Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Kimia i normally eat a piece of fruit and a few nuts or a yogurt about 40 mins before a run :)
    W7D1 done.. phew! i can now relax for the rest of the weekend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I think I might repeat W3 altogether.

Blue, I was just looking at my app this morning....I just realised I STARTED week 3....I was getting frustrated at week two! :o Ah, my competitive streak is coming out already!

Went for a run around Tallaght earlier. It was so hilly(mini hills)..I was exhuasted, I did about 3 miles in over 35 minutes with a mixture of walking and running! Boyfriends mother asked was I out last night, told her I was just back from a run, she was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blue, I was just looking at my app this morning....I just realised I STARTED week 3....I was getting frustrated at week two! :o Ah, my competitive streak is coming out already!

Went for a run around Tallaght earlier. It was so hilly(mini hills)..I was exhuasted, I did about 3 miles in over 35 minutes with a mixture of walking and running! Boyfriends mother asked was I out last night, told her I was just back from a run, she was very impressed.

On either week 2 or 3 I found out after the week was done that I'd put the podcast onto "half speed". I was wondering why the talking sounded funny and all the runs were going on for so long :rolleyes: I didnt even know you could do that lol!

Good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Week 3 day 1 completed yesterday and day 2 done this morning, know I should break the days but won't get a run in tomorrow so said I would try it this morning as I was feeling energetic and I completed it !!!

Bring on week3day3 on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Do you think it's possible to run every day without any negative effects? I'm really enjoying it and wouldn't mind going every day - so I'd just stretch it out so that Week 3 has 5 days (I'd go Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri) instead of 3. Has anyone done that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Just after reading this thread from start to finish and have decided to start the program on Tuesday, I've always wanted to run but have always found an excuse not to but after reading all yer posts I'm inspired!

Have a few questions before I start though would love a bit of feedback/ advice from those of ye that are more experienced than me!!

1. I am relatively fit- I do fitness camps 3 times a week (have been on/off for the last 9 months) would it be ok to start the C25k program while doing this camps don't want to burn myself out but really would like to try the challenge!

2. What do ye wear when training? tracksuit bottoms/ shorts, t-shirt/hoody? I have fairly decent runners (I think!)

3. Where do ye train? Is it better to do laps of a park/football pitch or to try a route in the woods? Would teh grass be easier to run on?

Theres prob more to come but thats all I can think of for the minute :)

Since i am sooo experienced now that i am on week 7 (:P) i shall give you my take on your questions - clothes - i wear tracksuit bottoms, tshirt that 'wicks' away the sweat and a rain jacket with pockets for my keys and iphone... i run on the footpath as for me running circuits round a park/pitch would be way too boring and i would lose motivation.. if you are doing fitness camp you should be well able for it (i have never done any form of exercise and in week one thought i was never going to manage the minute runs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

oh thought of another question- obviously we've noticed a change in your fitness levels, have ye noticed a change in body shape?

intouch44 wrote: »
    oh thought of another question- obviously we've noticed a change in your fitness levels, have ye noticed a change in body shape?

I was moaning the other day that my calves are apparently made of stone now so my boots hardly close over them :p
    I havent been paying too much attention to body shape, only been doing weights a week or so
    I also walk a bit differently

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Just back from W4D1- thought it was a lot harder than week 3. Found the first 5 min run really difficult but then the last two runs werent too bad! I think i slowed down a good bit tho!

Best of luck in the marathon Rainbow Kirby

• Advertisement

w7d3 done.
    Duno, ever since that one 20min run in w5d3 I can't run more than 10mins at a go, and more like 8. I managed the run with a few 10s stops.
    I don't mean my legs are too sore or my breathing is too bad, I think they've both improved, I just... stop.
    I think I have to work on the old mental discipline a bit??
    :(

dont be so hard on yourself bluewolf... i am finding the 25 mins runs a struggle.. so what if you dont do it in the one go? as long as you do the 25 mins it doesnt really matter.. stamina will come in time...

**wonder how rainbow kirby is doing** - can you imagine doing 42K in the one go??? now that is a head wrecker :eek:

Ramette wrote: »
    dont be so hard on yourself bluewolf... i am finding the 25 mins runs a struggle.. so what if you dont do it in the one go? as long as you do the 25 mins it doesnt really matter.. stamina will come in time...

