. Also finding it tough going with the weather at the moment. Never thought I'd be looking for the temperatures to be a few degrees cooler.

So I got up early this morning determined to start Week 1 properly and see how I got on. Managed the first four minute runs in their entirety although the last 10 seconds of each was a killer. The fifth and sixth minute I wasn't able to do the full minute, got to 45 seconds on each and had to walk. So instead of doing what should be the seventh minute I did an extra 'run' and did another 45 second to make up for the bit I hadn't run on the 5th and 6th minute. Took a slightly longer walk after that 2.5 mins instead of 1.5 and managed to do the 7th and 8th minute in their entirety. Was delighted, not to mind wrecked after it, a deer crossed my path on the 8th minute so that distracted me enough to get to the end of the last minute.

Am determined to get to 5k in the next couple of months, only taking baby steps for now, but can't believe how good I felt going home, have never run that much in my whole life, and couldn't believe the difference after today's run in comparison to the first and second day, no stiffness this evening.

Hoping it will bring some weight loss along with the fitness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well done rainbow!
    The very first time I did this program, I managed 4 of the one min runs then thought I was going to die and collapsed on my bed puffing for ages :p
    and now here I am, and I know I've done 20min runs since then :)
    so keep it up and good work

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well done rainbow!
    The very first time I did this program, I managed 4 of the one min runs then thought I was going to die and collapsed on my bed puffing for ages :p
    and now here I am, and I know I've done 20min runs since then :)
    so keep it up and good work

Thanks, and wow at 20 minutes. I can only dream of that at the moment. I read a lot about C25K online in the last while and everyone seemed to be able to do week 1, and I was thinking, there has to be other people out there like me who weren't able to do the Week 1 session properly the first week. I'm actually looking forward to the next session which I never thought I'd say about running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Never thought I'd be looking for the temperatures to be a few degrees cooler.

The weather is madness so it is. I've never got past week 1 (last time I stopped with shin splints that the doctor told me I could run through, silly doctor.) But I started back again this week. When I was last doing it it was in a hilly area near my parents place. This time it's in totally flat area. I'm covering pretty much the same distance despite it being flat and I'm sure it's down to the weather. It's just so energy sapping for exercise, even at 8pm. Better than rain though.

Does anyone do other exercise with the C25K? I'm really enjoying cycling these days so I think I'm going to mix it up. The days I don't have time to cycle I'm going to do some of the C25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ima_goldfish!

Hey people, im just joining because i started the c25k this week! I am struggling a little bit but trying my best to keep going. This thread is so encouraging though. I was recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and im determined not to put the weight i lost back on, so I plan to be pounding the pavement! Am also keeping an eye on local 5k runs that i might be able to run after I complete the program!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

It's too hot to run really but i tried it anyway and ended up going home earlier than I intended - the heat was just too much. I did pretty well actually, just would have liked to do another lap but I didn't have it in me.

If I could get up an hour earlier it would be a bit easier.

Glad I went out anyway; now I can lie out in the garden and read, guilt free. :cool:

Did my w4d2 went well despite being wrecked and hungry! I sprinted for the whole thrift shop song after :eek: 3.50!! :cool: shorter swim after that though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, and wow at 20 minutes. I can only dream of that at the moment. I read a lot about C25K online in the last while and everyone seemed to be able to do week 1, and I was thinking, there has to be other people out there like me who weren't able to do the Week 1 session properly the first week. I'm actually looking forward to the next session which I never thought I'd say about running.

Good to hear. The beauty of the C25K is that you set the terms, and can redo a week or two if you want. No one would think less of you for it. You're the one out there off the sofa, after all. Tbh, I much preferred it to most of the PE stuff we did in school.

That's a great photo, quaalude.

I don't know what the thrift shop song is. Should I be afraid? :pac:

Ha no just needed something lively and catchy to keep me going, it's by macklemore and on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have fallen off the wagon. festivals, sun, travelling and work. Maybe tomorrow a run and a swim in the morning would be nice....

