Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

pampootie wrote: »
    can't remember exactly where I downloaded it but it's by iestyn lloyd-googled it and you should be able to get them from http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/couch-to-5k/id330693850 or http://www.zaptunes.com/free-download/Iestyn+Lloyd.
    love your username btw. will the conchords make it onto your running playlist?! :)
    Thanks for that. Oh, of course! Jemaine and Bret will be highly motivating. May have to stop to laugh though.

Have decided to take a week off until my knees are completely better because I'm worried I might injure myself. Then I'll go to my local running shop to make sure my shoes are okay and repeat week 3.

Oh, and good luck Rainbow Kirby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Best of luck rainbow kirby! :)

I finally took the plunge.
    043807.jpg
    and got me some proper runners! :)

I was gonna buy with pigsback to get some piggypoints but it shows 10e more expensive! :mad::mad: Oh well their loss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Did w8 d3 today was running outside and feeling good so after the 28 mins I kept running did 5k in 39 mins 32 seconds delighted with myself! Cant believe next run im on the last week of the programme never in a million years did I think id get this far still cant believe it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Ok, i just signed up for the womens mini marathon
    Is anyone else doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

yep have signed up too :D
    have mostly walked bit of jogging other years but this year i aim to run it all :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When is signup closed for it?
    I intend to do it also

bluewolf wrote: »
    I intend to do it also

they have a quota as to how many can take part ie health and safety.. when they reach that quota they will stop, usually it is open till sometime in april but sign up now BLUEWOLF.... only 18 euro.... Osky wants you to take part :P

Im only walking it, as its my first year.
    Few questions for people that have done it before.
    Is it easier to drive in or get bus?
    Where do you put things like keys and money?

I intend to do it also

I need people to do it with me :D

Good on ya Snoopy, there is always a great atmosphere on the day, i would say get bus in (that is what i do) but i bring a change of clothes with me so i dont get cold afterwards with the sweat ! there is a baggage area so you can leave your stuff there.. i usually bring my phone and keys with me and leave bank cards at home - as in carry my keys and phone on me....
    One word of warning, when you are in the walkers section you can be a while getting to the actual start line (my first time it took me 30 mins to get to the start line...) i think sonia o'sullivan had finished by the time i started!!

• Advertisement

Is the area secure where you leave your baggage?
    Did you carry anything with you on the actual race?
    Non of my clothes have pockets

Snoopy1 wrote: »

carry my phone and keys on me... leave bank cards at home.... leave clothes in the baggage area... i always have a jacket of some sort with me.. tie it round my waist if needs be but you do need something with at least one pocket...:)

Yeah I'll sign up now so

I don't know what section I'm in, I have no official chip time from anything so I suppose walk/jog is me

Important - Before commencing your On-Line Entry you must have:
    A valid Credit Card, we accept Laser, Visa or Mastercard.
    A working printer attached to your computer print your Acceptance Letter(s).

I've no printer lads, I'll sign up at work on monday

Hmm any ideas what i can use to carry keys and phone, a small bag or something?

get a bumbag :p

Yeah I'll sign up now so

I don't know what section I'm in, I have no official chip time from anything so I suppose walk/jog is me

Important - Before commencing your On-Line Entry you must have:
    A valid Credit Card, we accept Laser, Visa or Mastercard.
    A working printer attached to your computer print your Acceptance Letter(s).

You can print acceptance letter anytime. They send you an email.

get a bumbag :p

Oh god its years since i wore one of those. Its a good idea though

no excuses bluewolf :), you can do the entry and then relogon at a later date and print your acceptance letter :D

(god i am an awful bossy b*tch aren't i??)

Oh god its years since i wore one of those. Its a good idea though

they call them fanny bags in america :D

Ramette wrote: »
    they call them fanny bags in america :D

Oh Brilliant :D
    Does anywhere still sell them?

• Advertisement

I just panicked as they said it in bold and "important"!
    Ok, entered as a jogger but not a fast jogger.

Oh Brilliant :D
    Does anywhere still sell them?

i would imagine 'cheap' bag shops would have them? tis a long time since i bought one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hello ladies! So I've just finished W2D3! Yay, cannot believe I'm on week 3. I am literally the most unfit person in the world so I'm very heppy!

However, the last run was sooooo hard. As in, I nearly puked when I finished and got light headed and everything. I wonder (I know this probably sounds stupid) but is it something to do with what I ate, or didn't eat. I haven't eaten since about 10am this morning (it's now 5pm my time) and not on purpose or anything, just coz I'm going out to dinner tonight and always like to starve myself a little before. :P

So what I'm wondering is what should you eat before a run and how long before a run should you eat? Sounds like a riddle !

Kimia wrote: »
    Hello ladies! So I've just finished W2D3! Yay, cannot believe I'm on week 3. I am literally the most unfit person in the world so I'm very heppy!

However, the last run was sooooo hard. As in, I nearly puked when I finished and got light headed and everything. I wonder (I know this probably sounds stupid) but is it something to do with what I ate, or didn't eat. I haven't eaten since about 10am this morning (it's now 5pm my time) and not on purpose or anything, just coz I'm going out to dinner tonight and always like to starve myself a little before. :P

So what I'm wondering is what should you eat before a run and how long before a run should you eat? Sounds like a riddle !
    Totally depends. Sometimes I run before and sometimes after eating. I'd give it at least an hour though

Yes good idea Bluewolf, I don't want any.. discomfort happening when I'm 2k away from home.

I'm thinking cereal would be a good way to get a nice carby sugar rush before a run - what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I always wait about an hour to an hour and a half before and after a workout to eat.

And honestly if you nearly puked I wouldn't really worry about it too much unless it happens on a continuous basis. When I started the couch25k way back when I puked the first time, my boyfriend also went through the same thing when he used to train. I don't know what caused it but I have never found it to be a sign of illness or anything. If it does persist maybe go to your doctor and just get a check up to make sure everything is ticking over okay.

Thanks Pixiebean (love your username btw!) - I know I'm not sick, I don't feel ill or anything, it must be my own stupidity for going out without any fuel! I'll know better in the future. :)

Thanks Pixiebean (love your username btw!) - I know I'm not sick, I don't feel ill or anything, it must be my own stupidity for going out without any fuel! I'll know better in the future. :)

lol thanks! Just if it persists head to your doctor but I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I have seen and heard of this a lot from people who take up exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm thinking cereal would be a good way to get a nice carby sugar rush before a run - what do you think?

I go for a big bowl of porridge before heading out on the bike but I'm gonna be out for about two hours so the slow release from the porridge is appropriate. Dunno if it would suit a 30 min run.

• Advertisement

Yes good idea Bluewolf, I don't want any.. discomfort happening when I'm 2k away from home.

banana? slow energy release.

Advertisement