Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU fried?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I have a spare Quad Core Q8200 which I want to use. I put it into the mobo. Power up - everything starts as normal.
    It goes into post and info (RAM, Bios version etc) starts appearing on the screen. Then everything freezes. Only way forward is to cycle power, but then it freezes again.
    Repeated test with only graphic card, fans & RAM connected - same result.

If I swap out the Quad with a simple dual core, the board boots up as normal.
    The board is supposed to support the Quad processor (updated to latest BIOS).

Can I safely assume that the processor is fried or is there some other test I can try?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If the processor was fried it wouldn't even get through POST far enough to turn on the monitor. Try resetting the CMOS, odds are a BIOS setting isn't changing to suit the change in CPU. Also try going into the BIOS and seeing if it stays stable.

Probably a silly question, but... you are replacing the thermal paste before reseating the CPU cooler and plugging the CPU fan cable back in after each swap, aren't you? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I reset the CMOS - I took out the battery and power lead as I couldn't remember which combination of pins did this. Seems to work, as the date went back to 2008.
    Can't get into the Bios at all. I press the 'Del' key as soon as I start the machine, but won't go into Bios.

Hmmm... yes, I am replacing the thermal paste every time. I'm not that much of a Noob :)

Maybe it's the board itself. I've got a new Asus P5Q Pro in the cupboard. I'll try the processor on that board and see.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    If the processor was fried it wouldn't even get through POST far enough to turn on the monitor. Try resetting the CMOS, odds are a BIOS setting isn't changing to suit the change in CPU. Also try going into the BIOS and seeing if it stays stable.

Probably a silly question, but... you are replacing the thermal paste before reseating the CPU cooler and plugging the CPU fan cable back in after each swap, aren't you? :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry :o I can't just assume everyone coming to the forum is a techie though! :o

Don't suppose you have another LGA775 system or a very understanding mate with one so you can test the Q8200 elsewhere? Doesn't sound too good for the CPU ATM though!

Another trick may be to check if there's a manual switch on the mobo for FSB speed. Unless the dualie was a E8*00 it would be on FSB800 or FSB1066. All the 45nm C2Qs use FSB1333, and if the mobo determines memory divider settings from the switch, putting in the quad could have the bus running at 333MHz but unless the switch was set to 333MHz bus speed or FSB1333 the mobo is still setting the memory divider to suit a much lower bus speed and the RAM is all being massively overclocked involuntarily! :eek:

Advertisement