Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

fits wrote: »
    I find physios are normally much better than doctors for injuries. might be worth trying?

I don't have the money for a few appointments with a physio, I've had to go to some a few times in the last few years with back/neck problems and never got much help from them tbh, an osteopath did the most good. My injury doesn't cause me problems in every day life, just when I run, I'm going to the doctor for something else so I'm just going to mention the running thing, if he can help he can help, with advice, medical opinion of what might heal it/how long it might take, if he can't I just won't run that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I did W2D1 this evening. I was apprehensive about it as I found W1D3 tough (see post about dodgy tummy a few days ago).

But it wasn't that bad. Found the fourth run tough, thought I'd keel over, but made it through all of them and now I know that if I managed it today I'll be able to do the other two runs this week, so I'm pretty pleased. Can't believe I can run 1.5 minute intervals. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Wasn't sure about going out today because I was sure I'd get rained on. Glad I risked it because it was dry and the sun even came out for a while!

I did 6k overall today - a lot of that was walking but I did two 10 minute runs and one 5 minute run. Feeling pretty good. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went out this morning and did W5R1. All good. Second run in a row where I got soaked but prefer running in the rain to the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did w5d1 too!
    I'm going to go "lalala" and not think of the other ones next
    I can't do it on an incline yet though :( Just did incline 1.0 as 2.0 was too much even
    Did my sprint at the end for 5 mins this time, and got into some kind of zone... mind spaced out, not quite wheezing yet, legs just running of their own accord
    It was awesome!!!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Did my sprint at the end for 5 mins this time, and got into some kind of zone... mind spaced out, not quite wheezing yet, legs just running of their own accord
    It was awesome!!!

Me too! At start of third run, I said I would try run at my higher speed for five minutes and if I couldn't keep it up, so be it. Its cool when you get into that zone :D

On another note... map my run is crap. Its really not working well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I ran for 9 minutes last night and my injury didn't play up at all :) Fine today too, except for slightly sore thighs because it's been so long since I ran that long!

Run didn't go too well today. Was tired, kinda hungry and started out too fast. Couldn't keep it up so ended up walking the rest of the time.

Could really have done with a rest day today but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out over the next few days so forced myself out.

Will be better next time. :)

Well W2D2 is complete. I'm finding that I'm finding it a little bit easier to get my breathing back to normal on the walks that I did last week, that's gotta be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just did w4d1- feel great, last 2 minutes of running were tough though! anyone whose running on a treadmill what incline do ye use? i have it on 5- is this too high d'ye think?

• Advertisement

intouch44 wrote: »
    just did w4d1- feel great, last 2 minutes of running were tough though! anyone whose running on a treadmill what incline do ye use? i have it on 5- is this too high d'ye think?

I can't even do it on 2 yet :(
    It's something I want to work on though so I've left it at 1 and try to do the "sprints" on a slightly higher one

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

I thought I was doing great but did a google search and advice seems to be 1.5 or 2 so I'm wondering if its too high, its grand now but when I get into the longer runs that could change...

I'd say keep it up while you can but don't hesitate to go back down a bit if you need

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Just in from week 2 day 3 after a 3 week gap to let my ankle heal. Found it fine in that I wasn't huffing and puffing but foot was quite sore by the end. Think I'll stay on week 2 for another day or two to manage sure I don't damage it further.

Well completed W2D3 there a while ago. Can't say it's getting easier but feeling a little more able. Looking at the 3 minute runs in week 3 with trepidation

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kechum_all

I just started this today. Really tough going, I haven't been doing much activity since I broke my leg last year. Glad to get back out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Started C5K at the weekend - my first time ever running! Had some issues with breathing but was so pleased with myself after the 30 min run/walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 6 finished yesterday!

I was really worried about the 25 minute run, because the end of week 5 did not go well. But I should not have worried, it was hard in the last 5 minutes but grand. Ok I'm not running very fast (I worked out from Google maps that I ran 3 km exactly in 25 minutes). So I know that once the official programme is finished I will have several more weeks of work to get up to 5K, but I'm really enjoying so that's no problem.