**wonder how rainbow kirby is doing** - can you imagine doing 42K in the one go??? now that is a head wrecker :eek:

But I want to do it in the one go!
    How will I manage any races if I'm stopping randomly!
    it feels like cheating if I stop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Ladies I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. You all inspire me to get off my ass and get moving. Just weighed myself today and I'm down 4 stone since last June. I still have a long way to go but am heading in the right direction. Still don't know how I am going to run 5K but will keep trying. It is getting easier now the weight is coming off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Week 6, Day 3 done!:)

I jogged/stumbled through 3.5km in 25mins, so I'll just have to fit 1.5km in to the remaining 5mins. Easy peasy :D

Seriously though, I'm so glad to be sticking with the programme, I can feel myself getting fitter and stronger (and I've been getting some lovely compliments from friends too)!

Onwards and upwards, bring it on week 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3:59:00 - my first sub-4 in glorious sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yay! Congrats! :D

Congrats!!!! :):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Planning to start this in the morning. Have my trackies, sports bra, asics and hoodie ready to go. God help me!

I have to say I looked at Week 1 and just thought I can't jog for 60 seconds! I am so unfit at the moment and haven't run since I was the athletics captain of the under 12s in primary school! Looking forward to it though and am happy to repeat a few weeks to suit my own pace. Since I'm asthmatic this seems like a likely scenario!

I shall report back post run. Eeeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Planning to start this in the morning. Have my trackies, sports bra, asics and hoodie ready to go. God help me!

I have to say I looked at Week 1 and just thought I can't jog for 60 seconds! I am so unfit at the moment and haven't run since I was the athletics captain of the under 12s in primary school! Looking forward to it though and am happy to repeat a few weeks to suit my own pace. Since I'm asthmatic this seems like a likely scenario!

I shall report back post run. Eeeek!

Just go slow. And if you need to stop short of the 60 seconds on a couple of the runs (or walk through a couple like I did, heh) in the beginning then do. Guarantee the next day will be easier ;)

I'm starting again tomorrow, all going well. On grass this time. It's a popular enough track around the pitch though so it might be a bit intimidating when proper runners start flying past me! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I did 8K on the treadmill yesterday. In about...40 mins? Would have loved to have gone longer but was on my break from work and didn't have enough time! Wish there was more hours in the day!

WOW... all hail the marathon queen....

i wont be able to complain about my 'runs' anymore! W7D2 tonight gulp...
    am getting cross at the scales though.. no weight coming off grrr

WOW... all hail the marathon queen....

i wont be able to complain about my 'runs' anymore! W7D2 tonight gulp...
    am getting cross at the scales though.. no weight coming off grrr

W8d1 tonight. I can't believe it's been 2 months already.
    My weight is about the same but I've started doing weights and putting on muscle I know, so I think it's ok. I've been told I look slimmer also.
    My jeans are falling off, though my work trousers are the same :confused:
    Oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Went into Zara yesterday specially to buy new trousers for work as my old ones are baggy ( mainly 12s) and brought in loads of size 10s- all were way too big- now I know there's a bit of vanity sizing going on there but still :eek:

I did my W8D1 this am before work and it was great but I wouldnt be able to do it very often as it took up too much time, I got up at 6.15 but between the workout, shower etc... Still have two children to feed, dress, do their hair and do school and work lunches before I can get out the door myself.

Currently in bed on my phone hiding under the covers...i know my running gear is watching me...i have a little visitor at the moment so im feeling sore and lazy...i hope i can do the full 3 min jog today as i failed miserably in it the last time as it was hilly..stupid hills!!! Currently waiting on my runners to come in the post im like an excited child everyday!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Started week 2 yesterday, felt good. Think I prefer tarmacadam to grass. Aside from the local field being dog walking central, it's a bit bobbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kizzylady

Hey just spotted this thread good to see I,ve loads of company,W5D1 for me today and feels great.Not a natural runner so probably look quite amusing to anyone watching. Reallt enjoying it though, Check out www.runningintoshape for more music downloads and encouraging words from 'Carli' Her taste in music is really good. Keep it going :)

Those three minute runs are a KILLER! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I'm about to go out to the local park to do WK1D1. I'm a little bit excited and dreading it at the same time, I can't run to save my life! This thread is a great inspiration ladies. Wish me luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Have fun :)

You'll be fine!

Advertisement