• Advertisement

Well just back from W1D2 and completed all the runs! I'm delighted. Saw the deer again tonight on my last run, I think they are coming out to cheer me on :D At least that's what I'm telling myself. The heat is a killer so I left it until late this evening, but the runs were easier than they were when I posted about W1D1 a couple of days ago. I wouldn't say I got to the end of each minute with ease, but I didn't fall short on any of them this time! Woo-hoo!

Saw the deer again tonight on my last run, I think they are coming out to cheer me on :D At least that's what I'm telling myself.
    If I see a cute dog or a rabbit on a run I always tell myself that it is a little reward for me for getting off my arse and going out. :)

It's much cooler here today; cloudy and a bit of a breeze. Made it a LOT easier! I ran (very slowly) for 21 minutes without stopping! Very proud. I'd like the sun to come back for the afternoon now please.

Will have to remember to spray myself with insect repellent next time I go out because I'm being harassed by flies. :mad: It's hard to find the energy to swat them away when I'm trying to keep moving.

Well I finished W1D3 this morning and I found it tougher than Day 2. I had a dodgy tummy last night, we have cryptosporidium in our water supply for the last two months in my area (sort it out council!!) and I drank a glass of water from the tap without thinking. I assume that's it. Anyway, didn't feel 100% going out but decided to do it anyway. Did all the runs but it wasn't as easy as a few days ago. Will advance to W2D1 on next run and see how that goes.

Well I finished W1D3 this morning and I found it tougher than Day 2. I had a dodgy tummy last night, we have cryptosporidium in our water supply for the last two months in my area (sort it out council!!) and I drank a glass of water from the tap without thinking. I assume that's it. Anyway, didn't feel 100% going out but decided to do it anyway. Did all the runs but it wasn't as easy as a few days ago. Will advance to W2D1 on next run and see how that goes.
    Well done on completing week 1, especially with a dodgy tummy! :)

I found the week on week progression in the early stages manageable; but it did get a bit intimidating later on. You can always repeat weeks if needed.

I just went for a brisk walk today instead of running as my legs were a bit sore after yesterday. I'm prone to shin splints so don't want to push my luck when it's being going well. I'll see how they're feeling tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I did this yesterday morning. In my sleepy state, I read the blurb wrong and thought the shorter runs were 90 seconds but of course they were 3 minutes. I found the first one incredibly long (naturally :D) but I'm kinda glad I didn't know how long it was, I kept on going and managed the full thing (3mins 5mins x 2)...barely. Looking forward to seeing how I do with it tomorrow.

Does everyone do consecutive days? I try to do Mon-Wed-Fri though I don't always manage all three. I suppose I'd see more results if I did it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mon-Wed-Fri is better when you are starting out, particularly in terms of letting your body adjust and avoiding injury.

I finally copped my "sprinting" speed would only mean a 30min 5k
    and my jogging speed would be a 40min one
    I think I'll gradually increase the speed and incline ;s
    Didn't get to go over the weekend, tomorrow morning it is

I finally copped my "sprinting" speed would only mean a 30min 5k
    and my jogging speed would be a 40min one
    I think I'll gradually increase the speed and incline ;s
    Didn't get to go over the weekend, tomorrow morning it is
    Doing a 30 min 5k is my goal! The speed I'm doing at the minute would be about 37 mins. I'm not too bothered about speed at the minute, just really trying to improve my fitness.

I fecking forgot the insect repellent AGAIN today. I picked up a fly along the route and I just couldn't get rid of it, despite swatting like crazy! I'm extra cautious because I got bitten by a fly on my ankle last week and it's still bothering me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good website to buy running gear from?

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Doing a 30 min 5k is my goal! The speed I'm doing at the minute would be about 37 mins. I'm not too bothered about speed at the minute, just really trying to improve my fitness.