I would not have believed 2 months ago that I'd be running 25 minutes non stop! :)

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I just ordered a pair of shorts, a few t-shirts and socks. :)
    So my stuff arrived today.. all good. :) Wish I'd ordered another pair of shorts but I didn't want to go overboard in case there were issues with sizes.

Now to put it to use, eh tomorrow.

The free mug - I was so excited to open it, like a present, only to find it was broken! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Finished week 4 yesterday so onto week 5 today! I have to say I can feel myself getting a little better each time - never thought I'd say that! Running 5 minutes isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

So looking at tonights session it appears I have to do 3 sets of jogging for 5 minutes :eek: Bring it on :D

• Advertisement

Just did W5R2. It was horrible!

I have been so busy the last two weeks so last time I was out was Thursday. And I'm a bit run down from all the going.

Got up this morning, had a banana and headed out. The sun was really strong and I really felt it beating down on me. I completed it but it wasnt enjoyable at all. I know you have bad days though and the main thing is that I did it. Hopefully the next one will be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Alright guys, I am writing this down here so it's down somewhere in black and white.

I AM DOING THIS.

I have to get myself a pair of runners tomorrow when I get paid (seriously, I have nothing that would suffice as work-out shoes!) and I am determined to complete the programme. I just turned 31 this weekend and frankly I feel like sh1t. I have no energy and I jut feel stodgy. I also need to get my weight down seriously, for my health. I have to cop the feck on.

So, wish me luck! I'll do my best to post on thread when I do days, and could do with the motivation so that I'll feel guilty if I don't!!!

Good luck B&C. I love it. Love the structure of it and everything. Haven't lost much weight but just feeling fit is deadly.

That sucks about the mug! Someone in the ba thread on it said they'd try asking for another one, you could try :p

you can do it b&c then you'll be hooked too! :D

today was w5d2 and it went grand. First 8m was fine on 8kph so I bumped run 2 up to 8.5 which was a bit tougher, not out of breath really but did have to stop for 10s after 6min. Getting there!
    16mins jogging 13mins very slow walking and 6mins sprinting got me 4.17km so I think I'm on track for 5k...
    8.5kph would be a 35min 5k anyway which is a start

sportsdirect.com
    Plus the free giant mug gifts :cool:

Did you ever get charged customs from this site?

No its a UK site shouldn't be any

No its a UK site shouldn't be any

Thanks, its just it mentions it on their website that you may get charged customs depending on how much you order.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/CustomerServices/Delivery/CustomsandImportsCharges

Sorry for going OT btw, was just thinking of purchasing stuff myself so wanted to make sure!

No worries! I think that's a standard disclaimer, im fairly positive UK ire has no customs

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ima_goldfish!

I did week1, twice and found it great, however now I am supposed to be starting week2, my partner has bailed on me 2 runs in a row and I hate doing it on my own, I feel like such puffy heffelump :( I am dissapointed now to be behind and dependant on my friend who clearly isnt that dependable! Feeling very let down by myself and demotivated. I tried to do a little yoga practice today to do something but my heart just wasnt in it :(

• Advertisement

Got back running this morning after a few days off. Managed to run at a slow and steady pace for 30 mins! Delighted with myself. It was just less than 4k so a bit of work to do to get up to 5.

Thinking of signing up for the Great Pink Run at the end of August now that bluewolf has put the idea in my head! :)

ima_goldfish - Don't let doing it on your own put you off. I think most people here are doing it alone. Try not to think about it; just get out and do it! I used to feel really self conscious going running and I still do sometimes if I stop to think about it - so I don't think about it! :)

I see a lot of the same people where I go running and all of them are much better than me! I don't let it put me off - whenever I see somebody out walking or running I think "fair play to them for making an effort!"

Advertisement