Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Any one know where can you can get reflective armbands? Struggling to find them in sport shops.

Seen these in Tesco in Maynooth
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/wowow-adjustable-reflective-bands-400mm/129-5643.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=129-5643

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

There's winter running gear in Aldi tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ok ..i'm gonna give my bootcamp one more week to judge how crippled i get during the week..if its not too bad I'm gonna start this, i need to improve how much I can run..even if its just being able to jog without my lungs giving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do it! Its a really nice program :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Has anyone any tips for breathing techniques? I find that it's my lungs not my legs that is the limiting factor on how fast/slow I can go. I've tried reducing my speed but it doesn't always work as the weeks go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Has anyone any tips for breathing techniques? I find that it's my lungs not my legs that is the limiting factor on how fast/slow I can go. I've tried reducing my speed but it doesn't always work as the weeks go on.
    Yeah, I'm the same. I feel like my legs can keep going but my lungs give up.

You should try to make the most use of your lungs - we have a tendency to only use the top so make an effort to breathe from your abdomen. It can take a bit of getting used to.

I find it helps to match my breathing to my strides and get a good rhythm going.

But after a while I stop thinking about my breathing and find myself gasping for breath again because I've gone back to my old ways! :pac:

Thanks for that.

I watched some you tube videos on the technique of breathing from the abdomen... It takes so much concentration! I tried it today and it helped a bit but after a while I reverted to my old habits. Hopefully as the weeks go on it'll come more naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Started C25K 2 days ago, I tried it during the summer but failed due to heat (living in the US) and smoking.

Gave up the smokes 4 weeks ago and started in the gym but I always get bored in the gym after a while so decided to through this into the mix to see what happens. Can't believe the difference between the Summer and now, finding it so much easier, not smoking and the gym helping alot.!!

I'll be home (Dublin) for Christmas and would like to do a 5K run if anyone knows of any tanking place around then, there normally is as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's usually one on in the Phoenix Park on New Year's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Thanks a million for that but unfortunately Ill be back in the US on 30th. I'm sure if I google it I'll find something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

I'll be home (Dublin) for Christmas and would like to do a 5K run if anyone knows of any tanking place around then, there normally is as far as I know.

There is normally a parkrun on every Saturday and as far as I know they run over Christmas, So maybe 21st and the 28th. At the moment there are 4 locations in Dublin. Check out www.parkrun.ie it a free event and you can register if you want, you don't have to registered to run the event. So that's 21st and the 28th

People at this stage must think I am a parkrun nut :P, but I just think it a great idea a free 5K run :D, most of them are to far away from me to attend regularly but when I get a chance I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I am still struggling with my time, I am getting 4k in 38 minutes. I did my one and only 5k run in 37 minutes and it's just frustrating. Does anyone have any tips on increasing speed?

I might also try and get to the Parkrun when I am in Dublin. Thanks Ultra :)

I am going to sign up for Run in the Dark to motivate me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Pembily I've recently started interval training and it's increased my speed quite a bit.
    You can tailor it to what suits yourself, but it basically entails marking out a 200m length, then run that pretty fast. Not quite flat out, but put yourself under pressure. Do that 12 times, with a 100m walk/jog in between to recover.
    I'm doing it twice a week, and increasing the quantity of them by 1 each time.

After just a few weeks of it, my long/easy runs naturally got faster, it felt like my legs were lighter or something.

Pembily wrote: »
    I am still struggling with my time, I am getting 4k in 38 minutes. I did my one and only 5k run in 37 minutes and it's just frustrating. Does anyone have any tips on increasing speed?

I might also try and get to the Parkrun when I am in Dublin. Thanks Ultra :)

I'm about same speed as you pembily. I have stopped timing myself for the time being and just focus on getting the distance comfortably. Intervals are a good idea after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sauve wrote: »
    Pembily I've recently started interval training and it's increased my speed quite a bit.
    You can tailor it to what suits yourself, but it basically entails marking out a 200m length, then run that pretty fast. Not quite flat out, but put yourself under pressure. Do that 12 times, with a 100m walk/jog in between to recover.
    I'm doing it twice a week, and increasing the quantity of them by 1 each time.

After just a few weeks of it, my long/easy runs naturally got faster, it felt like my legs were lighter or something.

I'm sort of doing intervals too but it's more like 4-5 and for a minute rather than a distance. Haven't tried to see how fast I can run a 5k yet but my LSRs are getting longer anyway

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm sort of doing intervals too but it's more like 4-5 and for a minute rather than a distance. Haven't tried to see how fast I can run a 5k yet but my LSRs are getting longer anyway

That'd be about the same I think, we do 200m in 40ish secs and the 300m ones in around 80-90 secs. Then I die :p

Ha ha
    I put the treadmill on incline 6 for those because I read the hill bit helps build up your hip flexors which makes you faster in general then. Or something.
    Might be an idea to try it flat and doing more of them then

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Others have mentioned interval training, but also consider runs longer than 5K, maybe 6 to 8 K.
    Best of luck with the race
    Try running between lamp posts, they are normally a set distance apart, sprint (80% the fastest you can run) between 2 and jog (50% the fastest you can run) between 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Any one know where can you can get reflective armbands? Struggling to find them in sport shops.

Probably a bit late but, you can order high vis running bibs, armbands, bag covers, bags etc from RSA, all completely free.

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Probably a bit late but, you can order high vis running bibs, armbands, bag covers, bags etc from RSA, all completely free.

That's really handy to know. I already got some armbands but will keep it in mind for next time. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Candy_Girl wrote: »

Thanks so much Candy_Girl - I saw this post, went on the RSA website and ordered and received a hi-vis vest and two armbands today.

I got the hi vis bibs, thanks.

I did 5km yesterday and today. The wind made it tough but I managed it. It's the first time I've run 5km on my own. Also going to do a park run on Saturday :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh the RSA stuff, what do you tick if you're not a youth club/organisation, etc?

Oh the RSA stuff, what do you tick if you're not a youth club/organisation, etc?
    Personal use.

Been good with doing LSRs and sprint intervals but less so at the in between runs, so I did one yesterday. ran 40 mins at a pace 1 kph faster than my slow runs and did 5k. It wasn't even mad difficult, I wasn't huffing and puffing. i think I could have kept going but I had somewhere to be. Also the underarm friction burn and foot blisters didn't help ;(
    Okay so it normally takes me nearly 40 mins to do 5k in a race but that tends to involve a lot of walking, so it was good to finally get it done with no breaks just consistent jogging. :)

Ky jelly is the business for friction burn.
    For an added fashion statement, turn your top inside out so the seam doesn't rub :D

Ky jelly is the business for friction burn.
    For an added fashion statement, turn your top inside out so the seam doesn't rub :D

Ah no, running with my elbow in the air looking like a tool was much more craic :D
    I ordered a couple of sleeveless tops as well, I'd wanted some anyway so I reckon they'll help. Do they help? Tell me they do!
    and special socks...
    ky is a good idea, might bring that next time

Sleeveless are better alright, but it always depends on what rubs where, you gotta just find tops that suit your armpit shape :pac:

bodyglide is also good for friction like that.
    I used it on all risky areas when walking camino a couple of years ago and didn't get a single blister.

• Advertisement

I wore a proper running top yesterday and had no issues. I think using crappy penneys tshirts was my downfall :o

Advertisement