I fecking forgot the insect repellent AGAIN today. I picked up a fly along the route and I just couldn't get rid of it, despite swatting like crazy! I'm extra cautious because I got bitten by a fly on my ankle last week and it's still bothering me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good website to buy running gear from?

sportsdirect.com
    Plus the free giant mug gifts :cool:

It's my goal too but that pace is pretty fast for me so I need to get the jogging a bit closer and the short "sprinting" a bit faster

sportsdirect.com
    Plus the free giant mug gifts :cool:

It's my goal too but that pace is pretty fast for me so I need to get the jogging a bit closer and the short "sprinting" a bit faster
    Cool I'll check it out. My local sports shop only seems to have short shorts. I don't wear short shorts! :pac:

That's the great thing about running on a treadmill - you have more control over your speed. I have a GPS watch so I can keep track of my speed but I keep slowing down unconsciously anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Cool I'll check it out. My local sports shop only seems to have short shorts. I don't wear short shorts! :pac:

My current favourite running shorts are a Karrimor pair I got for 6.99 in Sports Direct - great value to be had there!

Thanks guys! I just ordered a pair of shorts, a few t-shirts and socks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi girls I'm doing this also - didn't realise there was a thread in the ladies lounge about it!

I'm on week 4 day 1 tonight! It's going ok so far anyway but I'm kinda dreading it the week after next cos my friend who I go running with is going away to Germany for 10 days with work so I'm gonna have to try to keep it up myself!!

I don't do it every second day either - is this bad? I usually do it either Mon/Tues or Tues/Wed and then Sunday.

And... back on the wagon. Did another week four yesterday and really enjoyed it. Week 5 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 6 Day 1 done yesterday. It wasn't too bad, but the heat doesn't make things easy. I'm hoping that when the autumn comes, I'll be flying it with the cooler weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Great to see so many people doing the C25K, I did it last year and its changed my life. I'm fit for the first time in my entire adult life, my weight is getting back to a healthy number for the first time in a long time and the depression which has blighted me the last 5 years has reduced to an occassional occurance rather than the daily companion it was.

I found C25K quite tough at times and repeated weeks and had lots of self doubt but the advice and support here really helped me keep going, I would have been lost without it.

I'm still running 3 times a week and loving it, its become an essential part of my routine and I'm doing my first half marathon in a few weeks. Never ever did I think I would ever be a runner or keeping it up to this extent, its an amazing thing you're all doing so keep it up and keep posting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did W4D2 today and I still found it quite tough. I managed to do all runs but I have to admit that I was cursing yer man's little voice for not telling me to change my pace to a brisk walk a lot sooner :D If I find W4D3 as tough, I think I will repeat the week. I'm in no hurry to the end and am happy with myself to be out exercising a few mornings a week :)

Ran faster today, bumped the intervals up from 7.5 kph to 8 and on a small incline. Nearly killed me and I was checking the times a bit more but I got there. Bumped up my "sprint" at the end from 10 kph to 11, and that really did nearly kill me :D Managed 3min50 of it (thanks, doctor who action theme) then gasped like I was dying for a min then did another minute sprint on the incline this time
    /hobbles off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I miss doing this. I injured myself very soon after finishing it and haven't been able to run without it acting up in months. I did a 10 minute run on grass a couple of weeks ago and that's it, too afraid to make it worse. I'm going to the doctor for something else next week so am going to ask about the injury then, hopefully he has positive words and I can get back to it soon! Can't believe how addictive running is, so relaxing.

• Advertisement

I miss doing this. I injured myself very soon after finishing it and haven't been able to run without it acting up in months. I did a 10 minute run on grass a couple of weeks ago and that's it, too afraid to make it worse. I'm going to the doctor for something else next week so am going to ask about the injury then, hopefully he has positive words and I can get back to it soon! Can't believe how addictive running is, so relaxing.

I find physios are normally much better than doctors for injuries. might be worth trying?

Advertisement